Jump to content

After Match Comments


Ked
 Share

Recommended Posts

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Ked said:

Absolute class from Neilson.

Growing into a fine manager

You going to give us a clue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TypoonJambo
2 minutes ago, Ked said:

Absolute class from Neilson.

Growing into a fine manager

Link?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Delighted Robbie Neilson praised his patched-up Hearts stars and insisted things were so bad he could only throw on goal hero Ellis Simms for 20 minutes. 

The Jambos travelled north without top stars like Craig Halkett, John Souttar, Stephen Kingsley, Andy Halliday, Ben Baningime and Michael Smith but still managed to extend their unbeaten run to nine games. 

The Scottish Cup finalists were also able to tighten their grip on third place as they moved 19 points ahead of their nearest rivals Dundee United.

United went ahead through a brilliant Dylan Levitt goal but Liam Boyce and Josh Ginnelly turned the game around before Ryan Edwards levelled for the home team.

That set the way for on-loan Simms to come off the bench and net the winner.

Neilson proudly said: “We have come to the team sitting fourth in the league and won even though we have seven of eight injuries.

“To be honest, Ben Woodburn was the only one of the subs who was properly fit. Ellis Simms has been carrying a knock so we knew we’d only get twenty minutes or so out of him.

 

Cammy Devlin isn’t ready to play but we put him on the bench anyway and we also had a couple of young kids who played on Thursday and will play again on Wednesday.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

been here before
9 minutes ago, Ked said:

Absolute class from Neilson.

Growing into a fine manager

 

Was this the interview he gave to BBC Scotand? We heard it in the car on the way back about what it means to play for Hearts, the expectation to win, the fans paying their hard end cash deserving it etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought Police

I’m assuming it’s the quote about how winning is expected at Hearts and they need to perform for the paying fans?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You going to give us a clue?

Sorry.

After game on radio he was asked about taking it easy in the run up to the cup game.

He answered that Hearts supporters spend their hard earned cash and the couple if thousand who were there today and the Hearts supporters expect Hearts to win every game and no we wouldn't be taking it easy

BBC  sportsound.

 

 

That along with in a lot of recent games little tweaks at half time just makes me think as stated growing into a fine manager.

 

I was very critical of him and happy to have that thrown square in my daft auld pus.

😁

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, been here before said:

 

Was this the interview he gave to BBC Scotand? We heard it in the car on the way back about what it means to play for Hearts, the expectation to win, the fans paying their hard end cash deserving it etc?

Yes it was buddy.

Great eh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Ked said:

Sorry.

After game on radio he was asked about taking it easy in the run up to the cup game.

He answered that Hearts supporters spend their hard earned cash and the couple if thousand who were there today and the Hearts supporters expect Hearts to win every game and no we wouldn't be taking it easy

BBC  sportsound.

 

 

That along with in a lot of recent games little tweaks at half time just makes me think as stated growing into a fine manager.

 

I was very critical of him and happy to have that thrown square in my daft auld pus.

😁

 

 

 

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EH11 2NL

Agreed, lift the cup and he's right up there in terms of Hearts management. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neverforgetfiveone
15 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Love you big Rob x

Sir Robert of Gorgie to you 😂🇱🇻🇱🇻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also fun to hear Neilson talk about all the injuries and niggles the players have at this stage of the season.

 

While some on the match thread demand subs come on, players to get hooked because they're not performing. With absolutely no clue as to what is actually going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

leginten
14 minutes ago, Ked said:

Sorry.

After game on radio he was asked about taking it easy in the run up to the cup game.

He answered that Hearts supporters spend their hard earned cash and the couple if thousand who were there today and the Hearts supporters expect Hearts to win every game and no we wouldn't be taking it easy

BBC  sportsound.

 

 

That along with in a lot of recent games little tweaks at half time just makes me think as stated growing into a fine manager.

 

I was very critical of him and happy to have that thrown square in my daft auld pus.

😁

 

 

 


Compare and contrast with his shrug of the shoulders and “the league was won” comment after the abject 2-0 derby defeat in front of 3,800 Hearts fans at Easter Road at the end of the first Championship season.

