"Amidst specualtion of joining Hearts"

scott_jambo

Remnants of Standards

Hmm interesting, that Uganda hasn't been plundered for players by European clubs although some may play in France for example, still strange that none have entered British clubs' radars until now. Surely worth a gamble compared to the duds in place now?

scott herbertson

If he is half as fast as his uncle he would skin any full back in the SPL

"His uncle, John Akii-Bua was a hurdler in track and field. He became Uganda's first Olympic champion after winning the 400-meter hurdles in the world record time of 47.82 seconds at the 1972 Munich Olympics."

A bit of pace out wide would be a tremendous asset to our team and might even bring guys like Nade more into play

Cardiac Rucksack
According to the regulations, this guy isnt eligible for a work permit

Even if we put up the best case ever there is no chance we would get him.:sad:

Victor Meldrew
According to the regulations, this guy isnt eligible for a work permit

Makes you wonder why West Ham would bother giving him a trial if it were so open and shut though.

Rudolf's Mate

Because the English Prem are open to helping developing players from other countries! The SPL are against anyone other than the OF!

Only a Game
Because the English Prem are open to helping developing players from other countries! The SPL are against anyone other than the OF!

But the regulations are designed (by the DOE, not the football authorities) to enhance the game in this country, not develop other countries players.

The regulations WOULD allow for us to appeal a work permit refusal (it would initially be refused, of that there is no doubt) for Oboa and the like but we'd need to ensure we got a fair appeals committee and have a precedent to identify. If we get knocked back by the likes of Higgins and Mcleod again we should be thinking of going to court or UEFA.

Don't know much about work permits etc...But, could Vlad not sign him for Kaunas then send him here on loan???

He's sent us enough Sheeite from there, the least he could do was give us some quality from the Joke club that is Kaunas!!

Only a Game
Don't know much about work permits etc...But, could Vlad not sign him for Kaunas then send him here on loan???

He's sent us enough Sheeite from there, the least he could do was give us some quality from the Joke club that is Kaunas!!

No.

If they are coming on loan they still need a work permit

any chance of the infamous Mabawsa Ritchie signing? half ugandan/half scottish - could maybe do a decent job....:wacko:

any chance of the infamous Mabawsa Ritchie signing? half ugandan/half scottish - could maybe do a decent job....:wacko:

Not much good - he suffers from groin trouble.

shaun.lawson
The criteria is the top 70 FIFA ranked teams and Algeria are 93rd having gained 10 places. :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/k/kilmarnock/7192752.stm

I suspect it might be the top 80 rather than top 70 - and in January, Algeria were in the top 80:

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=alg/ranking/gender=m/index.html

OAG made this point about work permits the other night: we're going to have a huge problem getting any for any Ugandan players, and I don't think anyone's answered him satisfactorily yet to be honest.

Only a Game
I suspect it might be the top 80 rather than top 70 - and in January, Algeria were in the top 80:

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=alg/ranking/gender=m/index.html

OAG made this point about work permits the other night: we're going to have a huge problem getting any for any Ugandan players, and I don't think anyone's answered him satisfactorily yet to be honest.

No he's right it is top 70. Algeria were 76th in January.

I can only assume that was close enough to help with a succesful appeal

The guy had also spent most of his life in France which probably helped.

Charlie-Brown

I think the Murdo McLeod & Tony Higgins conspiracy theory is probably closer to the truth.

Only a Game
I think the Murdo McLeod & Tony Higgins conspiracy theory is probably closer to the truth.

I'm not a great one for conspiracy theories but this was not a very transparent and fair appeals committee was it. Considering the same people refused one for Gogua, who was only a bawhair away from qualifying for a WP automatically.

shaun.lawson

The guy had also spent most of his life in France which probably helped.

Fair dos - and in terms of the conspiracy/lack of transparency point, I quite agree. Not good.

Charlie-Brown

There was also the same few ex-Hibbies on the panel that refused Hibs other rivals Dundee Utd a permit renewal for Jason Scotland (who'd also scored & pumped Hibs in the SC Semi that year) whilst granting him a WP for 1st Division St. Johnstone that same transfer window. Farcical.

shaun.lawson
There was also the same few ex-Hibbies on the panel that refused Hibs other rivals Dundee Utd a permit renewal for Jason Scotland (who'd also scored & pumped Hibs in the SC Semi that year) whilst granting him a WP for 1st Division St. Johnstone that same transfer window. Farcical.

