Edinburgh City

Newton51

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Are they even the original football club ? I remember I looked them up one time and it was all a bit convoluted if I remember right 

Don't think they are. The social club inherited the name.  

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Locky

• Chuck Berry

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, davemclaren said:

Thought so . Were the original club not something to do with Feranti / Meadowbank Thistle at some point

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Thought so . Were the original club not something to do with Feranti / Meadowbank Thistle at some point

I think it was originally Postal United.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That rings a bell. 😎

Just checked Wiki

The original Edinburgh City was founded in 1928. The club adopted amateur status, with the aim of becoming the Edinburgh equivalent of Queen's Park. Edinburgh City joined the Scottish Football League in 1931.[1] The club played in the Lothian Amateur League during the Second World War and were only admitted to the C Division in 1946, by then the club had adopted professional status.[2][3] After three more years of struggle, the club left the Scottish Football League in 1949.[2][3] It switched to junior status and played in the Edinburgh & District Junior League.[2][3] The club ceased activity completely in 1955,[2] when the local council refused to renew its lease on its home ground, City Park.[3]

A club called Postal United F.C. was founded in 1966 and joined the East of Scotland League. Their best league finish was third in 1985–86, having won the Qualifying Cup in 1982–83 and King Cup in 1984–85.

The Edinburgh City Football Club Ltd.,[4] which had continued trading as a social club since the football club stopped playing, gave their approval in 1986 for Postal United to use the Edinburgh City F.C. name.[3] The club has participated in the Scottish Cup since the mid-1990s, when it became a full member of the Scottish Football Association.[3] In the 1997–98 Scottish Cup they defeated SFL club, East Stirlingshire, before losing 7–2 to Dunfermline Athletic, then of the Premier Division.

Edited by Footballfirst

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Just checked Wiki

The original Edinburgh City was founded in 1928. The club adopted amateur status, with the aim of becoming the Edinburgh equivalent of Queen's Park. Edinburgh City joined the Scottish Football League in 1931.[1] The club played in the Lothian Amateur League during the Second World War and were only admitted to the C Division in 1946, by then the club had adopted professional status.[2][3] After three more years of struggle, the club left the Scottish Football League in 1949.[2][3] It switched to junior status and played in the Edinburgh & District Junior League.[2][3] The club ceased activity completely in 1955,[2] when the local council refused to renew its lease on its home ground, City Park.[3]

A club called Postal United F.C. was founded in 1966 and joined the East of Scotland League. Their best league finish was third in 1985–86, having won the Qualifying Cup in 1982–83 and King Cup in 1984–85.

The Edinburgh City Football Club Ltd.,[4] which had continued trading as a social club since the football club stopped playing, gave their approval in 1986 for Postal United to use the Edinburgh City F.C. name.[3] The club has participated in the Scottish Cup since the mid-1990s, when it became a full member of the Scottish Football Association.[3] In the 1997–98 Scottish Cup they defeated SFL club, East Stirlingshire, before losing 7–2 to Dunfermline Athletic, then of the Premier Division.

That was it . Not Feranti but another old works team 

gorgierulesapply88
42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Social club owned the name and forced the change for many a year. They changed to fc edinburgh and not sure the ins and outs but changed back.

At the time of the name change they where 88k in debt. 20k owed to Colin Campbell/macron. 

"I know about all the debts and where they are owed.

Our new owners told us we were debt free when they took over. What they did was actually take the club on with all the debt thinking they could turn it all around but their gamble has backfired 

Apparently Wendy chored money for kits and that's why we owed Macron and couldn't get merch and youth sections owed the club thousands. 

I think that's all bullshit by the way. It was the club that didn't pay Macron and they've used Wendy as a scapegoat"

This is in reference to wendy who used to run the seperate entity youth section who have got rid of the edinburgh city name and taken over craigroyston & st marks park creating an eos side. Known as edinburgh cfc.

9 hours ago, Sooks said:

They aren't officially connected but some Meadowbank Thistle fans start supporting them after they became Livingston. Edinburgh City moved into Meadowbank soon after.

Edit: sorry that is the new club. The original club had no connection to Meadowbank

Edited by Stanley_

If being the 3rd league club in Edinburgh isn't enough of a poisoned chalice, 4th is even worse. There's no market for it and never has been.

If they survive, Edinburgh City will eventually return to the East of Scotland League. Not sure who finances Spartans, but on their low gates they will run into difficulties in future as well.

Fxxx the SPFL
11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think the club is totally separate from the new Edinburgh City football club. 

cheers Dave still not sure and neither were the old guys on what happened to the money from sale of their premises at Picardy Place/Leith Street

1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

If being the 3rd league club in Edinburgh isn't enough of a poisoned chalice, 4th is even worse. There's no market for it and never has been.

If they survive, Edinburgh City will eventually return to the East of Scotland League. Not sure who finances Spartans, but on their low gates they will run into difficulties in future as well.

Spartans do, at least, have their own proper home ground and seem like they have a much bigger place in the community. Edinburgh City will suffer a lot with the terrible new Meadowbank stadium and I think Spartans certainly have better prospects than City. 