 

He wouldn’t come out with anything like that now. He knows that big clubs play to win all the time, and he wants us to have that mindset. No complacency, no let-up. He’s a much better manager now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

davemclaren
1 minute ago, leginten said:


Compare and contrast with his shrug of the shoulders and “the league was won” comment after the abject 2-0 derby defeat in front of 3,800 Hearts fans at Easter Road at the end of the first Championship season.

 

He wouldn’t come out with anything like that now. He knows that big clubs play to win all the time, and he wants us to have that mindset. No complacency, no let-up. He’s a much better manager now.

He certainly seems to be reading the room better, as they say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, leginten said:


Compare and contrast with his shrug of the shoulders and “the league was won” comment after the abject 2-0 derby defeat in front of 3,800 Hearts fans at Easter Road at the end of the first Championship season.

 

He wouldn’t come out with anything like that now. He knows that big clubs play to win all the time, and he wants us to have that mindset. No complacency, no let-up. He’s a much better manager now.

That's one of the reasons I posted this thread.

Neilson is still relatively young for a manager and improving.

His record already is good.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hoof.hearted

Dreading the next time we have a few bad results & all the half wits want him out again. Will they still want Callum Davidson  Tommy Wright, Steven Robinson, Derek McInnes etc? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, hoof.hearted said:

Dreading the next time we have a few bad results & all the half wits want him out again. Will they still want Callum Davidson  Tommy Wright, Steven Robinson, Derek McInnes etc? 

Jack Ross?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4marsbars
1 hour ago, EH11 2NL said:

Agreed, lift the cup and he's right up there in terms of Hearts management. 

 

Nope.

 

He's already up there, cup or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

soonbe110
28 minutes ago, hoof.hearted said:

Dreading the next time we have a few bad results & all the half wits want him out again. Will they still want Callum Davidson  Tommy Wright, Steven Robinson, Derek McInnes etc? 

Almost certainly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions
1 hour ago, Thought Police said:

I’m assuming it’s the quote about how winning is expected at Hearts and they need to perform for the paying fans?

Like every  clubs  expectations?? 

Edited by maroonlegions
Link to comment
Share on other sites

soonbe110
1 hour ago, EH11 2NL said:

Agreed, lift the cup and he's right up there in terms of Hearts management. 

He is already at the summit.  Best win %age of any Hearts manager who has been in charge for more than 50 games (excluding war period games) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maroonlegions

Low post counters all over this thread.

 

Hurting??

 

Hope so.

 

FTH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Sims or any other key players are carrying knocks, I'd rather they were rested for the final.  Play young Kirk and other fringe youngsters in the league.

 

I want our best 11, fit and ready to the beat the Huns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TypoonJambo
1 minute ago, Yoda said:

If Sims or any other key players are carrying knocks, I'd rather they were rested for the final.  Play young Kirk and other fringe youngsters in the league.

 

I want our best 11, fit and ready to the beat the Huns.

Think Kirk may have been rested for youth Cup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

tian447

Robbie Neilson is made to be the Hearts manager. He's been there, and done it himself, and knows exactly what it means to pull on the maroon jersey.

 

The clowns who wanted him out will still find something to moan about him for, but he's growing into the role more and more each day.  When you think about what we've been through over the past couple of decades, having a stable, sensible Hearts man in charge is an absolute blessing. 

 

Win the cup or not, he is the right man for the job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Think Kirk may have been rested for youth Cup. 

Cheers.  A double over them would be nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gmcjambo

Robbie seems to have found his mojo in recent weeks and I’ve thought his comments have been spot on,  it’s obviously having a great impact in the team.    Strange comment in the article suggesting we’ve tightened out grip on 3rd place when no one else can catch us though! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim Panzee
3 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

 

Nope.

 

He's already up there, cup or not.

100% agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ulysses
5 hours ago, Ked said:

Sorry.

After game on radio he was asked about taking it easy in the run up to the cup game.

He answered that Hearts supporters spend their hard earned cash and the couple if thousand who were there today and the Hearts supporters expect Hearts to win every game and no we wouldn't be taking it easy

BBC  sportsound.

 

 

That along with in a lot of recent games little tweaks at half time just makes me think as stated growing into a fine manager.

 

I was very critical of him and happy to have that thrown square in my daft auld pus.

