SPL Rivals - what are our thoughts?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

What are our thoughts on our SPL rivals for the season ahead?

I know there is still a full month before the season proper begins and things could still change between now & then but how do we think they are shaping up for the season ahead?

Gigolo-Aunt

Dundee United will kick on and again improve.

Motherwelll will struggle to meet top 6 this year.

Hibs will struggle and Mixu will survive the season against voices from the stands.

Aberdeen is a tough one as a lot of players have come and gone. If it dont click though, Calderwood could be in trouble.

Rangers or Celtic will both be poor sides.

Hamilton after September will really struggle.

Charlie-Brown

I don't understand what's going on at Rangers, they've signed an entire replacement striker dept. without letting any of the others go, nor have they let other players go either whilst still trying to add Davies (permanently) and *****tu to their ranks.

Celtic are finding it hard to attract or afford better than they already have.

Hibs don't appear to be a happy camp or making much progress at present. :)

Dundee United have been quietly strengthening and probably start favourites for 3rd place.

Motherwell will be an achievement to stand still as they losing players and can't afford to replace them.

Aberdeen - see Hibs above. :)

gorgierules

Dundee Utd - Will kick on again this year..Will be big games against them!

Abderdeen - mmmmm think they might hang around 5/6 all season again

Hibs - Might struggle, Mixu's stock seems to be dropping not sure if he will last the season?

Rangers/Celtic - Usual, pish poor teams for old firm standards, but will still carry on the usual!

Motherwell - Not sure yet if they will repeat last year or not?

Gigolo-Aunt

Really think there is a chace to cement ourselved back in the top 3/4. United will be our rivals this season. If we can not press the self destruct buttton, we will be fine.

Dundee United will kick on and again improve.

Motherwelll will struggle to meet top 6 this year.

Hibs will struggle and Mixu will survive the season against voices from the stands.

Aberdeen is a tough one as a lot of players have come and gone. If it dont click though, Calderwood could be in trouble.

Rangers or Celtic will both be poor sides.

Hamilton after September will really struggle.

Pretty fair reflection if you ask me.... although i'd add that the poor old firm sides will still get a fairly easy ride - suspect Rangers will come out on top this time though.

Clerry Jambo

As things stand I would fancy Celtic for the title again.

Agree with previous posts and The Tangerines current favs for 3rd place.

Motherwell I think will struggle, may even fall out bottom 6.

Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Falkirk to battle for 4th, 5th and 6th.

Jefferies to resign at end of season:rolleyes:

Well this could make horrific reading at the end of the season, lets just hope we at least get a challenge in for yoorup

Hibs and Aberdeen are difficult to call. Player changes could work or be disastrous. I think Hibs position is a bit more chancy though.

I expect Dundee Utd to finish third with a solid base and some improvement over last season.

Motherwell will again provide a strong challenge.

I struggle to understand any coherent strategy at Ibrox but Walter Smith has demonstrated an ability to find a game plan and stick to it. I expect a major sell, either Cuellar or McGregor, and the expected signing of ****tu pointing to the former. Its possible they will sell both though. I expect they will use the proceeds to buy to shore up their midfield particularly with the early absence of Ferguson.

The silence from Celtic is ominous. Knowing they are in the CL Group Stage allows them to take their time and be confident both in their sending power and their attractiveness to players. I expect 1-3 signings, certainly a left back and maybe Maloney back. A relatively young team last year who will improve as a result of their experiences. To win the league more comfortably than last season.

Fat Striker

Aberdeen - They are so hard to predict but I think they might scrape into the top 6 again.

Celtic - Expect them to be champions again to be honest. I'm sure they'll make a couple of 'big' signings before August 31st.

Dundee United - If all goes well for us then I expect them to be our main challengers for 3rd spot.

Falkirk - Expect Hughes to continue the excellent job he's doing. They've made some decent signings and I expect them to get in to top 6.

Hamilton - Think they will survive this Season.

