"Ghost" grounds in the Gorgie area

redjambo

My apologies if this has already been posted (I would be surprised if it hadn't), but I just came across this really interesting article on former football grounds in the Gorgie area which have long since disappeared. I thought I would post it in case anyone else also found it interesting.

https://ghostgrounds.wordpress.com/2021/09/02/gorgie-stenhouse/

Fascinating read. And this obviously no VAR back then only dissent and walking away! 

One of the last recorded matches to be played here took place between Civil Service Strollers and Burntisland Shipyard, with the game abandoned with 12 minutes remaining after the Fife team took issue with the referee’s decision not to award them ‘what appeared a legitimate goal’. 

luckyBatistuta

Great read👍

Ladies getting in for free...if only they hadn’t been stuck in the house cooking dinner for their hubby coming back from the game/pub. 

PortyBeach
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

My apologies if this has already been posted (I would be surprised if it hadn't), but I just came across this really interesting article on former football grounds in the Gorgie area which have long since disappeared. I thought I would post it in case anyone else also found it interesting.

👏 Great post.

I’ve seen this site before and it’s really interesting and informative. 
One of the most intriguing grounds for me was the one situated between Canongate and Calton Road, west of Canongate Kirkyard.

It occupied the site of a former gasworks site and was named “Bathgate Park” after the local councillor who’d helped the team (Edinburgh Emmet FC) acquire the site.

509EF94A-19A2-45B2-81AE-57CAC04356EA.jpeg

Francis Albert

Good post. So much of what is relatively recent urban  history has been lost. A working class sport was not of much interest I suppose.

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

Thank you so much for posting this. The references to games played by St Cuthbert's Athletic in the early 30's mean a lot to me as my Grandad played for them.

They won the midweek league three years on the trot!

31, 32 & 33 iirc.