This is what is wrong with modern football

John Findlay

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I don’t know why people pretend to have some kind of link and love for brands like man utd, real madrid etc.

Cheer at their tvs and have this weird fake relationship with clubs that pay players £100s of thousands a week.  

Give me Hearts and Scottish football over that plastic pish any day of the week.  

I'm with this guy

On 22/05/2022 at 19:26, jonesy said:

For me the funniest part is that folk even care about these clubs. 

It's like Hearts (and the res of Scottish football fans) arguing about which OF team they dislike more. Its the whole thing that stinks, not just individual teams. 

This is absolutely it for me. 

Why on earth would I pay the best part of a hundred pounds for a ticket to watch a couple of dozen multi-millionaires stroll around kicking a ball entirely for the current paycheck, or to try and earn the next big one.  Teams like Manchester City, who's history revolves around a recent takeover, celebrating winning the league against other multi-millionaires, pretending that they give the slightest of shites about what colour shirt they are pulling on for that season.  I'll never have a sniff of the type of money in my life what they get paid in a matter of weeks. 

Instead, I can pay £30 for a ticket to watch the team that I've grown up watching, to watch players who get paid money which is much closer to my own salary, a club that players genuinely fall in love with after a short spell here, a club that has players who want to be here, and care about the club. 

The Champions League is a nonsense competition to make clubs more money. The very fact that a team that finishes 4th in the Premiership can be given entry to a league that calls itself the Champions League is a farce. 

McGlynn The Money
19 hours ago, tian447 said:

Why on earth would I pay the best part of a hundred pounds for a ticket to watch a couple of dozen multi-millionaires stroll around kicking a ball entirely for the current paycheck, or to try and earn the next big one.  Teams like Manchester City, who's history revolves around a recent takeover, celebrating winning the league against other multi-millionaires, pretending that they give the slightest of shites about what colour shirt they are pulling on for that season.  I'll never have a sniff of the type of money in my life what they get paid in a matter of weeks. 

Instead, I can pay £30 for a ticket to watch the team that I've grown up watching, to watch players who get paid money which is much closer to my own salary, a club that players genuinely fall in love with after a short spell here, a club that has players who want to be here, and care about the club. 

The Champions League is a nonsense competition to make clubs more money. The very fact that a team that finishes 4th in the Premiership can be given entry to a league that calls itself the Champions League is a farce. 

I've said it before but they should go back to the old way with the European Cup, the UEFA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup. Straight knockouts, no seeding and only champions in the European Cup.

Malinga the Swinga
19 hours ago, Shanks said:

I don’t know why people pretend to have some kind of link and love for brands like man utd, real madrid etc.

Cheer at their tvs and have this weird fake relationship with clubs that pay players £100s of thousands a week.  

Give me Hearts and Scottish football over that plastic pish any day of the week.  

Give me Hearts but the rest of Scottish football can go **** itself.

The rest of your post just described the relationship between Celtic/Sevco and Scotland.

I doubt many on here will complain about the money involved when we finish second in the league next season and qualify for automatic entry to the CL group stage! 

2 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

I've said it before but they should go back to the old way with the European Cup, the UEFA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup. Straight knockouts, no seeding and only champions in the European Cup.

I agree completely.  The Champions League / European Cup would give a proper incentive for teams to win the league, but could you imagine the moaning when the teams that usually qualify by coming 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lose access to their cash cow? 

All the European leagues should be treated equally; why should the Albanian or Romanian Champions be treated any less than a team that finishes 4th in the English league?  Spurs finished the season 22 points behind Man City, which is more than 7 losses worth of points.  Why should they be rewarded for just scraping in?  We might end up with games like Sheriff Tiraspol v Real Madrid, but we already did, and they beat them 2-1 (as well as losing 3-0), but games like that are much more interesting to watch than the 500th meeting of Barcelona and Liverpool.

The UEFA cup could be the exact same format as the current Champions league, minus the winners.  2nd, 3rd, and 4th from the "bigger leagues" can go into that competition, complete with qualifiers, and then the new Conference League can be for the rest.

