FC Edinburgh / Meadowbank Stadium shambles

Theme From Sparta F.C.

Theme From Sparta F.C.

720 Dunfermline fans got charged £18 to stand behind an eight lane running track yesterday at Meadowbank.

Their facilities were a Portaloo and a Burger Van.

How did FC Edinburgh get a license to play their games there?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• stirlo

• Chuck Berry

• All roads lead to Gorgie

Footballfirst

Perfect view .................. of the back of a shed. 

Someone should be in for the high jump for that debacle.

heartsfc_fan

Laughable that the new Meadowbank only has 500 odd seats.

Did I read Edinburgh were putting in an application for a semi permanent stand with 1000 seats?

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, briever said:

Is there not a stand there anymore?

A stand with only three rows.

Edited by Footballfirst

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

:rofl: 

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

😂😂😂

Ffs Edinburgh council really are something else. 

Back in the day Meadowbank was a half decent athletics stadium. The new facility looks absolutely dreadful. Basically a big ugly warehouse with a tiny little stand attached to it. It's actually embarrassing for the city of Edinburgh and shouldn't have been allowed. 

been here before

Im sure I read somewhere this morning that the place is too small in some way or other to allow it to host any sort of major athletic events.

Cant mind what it was all anout though.

2 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Back in the day Meadowbank was a half decent athletics stadium. The new facility looks absolutely dreadful. Basically a big ugly warehouse with a tiny little stand attached to it. It's actually embarrassing for the city of Edinburgh and shouldn't have been allowed. 

I looks like they have focussed on providing facilities - which is fair enough.  The old stadium had the big stand for the CG - I'd rather our taxes were spent on facilities than seats that will barely be used. 

It should never be used for fitba though. 

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s what happens when you partner with Hibs. 😎

Was going to say that my self but did not want to risk menstrual onslaught

4 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Would have quite liked them to have built that facility at Sighthill that was mooted before the campaign to save Meadowbank 

Naisys Tackle
49 minutes ago, Theme From Sparta F.C. said:

Screenshot_20220807-161334_Gallery.jpg

Bottom pic actually looks as though they are all about to start some kind of mental relay race :lol: 

1 minute ago, briever said:

I looks like they have focussed on providing facilities - which is fair enough.  The old stadium had the big stand for the CG - I'd rather our taxes were spent on facilities than seats that will barely be used. 

It should never be used for fitba though. 

But judging on the photos of yesterday's game there is a serious shortage of seats. What's more, Edinburgh used to hold high class athletics meetings. That's no longer a possibility. I'm sure I'm not the only person on here who will remember the night when Michael Johnson came within a whisker of breaking the world 200m record at Meadowbank.

Even leaving aside those points though, the new facility looks terrible from the outside. Absolutely no thought given to aesthetic. It's an embarrassment.

Francis Albert

What happened to the old stand? It was barely 50 years old and surely could have been patched up at very moderate cost. To provide a decent athletics venue for Edinburgh  as well as lower league football.

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Bottom pic actually looks as though they are all about to start some kind of mental relay race :lol: 

Just now, stirlo said:

But judging on the photos of yesterday's game there is a serious shortage of seats. What's more, Edinburgh used to hold high class athletics meetings. That's no longer a possibility. I'm sure I'm not the only person on here who will remember the night when Michael Johnson came within a whisker of breaking the world 200m record at Meadowbank.

Even leaving aside those points though, the new facility looks terrible from the outside. Absolutely no thought given to aesthetic. It's an embarrassment.

I know, but it's been redeveloped because they've decided it wont be for big events anymore.

It's sporting facilities for the community now.  

I imagine there are twice as many facilities in the building now they got rid of the stand.

Fort Vallance
38 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

That's one to discus later.

Just now, briever said:

I know, but it's been redeveloped because they've decided it wont be for big events anymore.

It's sporting facilities for the community now.  

I imagine there are twice as many facilities in the building now they got rid of the stand.

It would have been possible to achieve both - but clearly the priority was saving money.

But as I said, even leaving aside the questions of use, it is extremely ugly.

Theme From Sparta F.C.
28 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

And the front row has a restricted view of the pitch!!

What are Edinburgh City thinking about?

First the name change, and now back at Meadowbank to this.

You really couldn't make it up!!

I feel sorry for the away (and home) fans. They just want to follow their team. But have to put up with that.

It doesn't show the SPFL in a good light at all.

Back to 2005
35 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

😂my garden sheds bigger than that! What a shambles. I presume Meadowbank isn’t intending on hosting any athletics meetings again. 

42 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

More suitable for pole vault than high jump looking at that picture.

Talk about tinpot, they have taken this to a new height!!

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

😂my garden sheds bigger than that! What a shambles. I presume Meadowbank isn’t intending on hosting any athletics meetings again. 

And our capital city is not intending to hold any major athletics meeting again? Unless there is another venue I am unaware of. Other capital cities of comparable size hold major meetings.

Just now, Francis Albert said:

And our capital city is not intending to hold any major athletics meeting again? Unless there is another venue I am unaware of. Other capital cities of comparable size hold major meetings.

So no Commonwealth games in Edinburgh again.Fecking shocking how much did it actually cost doing Meadowbank up and are the facilities worth it inside now.Not been since I used to play work with the football about 12 years ago.

Francis Albert
Just now, vegas-voss said:

Answering my own question £47m and they have the cheek to call it Meadowbank Stadium

Are you saying the Council spent twice the cost of our main stand on a facility with a spectator capacity of 500? The "community facilities" must be pretty special. 

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

So no Commonwealth games in Edinburgh again.Fecking shocking how much did it actually cost doing Meadowbank up and are the facilities worth it inside now.Not been since I used to play work with the football about 12 years ago.

Not even Scottish National Championships. Even regional championships. My London Borough with half the population of Edinburgh has better provision for athletics than the capital of Scotland.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Are you saying the Council spent twice the cost of our main stand on a facility with a spectator capacity of 500? The "community facilities" must be pretty special. 

The original plan was to replace it with a six thousand capacity stadium at Sighthill but for some bizarre reason people thought it was too far away ………… so they had a big campaign to scrap it and spend the money on regenerating Meadowbank 

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/10/12_edinburgh_today_-_sports_centres.htm#2

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It defies belief. And for that price you'd have thought they could have come up with something a bit more pleasing on the eye. It just looks like a big warehouse with a few seats attached to the side.

Shanks said no

Was someone not meant to be moving to the wee rugby stadium next to Murrayfield or did I dream it?

Holyrood_Hearts
5 minutes ago, Shanks said no said:

Was someone not meant to be moving to the wee rugby stadium next to Murrayfield or did I dream it?

Was that not Edinburgh Rugby?

allystrachan

Do people really expect the council to stump up millions of pounds to build a stadium for FC Edinburgh? What a waste that would be. I’d rather they extended the trams further than spend money on a football team (unless it was hearts)

5 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

I'm stunned that place can even be classed as a stadium!!

Its a sports centre with some outdoor seating at best!

That's exactly what it is a centre or complex if you prefer

Edited by vegas-voss

58 minutes ago, Shanks said no said:

£5.7m and the stands have columns creating tons of restricted views, bit of a joke really the design!

Still, it's miles better than the new Meadowbank and with it being a plastic pitch it could be used if an agreement could be made. Who is going to bother going to an FC Edinburgh game at 'new' Meadowbank?

image.png.e56eaefc7d8204891e57f9009fc62731.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56085078