Hibs - It's maybe an obvious statement or perhaps just wishful thinking on my part but I think they will struggle and think Mixu will be gone by Christmas. Think they will lose Fletcher.

ICT - Along with Kilmarnock my relegation candidates.

Kilmarnock - Think JJ might have taken them as far as he can. I expect them to be near the foot of the table.

Motherwell - With a weakened squad, this will be a big season for McGhee as he tries to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. Think they will be challenging for top 6 but will ultimately lose out.

Rangers - Will no doubt push Celtic all the way but will the Ibrox faithful be happy with negative tactics for a second season?

St Mirren - Think they will stay up but will be bottom 3

In conclusion my prediction is:

Celtic

Rangers

Hearts!

Dundee United

Falkirk

Aberdeen

Motherwell

Hibs

Hamilton

St Mirren

Kilmarnock

ICT

Sellik, Huns, Arabs, Steel(less)men, Hobos, Sheep, St Bribery, ICT, Bairns, Accies, Killie....

GET THEM PUMPED!!!

Celtic and Rangers will get all the referee decisions again this season, which will eep them at the top.

Hibs will struggle - no quality.

Motherwell will find it hard to match what they did last season, but still satisfy the fans.

Dundee United will continue to improve.

Falkirk will be the surprise team.. youngsters are beginning to come of age.

Aberdeen will yet again flump.

ICT and Kilmarnock will battle with Hamilton at the bottom.

St Mirren.. average as usual.. won't have any worries about relegation.

So my predicted table -

Celtic

Rangers

Dundee United

Hearts

Falkirk

Motherwell

St Mirren

Aberdeen

Hobos :107years:

ICT

Kilmarnock

Hamilton

I am going to be bold again*

Celtic

Hearts

Rankgers

Dundee United

Falkirk

Motherwell

St Mirren

Aberdeen

ICT

Kilmarnock

Hobos

Hamilton

* I have won the JKB prediction before - but don't count last year

Cardiac Rucksack
If we make 3 or 4 decent quality signings we should easily finish third.

I think we need to see who we bring in or are allowed to bring in. Dont think at present we have anywhere near enough quality to challenging for third. I woul db e happy with 4th or 5th at present.

maroonedinoz

This is the way I see it but its a toss up between the ugly sisters for one and two.

I think dundee United will be streets ahead of the place in third place, and if HIbs lose thier first two games, as they well could - against Dundee Utd and Rangers, then they could be shaking for the rest of the season.

with Vlad in charge - impossible to say with any conviction how we will do, but expect top six spot..

Celtic

Rangers

Dundee United

Aberdeen

Motherwell

Hearts

Hibs

ICT

Falkirk

Killie

St Mirren

Hamilton

Think Dundee united will have 3rd place this year with motherwell just behind them, think both mark mcgee and craig levin are the best managers out side the old firm and i also believe they have the best squads outside the old firm quality wise with us having the most quantity!!

Hibs will be poor but we will be poorer unless we make massive changes in all departments and with the squad of players we have just now we will just sneak top six if very lucky. If we make these changes i think we could mount a big push for 3rd.

Celtic

rangers

dundee united

motherwell

aberdeen

hearts

hibs

falkirk

ict

killie

hamilton

saint's

Famous Hearts
I think we need to see who we bring in or are allowed to bring in. Dont think at present we have anywhere near enough quality to challenging for third. I woul db e happy with 4th or 5th at present.

Exactly.For all the renewed optimism of the last few days there has been no mention of a transfer kitty and all the signs are that we are emptying the big wage earners. Or are we just emptying the under-achievers. All will become clear in the next few weeks and will determine whether or not I stick 100 quid on the JT's for best of the rest!;)

Regular John

Celtic

Rangers

Dundee Utd

Motherwell

Falkirk

Aberdeen

Hearts

ICT

St Mirren

Hibs

Hamilton

Kilmarnock

I think we need a proper squad overhaul before we can be considered challengers even for the top 6, far too many wasters and under achievers still on the books, until they're emptied we'll see.

