Your first job?

Locky

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Was it Ferranti at Crewe Toll, Steve?

If so, do you recall Tom McInnes?

Sorry, don't recognise the name .. was as silverknowes for 20 years .. then Crewe Toll for the last 20 years 

Took over my brother's Sunday paper round at RS McColls in D. Mains at 12/13 years old in about 1979. Ended up doing three rounds on a Sunday morning and getting a fiver, which seemed like a fortune in those days. Then worked in the Corbie Cafe doing the tatties for £3/week plus any supper except chicken lol. Then on the deli counter at Willie Low's till I left school and started as a trainee Quantity Surveyor on the princely sum of £2500/year which I thought was shite since my mates who joined Standard Life were all on about £4500, however when I started the day release at Kirkcaldy Tech one of the other lads was only on £1600/year so I felt well paid by comparison.

22 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

Sorry, don't recognise the name .. was as silverknowes for 20 years .. then Crewe Toll for the last 20 years 

Ok, thanks for your reply anyway.

I guess he would have retired by the time you got to Crewe Toll.

17 hours ago, Sharpie said:

My first job was delivering fish for Mac Fisheries in Newington Road. My first real job was apprentice motor mechanic. That was a scam because they had no tradesman to train me so I was cheap labor. It paid off though I was a big boy anyway bu I done all the heavy lifting, by he time I was seventeen I was very well upper body muscled it paid of in Guards training because  there were less muscled guys aroud to taunt and bully.

I meant to taunt me not to be the taunter.

My first job was delivering fish for Mac Fisheries in Newington Road. My first real job was apprentice motor mechanic. That was a scam because they had no tradesman to train me so I was cheap labor. It paid off though I was a big boy anyway bu I done all the heavy lifting, by he time I was seventeen I was very well upper body muscled it paid of in Guards training because  there were less muscled guys aroud to taunt and bully.

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Where was this Locky?

Down in Hawick mate. Lived there during my high school years.

luckyBatistuta
53 minutes ago, Locky said:

Down in Hawick mate. Lived there during my high school years.

Ah, I’ll not have a scooby about the place then pal. Cracking wee job at that age though. Free Italian food every night, stuff of dreams, especially at an age when you could probably eat them into bankruptcy🤣

1 hour ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Gamekeeper in the Scottish Borders after I left school then Scottish Government for the last 35 years.

Where were you a Gamekeeper?

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Ah, I’ll not have a scooby about the place then pal. Cracking wee job at that age though. Free Italian food every night, stuff of dreams, especially at an age when you could probably eat them into bankruptcy🤣

Funny enough, I did stock right up during my teenage years. :lol: Amazing what some good graft and heavy feeding can do to you.

16 hours ago, Victorian said:

Delivering milk on a Saturday for £3 a shift.  

First actual job.  Apprentice in Ferranti (mechanical technical).

Me too.

Footballfirst

I had a couple of casual jobs first as a kitchen porter with a catering firm that did weddings and other functions. I also worked in local pub for a few months.

The first job I had that went through the books was a summer job with Marshalls Chunky Chickens at Newbridge. I hung the birds by their legs onto the processing line (they were already dead and had been plucked by the time they got to my line - although they were still warm).

I was a lousy student, so I left school when I was 15 and got a full-time job as a junior clerk at the Rubber Mill on Fountainbridge.  It was a 45-hour week, five days plus Saturday morning, for the princely sum of two quid per week.

By the time I paid for my bus fare from Gilmerton, bought my dinner at the works canteen, and paid to get in to Tynecastle, there wasn't anything left.  

But it was there that I met the lass who would become my wife of 63 years and counting, so it was the best job I ever had.  :smile:

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I had a couple of casual jobs first as a kitchen porter with a catering firm that did weddings and other functions. I also worked in local pub for a few months.

The first job I had that went through the books was a summer job with Marshalls Chunky Chickens at Newbridge. I hung the birds by their legs onto the processing line (they were already dead and had been plucked by the time they got to my line - although they were still warm).

