Manchester City v Real Madrid (Champions League, tonight)

Morgan

9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

You're such an easy mark

I don't even know what that means?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Mikey1874

• smiler

• milky_26

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the general
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Some, yes (thousands of plastic / armchair fans maybe, I know some).  But to suggest 50% or 75% is absolute nonsense, although I suspect tongue in cheek.  

They were still getting over 30k when they had their worst ever team in the 3rd tier not that long ago (well seems not that long ago, but probably around 20 years ago).  And as I said, they could get over 50k in the 2nd tier in the Billy McNeil days when I lived there).   Always been one of the best supported teams in England, even through thin and thinner times. A bit like Hearts in some respects, over the years.  Until recently!

Even teams like West Ham now have much more floating fans now they are in a bigger stadium.

This looked a great game from the highlights, I usually don't bother with champions league but this one caught my attention, what a player benzema is eh? That penalty was just so cheeky 🤣 he looks like a man possessed this season, some fantastic play and great goals from City as well, will be an interesting second leg.

3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I guess all the big teams in England have tourist fans to a degree, especially Man Utd and Liverpool.  But speaking from my own experience of living down there, City always had a massive, long suffering and loyal fan base.  

Although I have little interest in English football or Champions League these days, I used to regularly go to Maine Road when City were in the old second division.  They still got massive crowds when they were playing the big games in the second tier then and could get over 50k when playing Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday or Chelsea (who were also pish back then).

So to suggest they only get big crowds now that they’re filthy rich is just wrong.  If anything, I’m actually surprised that they don’t have demand for a much bigger stadium these days but the tourists still prefer their neighbours and the other huge Lancashire club. 

They’re just ignorant mate, totally agree with all you’ve said.

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Backtracking like a champ. We all know you messed it up

:rolleyes2:

Are you suggesting Morgs still thought away goals count double.....😀

1 minute ago, smiler said:

Are you suggesting Morgs still thought away goals count double.....😀

Don’t you start!

🤧

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Don’t you start!

🤧

Sorry old bean, but the interactions have been very funny 👍🏻

Edited by smiler

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, the general said:

Even teams like West Ham now have much more floating fans now they are in a bigger stadium.

True but most "tourist" type fans only follow success.

I'm sure many of these Citeh fans were Leicester fans a couple of years ago. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, the general said:

Every team that experiences an upturn in fortune suddenly gets an influx of fans. Yes, they start out as plastics, and some wander away after a while. But the ones that stay, even when results turn sour, can become very real fans and develop deep connections to the club.

City got huge crowds for years for such a long-suffering team in the shadow of a massive juggernaut. Yes, there's plenty of touristy ones now, and it's success that comes straight from a checkbook, but I can't begrudge them that too much.

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

I see the BBC are saying this was everything great about football. I disagree there was not much good about a lot of the defending

To be honest, I think Man City v Real Madrid in the Champions League couldn’t highlight more everything that is shit with football today. 

59 minutes ago, smiler said:

Sorry old bean, but the interactions have been very funny 👍🏻

Yeah, they have.  I’m many things, old chap, but a liar isn’t one of them.  👍

That milky is a nippy wee blighter though.  :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yeah, they have.  I’m many things, old chap, but a liar isn’t one of them.  👍

That milky is a nippy wee blighter though.  :rolleyes:

:pleasing: