hearts youth development - is it about to rise into the public eye

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I was reading an article in FourFourTwo about Scotland's change in four years from an embaressement to a great footballing nation. In it the article discussed the whole issue of the countries development of young players. I was amazed to see Burley talking about teams bringing through young players such as Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Hibs. THe article also showed a picture of two young Rangers lads training with the line "the old firms young guns have benefited Scotland."

This got me thinking you never see hearts mentioned when they talk about great places developing youngsters. Now I have seen great scottish youngsters in the U19 and though at the momment it is more non-scottish players coming through the youth ranks, from what I understand from those who have watched below U19 there are great scottish players coming through there.

With Csaba already premoting youth to the 1st team (apparntly) and is a fan of developing youngsters could Hearts be seen mentioned more in the press for benefiting Scotland in its youth devlopment? I think we will.

Ryan Gosling

Got to laugh at that.

Fleck is the only hun to 'break through' in 5 years and their team has an average age of 30.

sellik are just as bad.

Drylaw Hearts
Got to laugh at that.

Fleck is the only hun to 'break through' in 5 years and their team has an average age of 30.

sellik are just as bad.

Alan Hutton ?

Charlie-Brown

Scotland must have given more first caps to as many Hearts players as any other team I can think of in the last dozen years or so.

Ryan Gosling
Alan Hutton ?

Hutton and Smith made their debuts 6 and 5 years ago respectively.

Since then? I'm struggling.

jamboinglasgow

the article did something good in it, Craig Gordon gave his four players to watch for: Steven Fletcher, Steven Naismith, Christophe Berra and Jamie MacDonald yet no mention of hearts producing great players for Scotland.

Alan Hutton ?

Alan Hutton is a rareity (sp?)

There have been a few occasional appearances from youngsters under Smith but he was the one that almost drove Ferguson away from R@ng*rs. Not a team for a prospective youngster.

Charlie-Brown

A.Johnston, D.Weir, Ritchie, McCann, Cameron, Naysmith, Pressley, Severin, Webster, Hartley, Gordon heck even Neilson have been capped in the last decade with Berra currently on the fringes of the full Scotland squad and others in the younger age groups.

Gigolo-Aunt
Fair enough.

He's a piano toothed **** though.

He has a mouth like a row of condemed houses.

Drylaw Hearts
Hutton and Smith made their debuts 6 and 5 years ago respectively.

Since then? I'm struggling.

I also thought about MacGregor but having checked that was 6 years ago aswell.

Strange.

Got to laugh at that.

sellik are just as bad.

He has not really broken through either. A few token appearances but he will not get a look in this year seeing as all they have signed is more attackers.

south morocco
He has a mouth like a row of condemed houses.

nice left foot ,shame about the boat race

Ryan Gosling
I also thought about MacGregor but having checked that was 6 years ago aswell.

Strange.

He's also older than CG bizarrely.

jamboinglasgow
Got to laugh at that.

sellik are just as bad.

The thing is that Rangers have the most established set-up for developing youngsters, yet they are too scared to try and play them at times. Think Fleck will play more from off the bench but with the reputed amount of talent they have (they are the team with most youngsters in the Scotland youth teams) you would think they would be seen more in the first team.

Celtic have only produced McManus and Maloney in the last few years, that would also include McGeady had he not decided that he was irish.

Drylaw Hearts

IIRC, I'm sure PLG put him on the Transfer List after he returned from loan at Dunfermline.

Somebody could have snapped up a real bargin there.

Charlie-Brown

Celts also had beattie & r.wallace & kennedy & o'dea although none became established regulars.

south morocco

thats correct ,AMc was on loan to the pars for a while, when PLG brought that french guy in as no1 ,cant remember his name,just remember AMc gifting celtic the cis cup when playing for the pars

IIRC, I'm sure PLG put him on the Transfer List after he returned from loan at Dunfermline.

At the risk of "I told you so" but there was many a thread about a goalkeeper to replace Gordon and he was labelled "pesh at Dunfy". I didn't think so btw. :)

jamboinglasgow
Celts also had beattie & r.wallace & kennedy & o'dea although none became established regulars.

I always thought O'Dea was Irish.

Drylaw Hearts
At the risk of "I told you so" but there was many a thread about a goalkeeper to replace Gordon and he was labelled "pesh at Dunfy". I didn't think so btw. :)

You're so wise.

:)

Gigolo-Aunt

Who was the Celtic young full back who went to Southampton?

The one who played a dozen or so games and was fast tracked to the Scotland side? (like Maurice Ross and David Marshall)

Charlie-Brown

The one who played a dozen or so games and was fast tracked to the Scotland side? (like Maurice Ross and David Marshall)

Crainey?

south morocco

ross wallace,i think

Aye, thats him - cheers.

What a second coming that was.

Not as good as the eponymous but still a fantastic album. Underrated due to its predecessor but it has so many fantastic songs on it it cannot be ignored.

Gigolo-Aunt
Not as good as the eponymous but still a fantastic album. Underrated due to its predecessor but it has so many fantastic songs on it it cannot be ignored.

When its good its very good.

When its bad its, well....

When its good its very good.

When its bad its, well....

Good god.

I am so close to an infraction for comments like that! Next time I see you I will thrust a copy (purchased, no piracy here hell no) of the Second Coming in your mitt. :(

Gigolo-Aunt
Good god.

I am so close to an infraction for comments like that! Next time I see you I will thrust a copy (purchased, no piracy here hell no) of the Second Coming in your mitt. :(

I have it on Vinyl matey. Bought it the week it came out.

A.Johnston, D.Weir, Ritchie, McCann, Cameron, Naysmith, Pressley, Severin, Webster, Hartley, Gordon heck even Neilson have been capped in the last decade with Berra currently on the fringes of the full Scotland squad and others in the younger age groups.

An impressive list however only the ones in bold can be classed as players Hearts have brought through the ranks, the others were all bought by hearts. Heck we could have claimed McFadden if we hadn't binned him as a youngster.

Of those in bold I would also suggest that only Naysmith and Gordon are established internationals. Johnston and Neilson have hardly contributed much to the scotland cause!

Charlie-Brown
An impressive list however only the ones in bold can be classed as players Hearts have brought through the ranks, the others were all bought by hearts. Heck we could have claimed McFadden if we hadn't binned him as a youngster.

Of those in bold I would also suggest that only Naysmith and Gordon are established internationals. Johnston and Neilson have hardly contributed much to the scotland cause!

We brought all the players I listed up to Scotland standard though Taz as none of them was anywhere near that level when they signed for Hearts, okay some of them only got a few caps but it's as good a list as any other SPL team can provide over the same period and better than most.

i dont think burley had much time for john murray and vica versa,so its hardly a surprise that hearts didn`t raise a mention,still i would like to think our new manager would be looking at improving our youth academy,he was four years with munchengladbach in similar position to john murrays at riccarton,so he might just be the right appointment for us.only time will tell.

ps thanks again to the elfs for pumping the hibees out the intertattie

Pretty sure the Hobos were linked with him.

:D

Thank feck they never got him or we might not have had as many comical Hibernian goalkeeping derby moments.

Stevie Smith at Rangers could be a very good player if he can put his injury problems behind him.

On a side note amusing as hell that Maurice Ross is now plying his trade in Norway.

Archived