Uganda Record

campagnolo

Since July 2006 when Laszlo became in charge of Uganda their FIFA ranking rose by:

BBC - 70 places

Scotsman - 70 places

Guardian - 76 places

Hearts website - 76 places

FIFA.com - 2 places

BBC - 70 places

Scotsman - 70 places

Guardian - 76 places

FIFA.com - 2 places

Peanut - 30 places

Scott Jambo - 6 places

Today's Herald says he increased their ranking by 76 places. They only lost out on qualifying for the African Cup of Nations to Sudan on goal difference.

No mean feat for a country that has been beset by civil war for the best part of 30 years.

BBC - 70 places

Scotsman - 70 places

Guardian - 76 places

FIFA.com - 2 places

Peanut - 30 places

Scott Jambo - 6 places

Herald - 76 places

Samster - 76 places

Scott H - 8 places

BBC - 70 places

Scotsman - 70 places

Guardian - 76 places

FIFA.com - 2 places

Peanut - 30 places

Scott Jambo - 6 places

Herald - 76 places

Samster - 76 places

Scott H - 8 places

Funniest thread on kickback in over 3 years. Thanks Campagnola.;)

Ibrahim Tall

Link

Lowest FIFA Ranking

121 - July 2002.

Highest FIFA ranking

66 - April 1995.

Even between their furthest rankings there isn't anywhere near 76 places so **** knows where some of the press are getting those stats from.

tartofmidlothian

From Wikipedia...

"After his arrival, they went on their best run in 24 years; missing out on qualification for the African Cup of Nations in Ghana 2008 on goal differnence in favour of Sudan and jumped from 167th to 91st in the FIFA World Rankings."

Yes, I know it's pretty unreliable. But that's where it's coming from.

ScottishSandstorm
From Wikipedia...

"After his arrival, they went on their best run in 24 years; missing out on qualification for the African Cup of Nations in Ghana 2008 on goal differnence in favour of Sudan and jumped from 167th to 91st in the FIFA World Rankings."

Yes, I know it's pretty unreliable. But that's where it's coming from.

:confused:THAT is the media's source?!? I know a couple of my professors who would like to strangle the editor of this supposed "reporting".

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Press makes stuff up shocker!!

Generic Username

From what I can gather from the Fifa site, at one point in time they were ranked at 76 and at another point they were around about 99 to 103.

Either way you cut it, he's still had a team of pretty much complete unknowns and managed to get them to compete at a level they weren't capable of before.

So is the story that from when he took over to at any one point he had maybe moved the team up 30 or whatever rankings but at time of finishing his post it was only 8 places?

Either way I'll reserve judgement until he has started the job...

Even between their furthest rankings there isn't anywhere near 76 places so **** knows where some of the press are getting those stats from.

Err I think some of it is from Hearts own media release at the press conference unveiling them....

Hmmm, there were also comments in a Scotland on Sunday piece yesterday that Laslo was not in the job at Hungary and Ferencvaros as long as Hearts suggested.

"The Scottish media were told Laszlo coached Hungary and Ferencvaros until 2006, but according to reports from reliable sources, he had to resign from the national team job in May, 2005, after the Hungarian Cup final debacle when he refused to leave the field after being sent off. He was also reported to have been sacked from Ferencvaros in November, 2005, after they earned just 10 points from 11 games."

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/football/From-Transylvania-to-Tynecastle.4283422.jp

In addition, Borussia Monchengladbach are not the force that they were when Liverpool used to play them in the big games.

Hmmmm ...

Hmmm, there were also comments in a Scotland on Sunday piece yesterday that Laslo was not in the job at Hungary and Ferencvaros as long as Hearts suggested.

"The Scottish media were told Laszlo coached Hungary and Ferencvaros until 2006, but according to reports from reliable sources, he had to resign from the national team job in May, 2005, after the Hungarian Cup final debacle when he refused to leave the field after being sent off. He was also reported to have been sacked from Ferencvaros in November, 2005, after they earned just 10 points from 11 games."

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/football/From-Transylvania-to-Tynecastle.4283422.jp

In addition, Borussia Monchengladbach are not the force that they were when Liverpool used to play them in the big games.

Hmmmm ...

I think, much in the same way as Hearts "round up" season ticket sales, there has been an element of "rounding up" as far as the media releases are concerned

We are where we are.

I remain broadly positive of the impression Csaba has made so far.