Niemi’s gloves
54 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Spartans do, at least, have their own proper home ground and seem like they have a much bigger place in the community. Edinburgh City will suffer a lot with the terrible new Meadowbank stadium and I think Spartans certainly have better prospects than City. 

I’d agree that Spartans look much healthier than Edinburgh City. I don’t think that strictly speaking Spartans FC, the professional club, own Ainslie Park. Rather ownership appears to lie with the wider community club charitable trust. In fact neither Spartans FC nor Edinburgh City have fixed assets of any significance. But based on accounts at mid-2022, Spartans FC have financial assets that significantly outweigh liabilities. Conversely, City’s debts were substantial compared to financial assets. 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

14 hours ago, Sooks said:

They were originally Postal in the old EoS league.

Just now, GMEdinburgh said:

Screenshot_20231221_141326_X.thumb.jpg.aabf188bd9efba25c3e37edf851aaf20.jpg

Doncaster speaking for the members clubs again is he? He should be pulled up for this and everything he has been up to. 

been here before
1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

I know I'll get abuse but I've been to a few Edinburgh games.

Hope they somehow pull through.

Why would you get abuse? Im sure theres plenty of us who have been to Edinburgh City games over the years, Ive been to loads bith my laddies have played in their bairns teams . There's been a fair Hearts connection over the last few seasons plus they've been letting in both Hearts and Hibs ST holders for half price recently.

You'd have to be a really special kind of stupid to get worked up about folk going to see an insignificant shitey wee 3rd/4th Division team you barely knew existed, let alone cant understand their history all because a wee while ago you read about some non existant 'arrangement' with the worlds crappest local rivals which produced the sum total of **** all which was exactly what we all knew would come of it.

That move back to Meadowbank is an absolute rotter though.

Edited by been here before

Niemi’s gloves
13 minutes ago, GMEdinburgh said:

Doncaster speaking for the members clubs again is he? He should be pulled up for this and everything he has been up to. 

To be fair to Doncaster, Edinburgh isn’t big enough to support a “third force”. If the attempt had any success (doubtful) it would be at the expense of Hearts and Hibs and would do nothing to reduce the dominance of the gruesome twosome in Scotland overall.

6 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

To be fair to Doncaster, Edinburgh isn’t big enough to support a “third force”. If the attempt had any success (doubtful) it would be at the expense of Hearts and Hibs and would do nothing to reduce the dominance of the gruesome twosome in Scotland overall.

But why is it up to him to decide who gets a chance and who doesnt? 

He's got the SFA mindset down to a tee. Change nothing, retain the status quo at all costs. 

9 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

But how does that work?

Why have Hibs and Hearts for example increased attendances by several thousand if support is fixed. 

1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Didn't this guy leave them saddled with debt? Edinburgh Spartans competing at the top end of the Championship? the guy is abolutely delusional. Not sure the few City and Spartans fans would have welcomed it either.

Bit lost with last few posts @Chuck Berry

Is this an up to date tweet?

EC were take over Spartans, not an amalgamation. Spartans were for this.

Doncaster says no, without a vote, with no apparent reason.

Am I getting this right?

33 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

That guy has some rid neck.  For once, I don't think Doncaster is the bad guy here.

Doncaster was perhaps right, but you get an insight into mindset of how petty and backward thinking those in charge of Scottish football are.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Bit lost with last few posts @Chuck Berry

Is this an up to date tweet?

EC were take over Spartans, not an amalgamation. Spartans were for this.

Doncaster says no, without a vote, with no apparent reason.

Am I getting this right?

As far as I can see, he posted it today on LinkedIn. I'm not entirely sure Spartans fans were consulted (nor City), and reading comments from a couple of City fans on Pie & Bovril, they're pretty scathing. He certainly didn't leave City debt free.

Edited by Chuck Berry

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Doncaster was perhaps right, but you get an insight into mindset of how petty and backward thinking those in charge of Scottish football are.

That's assuming Mr.T isn't being economical with the truth.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Is this a way for Spartans to play at League 1? Is this why the knock back?

2 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Certainly some untruths in his tweet.

All players and coaching staff retained.

Really.

Other than that, why not.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Do you trust Doncaster?

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Do you trust Doncaster?

I trust him more than the guy who walks away from EC claiming he left the club with no debts.  Doncaster hasn't said anything about this.

Edited by Chuck Berry

24 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

I trust him more than the guy who walks away from EC claiming he left the club with no debts.  Doncaster hasn't said anything about this.

Then more fool you.

Just now, John Findlay said:

I don't trust either.

I'm not sure Doncaster can be the bad guy in this (yet) given all that has happened is one man has made a post with some accusations. The same guy who done his best to kill a club (or two).

I'm no fan of Doncaster, for from it, but he appears to have been dragged into something to save another charlatans face.

If any of this is even remotely true, then Doncaster probably sussed him for what he is and told him to bolt. He'd have been right.

gorgierulesapply88
17 hours ago, westbow said:

Did the players november wages materialise? they are cabbaged.