It will never happen, because the money involved has got completely out of hand, and some of the bigger teams would have to cut back their spending so much or even face going bust just without access to that money.  Maybe it's the sort of change that needs to happen to pop the bubble a wee bit, and bring things back down to Earth before there is a cataclysmic implosion.

42 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Agree but there Is too much money involved for this to happen.

20 hours ago, tian447 said:

That Manchester City history nonsense always pops up.

They were very good late 60's early 70's.

They also won an European trophy before Liverpool and Chelsea.

They also won an domestic trophy and a European trophy in the same year.

The second English team to do so.

Leeds being the first English team to do so.

The Spurs great team of early 60's were the first British club to win an European trophy.

56 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Completely agree. The only non league winners that should get in are the current champions League, Europa League and Conference League winners. It would help give some more prestige to those two competitions rather than the distain some teams/countries give it

54 minutes ago, benny said:

That Manchester City history nonsense always pops up.

They were very good late 60's early 70's.

They also won an European trophy before Liverpool and Chelsea.

They also won an domestic trophy and a European trophy in the same year.

The second English team to do so.

Leeds being the first English team to do so.

The Spurs great team of early 60's were the first British club to win an European trophy.

Manchester City were a very good team 50 to 60 years ago, and they won the European Cup 52 years ago.  Since then though, they were dotting around the bottom of the 1st division, and the top end of the 2nd division, never achieving anything.  They fell from being relevant, and would have continued to do so had there not been the massive injection of cash that was given to them.

With the plastic armchair fan style supporting that makes up the majority of the Premier League, hardly anyone would have been interested in Manchester City if they were still jumping between top of the Championship, or avoiding relegation in the Premiership, especially with a popular team like Man United on their doorstep.  Those kind of fans, and their money, are fickle - same as the people who support Celtic and Rangers all across Scotland with no ties to Glasgow in the slightest.

Do you dispute that without the money, Manchester City would be absolutely ****ing nowhere near the Champions League places, never mind winning the Premier League?

54 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Manchester City were a very good team 50 to 60 years ago, and they won the European Cup 52 years ago.  Since then though, they were dotting around the bottom of the 1st division, and the top end of the 2nd division, never achieving anything.  They fell from being relevant, and would have continued to do so had there not been the massive injection of cash that was given to them.

With the plastic armchair fan style supporting that makes up the majority of the Premier League, hardly anyone would have been interested in Manchester City if they were still jumping between top of the Championship, or avoiding relegation in the Premiership, especially with a popular team like Man United on their doorstep.  Those kind of fans, and their money, are fickle - same as the people who support Celtic and Rangers all across Scotland with no ties to Glasgow in the slightest.

Do you dispute that without the money, Manchester City would be absolutely ****ing nowhere near the Champions League places, never mind winning the Premier League?

Off course they wouldn't but they have a history,a very decent history.

Their fan base has remained loyal as well.As have Leeds,West Ham,Everton,Newcastle,Sunderland and Spurs among others.

Since I first came on kickback there has always been a strong interest in the English game.

A lot of interest to  clubs down there long before Sky.

Man Utd going on a run of not winning the league is no surprise as well.

They have only had 3 managers that have won the title in the top leagues.

Despite it's criticism from some it is in my opinion the best league in the world.Well worth watching.

City won the league this season having the 11th biggest net spend in the league.

So it shows you how well the club is run.

My opinion is most club fans are loyal but the main difference is the Asian following.A huge market for the top clubs and one that the successful teams take advantage of pre season tours and the likes.

I understand it is not for everyone but as a league it promotes itself brilliantly.

I would also like Champions League games to be Champions only but it is not going to happen but again some of the games over the years have been brilliant to watch.

Has there ever been an English team won the Champions League as Champions of EPL.

McGlynn The Money
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Cracking response from the Ligue 1 president to his La Liga counterpart.

Wonder how much Qatar paid him to write that or maybe they just threatened him.

More power to PSG though, a genuine rags to riches story.

The Ultimate Worrier
On 25/05/2022 at 15:34, Shanks said:

On 25/05/2022 at 15:43, Smithee said:

I'm with this guy

On 25/05/2022 at 15:58, tian447 said:

Each to their own I suppose. No harm in watching other leagues and it would be a boring old world of we all just liked the same things.

