Contalmaison Hearts Memorial Visit

joondalupjambo

joondalupjambo

I fly out today with my son to visit the various war grave sites, museums, etc. around Albert with the main purpose being to visit Contalmaison and the Hearts Memorial.  It has been always a visit that I have keen to do.  I have all the information on the Hearts memorial, McCrae's Battalion, the Hearts players involved and so on.

What I was wondering from anyone who has done this already is, are there any hidden gems in the area to visit apart from the usual Thiepval Memorial, Lochnager Crater and the Somme Museum etc.  We have the list of all these usual ones to visit but any information on anything unusual or different would be good to hear about from anyone who has been over already.

Also any out of the way bars or cafes in Albert itself that are worth hitting.

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

I fly out today with my son to visit the various war grave sites, museums, etc. around Albert with the main purpose being to visit Contalmaison and the Hearts Memorial.  It has been always a visit that I have keen to do.  I have all the information on the Hearts memorial, McCrae's Battalion, the Hearts players involved and so on.

What I was wondering from anyone who has done this already is, are there any hidden gems in the area to visit apart from the usual Thiepval Memorial, Lochnager Crater and the Somme Museum etc.  We have the list of all these usual ones to visit but any information on anything unusual or different would be good to hear about from anyone who has been over already.

There are literally hundreds of memorials in the area. 

Round the corner from Contalmaison Cairn is Bell's Redoubt then further down the road is  The Welsh 38th Memorial - The Red Dragon of Mametz. The Tank Memorial is also worth a visit as is the Pozieres Windmill, the Australian Memorial. There's a German Cemetery in Fricourt, original resting place of "The Bloody Red Baron" but he's since been moved to Berlin.

The Ulster Tower is on the way to Thiepval. 

facebook_1653292119459_6934409749816737012.jpg

facebook_1653292150802_6934409881278765875.jpg

facebook_1653292173836_6934409977891753691.jpg

facebook_1653292472724_6934411231520254373.jpg

facebook_1653292549419_6934411553201564882.jpg

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

The Highlander in Albert. Sign the flag above the door.

upgotheheads

There's so much to see there that you would need at least a week to do it any kind of justice, a hire car would be essential for me at least. the South African memorial at Delvlle wood is stunning, and the story of that battle is worth knowing before you go. There's  quite a lot over a small area maybe 10 miles square or smaller. Much of the land is still scarred by the battle if you know how to look at it, say in a low sun in the morning or evening. At Mametz Wood and Delville I think you're not allowed to stray off paths as there are still shells buried in the soil, don't go digging!

I wandered through one wood a few miles north of Contalmaison where I knew an important fight had taken place, the ground still showed signs of shell holes , but it is used today as a game hunting area so I thought it was safe, until I came upon a shell sticking out of the ground, perfectly visible.

If you haven't done so already try to read up  some wartime biographies, there's no shortage in bookshops like Waterstones, it would be worth taking a couple with you if you've got time to get them.

Hill 62 and vimmy ridge  mennin Gate and cloth museum in Ypres are worth a visit

Edited by Rockwell

joondalupjambo
4 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

There's so much to see there that you would need at least a week to do it any kind of justice, a hire car would be essential for me at least. the South African memorial at Delvlle wood is stunning, and the story of that battle is worth knowing before you go. There's  quite a lot over a small area maybe 10 miles square or smaller. Much of the land is still scarred by the battle if you know how to look at it, say in a low sun in the morning or evening. At Mametz Wood and Delville I think you're not allowed to stray off paths as there are still shells buried in the soil, don't go digging!

I wandered through one wood a few miles north of Contalmaison where I knew an important fight had taken place, the ground still showed signs of shell holes , but it is used today as a game hunting area so I thought it was safe, until I came upon a shell sticking out of the ground, perfectly visible.

If you haven't done so already try to read up  some wartime biographies, there's no shortage in bookshops like Waterstones, it would be worth taking a couple with you if you've got time to get them.