Expect Hamilton young side to stay up at the expense of Killie who look to be becoming weaker rapidly and badly in need of being freshened up as Jefferies to me appears likes he's lost interest.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Aberdeen - Mince one week, scraping results the next. Top 6.

Celtic - Champions again, even though they have some dreadful players

Dundee Utd - 3rd. Craig Levein is building a good side there and Eddie Thompson's illness is a motivating factor.

Falkirk - Still a bottom six team but will be safe

Hamilton - Will surprise folk and stay up

Heart of Midlothian - Instant improvement now we have a manager but unless the playing side improves significantly, the best we can hope for is Top6, sadly.

h**s - They have big problems. Pantyliner is doing an excellent job. Bottom 6.

ICT - Going down.

Kilmarnock - Will be fighting relegation but will stay up.

Motherwell - Top 6 again now that McGhee is staying although injuries could change that given the size of their squad.

Rangers - 2nd to a poor Celtic says it all

St Bribery - 11th again. Pity.

DUFC - Favourites for 3rd place

Hibs - Going backward. Defeat in Intertoto is sign of decline not that they will win the wee cup. Their own fans even say they that the flair is gone and it is long-ball from now on.

Motherwell - Will struggle to match last season. Europe will be a short-lived distraction.

Aberdeen- 6th. Loss of Nicholson will hurt, and still struggle to attract talent to the north. Should concentrate on bringing through youth, though ICT have shrunk their catchment are in last few years.

Rangers - Walt going a bit mad in the transfer market again. Will likely offload Cousin, Gow and perhaps Boyd unless Boyd is a typically stupid fan rather than professional. Old CBs will find it a tough season, and will fall behind early due to loss of Ferguson.

Celtic - Unable to attract better players than they have it seems. Have hit the glass ceiling of Scottish football. Still favourites for the title though.

Relegation favourite: St Mirren.

Drylaw Hearts

Dundee Utd currently look best placed to finish 3rd.

At the moment there is very little between :

Hearts

Aberdeeen

Hibs

Motherwell

Falkirk

Inverness, St Mirren and Killie will occupy the bottom 6.

Hamilton will be relegated.

Captain Lithuania
I don't understand what's going on at Rangers, they've signed an entire replacement striker dept. without letting any of the others go, nor have they let other players go either whilst still trying to add Davies (permanently) and *****tu to their ranks.

Celtic are finding it hard to attract or afford better than they already have.

Hibs don't appear to be a happy camp or making much progress at present. :)

Dundee United have been quietly strengthening and probably start favourites for 3rd place.

Motherwell will be an achievement to stand still as they losing players and can't afford to replace them.

Aberdeen - see Hibs above. :)

Rangers only signed Velicka to p**s us off..

Captain Lithuania
Dundee Utd currently look best placed to finish 3rd.

At the moment there is very little between :

Hearts

Aberdeeen

Hibs

Motherwell

Falkirk

Inverness, St Mirren and Killie will occupy the bottom 6.

Hamilton will be relegated.

I reckon Inverness will be relegated.

1. Rangers

2. Celtic

3. Dundee Utd

4. Motherwell

5 HMFC

6. Aberdeen

7.Hibs

8. Falkirk

9. Kilmarnock

10. Inverness Caley

11. Hamilton

12. St Mirren (Bout bloody time)

Drylaw Hearts

It concerns me that you are actually serious.

He will probably be either in the stands or on the bench most weeks although i reckon he will start against us home and away and probably score at least one if not the winner!

Only a Game

Rangers and Celtic at the top obviously. Dont know which order and dont care. Its too close to call. However if one of them runs away with it early doors I thinks there's a chance the other one can be caught.

Hearts in third. We already have the best group of players in the league outwith the OF. Hopefully we are going to add to that and provided Shabba is allowed to get on with it I think we should be getting third by a distance.

4th & 5th is between Dundee Utd and Aberdeen and 6th between Motherwell and Falkirk.

