Minutes Silence/Queen’s death ( merged )

Hood09

10 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

God, we are back to imposing values rubbish.
It was a minutes silence and the correct thing / decent thing to do is very easy, keep quiet. 

And more deflection from the point in hand. 
Just admit the morons shouting “FTQ” were clearly in the wrong and their actions were shameful. 

The correct thing / decent thing in your eyes.

How can you say it's not about imposing values, while insisting I give your opinion in the same post?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Fozzyonthefence

• communist

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Australis said:

What an embarrassment that was for the club last night.

Seemed to be I'll thought out and rushed.

Whoever decided to do it should be in trouble for it.

A proper minutes silence would have been better when other clubs across the country were all doing the same at the same time.

Chance to put it right in our next home game with a minutes applause to the Queen for her service to the country.

The idiots who ruined it can be drowned out.

Can’t argue with that.  We were even making a sub during it ffs!

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The correct thing / decent thing in your eyes.

How can you say it's not about imposing values, while insisting I give your opinion in the same post?

Not just my eyes, it was clearly the wrong thing to do and miles on the side of wrong.. no debate on this one. 
Those who shouted (FTQ) acted like real attention seeking scumbags. I understand the club is dealing with them, so is the club wrong here too ?
All on our first ever BT sports live  euro game… people were laughing at us, it was Shameful. 
I have tried to reason and explain further, citing behaviour of Aussie rules fans and their respect.. I’m pretty certain they are not all royalists. 

Some folk might see it as karma for the actions of the diets that interrupted the minute’s silence for the pope a number of years ago.

3 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Shouldn’t be too difficult he’s all over social media.

Also being claimed there are several individuals who are already 'banned for life' attending matches at Tynecastle on the regular so not sure that even works. 

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

The club have a copy of it and will take action needed 

been all over social media too 

What action? Legally can someone be banned for this? I doubt it. 

3 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Not just my eyes, it was clearly the wrong thing to do and miles on the side of wrong.. no debate on this one. 
Those who shouted (FTQ) acted like real attention seeking scumbags. I understand the club is dealing with them, so is the club wrong here too ?
All on our first ever BT sports live  euro game… people were laughing at us, it was Shameful. 
I have tried to reason and explain further, citing behaviour of Aussie rules fans and their respect.. I’m pretty certain they are not all royalists. 

Explain? Your argument isn't over my head, I just don't agree with the central premise.

Doctor FinnBarr
27 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Can’t argue with that.  We were even making a sub during it ffs!

No we weren't, ref blew to start the minutes silence after the sub had been made.

To the person\people who shouted FTQ at the start of the minutes silence

How would your family and friends feel when they gather after your passing ( you will, we all do ) and are having a quiet moment of reflection if someone at the back shouts out "**** him he was a dick anyway"

Regardless of your thoughts on the person you should have behaved in a civilised manner and respected the minutes silence

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Love how the old flag-shagging tory's moan about snowflakes and then need 10 days days to get over a woman who they didn't know! Don't give me any of this compassion shite - show it to your fellow people first and then I'll have some sympathy for you. Grow up, it's pathetic.

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Did you not attend or watch the game?  How could you hear GSTQ but not that?  It was clear as day!  Not sure why you’re suggesting it was off topic either - your earlier post was suggesting that those singing GSTQ were not being political and I pointed out that as soon as they were done with that they moved onto “I was born under a Union Jack” which most definitely was political. 

As I said, I don't know that song, so I'd have no idea if I was hearing, or not. Not everyone is well versed in the song book of what appears to be being presented as sectarian or bigoted. GTSQ is neither, it's the UK's national anthem and is sang and played up and down the country on a weekly basis at sporting events. I'm saying the other song is off topic because the threads about a disruption to the minutes silence; what people sing at other times is another topic imo.

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Do you think maybe we should have one section designated for those who wish to sing GSTQ / K and one for those who wish to sing Flower of Scotland?  Personally I don’t see the point of either at a Scottish football match between two Scottish teams and I’d rather they were getting behind the team and singing Hearts songs wouldn’t you?

