War in Ukraine could impact Scottish clubs in Europe

Naisys Tackle

• davemclaren changed the title to War in Ukraine could impact Scottish clubs in Europe

No chance of this happening I don’t think. If it does and we don’t get automatically into the group stages they’d have to compensate us anyway. 

kingantti1874

Don’t mean to sound heartless.. but that wouldn’t be legal.  You can’t punish other countries for the tragedy playing out in Ukraine 

On 28/04/2022 at 22:18, PaddysBar said:

No chance of this happening I don’t think. If it does and we don’t get automatically into the group stages they’d have to compensate us anyway. 

Strange choice of words mate. NO CHANCE followed by I DON'T THINK, and then IF IT DID HAPPEN.....

I think you know as much as we do.......😁

This war ain’t going to be over any time soon so would they be able to play their fixtures in the first place?

Hackney Hearts

I don't quite see the reasoning - they say it's because they can't play qualifiers in the current war situation.... but surely the same applies to group matches? It's not like the war's going to be over by August, or even the end of the year.

That would be bad news getting voted out of the automatic group stage.    Not like Hearts to get voted out of a league 😖 

I think Ukraine clubs could play neutral stadiums if agreed with clubs.   That's most likely.    

jamboinglasgow

I would not take that too seriously, I imagine it was one of many ideas suggested but doesn't mean it will be carried out. 

I suspect if Ukrainian clubs can take part, they will play games in neutral countries.

Absolute lot of rubbish I've just read in that article,if the Ukrainians are added it will be extra places and not in place of others,why would Scottish Turkish clubs etc just sit back and say "aye that's OK UEFA we'll suffer financial ourselves so that the Ukrainian clubs dont" lot of nonsense 

5 minutes ago, sinks said:

I don't pretend to understand how uefa work anything out but wouldn't Ukrainian teams replace Russian teams?

Come on that’s the easy way to do it let them have a big meeting then after they sober up they will come up with that idea

10 minutes ago, sinks said:

I don't pretend to understand how uefa work anything out but wouldn't Ukrainian teams replace Russian teams?

Vlad will nuke Switzerland.

Heartsmad1874

Shakhtar, Dnipro guaranteed group stage football anyway.

Dynamo Kyiv just need to win one game to guarantee it.

They have two teams in the Conference League Vorskla Poltava (2nd Qualifying Round) and Zorya Luhansk (3rd qualifying round) 

Saint Jambo
10 minutes ago, sinks said:

Not all Russian teams go straight into the group stage so that wouldn't solve the problem of Ukraine teams not being able to play games at the play-off stage.

But the idea that they won't be able to play games in the play-off but will be by the time of the group stages a few weeks later seems like mystic meg stuff. 

Just now, Herbert. said:

Won't happen, doubt football will be on the agenda in the Ukraine for a while.

This ! Dynamo Keiv playing in a war zone . However over and above why ?

Don’t think they can legally push that through tbh, I’d imagine they’d just have some temporary 5 team groups

Heartsmad1874

Hearts are due to enter the play off round at the same stage as the only Ukranian team, Dnipro. 

How parachuting them into the group stage would effect Hearts i have no idea because we'd have to be in the group stage for it to have a negative impact.

Think the Portuguese CW might be nervous though if this was to happen.

They'd effectively be playing football in UEFA tournaments only. 

2/3 of the national side are from domestic based clubs and the league has been suspended for months. Seems nuts to me. 

49 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Is that the Rangers media website I think anytime Iv come across it its 90% Rangers articles

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, theshed said:

This war ain’t going to be over any time soon so would they be able to play their fixtures in the first place?

Dynamo Kyiv is already playing friendly matches outside Ukraine. A number of elite Ukrainian sports teams and individuals have permission to play abroad.

This game was played on Sunday

Bit of a non story. Came from a Ukraine team so maybe bit of a pipe dream for them. Seemed like they were more worried about old firm affected for champions league’s 

Heartsmad1874
10 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Bit of a non story. Came from a Ukraine team so maybe bit of a pipe dream for them. Seemed like they were more worried about old firm affected for champions league’s 

It came from Dnipro, who like us are guaranteed Conference at the very least 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, Section Q said:

Strange choice of words mate. NO CHANCE followed by I DON'T THINK, and then IF IT DID HAPPEN.....

I think you know as much as we do.......😁

Aye. Reading it back I don’t understand it either😆

The rules have been clear (if complex) since the start of the season, and there is a LOT of money at stake here. If UEFA tried this then they would get sued by anyone who lost out, and with good reason. It isn’t going to happen.

I've heard they're thinking of a compromise to allow Ukraine and Russia to keep teams in the competition.

world-of-tanks.0.jpg

4 hours ago, sadj said:

Is that the Rangers media website I think anytime Iv come across it its 90% Rangers articles

Like these Edinburgh/Glasgow Live pages that pop up on Facebook and Twitter all the time it's owned by the same folk as the Daily Record, Star, Express, Mirror etc and basically just re-brands and clickbaitifies their Scottish sports stories for an audience that maybe wouldn't read an article from one of their other publications. 

So yeah, basically Rangers Media. 

10 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

I don't quite see the reasoning - they say it's because they can't play qualifiers in the current war situation.... but surely the same applies to group matches? It's not like the war's going to be over by August, or even the end of the year.

My thoughts entirely!

1 minute ago, The Kdogg said:

This is why you keep politics out of sport. Should never happen. 

War though is harder to keep out. 

On 29/04/2022 at 22:01, The Kdogg said:

This is why you keep politics out of sport. Should never happen. 

This.

European clubs have played a massive nine months season to qualify for Europe and are entitled to participate in European competitions that they may have qualified for.

Football scotland is a clickbait media outlet, same as Edinburgh Live, the way they make money is by creating false narratives, headlines etc so they get clicks. 

3 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Football scotland is a clickbait media outlet, same as Edinburgh Live, the way they make money is by creating false narratives, headlines etc so they get clicks. 

Yes these sites even advertise their writers jobs with this in the job description 

Just now, Sooks said:

Yes these sites even advertise their writers jobs with this in the job description 

Worded a bit differently obviously

WheatfieldWarrior

I don't understand why footballers are exempt for fighting. 

I thought all men of fighting age were called up and not allowed to leave Ukraine.  

10 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

I don't understand why footballers are exempt for fighting. 

I thought all men of fighting age were called up and not allowed to leave Ukraine.  

Yes

But Ukraine is also fighting a PR war and trying to show it's a modern, enlightened country. 

Sportspeople, musicians etc are being encouraged and allowed to compete and perform.

Every time a Ukrainian person performs it's good for the country and by doing so for the war.