Hibs will be bottom six but safe.

Hamilton will stay up IMO

Kilmarnock, ICT and St Mirren fighting relegation with St Mirren going down.

If the new puppet (oops i mean manager) is allowed to do his job, he may cement a top 6 finish for us.

Tho, chances of that are slim as the pint-sized looney will want his say in things he knows absolutely nothing about as per usual .... so a relegation dog-fight with Hamilton & St Mirren is more likely.

Dundee Utd will finish 3rd, as they have a good manager.

Aberdeen & Falkirk have made the best signings so far in the close-season.

Rangers and Celtic at the top obviously. Dont know which order and dont care. Its too close to call. However if one of them runs away with it early doors I thinks there's a chance the other one can be caught.

Hearts in third. We already have the best group of players in the league outwith the OF. Hopefully we are going to add to that and provided Shabba is allowed to get on with it I think we should be getting third by a distance.

4th & 5th is between Dundee Utd and Aberdeen and 6th between Motherwell and Falkirk.

Hibs will be bottom six but safe.

Hamilton will stay up IMO

Kilmarnock, ICT and St Mirren fighting relegation with St Mirren going down.

Bit in bold - No we dont !!!!!!

Only a Game
Bit in bold - No we dont !!!!!!

Who has a better group of players than us then ?

Who has a better group of players than us then ?

Last season proved that Utd, Aberdeen & Motherwell all had better players .... LEague positions over the season do NOT lie!!

Only a Game
Last season proved that Utd, Aberdeen & Motherwell all had better players .... LEague positions over the season do NOT lie!!

Last season proved nothing of the sort !

Last season proved that we needed a manager and coaching staff with full control who could motivate, organise and train the players and put out a settled team with proper tactics, instead of the utter shambles that we had almost from day 1.

Every group of players who finished above our group of players had that. We didnt and it showed. When we took the first steps to putting things right by giving Frail a bit more normality in the way the team was selected and set up, it was proven that we were better than them.

We need a couple of strikers now because we have got rid of 3 decent ones but as a group of players, purely talent wise, we are streets ahead of the likes of Dundee Utd, Aberdeen and Motherwell.

Smoked-Glass

rangers

celtic

hibs

aberdeen

motherwell

hamilton

st mirren

kilmarnock

Dundee united

Falkirk

ICT

All will be our rivals

Have to agree, every one is forgeting that we still have the same s**t players as last season regardless of wether we have a manager or not, guys like miko, 28, 29, zali, chesney will all still be around the squad or taking a place in the reserve's. None of those players would make it into any of the top five clubs in Scotland so with at LEAST three of our starting 11 have to be from one of those players i cant see us finishing above motherwell, united, aberdeen!

Unless we see a massive overhaul of players leaving and good players coming in its going to be another long season, Monday will for me show how we mean to go on i.e. shape, formation....cause shaba will have no idea who to play only having watch them train once so AK will be the one picking the team and for me shaba is AK's number 2 so it will be interesting to see who feature's.

jamboinglasgow

Aberdeen - they have brought 1 or 2 good players in but they are replacing good players that have left think they wont be so lucky this season

Celtic- think they will make a decent sized signing but they were lucky to get the league partly due to the Rangers fatigue (but serves rangers right for playing too many games :P)

Dundee United - like others I feel CL will go from strengh to strength and has developed his squad further. 3rd place for them

Falkirk - Will be in the top 6, have some good lads playing good football who will grow in stature this season.

Hamilton - will surprise many people by staying up, they will not go too high but will stay up.

Hearts - Csaba will start building his own squad and with a mix of youth and experence and hard work the team will be in the top 6

Hibs - been buying the best players of low SPL teams and able to grind results but will miss out of top 6 football. Fletcher will be sold by the end of summer transfer window.

ICT - they will not be great this season and Niculae may go by end of summer.

Kilmarnock - another poor season for Killie however they will just manage to stay up. However new young players will emerge that will help their next season.