Why would I think they should have separate sections? They can coexist absolutely fine. 

I genuinely can't fathom how this kind of stuff gets people so bothered in Scotland, I really can't. Someone sang the national anthem, boo hoo. I agree with you though, they wouldn't be my song of choice for a Hearts match, but neither offend me in any way.

Captain Tom Purdie
49 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’ve only seen the photo which showed nothing.  But if you have the video I would pass it to the club and not share it here. 

Why not share it,everybody by now has seen and heard it.

Lowlife behaviour by adults in our support who think other teams supporters are scum,clear as day the shouts of f×#× the queen.

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Explain? Your argument isn't over my head, I just don't agree with the central premise.

The central premise is about how to behave and respect. It’s sad you don’t see how wrong the behaviour was or if you do you cannot admit it due to what may be a political / republican type views (which is irrelevant here)

I’m wasting my time and yours, as there is no middle ground here. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

So 1 minutes silence should only be observed for certain folk and its OK to sing daft songs and boo if they are not head of a state?

That was my point, 1 minutes silence should be observed no matter who it is for, however it is clear for some  it depends who it is for and depending on who it is they then decide  it's OK to poke fun / be disrespectful or it must be observed and get very angry at others fir doing exactly what they themselves may have done in the past during a minutes silence. 

I am not Catholic and I don't support the royals or the monarchy. 

I stayed silent through both. 

You seem to be justifying its OK to take the piss out of the pipe dieing but it's not OK for the Queen. 

That is my problem with folk on both sides of the coin. They flip their attitudes depending on how it aligns with their beiiefs. 

There should be no 1 minutes silence fir anybody at football unless related to the club. 

Too many arseholes. 

I am anti-monarchy and I have no time for the catholic church.  I also don't really give too much of a hoot if an 85 yearold footballer who played for another team passes away (over and above the fact its sad when almost anyone dies beyond a West or Saville type beasty).

I wouldn't think for a second of disrupting a moment of respect for anyone as it may mean something to someone else, whether I agree or not.  Not for me to be involved frankly.  I often see it as I'm waiting while others pay respect.  I've also been involved in silences which have me proper choked up and I'd be pretty pissed off if someone shat on them.

It's simple.  People are small minded (and or drunk/coked out their tits).

We can ***** about all we want being offended and taking moral highgrounds on our laptops and phones, but thems the simple facts.

Queen died.  Shame, a lady passed away.  My opinion is it was mental to hold an impromptu mins silence for a number of reasons but they did.  Shut yer pus, let people who care grieve.

There's the flag debate and I have extremely strong views on it.  This mins silence and a woman's death have absolutely nothing to do with it frankly as it was there before last night and will be there next week.

In short, this thread is silly and probably better fought out in the shed by those who chose to fight things out over there (I only check in on the crap jokes thread and anything which looks like it may have recommendations of good sausages)

24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What action? Legally can someone be banned for this? I doubt it. 

Banned folk for the pope minute silence so a precedent has been set. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, SectionN said:

Is there any proof of that? I know someone who was arrested at Celtic Park for the worst sectarian abuse ever heard, who wasn’t banned and was sold a ticket for the away game there a few weeks back. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

So 1 minutes silence should only be observed for certain folk and its OK to sing daft songs and boo if they are not head of a state?

That was my point, 1 minutes silence should be observed no matter who it is for, however it is clear for some  it depends who it is for and depending on who it is they then decide  it's OK to poke fun / be disrespectful or it must be observed and get very angry at others fir doing exactly what they themselves may have done in the past during a minutes silence. 

I am not Catholic and I don't support the royals or the monarchy. 

I stayed silent through both. 

You seem to be justifying its OK to take the piss out of the pipe dieing but it's not OK for the Queen. 

