Your Edinburgh 'second' team

King Of The Cat Cafe

24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts U11s-U16s on Sat/Sun mornings

Hearts U18s on Friday evenings

Other than that mainly Bonnyrigg, then Penicuik, Tranent and Edinburgh Utd, although I have also been to numerous other lower pyramid games from Dundee to Dumfries during last season. 

Do you ever go to first team games?

I’ve always wondered. Your knowledge of youth football is outstanding 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo 4 Ever

• Sooks

• luckydug

• Homme

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Sertse said:

What's the Edinburgh city-Hobos link? Genuinely never heard anything about it before. I know there's some ex hobos in the team but I thought there were ex Hearts as well?

Announcement tonight supposedly. 

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Do you ever go to first team games?

I’ve always wondered. Your knowledge of youth football is outstanding 

I held a season ticket for 30 years before I gave up the season before the pandemic. I couldn't be arsed with eye-bleeding football on offer.  I'm happy to watch the youths develop and pick and choose a game on a Saturday afternoon.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

It came from some one on here telling us it was in the pipe line a couple of months ago plus the evening news article detailing the months of work going on in the back ground to create the link 

I did tell you that and at that time that’s what was in the works. Players were informed when Naismith was sacked. I suspect the announcement tonight about name change and a return to Meadowbank may shed more light on any link with Hibs. Believe Hibs want to use Meadowbank a lot more for Reserve/youth games as it’s much less travelling for players. They are not joining the LL so need to find clubs to loan out young players.  Add it all together and it’s easy to see what’s being looked at. 

Don't live in Edinburgh so if I'm not at Tynecastle or at an away game, I sometimes go watch Syngenta as I coach one of their teams. Based in Grangemouth, promoted and they'll play a lot of Edinburgh teams next season.

Edited by WDJ87

North Merchiston.  Both my boys played there.  They enjoyed their football and had some great folk running the teams.  All over twenty years ago now.

Percival King

I used to like going to see Spartans at their old ground a bit further along Ferry Road. I could stand on the grass bank and move up and down the park and they were a good team......and then they went and moved and built a fancy stand!

21 minutes ago, Deevers said:

North Merchiston.  Both my boys played there.  They enjoyed their football and had some great folk running the teams.  All over twenty years ago now.

The Harrison park pitch with the right of way diagonally through the pitch.

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

I did tell you that and at that time that’s what was in the works. Players were informed when Naismith was sacked. I suspect the announcement tonight about name change and a return to Meadowbank may shed more light on any link with Hibs. Believe Hibs want to use Meadowbank a lot more for Reserve/youth games as it’s much less travelling for players. They are not joining the LL so need to find clubs to loan out young players.  Add it all together and it’s easy to see what’s being looked at. 

Barry Anderson tweeted earlier (or maybe yesterday) saying that the partnership with Hibs was one of the things fans would be updated on tonight.

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Yeah that is not some thing I am in to at all 

48 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Barry Anderson tweeted earlier (or maybe yesterday) saying that the partnership with Hibs was one of the things fans would be updated on tonight.

did the up date happen

Canadianjambo

When I'm over in Scotland - Hearts, home and away.  Otherwise a lower or non-league game at a ground I have never been to.  Will have lots of opportunities next season as a lot of Hearts games will be on the Sunday.

We went to see Tynecastle play Brora in the Scottish cup last season when Hearts were in Dingwall. Couple of pints before and after at the Kilted Pig, an enjoyable afternoon though Brora won 6-0 I think. Would do it again.

part_time_jambo
7 hours ago, Homme said:

Armadale Thistle (ok it's not Edinburgh!)

Disappointing end to the season for your wee team.

1 minute ago, part_time_jambo said:

Disappointing end to the season for your wee team.

Bottled 2-0 leads v Syngenta and Whitburn (I think). 

Had we won both we would have been promoted. Very disappointing!

part_time_jambo
1 minute ago, Homme said:

ex-Hearts player in charge at Armadale is it not? Strickland?

2 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

Craigroyston 

Hoping to get along and see them this season. Been past the ground many times, and often lived pretty close to their ground but never made it to a game. Will be keeping an eye for when they play Hawick this season too.

18 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

ex-Hearts player in charge at Armadale is it not? Strickland?

It is indeed 👍

7 hours ago, Homme said:

Armadale Thistle (ok it's not Edinburgh!)

Watched Armadale at Civil Service in one of the cups back in January. Not too familiar with the standard of West Lothian teams so just assumed it would be a stroll for the hosts given the gap in divisions. How wrong I was. Armadale played really well and unlucky to lose on penalties.

Sadly, they don’t exist any more (although I realise the name lives on) but St Bernard’s FC 1878-1942…

B72F24C5-F1D7-4617-BC5C-C250946E51EF.jpeg

1 hour ago, Homme said:

😁🤭😝

3 hours ago, Deevers said:

Played for NM myself from 91 to 96. (18s and 21s). Well run club back then and my family kind of always had a link with them as my Dads side lived and grew up in Watson Crescent, and a couple of Uncles and my Dad played for them too, way back in the 40s. 

For a few years after I finished I still kept and eye on how they got on at under 21s but I couldn’t tell you how many teams they have now and what age groups they play in.

Good memories though and a very well run place  👍🏻

None.

Anything football in Edinburgh that isn't Heart of Midlothian, is Hibs, to me.

F and C Edinburgh, Spartans, even Meadowbank Thistle, whiff(ed) of Hibby.

Feck them. 😄:clubbed:

merseyjambo

If I’m up in Edinburgh and Hearts don’t have a game then it’s Dalkeith Thistle or Danderhall Ams.

If I can’t get to Edinburgh and I’m not working, it’s Warrington Town

12 hours ago, briever said:

The Harrison park pitch with the right of way diagonally through the pitch.

Yep, and going round the pitch with a shovel and a plastic bag getting rid of the dog shit before kick off. Ah, the memories. 

A great club though with some great coaches. 

Edited by Deevers

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I don’t even like Hearts that much, so unlikely to develop a soft spot another team 😛 

😄

Whitburn Juniors is my local club.  They had a good season.

part_time_jambo
4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Whitburn is hardly local for Luanda!

The White Cockade

Bonnyrigg Rose for me

My first two Hampden games were Hearts losing to Dunfermline in 1968

and Rose losing Junior Cup Final to Cambuslang Rangers 1971/72

Don't have great memories of Hampden as attended all the finals / semi finals we lost

there during the 70's 80's and early 90's until I left the country

Seems to have worked as we have done better there since I left!

Jambo 4 Ever
5 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Don’t Whitburn have a supporters club too?

The Hogfather
On 16/06/2022 at 14:53, Batistuta87 said:

Only Hearts. 

Go to the away game :) 

This. Don't know why some people deprive themselves of a good day out watching Hearts away from home.

Doctor FinnBarr
23 hours ago, Homme said:

Starting to see lots of complaints on FB about the Dale going to a plastic pitch.

Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Starting to see lots of complaints on FB about the Dale going to a plastic pitch.

Yeah it's being replaced over the next month or two. Real shame as it might have been one of the best pitches around this season. 

Money is king unfortunately. 

The manager of Newcraighall Leith Vics is a great guy and I used to play for the Vics before the Newcraighall bit was added so they get my vote