I am keen to see whether he has an impact. I am keen to see if Romanov's last chance to keep his mits off the team plays out as we have been, and Csaba appears to have been, promised.

LarrysRightFoot

Hmmmm ...

I dont know if the stuff about him being sacked is true but could you blame him or the players for only picking up 10 points from 11 games if they hadnt been paid for months/years? How was he meant to motivate them with the club in that state? He obviuosly couldnt sign anyone either so who knows what state the team was in! I mean they got demoted after he left because of the state of thier finances!

Also he won the Hungarian coach of the year in 2005 so would seem strange for him to be sacked by the national team that year.

As for the Borussia Monchengladbach thing, he wasnt theit manager just head of thier under 19s.

Guest JamboRobbo
:confused:THAT is the media's source?!? I know a couple of my professors who would like to strangle the editor of this supposed "reporting".

I think most of the media probably got their info from Hearts press release, which was the first info about Csaba.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1342525,00.html

Introducing Csaba

Hearts News profiles the brand new Hearts manager Csaba Lazlo...

DATE OF BIRTH: Feb 13' date=' 1964.

Article continues

Advertisement

adserv%7C3.0%7C327%7C1511863%7C0%7C170%7CADTECH;loc=300;grp=%5Bgroup%5D

PLACE OF BIRTH: Odorhei, Romania.

PLAYING CAREER:

Position - central midfielder.

Clubs - Progresul Odorei, Unirea Cristur, Spvg Oberaussen, Tus Grevenbroich, Ford Niehl Koln.

COACHING CAREER:

1999-2004: Borussia Monchengladbach, head coach of youth set-up.

Jan 2004-2006: Hungary, coached Hungarian national side with Lothar Matthaus as manager.

June 2004-2006: Ferencvarosi head coach; combined dual role of coaching Hungary with Ferencvarosi.

2006-2008: Uganda national coach.

COACHING ACHIEVEMENTS

Guided Ferencvarosi into the Champions League in 2004-05 and also coached them in the UEFA Cup.

Voted Hungarian trainer of the year in 2005.

As head coach of Uganda, the East African nation soared 76 places in the FIFA world rankings, its best record in 24 years.

PERSONAL

Csaba is married with two children and speaks four languages - English, German, Hungarian and Romanian.

Most of the stats I've seen in the press seem to come from this initial release given by HMFC.

It would now appear that either hearts have been trying to bum him up a bit, or Lawrence got his stats from Wikepedia. I'm guessing it's a bit of both (i.e. someone read that stat on Wikipedia and decided it sounded good so we should use it). It seems some have been quick to blame the press for something that has most likely come from HMFC.

So Hearts feeling the need to bum up his stats, along with Matheus comments do give me a bit of concern over whether he is the real deal.

I have been fairly impressed with Csaba so far in interviews. He certainly talks the talk. I hope he can walk the walk also.

See article in the Scotsman today

Meanwhile, former Germany captain Lothar Matthaus voiced concern over the weekend at the appointment of Laszlo,

who was assistant to Matthaus during a two-year spell with Hungarian club Ferencvaros.

Laszlo was appointed as successor to Stephen Frail by Tynecastle majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov on Friday, but the former Bayern Munich and Inter Milan midfielder is shocked by the decision.

"What? Are you joking with me?" said Matthaus. "Congratulations to him, but I can't believe this has happened. He is an assistant manager and would be good in that role, but not as manager. I don't think he has the personality to be a No1, but I also think he doesn't have the experience. There are many things he doesn't have for this kind of job.

"He was manager of Ferencvaros, but I helped him. They had wanted me as their head coach, but it wasn't possible so I gave them Laszlo while I helped him in the background. Time will tell if Hearts have made the wrong choice. I am very surprised."

Its difficult to actually find details of his record at Ferencvaros

Ferencvaros won the league in 04, were second in 05 and were fifth in 06

It seems as if he arrived in June 2004. I think the Hungarian season is the same as ours - so it goes from August until May. So they had won the league by the time he arrived.

His Champions League journey was the one that ended with Ferencvaros in our UEFA cup group...

Interestingly at the start of his second season in charge the team Ferencvaros met in the UEFA cup was MTZ Ripo.

Erm, Ripo won 3-2 on aggregate with a 2-0 away win in Hungary seeing them through

Although there did appear to be financial problems at Ferencvaros towards the end of his time....

Archived