It's all relative. 

Signing on fees are normal now when you sign a new contract. 

And plenty illegal payments way back down the years. 

Angel eyes

Mane(Liverpool) wanted his pay up to 393k A WEEK Liverpool have said no, hence his transfer, do c@#ts like him no relise what’s happening in the world.

On 26/05/2022 at 13:13, tian447 said:

Not necessarily you but there's folk on another thread creaming themselves about a "big" club like Nottingham Forest being back in the Premiership. 

Take out 10 years if that and they're nothing. 

Man City have won things across their history. 

The fact they were crap in recent decades before the takeover doesn’t change that.

8 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Mane(Liverpool) wanted his pay up to 393k A WEEK Liverpool have said no, hence his transfer, do c@#ts like him no relise what’s happening in the world.

I think I read that he gives totally ludicrous amounts of money to the poor people from his home town

11 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Not necessarily you but there's folk on another thread creaming themselves about a "big" club like Nottingham Forest being back in the Premiership. 

Take out 10 years if that and they're nothing. 

Man City have won things across their history. 

The fact they were crap in recent decades before the takeover doesn’t change that.

I can’t be bothered going back to find the post you quoted but Man City have certainly never won the European Cup as the poster stated. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I can’t be bothered going back to find the post you quoted but Man City have certainly never won the European Cup as the poster stated. 

No they won the Cup Winners Cup.

On 26/05/2022 at 13:13, tian447 said:

Man Utd are popular because glory hunters jumped on their band wagon during the early Fergie years, when ironically they were out spending everyone else and buying the best players in the league. They also over inflated the transfer market when they sold Ronaldo for about 90 million. As soon as other teams had equal amounts of money which they had to spend more off to catch up, Utd soon fell into the pack, fergie left and they’ve fallen further behind. To get back they’ll need to spend hideous amounts of cash, yet no one seems to get so worked up about how much Utd spend they seem to get a free pass. 

It’s just a fact now that kids follow the EPL it’s sensationally well marketed and generates huge amounts of cash so whoever is top of that league will attract attention and get a whole lot of new fans for the period of time they’re top. Watch the Newcastle strips start to appear when they start to get near the top.

As for Man City’s history it’s not as if they hadn’t won anything before the money arrived and pre EPL were as big a team as Utd. 

Fitzroy Pointon
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Ffs, so many media outlets were reporting it as well. Does any journalist do proper research these days or just get their stories from social media? 

10 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Man Utd are popular because glory hunters jumped on their band wagon during the early Fergie years, when ironically they were out spending everyone else and buying the best players in the league. They also over inflated the transfer market when they sold Ronaldo for about 90 million. As soon as other teams had equal amounts of money which they had to spend more off to catch up, Utd soon fell into the pack, fergie left and they’ve fallen further behind. To get back they’ll need to spend hideous amounts of cash, yet no one seems to get so worked up about how much Utd spend they seem to get a free pass. 

It’s just a fact now that kids follow the EPL it’s sensationally well marketed and generates huge amounts of cash so whoever is top of that league will attract attention and get a whole lot of new fans for the period of time they’re top. Watch the Newcastle strips start to appear when they start to get near the top.

As for Man City’s history it’s not as if they hadn’t won anything before the money arrived and pre EPL were as big a team as Utd. 

The difference with Man Utd is that they have generated their own cash and not been bankrolled by billionaires.  Where other owners are constantly signing off cheques the Glazers have actually made a fortune from Man U.

4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

The difference with Man Utd is that they have generated their own cash and not been bankrolled by billionaires.  Where other owners are constantly signing off cheques the Glazers have actually made a fortune from Man U.

Yes because they happened to be the best in England at the point large amounts of money came in from the Champions league. 

Others had to invest to keep up 

5 years earlier it would have been Liverpool. 

John Findlay
5 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

The Glazers have spent plenty on transfers at Man Utd. £80M for Harry Maguire, and £72M for Jadon Sando, but two examples.