Qatar

ri Alban

I've never fancied going to these parts, but the more I hear from other people, the more I change my mind . Especially Dubai. 

WC will be good, as always.

Edited by ri Alban

Qatar is worse than Dubai. You have to set your watch back about 1,000 years there. 

It was a terrible idea to have the WC in Qatar. Stadiums built by slaves. Various human rights abuses. A tinpot dictatorship in charge with medieval backwards laws and they treat woman like pets.

I'm glad Scotland aren't going. I can see a few English fans getting locked up for years without trial for doing very little wrong such is the nature of the place. 

Some woman got raped there, reported it and ended up getting 100 lashes and 7 years in jail for adultery. That's the kind of backwards shitehole Qatar is. 

24 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Qatar is worse than Dubai. You have to set your watch back about 1,000 years there. 

It was a terrible idea to have the WC in Qatar. Stadiums built by slaves. Various human rights abuses. A tinpot dictatorship in charge with medieval backwards laws and they treat woman like pets.

I'm glad Scotland aren't going. I can see a few English fans getting locked up for years without trial for doing very little wrong such is the nature of the place. 

Some woman got raped there, reported it and ended up getting 100 lashes and 7 years in jail for adultery. That's the kind of backwards shitehole Qatar is. 

What's Dubai like, I'm tempted to book it for my 25th wedding anniversary/50th birthday next year. Golf resort with all the luxuries is what I'm looking for, a wee round or two while the Mrs lives it up in Resort. Or will I just go to la manga. :D

These places are fine to visit. Just a few activities you need to avoid. And as long as you don't care about the people who live there who aren't rich straight men. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

These places are fine to visit. Just a few activities you need to avoid. And as long as you don't care about the people who live there who aren't rich straight men. 

Have heard horror stories of westerners visiting places like these and getting locked up for nothing more than being a bit drunk. No trial, no explanation. Simply locked away for months or years then released. 

As you say local women treated like animals.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

\Aye i think ill give it a miss. 

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

\Aye i think ill give it a miss. 

Yup, if you want to go on holiday and get stoned i would recommend Amsterdam, not Qatar. 

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

Yup, if you want to go on holiday and get stoned i would recommend Amsterdam, not Qatar. 

True 😂 however you don’t need to Amsterdam to get stoned ( apparently ) 😎

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

True 😂 however you don’t need to Amsterdam to get stoned ( apparently ) 😎

So I've been told 🤔

3 hours ago, jonesy said:

I think that ri, coming as he does from Paisley, views Qatar as quite progressive.

They have some good ideas.

57 minutes ago, Kenbo said:

Quite like Qatar. Been up for a few long weekends from Riyadh. Some cracking Champagne Brunches to be had in the hotels.

Is it as bad as they say, or if you mind your Ps and Qs you'll be fine?

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What's Dubai like, I'm tempted to book it for my 25th wedding anniversary/50th birthday next year. Golf resort with all the luxuries is what I'm looking for, a wee round or two while the Mrs lives it up in Resort. Or will I just go to la manga. :D

Dubai is unbelievable, despite what some folk (who probably have never been themselves) say. We went a few years ago, completely unsure on it but just went for a few days break to see for ourselves and if we didn’t like it then it wasn’t a long break. Came home and booked again as soon as we could. It really does have everything. Golf is brilliant over there too…the courses are fantastic. Loads to choose from 👍🏻 We’re going back next week. Can’t wait!

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

They have some good ideas.

What “ good ideas “ do they have ? Can you enlighten us ? 

2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Lol, yup, I can't see that ending well for you. 🙂  

Aye if your a slapper and gobby it might not 😂😂😂 

2 hours ago, Kenbo said:

Quite like Qatar. Been up for a few long weekends from Riyadh. Some cracking Champagne Brunches to be had in the hotels.

Never went to Qatar but used to pop over to Bahrain for a few legal drinks from Jubail. 

Never fancied it. Heard its good from a few people but expensive. Something about it apart from the expense puts me off, I would rather goto Thailand for a few weeks. Cannie wait to go back. 

We'll see how these tinpot diddy regimes get on after we transition to renewable power and stop buying their oil.

All of them are total heidbangers and only get away with it because we can't risk them shutting off the oil pump like they did in the 1970s.

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

4 hours ago, FionaHmfc said:

Dubai is unbelievable, despite what some folk (who probably have never been themselves) say. We went a few years ago, completely unsure on it but just went for a few days break to see for ourselves and if we didn’t like it then it wasn’t a long break. Came home and booked again as soon as we could. It really does have everything. Golf is brilliant over there too…the courses are fantastic. Loads to choose from 👍🏻 We’re going back next week. Can’t wait!

Dubai is absolutely awful. If I never have to go back (unlikely as I'm going in a few months time) I'd be happy. Full of pretentious twats all trying to 'out-Dubai' each other. Don't get me wrong, there's a couple of cool things there to see and do, but if you just want beaches, sun and golf, go to Portugal, save yourself a tonne of cash and have a better time. If you saw someone treating their service staff - traditionally Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Filipino/etc. - at home, the way they do there, you'd be having words with them. It's a horrible, horrible place. 

If you want to try the Middle East can I suggest Abu Dhabi? It's a 2 hour drive from Dubai (if you really must visit it), and it's a much better atmosphere and place to be. Plus you get the massive water park, FerrariWorld and F1 track (if that's your thing) on Yas Island. It also has the Grand Mosque, which truly has to be seen to be believed. 

Edited by trotter

8 hours ago, XB52 said:

Never went to Qatar but used to pop over to Bahrain for a few legal drinks from Jubail. 

Sherlock Holmes by any chancev 😂

periodictabledancer
14 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Don't.

We stopped there for a few days on the way back from Mauritius this year 

Awful place.

The wife hated it. 

Chavtastic. 

Jambo_jim2001

Worked over there, wouldn't holiday in any Arab country myself though,yet have mates who loved holidaying over there. It's all down to individual preference.

On 08/09/2022 at 08:03, ri Alban said:

Get up to the highlands mate, great scenary ,food, water, no faffing about airports.

4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Get up to the highlands mate, great scenary ,food, water, no faffing about airports.

I plan to, but I want some sun for once, bud.  🌅

Malinga the Swinga

Been to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Preferred Dubai but both good for holiday, especially in Oct/Nov when our weather is shit.

The way they treat their staff is no different to the way the wealthy treat their staff anywhere. Personally, I treat people I meet as decent as I can, and find that they tend to do same in return.

For those pretentious folk who turn their noses up at Dubai, Qatar or other Arab countries, then I'm sure they won't miss you or your attitudes.