That is my problem with folk on both sides of the coin. They flip their attitudes depending on how it aligns with their beiiefs. 

There should be no 1 minutes silence fir anybody at football unless related to the club. 

Too many arseholes. 

staying silent?  youve got plenty to say.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Sherbet said:

staying silent?  youve got plenty to say.

A forum is a place fur discussion. 

A minutes silence is not. 

Please do keep up. 

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Please do keep up. 

can i ask for a bit of advice   how do i put you on ignore?

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Please do keep up. 

4 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

The central premise is about how to behave and respect. It’s sad you don’t see how wrong the behaviour was or if you do you cannot admit it due to what may be a political / republican type views (which is irrelevant here)

I’m wasting my time and yours, as there is no middle ground here. 

The central premise is that there's one way to behave. Others clearly feel differently, that's society, and if it isn't illegal then you just need to deal with it. It was a bit distasteful to me but so what? Much worse happens at Tynecastle every other week from loads more people but we've pretty much ignored it for decades.

But what can you do except get on with it and accept that there are people out there you just don't understand. I'll happily slag the diet hun element in our support, a much bigger problem if our club's reputation genuinely is so important. But it's just my opinion, they think they're right too.

(The more I think about it, it's actually pretty amazing there wasn't more dissent)

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is there any proof of that? I know someone who was arrested at Celtic Park for the worst sectarian abuse ever heard, who wasn’t banned and was sold a ticket for the away game there a few weeks back. 

Banning is surely more symbolic than anything, who gets their ID checked on the way in?

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

can i ask for a bit of advice   how do i put you on ignore?

Oh naw, I'll miss your insightful and witty posts. 

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, SectionN said:

Did we? 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I am anti-monarchy and I have no time for the catholic church.  I also don't really give too much of a hoot if an 85 yearold footballer who played for another team passes away (over and above the fact its sad when almost anyone dies beyond a West or Saville type beasty).

I wouldn't think for a second of disrupting a moment of respect for anyone as it may mean something to someone else, whether I agree or not.  Not for me to be involved frankly.  I often see it as I'm waiting while others pay respect.  I've also been involved in silences which have me proper choked up and I'd be pretty pissed off if someone shat on them.

We can ***** about all we want being offended and taking moral highgrounds on our laptops and phones, but thems the simple facts.

Queen died.  Shame, a lady passed away.  My opinion is it was mental to hold an impromptu mins silence for a number of reasons but they did.  Shut yer pus, let people who care grieve.

There's the flag debate and I have extremely strong views on it.  This mins silence and a woman's death have absolutely nothing to do with it frankly as it was there before last night and will be there next week.

In short, this thread is silly and probably better fought out in the shed by those who chose to fight things out over there (I only check in on the crap jokes thread and anything which looks like it may have recommendations of good sausages)

Agreed. 

Just now, Smithee said:

The central premise is that there's one way to behave. Others clearly feel differently, that's society, and if it isn't illegal then you just need to deal with it. It was a bit distasteful to me but so what? Much worse happens at Tynecastle every other week from loads more people but we've pretty much ignored it for decades.

But what can you do except get on with it and accept that there are people out there you just don't understand. I'll happily slag the diet hun element in our support, a much bigger problem if our club's reputation genuinely is so important. But it's just my opinion, they think they're right too.

(The more I think about it, it's actually pretty amazing there wasn't more dissent)

Diet Hun, that chat is very Celtic in nature and nonsense .. as for the songs, not my cup of tea, but this conversation is not about that, so please stop trying to deflect it onto that and use it as an excuse. 
More dissent, very few people get out of bed with a massive chip on their shoulder and most know how to behave.. clearly at least 2 at the game and possibly more, et tu Smithee ?
Can we stop this conversation it’s going no where. 