Interesting stuff and like you will "wander".  You tend to find things that way.  We are going for a week so plenty of time.  Have a few books, and copious notes but will no doubt fail to follow all of the research 😃

Beaumont Hamel is a must ( prob need a car though). Gives you an insight of the trenches on both sides, good info centre as well. Canadian run memorial dedicated to the Newfoundland regiment, also British memorial.

Maple Leaf

The Canadian memorial at Vimy Ridge is stunning and worth a visit, but it's past Arras so a bit further away. 

Not so far away is the Newfoundland memorial at Beaumont Hamel commemorating the particularly awful fate of that battalion on a particularly awful day for the British army.

I've been to the Somme once, when the Contalmaison cairn was unveiled.  I found it depressing beyond words  The sheer number of British cemeteries is numbing.

8 hours ago, Rockwell said:

Hill 62 and vimmy ridge  mennin Gate and cloth museum in Ypres are worth a visit

Ypres Square is nice for a beer to watch the world go by 

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The Canadian memorial at Vimy Ridge is stunning and worth a visit, but it's past Arras so a bit further away. 

Not so far away is the Newfoundland memorial at Beaumont Hamel commemorating the particularly awful fate of that battalion on a particularly awful day for the British army.

I've been to the Somme once, when the Contalmaison cairn was unveiled.  I found it depressing beyond words  The sheer number of British cemeteries is numbing.

The memorial at Vimy Ridge is huge.

image.thumb.jpeg.a5802d06dfb4ff858e029a5be86275ce.jpeg

Newfoundland Park at Beaumont Hamel is one of the most tragic stories of the battle of the Somme, some 800 men from the Newfoundland Regiment went over the top on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, only 68 answered roll call the next morning.  Over 300 men died that day with another 360+ wounded.  The regiment was to all intents and purposes annihilated and was never the same fighting force again.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ba68c44201dcba9d73d397acb007c1f.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Newfoundland Park at Beaumont Hamel is one of the most tragic stories of the battle of the Somme, some 800 men from the Newfoundland Regiment went over the top on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, only 68 answered roll call the next morning.  Over 300 men died that day with another 360+ wounded.  The regiment was to all intents and purposes annihilated and was never the same fighting force again.

Thing was most of them were killed before they got to the front line trenches. The communication trenches were packed with wounded being moved back to the rear and the Newfoundlers had to get up and move across the top therefore exposing themselves to withering fire, it really was a complete tragedy.

Jambo-Jimbo
9 hours ago, iainmac said:

There are literally hundreds of memorials in the area. 

Round the corner from Contalmaison Cairn is Bell's Redoubt then further down the road is  The Welsh 38th Memorial - The Red Dragon of Mametz. The Tank Memorial is also worth a visit as is the Pozieres Windmill, the Australian Memorial. There's a German Cemetery in Fricourt, original resting place of "The Bloody Red Baron" but he's since been moved to Berlin.

The Ulster Tower is on the way to Thiepval. 

facebook_1653292119459_6934409749816737012.jpg

The model tanks are seemingly made out of real scrap metal from British tanks.

Our guide told us a story from someone whom he'd taken back to the Somme and was there in the tanks at the battle, anyway it was so hot inside they had to strip down to their underpants totally against regulations as they were supposed to wear full uniforms and had to get dressed before they got out of the tank or they'd be on a charge.  Some weeks later a shell landed right next to his tank and flipped it over, well the exhaust pipes are on the inside and as he put out his hands to protect himself his arm hit the exhaust pipe, one of his mates had to use a bayonet to slice his arm off the exhaust.  Months later the guy returned to active tank duty.....real hereos.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, micole said:

Thing was most of them were killed before they got to the front line trenches. The communication trenches were packed with wounded being moved back to the rear and the Newfoundlers had to get up and move across the top therefore exposing themselves to withering fire, it really was a complete tragedy.

Yip absolute disaster on a whole day of disasters, a whole 4 years of disasters.

Trained One

Menin Gate in Ypres as they still play the last post each night, also Hill 60 nearby.