Marshalls.....the chunky chicken champions!

Cairneyhill Jambo
11 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Where were you a Gamekeeper?

Mellerstain Estate, working for Eskdale Shooting Services.  They also leased the shooting on Thirlestane Estate, Lauder, and Dalkeith Palace.

John Findlay
13 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Gamekeeper in the Scottish Borders after I left school then Scottish Government for the last 35 years.

Ah, gamekeeper turned poacher.

Fxxx the SPFL

1968 paper round aged 11 for Willie Bauld Gorgie Road

1969 milk laddie corner shop Wheatfield Place

1972 Hearts walking round with tray selling Kiora orange, chewing gum and getting stuff knicked when i went past the shed lol

1972 skittle laddie at Murrayfield Sports Club standing the pins back up at the double handed bowling alleys not sure if they still have them.

Fxxx the SPFL
13 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Scottish Government for me too bud Saughton Hoose started there in 1973 went full circle and back here again until i retire in 18 months

2 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Mellerstain Estate, working for Eskdale Shooting Services.  They also leased the shooting on Thirlestane Estate, Lauder, and Dalkeith Palace.

I know it and Eskdale, the first interview I got when I left School was with them, I worked next door at Mertoun for a bit, what was the Headkeeper name at Mellerstain, he died when I was at Mertoun and his sone took over, he had a Yellow Lab FTCH called Garleton Mist he got from Ian Glass.

Cairneyhill Jambo
10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I know it and Eskdale, the first interview I got when I left School was with them, I worked next door at Mertoun for a bit, what was the Headkeeper name at Mellerstain, he died when I was at Mertoun and his sone took over, he had a Yellow Lab FTCH called Garleton Mist he got from Ian Glass.

John Cossar?  His son Arthur retired a few years ago.

was it Bill Brennan and Allan Dodsworth that was at Mertoun, or Billy King?  Always got them Mertoun and Makerstoun mixed up.

3 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

John Cossar?  His son Arthur retired a few years ago.

was it Bill Brennan and Allan Dodsworth that was at Mertoun, or Billy King?  Always got them Mertoun and Makerstoun mixed up.

John Cosser, that's him.

It was Alan Dodworth and Kevin when I was there, Billy left Mertoun and went to Manderson, great guys.

JudyJudyJudy
9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I was a lousy student, so I left school when I was 15 and got a full-time job as a junior clerk at the Rubber Mill on Fountainbridge.  It was a 45-hour week, five days plus Saturday morning, for the princely sum of two quid per week.

By the time I paid for my bus fare from Gilmerton, bought my dinner at the works canteen, and paid to get in to Tynecastle, there wasn't anything left.  

But it was there that I met the lass who would become my wife of 63 years and counting, so it was the best job I ever had.  :smile:

👍👍👍👍

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Stacking shelf’s in Coopers Fine Fare, Musselburgh, age 16 after school. Good work experience 

On 09/08/2022 at 06:51, Victorian said:

Delivering milk on a Saturday for £3 a shift.  

First actual job.  Apprentice in Ferranti (mechanical technical).

I could have wrote that myself.

Done a wee stint in a grocer shop too.

I started Ferranti in August 79.

6 hours ago, Bonnie Prince Charlie said:

Stacking shelf’s in Coopers Fine Fare, Musselburgh, age 16 after school. Good work experience 

Can't be much older than me... I was stacking shelves in same place (Gateway and then Somerfield when I left). Princely sum of £1.92 an hour :)

I forgot to add my first full time job. Left school at 16 as soon as I finished my O levels. Started a job the next day as a bakers labourer in gala.

52 minutes ago, superjack said:

I forgot to add my first full time job. Left school at 16 as soon as I finished my O levels. Started a job the next day as a bakers labourer in gala.

I was clearing 52 pounds a week, 1989.