Motherwell - wont be as succesful as kast season but will still have a decent season.

Rangers - Will win a close fought league against Celtic. WGS will change his tactics slightly, that is why he has bought so many strikers. He will buy a creative midfielder however they will have a bad season in CL.

St Mirren - Will get relegated, Gus cant keep them going as they have been luckly in the past as having two awful teams below them.

Rangers

Celtic

Dundee United

Hearts

Falkirk

Motherwell

Hibs

Aberdeen

Hamilton

Killie

ICT

St Mirren

Promoted - either Dundee or St Johnstone.

Only a Game
so with at LEAST three of our starting 11 have to be from one of those players

Where is this coming from ?

Killie have signed a few players, some of them could be really good or could bomb.

For example , they've signed Russell who was banging them in for Airdrie. He could continue it in the SPL or he could do a Wyness..

Where is this coming from ?

Its been that way since Romanov came in, last season at Saint mirren was the first time in 2 years we finished a game with no lithuaian's in the team!!

Miko/chesney start every week regardless of form, then you have zali who plays were ever Romanov fancy's since he has been a striker, attacking midfielder, holding midfielder, played wide and he plays in defence. Then you get 28ikaus who almost always gets a place on the bench if he's not starting and 29ikaus will again this season play in that silly behind the striker role that he is so useless at doing, unless shaba is actually going to have full control so it will be interesting to see what he does with these duds and how Romanov reacts to it.

Agreed that most of the players mentioned would make every one's to go list?

As always, being a "glass half full" type of guy, if shabba gets us playing as a real team, the I expect us to win it..

I have been wrong before.:(

I know there is still a full month before the season proper begins and things could still change between now & then but how do we think they are shaping up for the season ahead?

Just checked William Hills, they have us @ 125/1.

Any better odds out there?

Only a Game
Its been that way since Romanov came in, last season at Saint mirren was the first time in 2 years we finished a game with no lithuaian's in the team!!

Miko/chesney start every week regardless of form, then you have zali who plays were ever Romanov fancy's since he has been a striker, attacking midfielder, holding midfielder, played wide and he plays in defence. Then you get 28ikaus who almost always gets a place on the bench if he's not starting and 29ikaus will again this season play in that silly behind the striker role that he is so useless at doing, unless shaba is actually going to have full control so it will be interesting to see what he does with these duds and how Romanov reacts to it.

Agreed that most of the players mentioned would make every one's to go list?

Miko: One of our better players last season, deserving of a starting place especially towards the end when he was one of very few left who were actually trying.

Chesney: has spent the better part of 18 months being fit but not selected.

Probably played less than ten games last season despite being fit.

Zaluikas: rarely played at all once Karapidis got the 2nd centre half slot. Only ever featured after that when we had injuries.

Ivaskevicious : hardly played at all last season.

Yes I'd get rid of Chesney and Ivaskevicious but not Miko because I think he's got something and not Zaluikas until we are covered with two reliable and clearly better centre halfs.

Of those above, I'd say only Miko was an automatic pick last season, and for the most part that was on merit.

Only a Game
Just checked William Hills, they have us @ 125/1.

Any better odds out there?

I'd be looking for a price without the OF. Anything better than 4 or 5 to one would be worth taking in my opinion.

The squad we currently have should be good enough to see us make the top 6. All we missed last season was leadership, discipline and tactical nouse from the dug-out. From what Csaba has said so far, I'm confident that we now have at least two of those three things.

I think we are a few signings away from 3rd place. A goalkeeper, a left back, a centre half and a goalscoring striker. Possibly a creative midfielder although a good manager might get this from Larry, Miko and Driver.

Inverness will improve under Brewster. He will have them hugely fit come the start of the season and they will graft to safety easily IMHO.

Hamilton have nothing to lose, a good young manager and excellnt young players that will play without fear. They will be fine.

Will be nothing to choose between the ugly sisters from Weejieville at the top. Unfortunately can't see anyone really challenging them this season.