Jambo-Jimbo

Not something you'd expect to see in a German cemetery (Neuville St. Vaast, Near Arras)

IMG_0125.thumb.JPG.9b32859463276d4c4a1e561d0e6ab88f.JPG

Several Jewish headstones dotted about, there's another one to the top left in the background.

upgotheheads
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not something you'd expect to see in a German cemetery (Neuville St. Vaast, Near Arras)

IMG_0125.thumb.JPG.9b32859463276d4c4a1e561d0e6ab88f.JPG

Several Jewish headstones dotted about, there's another one to the top left in the background.

Jews were not persecuted in Germany in 1918, they were 20 years later though.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Jews were not persecuted in Germany in 1918, they were 20 years later though.

Indeed, but these were still largely left alone during WWII including the Jewish graves, Hitler seemingly issued a personal decree that all WWI memorials, cemeteries etc were not to be destroyed or defaced, of course some were, but most were not touched, the prospect of being put up against the nearest wall and shot did it's job.

upgotheheads
5 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Interesting stuff and like you will "wander".  You tend to find things that way.  We are going for a week so plenty of time.  Have a few books, and copious notes but will no doubt fail to follow all of the research 😃

Although it's more than a hundred years ago it all seems so recent and real when you stand there on the very ground. I spent a few days there on two occasions an will go back again one day. Two of the books I took with me were  'Somme  Mudd' by E.P.F Lynch, and 'The First Day On The Somme' by Martin Middlebrook, both take you right to the heart of it.

38 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The model tanks are seemingly made out of real scrap metal from British tanks.

Our guide told us a story from someone whom he'd taken back to the Somme and was there in the tanks at the battle, anyway it was so hot inside they had to strip down to their underpants totally against regulations as they were supposed to wear full uniforms and had to get dressed before they got out of the tank or they'd be on a charge.  Some weeks later a shell landed right next to his tank and flipped it over, well the exhaust pipes are on the inside and as he put out his hands to protect himself his arm hit the exhaust pipe, one of his mates had to use a bayonet to slice his arm off the exhaust.  Months later the guy returned to active tank duty.....real hereos.

Horrific!

Have a closer look at the fence at the Tank Memorial.

Cannon shells supported by tank barrels.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

excuse my ignorance but I assume those steps going down are into an "actual" trench ? Thanks guys 

4 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

excuse my ignorance but I assume those steps going down are into an "actual" trench ? Thanks guys 

Yup you access to all the trench systems, not just the British ones but also the German trenches. You walk down a path passed the "dying tree" towards the Greman trenches.

Jambo-Jimbo

I did a bus tour in 2018, visiting Ypres, Arras & the Somme and many many places inbetween.

The evening before the visit to the Somme, I asked our guide what he knew about McCrae's battalion, to my surprise he knew a bit about them, long story short I told him I was a Hearts fan and he said I'll see what I can do.

Guess what, they made a detour on our way to the Lochnagar crater and stopped at Contalmaison for me, 15 minutes, but enough time for me to pay my respects, the guide also informed the bus about McCrae's Battalion and the sacrifice the Hearts players had made on the first day of the Somme, made me so proud to be a Jambo, on the way away from Contalmaison the guide got the bus to slow down and showed me roughly were the Royal Scots had went over the top on that day, it's just nothing fields now.

Yrpes has a family connection as I had a Great Grand Uncle who was there near Hooge in April 1915 at the Second Battle of Ypres, this was the battle when the Germans used gas for the first time and as far as I can tell he was right in the front line trenches at the time.

He survived until a month from the end of the war when he died from wounds in October 1918 in Salonika, Greece, he almost made it, had been fighting from early 1915 right through to 1918 and a month before the end was killed.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I did a bus tour in 2018, visiting Ypres, Arras & the Somme and many many places inbetween.

The evening before the visit to the Somme, I asked our guide what he knew about McCrae's battalion, to my surprise he knew a bit about them, long story short I told him I was a Hearts fan and he said I'll see what I can do.

Guess what, they made a detour on our way to the Lochnagar crater and stopped at Contalmaison for me, 15 minutes, but enough time for me to pay my respects, the guide also informed the bus about McCrae's Battalion and the sacrifice the Hearts players had made on the first day of the Somme, made me so proud to be a Jambo, on the way away from Contalmaison the guide got the bus to slow down and showed me roughly were the Royal Scots had went over the top on that day, it's just nothing fields now.

