• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• neilnunb

• whodanny

• JudyJudyJudy

Malinga the Swinga

Silver for McColgan but considering her exploits in commonwealth games, not bad at all.

Even those athletes must feel tired eventually.

Malinga the Swinga

I see Jacobs back winning in 100m. They must have relaxed drug testing to make sure he's back on form.

Speaking of drug cheats, GB's own drug test avoider Christine Ohuruogu is back coaching her little sister Victoria on 400m. 

21 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Dina getting 'cramp' during the final...or giving up cos she knew she was losing.

Neita ran off the track too after coming 3rd for the bronze, the gold and silver medallists were on the track looking for her for the usual 1-2-3 photo ops. Bit unsporting.

Neita then straight off to moan to BBC interviewer about "cramp" too alongside Dina. :facepalm:

Edited by PortyJambo

2 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Neita ran off the track too after coming 3rd for the bronze, the gold and silver medallists were on the track looking for her for the usual 1-2-3 photo ops. Bit unsporting.

Neita then straight off to moan to BBC interviewer about "cramp" too alongside Dina. :facepalm:

Yeah I noticed she didn't congratulate the other two. Sour grapes.

10 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

10 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Yeah I noticed she didn't congratulate the other two. Sour grapes.

Yip noticed all that as well, an official even tried to get Neita to go back on the track, she went down to the bottom of the steps, turned around and went back up them, real sour grapes there.

On the question of cramp. 

I ran for many years and can never recall ever getting cramp before or during a race, afterwards yes, but never before or during.

Dina said that the problem with cramp was due to her being on her periods.

As I've never had periods, I can't make any comment one way or another.

Really bad weather forcast for tonight in Munich, Laura Muir's race might not go ahead as planned tonight, so they were saying on BBC.

Malinga the Swinga
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Dina said that the problem with cramp was due to her being on her periods.

As I've never had periods, I can't make any comment one way or another.

Yep, McColgan has article on BBC about how it effects her and female athletes. Probably needs serious research done as impacts obviously on performance.

Very difficult for any make pundit to speak with authority on, but I'm sure we will have knowledgeable experts on here who have answers.

12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yep, McColgan has article on BBC about how it effects her and female athletes. Probably needs serious research done as impacts obviously on performance.

Very difficult for any make pundit to speak with authority on, but I'm sure we will have knowledgeable experts on here who have answers.

Tbh I've never given it any thought, before now, and I suppose it must have an effect on at least some woman's performance.

Pidcock won the cross country mountain bike gold, and they were talking about the heavy overnight rain during that, but the course had dried up, so might be ok for the athletics later?

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Really bad weather forcast for tonight in Munich, Laura Muir's race might not go ahead as planned tonight, so they were saying on BBC.

Long odds on favourite for this as well.  

McColgan won a bronze in the 5000m.  3rd Euro medal in total to go with her 2 Commonwealth.

18 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Pidcock won the cross country mountain bike gold, and they were talking about the heavy overnight rain during that, but the course had dried up, so might be ok for the athletics later?

There's supposed to be a big storm coming in tonight.

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

McColgan won a bronze in the 5000m.  3rd Euro medal in total to go with her 2 Commonwealth.

And a very honest interview from her afterwards.

Malinga the Swinga
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

McColgan has had great summer with medals at all events and over both track distance races.

She's very good at marathons as well so no doubt we will see her on road.

Hopefully Muir can get win and I would love to see Reekie beat Hodgkinson buy she'll be up against it.

23 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

McColgan has had great summer with medals at all events and over both track distance races.

Hopefully Muir can get win and I would love to see Reekie beat Hodgkinson buy she'll be up against it.

4 medals in 15 days over the long distance events is some going.  

The Commonwealth and Europeans are very much the minor league of the global events.  The Worlds and Olympics are a big step up.  She'll maybe get one more chance at each at her age.  

25 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I think that's what she's going to be doing next, depending how her legs are, however the roads are much kinder than the track on your legs, so I'd expect to see her running some marathons.

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Saw the rock climbing with the music. Got 2 seconds of my time 

That's why I Iike these multi-sport events, you spot and start watching events you've never had any interest in before.

At the Olympics last year, I never had any interest in the climbing, then caught a speed climbing event and enjoyed it. You can't help but admire how they chamber up sheer walls likes Spiderman!

Edited by PortyJambo

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Another powerhouse masterclass.  Actually changed pace in an instant at the bell.  Way too good at this level.  

If you remember the number of times she finished 4th or 5th because she always tried to win races, it's brilliant to see her winning consistently.

She never seems to cruise to victory and her kick is different class 

Both Muir and McColgan deserve a rest.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If you remember the number of times she finished 4th or 5th because she always tried to win races, it's brilliant to see her winning consistently.

She never seems to cruise to victory and her kick is different class 

Both Muir and McColgan deserve a rest.

Think she slightly erred with her tactics there.  She came around from last to first at about 850 out with a view to winding it right up,  but she didn't break the pack.  She waited until 400 out and literally sprinted from her cruising speed.  She broke them instantly apart from the Irish runner.  It took another 200m or so to finally grind her down.  Something went wrong but she had a plan B.

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

More Dina tears incoming

I always compare the 100/200m runners with the swimmers like Peaty, Dean, Scott, and others 

The swimmers come out, raise a hand to crowd, get set on blocks and off they go. When race finishes, they congratulate their opponents, wave to crowd and off they wander. When in

The athletes come in to flashing lights, pose about, and somehow, seem aloof and distant from event.

Don't mind Dina, she is obviously talented, but perhaps this setback will make her rethink program/training and she will come back stronger for the experience.

This is first real season when things haven't gone her way, so test of her mental strength more than speed.

Hope she comes back, for her sake as much as anyone elses.