I know. That whole nonsense should've led to the committee being ripped up, and a transparent, fair process put in its place - but since when have either 'transparency' or 'fairness' been used in the same sentence as 'Scottish football'? It's absolutely ridiculous.

Drylaw Hearts

There is a lower level of qualification required to join a 1st Division Club than there is for an SPL Club.

Only a Game
There is a lower level of qualification required to join a 1st Division Club than there is for an SPL Club.

Actually if you read the regulations you should not be able to get a WP for a club lower than SPL level EVER.

The whole Jason Scotland thing was very suspicious.

Charlie-Brown

Hibs Moroccans had also never played the requisite number of valid Internationals (Benji hadn't played any at all whilst Zemamma had only played a couple of Olympic qualifiers and possibly a friendly) yet they got permits, Morocco were in the top 40 at the time but these players didn't even get close to being eligible....the panel granted them special case exemptions.

shaun.lawson
Hibs Moroccans had also never played the requisite number of valid Internationals (Benji hadn't played any at all whilst Zemamma had only played a couple of Olympic qualifiers and possibly a friendly) yet they got permits, Morocco were in the top 40 at the time but these players didn't even get close to being eligible....the panel granted them special case exemptions.

In a sense though NMH, this is why many of us have our heads in our hands whenever Vlad talks about "mafias" and so on. Don't get me wrong, the system's a joke - but until you're truly in a position to change it, you have to play it, otherwise the only person you hurt is yourself. Alienating people and making enemies just doesn't make sense if you want to succeed.

Ron Burgundy
In a sense though NMH, this is why many of us have our heads in our hands whenever Vlad talks about "mafias" and so on. Don't get me wrong, the system's a joke - but until you're truly in a position to change it, you have to play it, otherwise the only person you hurt is yourself. Alienating people and making enemies just doesn't make sense if you want to succeed.

In a sense your right but I can't see Vlad bending over and taking it like every other SPL chairmen.

And for that I am glad.

Charlie-Brown

I agree with the last sentence :) however you cannot play within a bent system or a system that is stacked against you....you simply won't or can't win - the 'house' always wins........the WP panels is full of glaring inconsistencies that can be 'explained' by the panels professional 'expertise' / subjective judgement / bias........

shaun.lawson
I agree with the last sentence :) however you cannot play within a bent system or a system that is stacked against you....you simply won't or can't win - the 'house' always wins........the WP panels is full of glaring inconsistencies that can be 'explained' by the panels professional 'expertise' / subjective judgement / bias........

True - but to look at another example (separate, but related in terms of the debate we're having), isn't there a strong argument that Aberdeen and Dundee United were helped in the 80s by having officials on the SFA committee or something? Heck, a Hearts-supporting ref even did our game at Dens: bloody idiot! :sad: Given all that, it must be possible to ingratiate ourselves to some degree, no?

And again, while I agree in part with what JM said above, complaints about bent systems would look so much more credible if Vlad wasn't perceived to be either bent himself, or have benefited from a similarly bent system in Lithuania...

shaun.lawson
Remind me why Jim Farry had to resign?

Oh, NMH, I know. :mad: But if it was possible in the 80s... Oddly, I used to think we had more influence within the corridors of power when Pieman :boak: was at the helm - and he was the main guy behind the Gang of Ten breakaway back then too. Around that time, we were still being cheated senseless against the OF, but I always felt benefited from dodgy decisions ourselves against non-OF sides, and especially at Tynie.

Incidentally, re: your comment about the 'house' always winning. This is why I'll never, ever be able to understand Rangers fans. As far as I'm concerned, supporting Rangers is like wanting the house to win at blackjack!

Charlie-Brown

Aberdeen & Dundee Utd had to have really super teams in the eighties to beat the Old Firm and even then there was lots of very dubious decisions given against them in games against the Uglies however they had teams capable of getting to the latter stages of european competitions whilst at the same time Celtic & especially Rangers were relatively much weaker than they had been in a long time before or since...Celtic weren't that bad & were always up there but did nothing in Europe compared to the New Firm at that time.

Archived