Yrpes has a family connection as I had a Great Grand Uncle who was there near Hooge in April 1915 at the Second Battle of Ypres, this was the battle when the Germans used gas for the first time and as far as I can tell he was right in the front line trenches at the time.

He survived until a month from the end of the war when he died from wounds in October 1918 in Salonika, Greece, he almost made it, had been fighting from early 1915 right through to 1918 and a month before the end was killed.

Me and 5 mates did the whole Somme thing in 2016 visited Contalmasion, the whole thing was a very sobering and emotional experience. I have also visited Verdun ,the slaughter there was at another level. My Grandad got part of his elbow shot off by a sniper at Ypres,  I suppose he was one of the lucky ones to get a "blighty wound". Tragic story about your Grand Uncle, just one of the many sad tales of WW1, Lest we forget indeed.

18 minutes ago, micole said:

Yup you access to all the trench systems, not just the British ones but also the German trenches. You walk down a path passed the "dying tree" towards the Greman trenches.

thanks

Jambo-Jimbo
46 minutes ago, micole said:

Me and 5 mates did the whole Somme thing in 2016 visited Contalmasion, the whole thing was a very sobering and emotional experience. I have also visited Verdun ,the slaughter there was at another level. My Grandad got part of his elbow shot off by a sniper at Ypres,  I suppose he was one of the lucky ones to get a "blighty wound". Tragic story about your Grand Uncle, just one of the many sad tales of WW1, Lest we forget indeed.

Always remember one my daughter got told on a school trip, they went to a French cemetery and stood in front of two graves, father & son both killed on the same day at the same battle, the son was only 15, just imagine that poor wife & mother receiving two telegrammes possibly on the same day...

22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Always remember one my daughter got told on a school trip, they went to a French cemetery and stood in front of two graves, father & son both killed on the same day at the same battle, the son was only 15, just imagine that poor wife & mother receiving two telegrammes possibly on the same day...

Sad indeed, we came across a grave of a 14!!...year old boy, that really got to me, astounding how he managed to even sign up, I know a lot lied about their age but 14!!....such an awful awful waste.

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Can I ask where are you flying too and are you renting a vehicle?

Hi Belge, hope all ok.

We flew to Paris and are taking train to Albert.  Not a hire car booked but might grab one for a couple of days.

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, micole said:

Probably the same sniper that got my Grandad.  He was 17 and at Ypres.  I have posted this before but apparently he said that we was filling water bottles and got shot in the hand.  Wound bad enough to get sent home and discharged.  Now there are tales of young boys being told by the older guys to put their hand above the trench wall.  Given the carnage you can understand why.

16 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Hi Belge, hope all ok.

We flew to Paris and are taking train to Albert.  Not a hire car booked but might grab one for a couple of days.

Think you have to change at Amiens for Albert. You can hire a driver for the day in Amiens / Albert.

BelgeJambo
7 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Hi Belge, hope all ok.

All good mate

Vimy Ridge is impressive like others have said

The Menin Gate in Ypres might just be a bit off the beaten track for you this time

Did a cycling tour with some mates a few years ago. A week is never enough to fit in everything. From memory the field where the famous Christmas Day football match took place isn't that far from Contalmaison. There isn't much of a memorial there but there were lots of footballs, making for a rather surreal experience. For me the Menin Gate and the cemetery at Tyne Cot were standouts, if that's the right expression for something so moving. 

joondalupjambo
16 hours ago, iainmac said:

Think you have to change at Amiens for Albert. You can hire a driver for the day in Amiens / Albert.

Just arrived in Albert, cracking Airbnb on first impressions.  Train from Paris to Amiens and, yep changed at Amiens.  Albert looks nice place, raring to start the visits tomorrow.