Dundee United will be among the closest. Fancy Falkirk to improve more this season.

I have a feeling Motherwell will struggle compared to last season and end up bottom 6.

Aberdeen will do what Aberdeen always do. Bleat on and eventually celebrate finishing top of the bottom 6.

Killie and St Midden are my favourites for the drop. The wee team could struggle too, especially if they revert to type and punt Fletcher.

Chris Evans

In no particular order

Celtic- will win the league by at least 10 points

Rangers- seem top heavy on strikers and seems that Murray is rapidly losing interest

Aberdeen-I reckon tangoman could be first mangerial casualty of the season

Motherwell- Will be top 6 but will find it difficult to sustain last seasons form

Hibs-If it werent for Killie or Hamilton they would be in serious trouble,but a cert for bottom six

Kilmarnock-Seem doomed. So no more sore knees for a season or so.

St Mirren-Crap to watch and have to win games against teams around them.Would love to see them drop though.

Hamilton-If they get off to a good start then should stay up due to Kille being in the doldrums and stale

Falkirk-Have chances of being top 6 if Hobo Hughes stays

Dundee Utd-Easily top 6,possible 3rd

ICT-Another team that will struggle

Hearts-Looking at the competition,i will be disappointed if we dont put up a good challenge for 3rd. Aside from the OF and Utd i cant see who we should worry about....If trained properley and the right players are picked in the right postions....And a couple of strikers!

Not too much too ask is it!?

In all honesty, if Vlad keeps his beak out and provides two or three new decent faces, I don't see us having a rival for 3rd and if Csaba can put positive action behind his words then Gers are certainly catchable.

Drylaw Hearts
In all honesty, if Vlad keeps his beak out and provides two or three new decent faces, I don't see us having a rival for 3rd and if Csaba can put positive action behind his words then Gers are certainly catchable.

We are about 10 good players short of putting together a squad to challenge Rangers for 2nd.

Finishing 8th last Season was not all down to poor Management.

A reality check is needed.

I'm not sure about Falkirk. They've signed a few players at the ends of their careers - McCann, Bullen and McNamara and I can't see them making the top six. How will these guys fit in to their style of passing football/kicking teams off the park? Wouldn't be surprised if they make no progress at all.

I think Killie will go down. They've lost a couple of strikers and Alan Russell and Touill are both unproven in the SPL. Plus their fans are useless and never seem to turn out for their team.

Nelly Terraces

My thoughts on our SPL rivals.

They are all total s*c*u*m and I hope we f ***** g hammer the life out of the james blunts in every single game, starting with those inbred buckie swilling dole fiends from trashtown on the 9th Aug.

Zero Tolerance.

NT.

Chris Evans
My thoughts on our SPL rivals.

They are all total s*c*u*m and I hope we f ***** g hammer the life out of the james blunts in every single game, starting with those inbred buckie swilling dole fiends from trashtown on the 9th Aug.

Zero Tolerance.

NT.

That run has used up all your teststerone NT!;)

I would agree 100% with OAG that we have the best group of individuals outside of the OF.

Yes, the league does not lie and we finished exactly where we deserved last season.

However, our opponents had their individuals moulded into a team. Our individuals were moulded into a shambles.

If we get that aspect sorted out then I would be amazed if we don't see a vast improvement this year.

Back on topic, as things stand just now,

Der Hun and Ra Sellick will be the top two. I don't care which way round.

Aberdeen, who knows? I expect them to be allright one week and crap the next.

Dundee Utd, got to be a good bet for 3rd.

Motherwell, I don't expect them to be as good as last year but I think they will still cause problems.

Falkirk, could be one to watch out for. Brought in some experiance to play along side their young team.

Hibs, have been on the slide since Monkey Heid left. Their much vaunted conveyor of young talent seems to have stuttered of late.

IMO the relegation candidates will be Killie, St Mirren, ICT and Hamilton.

Regarding Hamilton, does anyone know if they have had to lay a natural grass pitch to be allowed into the SPL?

Archived