muldoon74

OK, so I have enough money set by to do my Motorbike DAS course.. Been a dream in the making for many a year (bad luck, family circumstances etc meant in the past I've had to use my previous savings to sort stuff,.. Don't regret any of it, just a needs must scenarios every time.)

I have my class 2 truck license and have been thinking of using said monies to pay for class 1 upgrade. (better earning potential etc..)..

The question is JKB,.. What would you do? (assuming the same interest in acquiring bike and class1 licenses as I have..) 

I really want to get on two wheels and scud about the place but I also want to earn more. 

I can do both at some [point in next year or so but what, in you opinion, should I do first.?  [in no way saying i will follow your advise, it's nice to read through opinions.]

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

OK, so I have enough money set by to do my Motorbike DAS course.. Been a dream in the making for many a year (bad luck, family circumstances etc meant in the past I've had to use my previous savings to sort stuff,.. Don't regret any of it, just a needs must scenarios every time.)

I have my class 2 truck license and have been thinking of using said monies to pay for class 1 upgrade. (better earning potential etc..)..

The question is JKB,.. What would you do? (assuming the same interest in acquiring bike and class1 licenses as I have..) 

I really want to get on two wheels and scud about the place but I also want to earn more. 

I can do both at some [point in next year or so but what, in you opinion, should I do first.?  [in no way saying i will follow your advise, it's nice to read through opinions.]

Class 1, now's the time to be increasing your earning potential I reckon. You can buy second hand bikes when all the guys who made the wrong choice are selling theirs, wishing they had a class 1 license to afford them.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Class 1, now's the time to be increasing your earning potential I reckon. You can buy second hand bikes when all the guys who made the wrong choice are selling theirs, wishing they had a class 1 license to afford them.

I tend to agree with you however have just looked at training fees for class 1 at a local (however very well established and highly regarded training provider..).. 

*** 3 x what i was expecting (and can afford) I'll have to email them to see if things can be agreed upon.... 

38 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Sat and passed my bike test doing a das at age 53 and absolutely love my bike but right now? Sit your class 1. Getting close to the day when the bike gets put away for the winter anyway so you wouldn't get much use our of one for a while.

4 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Lorry, then earn to get the bike.

The Mighty Thor

Most people who own bikes have them as a second vehicle, a bit of fun etc. The kind of thing that goes when things are tight. 

Give it 6 months and you'll have the biggest buyers market you could ever dream of. 

I'm doing my class 1 the now, Just done all the theory stuff. I've got a job as a trainee driver but don't start until next year due to the demand that the training providers have and the back log the company has. If you want tramping work try A W Jenkinson, Stobarts and Gregorys they all put you through your class 1 or goto northern Ireland I seen a 5 day C+E for 750. Cheapest I got here was about 1300 all in.

8 hours ago, Herbert. said:

I'm doing my class 1 the now, Just done all the theory stuff. I've got a job as a trainee driver but don't start until next year due to the demand that the training providers have and the back log the company has. If you want tramping work try A W Jenkinson, Stobarts and Gregorys they all put you through your class 1 or goto northern Ireland I seen a 5 day C+E for 750. Cheapest I got here was about 1300 all in.

whereabout in NI is that?

Even adding up travel and a few nights in a premier inn thats still coming out well less than CTTS or GTG I think!

I think I'm erring towards doing Class 1, as mentioned I should be able to get a job that'll pay enough to do DAS off of first months wages with some to spare. 

I'm looking at trunking as opposed to tramping.. Don't want to be spending the week away living in a cab even though the money would be great, when I can get plenty enough cash on a monday to friday trunking with plenty to spare. 

9 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Most people who own bikes have them as a second vehicle, a bit of fun etc. The kind of thing that goes when things are tight. 

Give it 6 months and you'll have the biggest buyers market you could ever dream of. 

I've seen some fantastic deals on bikes from dealers at the moment. Although I don't want to buy from a dealer for my first bike as I'm going top drop it at some point and will cry when it's damaged.. 

Doctor FinnBarr
20 hours ago, graygo said:

Sat and passed my bike test doing a das at age 53 and absolutely love my bike but right now? Sit your class 1. Getting close to the day when the bike gets put away for the winter anyway so you wouldn't get much use our of one for a while.

Would you class yourself as a biker or motorcyclist mate?

6 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Would you class yourself as a biker or motorcyclist mate?

Didn't know there was a difference to be honest but having googled it I'm a motorcyclist. Not that I would ever call myself that, I don't even use the word motorcycle. 😄 It's just a hobby, a toy. 

Doctor FinnBarr
16 minutes ago, graygo said:

Didn't know there was a difference to be honest but having googled it I'm a motorcyclist. Not that I would ever call myself that, I don't even use the word motorcycle. 😄 It's just a hobby, a toy. 

Never ever a toy, toys do not kill but a motorcycle can and will if not treated with respect. 43 years of holding a bike licence taught me that, lost too many mates in that time although many of them were down to other road users.

That thing you do
On 27/08/2022 at 19:06, muldoon74 said:

Get the bike. Start a YT channel of your adventures on it a get the class 1 through that.

Im doing the same. Ive wanted a bike to explore/travel with for years and Im booking classes soon.

8 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Never ever a toy, toys do not kill but a motorcycle can and will if not treated with respect. 43 years of holding a bike licence taught me that, lost too many mates in that time although many of them were down to other road users.

Absolutely it can kill me. Hopefully it doesn't.

I would say get the class 1, and that's speaking as a biker of over 40 years, owned around 19 and rode them professionally as well. If budget is an issue, and you go for a bike, factor in getting the very best helmet, gloves, leathers/suit and boots you possibly can. Buy right and they will last years and give you protection you need. As the old saying goes, 'if you have a ten bob head, buy a ten bob helmet'.

Also factor in further training. Two things keep you safe. Training and experience. They go hand in hand but you can't buy experience. You can offset that by getting the best training you can after you pass your test. I've seen plenty of gentlemen of a certain age who bought a bike and 'ran out of talent'. And without wanting to sound preachy, it's not the same as driving a car or anything else. The levels of road sense, awareness, observations and road positioning required are entirely different and at a much higher level. The IAM are very god, one off fee gets you as any sessions as you need to get to a more advanced level.

I love bikes, but if you do it, do it right. I'd say the class 1 is a life skill that will make you money. Biking will only cost you money. That's fine, but the way the world is going, earning potential is a much better option in the short term. 

39 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Also factor in further training. Two things keep you safe. Training and experience. They go hand in hand but you can't buy experience. You can offset that by getting the best training you can after you pass your test. I've seen plenty of gentlemen of a certain age who bought a bike and 'ran out of talent'. And without wanting to sound preachy, it's not the same as driving a car or anything else. The levels of road sense, awareness, observations and road positioning required are entirely different and at a much higher level. The IAM are very god, one off fee gets you as any sessions as you need to get to a more advanced level.

You get that experience from riding your bike on the reg . 

Was astonished to see how pricey DAS courses have gotten . I was 500 quid 6 years ago and now it seems youre looking to pay around 800.

Get the class one, youll need it , my bike costs me a fortune. To be fair thats mostly down to it never being out of Race Mode and rarely ridden at acceptable speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't investigated but this could be an affordable route?

Category C+E (Class 1) - Driver CPC Training (driverhiretraining.co.uk) 

Edit - holy crap!!! Just did a quick investigate. I wouldn't describe it as easily affordable but if it gets you your ticket at least you'd have better earning potential to pay it off.

Edited by Boof