Fozzyonthefence
42 minutes ago, Taffin said:

As I said, I don't know that song, so I'd have no idea if I was hearing, or not. Not everyone is well versed in the song book of what appears to be being presented as sectarian or bigoted. GTSQ is neither, it's the UK's national anthem and is sang and played up and down the country on a weekly basis at sporting events. I'm saying the other song is off topic because the threads about a disruption to the minutes silence; what people sing at other times is another topic imo.

Why would I think they should have separate sections? They can coexist absolutely fine. 

I genuinely can't fathom how this kind of stuff gets people so bothered in Scotland, I really can't. Someone sang the national anthem, boo hoo. I agree with you though, they wouldn't be my song of choice for a Hearts match, but neither offend me in any way.

Hearts were representing Scotland in Europe last night but I never heard the Scottish national anthem once.   Not that I feel that is the place for it anyway. 

GSTQ is only ever sung at one ground in Scotland, or rather by only one set of supporters (last night was the first  time I can even recall our tea towel waving brigade singing it).

I don’t know if you were at the game but can I ask - did you hear the two guys shout FTQ?

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Hearts were representing Scotland in Europe last night but I never heard the Scottish national anthem once.   Not that I feel that is the place for it anyway. 

GSTQ is only ever sung at one ground in Scotland, or rather by only one set of supporters (first time I can even recall our tea towel waving brigade singing it).

I don’t know if you were at the game but can I ask - did you hear the two guys shout FTQ?

I wasn't at the game, no. Yes, their shouts were quite audible on TV. 

I actually thought at the time I heard a snippet of flower of Scotland interestingly but I think I imagined it.

Anyway, you've evidently got some kind of issue with British people singing GSTQ for whatever reason, so it's probably best we just leave it there. I'll await the outcry if Lewis Hamilton wins on Sunday and it's played on the podium.

Edited by Taffin

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Jambo na hÉireann said:

Why wasn’t she titled ‘Elizabeth the First and Second’?

Should’ve been 

Fozzyonthefence
33 minutes ago, SectionN said:

Can’t say I remember that but it was a long time ago. Did they get banned for booing (seems unlikely) or something more serious?

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I wasn't at the game, no. Yes, they're shouts were quite audible on TV. 

I actually thought at the time I heard a snippet of flower of Scotland interestingly but I think I imagined it.

Anyway, you've evidently got some kind of issue with British people singing GSTQ for whatever reason, so it's probably best we just leave it there. I'll await the outcry if Lewis Hamilton wins on Sunday when and it's played on the podium.

He’s unlikely to win and it will be gstK surely. 

14 minutes ago, Jambo na hÉireann said:

Why wasn’t she titled ‘Elizabeth the First and Second’?

There is a parliamentary act about the succession of Kings and Queens..if there is to be a king named James he would he would be James viii..

7 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Football and politics mixing badly? What a shocker. 

As we move on from this - how about as Hearts fans we adopt the "Only Hearts" moniker from a while back. 

Leave all the politics, be it Brit nationalism or republican leanings or indy leanings at home. 

Support Hearts and everyone will get on fine. 

48 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Best two posts on this thread and sums up where most supporters stand I'd imagine ..

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, cliffdanum said:

There is a parliamentary act about the succession of Kings and Queens..if there is to be a king named James he would he would be James viii..

Yes and Scotland has never had a Queen Elizabeth before her so it should I&II.

I propose that Hearts take a real lead here within the realms of Scottish football and appointment a " minute silence" officer.

Part of their remit could be to do a sort of risk assessment of any such future minute silences and also a detailed document for all fans in attendance clearly stating the required etiquette in a bullet point type of format. They could monitor future " minutes" 

and could offer training days and refreshers to not only our fans but for all of scottish football. We could practice them prior to kick off, ensuring the next one we have reaches the standards required. 

May even be a route to re introduce former players / managers to a new role within the club.

Forward thinking, proactive Hearts is the club I want to be associated with ! 

• Moderators

I think everyone has said their piece from all sides of the argumeent. If anyone wants to continue to discuss the ins and outs of having a minute’s silence for the Queen then please do so in The Shed. 

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic