The 1986/87 Defeat on Aggregate vs Dukla Prague

Martin_T

Opening line from Jock Brown. Wayne Foster starts ahead of John Robertson 🙈. I probably cheered that and loved fozzie but the wee man was the best

Edited by jambo1975

16 hours ago, Victorian said:

One big memory of that season was about a month before.  Who else was at the League Cup match at home vs Montrose?  Probably the only thing that came close to the Brora Rangers atrocity.

The Montrose 2-0 defeat?  Midweek wasn't it?  It was horrendous - especially after having been so used to use pumping teams at Tynie the season before.  86-87 really was a bit of a struggle.  

Dundee United had been consistently in Europe for years and had a counter-attacking way of playing that suited Europe and, indeed, playing away against bigger teams in the domestic league. We never had the experience or the style of play. That Dukla Prague game was a great atmosphere though. Corner was bouncing. 

8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I was at that match. A real wtf moment. 

All I remember about that game was one of their goals a contender for goal of the season, top corner with Henry at full stretch! The Dukla game was the first time I understood the term “you could cut the atmosphere with a knife”, was electricity in the air pre kick off! Then went up a notch with the early goal. Seems a different lifetime ago now ha ha!

10 hours ago, rond said:

Was it not John Colquhoun?

John Colquhoun had a perfectly good goal chalked off in Madrid which would have put us 1-0 up over there and cancelled out their away goal. Horrendous decision. 

9 hours ago, martoon said:

Absolutely, bud.

Some of the football we played that season was a joy to watch:

4-2 vs. Falkirk 

4-1 vs. Dundee Utd.

5-1 @ Falkirk

4-2 vs. Dundee

3-0 @ Dundee Utd.

2-3 @ Rangers, a crime we took nothing

2-2 @ Celtic, a crime we didn't win

6-0 @ St. Mirren...

There was many others.

Still can't believe that magnificent team didn't lift silverware.

The only team in the past 37 years, other than Celtic, that have finished above what you’d call a “competitive” Rangers. 
Think Aberdeen did it in 2016/17 to the just promoted The Rangers? That 2-2 draw at Celtic was blatant cheating from the referee. 2-0 up and cruising and they get a penalty for McPherson winning the ball from Walker. Not a soul inside Parkhead even shouted for one, iirc. 

9 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

The only team in the past 37 years, other than Celtic, that have finished above what you’d call a “competitive” Rangers. 
Think Aberdeen did it in 2016/17 to the just promoted The Rangers? That 2-2 draw at Celtic was blatant cheating from the referee. 2-0 up and cruising and they get a penalty for McPherson winning the ball from Walker. Not a soul inside Parkhead even shouted for one, iirc. 

Rangers had a 'competitive' squad in 2005/6 when we finished above them, certainly their budget dwarfed everyone bar Celtic.

37 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

The only team in the past 37 years, other than Celtic, that have finished above what you’d call a “competitive” Rangers

1988  Hearts 

2006  Hearts

2015  Hearts and Hibs

2017  Aberdeen

The only occasions Rangers have finished below clubs (Celtic apart) whilst in the same division since 1986.

Dreadful, but typical, refereeing at Parkhead, bud. It never changes. If Celtic or Rangers need help, Scottish refs will oblige.

I love OF fans outrage when continental refs don't play ball in European ties. It also reflects badly on the meek compliance of our refs. 

On 18/08/2022 at 09:44, Silvery_Moon said:

Was in the Georgie Road end - almost the same view as the camera behind the goal - we had good chances to score a fourth and take a decent lead to Prague, wasn't to be.  They beat Bayer Leverkusen in the next round then lost to Inter.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Rangers had a 'competitive' squad in 2005/6 when we finished above them, certainly their budget dwarfed everyone bar Celtic.

Correct. I meant Hearts are the only team, not only that particular vintage. I very much know we have done it twice in the top division. 
@martoon is correct also that Rangers were competitive at the level they were at in 2015 so we’ve done it 3 times and The Flumps have done it once. Due to Hearts and Celtic being so far ahead in 2015 and 2017 respectively you might hesitate to use competitive to describe their efforts, though. 😁 

gerryjambo41
On 18/08/2022 at 15:30, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Didn't like to mention you but the fact no one could get into the bus bog because you had went in with a bottle of scnapps and fell asleep..........

More than once too

I'd drank a lot of schnapps on the stop but I don't even remember going in the bogs the first time definitely , the drunkest I've ever been p.s. I haven't touched schnapps since then 😂

On 18/08/2022 at 10:13, Victorian said:

One big memory of that season was about a month before.  Who else was at the League Cup match at home vs Montrose?  Probably the only thing that came close to the Brora Rangers atrocity.

taxi driver asked the score as we walked down ramp into Waverley . 2/0 mate . excellent , naw for Montrose bud