No. 10 gone, under 20s promoted. Goalie coach is the sub goalie.

Hammer of Hibs son.

gorgierulesapply88
2 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Didn't this guy leave them saddled with debt? Edinburgh Spartans competing at the top end of the Championship? the guy is abolutely delusional. Not sure the few City and Spartans fans would have welcomed it either.

This guy didn't leave them saddled with debt Chuck.

He if its the real person paid for or at least got strips for all youth age groups and the 1st team or so was the story at the time. Youth and 1st team where separate entities apparently.

Some teams didn't pay full fees, other teams had 1 2 3k in kitty's and the club wanted to make 1 whole account that all fees went into so they could rinse it!

20k was owed to Colin Campbell/Macron maybe from this order they have either passed the buck to Wendy who ran Edinburgh City youth. The debt 88k was 2021 it was showing on accounts now its disappeared. Jim Brown who was chairman denied at the debt was linked to the club and current fans/season ticket holders have been lied to by the current chairman.

35 season ticket holders, and a shan ground.

Their doomed.

Edited by gorgierulesapply88

19 hours ago, davemclaren said:

That’s right. The recent, now rescinded, name-change to “FC Edinburgh” was reportedly based on a fear that the social club would for some inexplicable reason withdraw permission to use the name “Edinburgh City”.

There was little or no evidence to support this contention however, and the real reason for the name-change remains obscure. 
Even more confusing is the fact that the new Edinburgh City FC pretends it was founded in 1928 (the year the original ECFC was founded).

IMG_1826.png

Edited by PortyBeach

12 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

That’s right. The recent, now rescinded, name-change to “FC Edinburgh” was reportedly based on a fear that the social club would for some inexplicable reason withdraw permission to use the name “Edinburgh City”.

There was little or no evidence to support this contention however, and the real reason for the name-change remains obscure. 
Even more confusing is the fact that the new Edinburgh City FC pretends it was founded in 1928 (the year the original ECFC was founded).

IMG_1826.png

It was clearly an attempt to rebrand using a spurious excuse that had shown no sign of being any kind of issue up to that point.

If anything the social club benefitted by association.

22 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

This guy didn't leave them saddled with debt Chuck.

He if its the real person paid for or at least got strips for all youth age groups and the 1st team or so was the story at the time. Youth and 1st team where separate entities apparently.

Some teams didn't pay full fees, other teams had 1 2 3k in kitty's and the club wanted to make 1 whole account that all fees went into so they could rinse it!

20k was owed to Colin Campbell/Macron maybe from this order they have either passed the buck to Wendy who ran Edinburgh City youth. The debt 88k was 2021 it was showing on accounts now its disappeared. Jim Brown who was chairman denied at the debt was linked to the club and current fans/season ticket holders have been lied to by the current chairman.

35 season ticket holders, and a shan ground.

Their doomed.

Not quite understanding this, if EC are shedding U20 and womens teams, and letting go many of their first team players, then who's debt is it and was that debt incurred under the previous owner?

23 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It was clearly an attempt to rebrand using a spurious excuse that had shown no sign of being any kind of issue up to that point.

If anything the social club benefitted by association.

You’re probably right on both counts! 

5 hours ago, been here before said:

Why would you get abuse? Im sure theres plenty of us who have been to Edinburgh City games over the years, Ive been to loads bith my laddies have played in their bairns teams . There's been a fair Hearts connection over the last few seasons plus they've been letting in both Hearts and Hibs ST holders for half price recently.

You'd have to be a really special kind of stupid to get worked up about folk going to see an insignificant shitey wee 3rd/4th Division team you barely knew existed, let alone cant understand their history all because a wee while ago you read about some non existant 'arrangement' with the worlds crappest local rivals which produced the sum total of **** all which was exactly what we all knew would come of it.

That move back to Meadowbank is an absolute rotter though.

Just look at some of the I'll informed comments on the thread.

A small club, who over stretched themselves.... silly. But hope they pull through. Looking unlikely though.

gorgierulesapply88
23 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Not quite understanding this, if EC are shedding U20 and womens teams, and letting go many of their first team players, then who's debt is it and was that debt incurred under the previous owner?

The debt they said was nothing to do with the club was to do with the youth section who they claimed was a separate entity...

Fort Vallance
5 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

The debt they said was nothing to do with the club was to do with the youth section who they claimed was a separate entity...

Now where have I heard that before. 

16 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

I'd say the previous owner has questions to answer.

The new West End
On 20/12/2023 at 22:20, **** the SPFL said:

Edinburgh City had a great club next to playhouse don’t know what it sold for but friends of mine were members and were told they would receive a decent wedge from the sale they got nothing and city are now based ao the old Loch Inn down Lochend and couple of old lads I spoke to in the Scots Guards Club at the weekend said that they stopped going when it moved to Lochend both Hibbies but said they didn’t like the area no surprise there.

I don't think they.were promised money. Funds were to be used for a new social club.