Ballitojambo

I was visiting relatives of the wife in Brussels last year and convinced them to drive me down to visit my great grandfather’s grave at Hargicourt , it’s a tiny place no more than a hamlet but actually has 2 cemetery’s, I was astounded on checking online that there are actually 34 men of the 16th buried there as well as some poor soul (actually right next to my great grandad ) who has no name on his headstone just the unit ( 16th royal Scot’s) , it’s so out the way ( we were the 3rd visitors in 6 months) that it’s rarely visited, hope with this info more Jambos can get there, it’s an incredibly rich experience, lest we forget.

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Just arrived in Albert, cracking Airbnb on first impressions.  Train from Paris to Amiens and, yep changed at Amiens.  Albert looks nice place, raring to start the visits tomorrow.

A few updates and photos would be nice if you're not too knackered.🙃

joondalupjambo
39 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

A few updates and photos would be nice if you're not too knackered.🙃

How do I upload a photo? 😃😃

Will give it a go once we have visited a few places and I work out how to do it.  Watch this space.

joondalupjambo

Well you asked for a photo.  I tried but failed.  We'll see if I can sort it tonight but in the meantime here is the text😃

The Protestant Boys Flute band at this very moment are playing in front of Albert Cathedral.  We are currently being treated to a play a long including The Sash my Father Wore!!!!

We assume they are here to visit the Ulster memorial.  Oh wait more ditties from them.  It is like being at the Cup Final😃😃 And ripples of applause from the French audience.  

PS It is only a 4.5mb file but fails on upload.  Thought that would be small enough to upload?  Anyway son took a screenshot and bingo.

Screenshot_20220525-141413-460.png

Edited by joondalupjambo

Screenshot the photo, then edit it to crop out the phone stuff top & bottom. It'll then be, say, 110 Kb, or so.

14 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Well you asked for a photo.  I tried but failed.  We'll see if I can sort it tonight but in the meantime here is the text😃

The Protestant Boys Flute band at this very moment are playing in front of Albert Cathedral.  We are currently being treated to a play a long including The Sash my Father Wore!!!!

We assume they are here to visit the Ulster memorial.  Oh wait more ditties from them.  It is like being at the Cup Final😃😃 And ripples of applause from the French audience.  

PS It is only a 4.5mb file but fails on upload.  Thought that would be small enough to upload?

Screenshot the photo, then edit it to crop out the phone stuff top & bottom. It'll then be, say, 110Kb, or so.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

Screenshot the photo, then edit it to crop out the phone stuff top & bottom. It'll then be, say, 110Kb, or so.

Cheers WM all done ok I think.

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

PS It is only a 4.5mb file but fails on upload.  Thought that would be small enough to upload?  Anyway son took a screenshot and bingo.

Screenshot_20220525-141413-460.png

4.5mb is too large, that's why it won't upload, you'll need to compress it down in size, couple of hundred kb's is usually enough.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

4.5mb is too large, that's why it won't upload, you'll need to compress it down in size, couple of hundred kb's is usually enough.

Cheers is up now, you should see it in previous post.

joondalupjambo

So today we did this round by foot, about 5 hours of walking through the Somme countryside on tracks and back roads.  Superb. Warm, bit of cloud and no rain.

Albert to Becourt Military cemetery, Fricourt Military cemetery, Fricourt German cemetery, Welsh Division Memorial in front of Mametz Wood, Bell's Redoubt, Contalmaison Cairn, Gordon Dump, Lochnagar Crater and back to Albert.

Photos are of Becourt cemetery in a dip as you approach the village, Fricourt German cemetery where it is four names to a cross and also four trenches where soldiers were layed, about 5000 in that cemetery, Contalmaison church with the Scottish and French flags which looked amazing as you approached.

Screenshot_20220526-160738-611.png

Screenshot_20220526-160756-724.png

Screenshot_20220526-160819-278.png

joondalupjambo

And one of the Contalmaison Cairn with my Heart's scarf on it.

Screenshot_20220526-162110-199.png

Psychedelicropcircle

I’m in Libramont soon near the French Belgien border might have to Google maps how far this is🤔

Hawthorn crater and the sunken Lane are very near Beaumont Hamel. We'll worth taking the time to stop there as it's where this mine explosion was filmed along with the Lancashire fusiliers before they attacked. And if you go to vimy ridge make sure you go on the tour of the tunnels.