😁

 

 

 

 

Not gonna lie, I had my worries about Robbie Neilson coming back, but on reflection I think he has it sussed. :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deevers
13 hours ago, hoof.hearted said:

Dreading the next time we have a few bad results & all the half wits want him out again. Will they still want Callum Davidson  Tommy Wright, Steven Robinson, Derek McInnes etc? 

No doubt about that, going by some of the stuff that on this site when we have a dip in form. We lost an early goal yesterday and the pant wetting and slagging off players went into overdrive from some. 
 

At this time Robbie is head and shoulders above every other manager in this league - including the two at the Old Firm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ex member of the SaS
14 hours ago, Ked said:

Sorry.

After game on radio he was asked about taking it easy in the run up to the cup game.

He answered that Hearts supporters spend their hard earned cash and the couple if thousand who were there today and the Hearts supporters expect Hearts to win every game and no we wouldn't be taking it easy

BBC  sportsound.

 

 

That along with in a lot of recent games little tweaks at half time just makes me think as stated growing into a fine manager.

 

I was very critical of him and happy to have that thrown square in my daft auld pus.

😁

 

 

 

Me too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carl Fredrickson

Robbie took over as manager on both occasions under difficult circumstances. His achievements in getting us promoted twice at the first attempt should never be under-estimated.

First time due to us coming out of admin and despite the feel good factor, the whole club required to be rebuilt. This was his first managerial appointment and he had the hobos and sevco in the league too. 

The second time was during probably the hardest circumstances for all clubs though we seemed to be picked on when we were told to stop pre-season training due to the behaviour of other clubs players. The players had to train in bubbles and play in empty stadiums that would take some getting used to.

 

We got promoted twice with games to spare. In his first spell we finished third after promotion and left us while we were second (other teams had games in hand). This year finishing third at a canter is an incredible achievement for a newly promoted team. 

 

We have had some shocking cup results under his management (this has happened in my lifetime under lots of managers) but his consistency of results in the league cannot be argued with. 

 

I remember last season reading an interview with Robbie when he spoke of his preferred formations and style of play and this season he has had the players to at least try and fulfil this. 

 

Watching Hearts play this season has been delightful at times and the nearest to the Burley days that we have had for some time. 

 

I appreciate Robbie and all the work he and his staff are doing. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

 

Not gonna lie, I had my worries about Robbie Neilson coming back, but on reflection I think he has it sussed. :thumbsup:

 

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Me too.

Good times 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to worry about his attitude both on and off the pitch. He was very much a hold what you’ve got manager but I think a lot of that stemmed from Levein and he was very flippant in his interviews. All of that has changed, yesterday alone shows what he’s all about, he wants and believes we can win every game and off the park he’s now turning into a very savvy manager. 
 

He’s not the only one though there’s a huge change throughout the club, we feel like a club who’s desire to win is the be all and end all, not like Ann’s early reign where we were a cuddly wee club who’s main focus was nice food at hospitality. 
 

For me 3 things fuelled this, 1) The departure of Levein he had far too much input and when Ann had too let him go the penny dropped about the on field results feeding the whole club. 2) The introduction of proper ambitious football people who don’t care too much for a nice sandwich in the lounge and 3) The demotion, the club rightly so took that personally and it’s a constant two finger salute to them all every time we win a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolute Scenes

I have never doubted neilson in his first and second spells. Every manager has had a shocking result along the line and the calls for him to go after the Brora result show why our fans should never ever be given decisions to make on a managers job. Hearts man through and through and his ability as a manager have been made as clear as day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

martoon

I was very critical of RN last season but always with the caveat that I'd be chuffed if he proved me wrong.

 

He has.

 

The football is entertaining now, very attack minded and we're getting great results. I think that's 10 games without defeat now over both competitions.

 

The slow starts are still a kink that needs ironed out but these really are good times; with the possibility of becoming great times.

 

Well done, Robbie.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jambo in Bathgate
8 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I have never doubted neilson in his first and second spells. Every manager has had a shocking result along the line and the calls for him to go after the Brora result show why our fans should never ever be given decisions to make on a managers job. Hearts man through and through and his ability as a manager have been made as clear as day. 

In the championship we had to put together a team on a shoestring. Therefore money was spent wisely with a view to promotion. We did what was necessary. Unfortunately we did not play well at Brora some of those we brought in on loan did nothing that evening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Craig Herbertson

"If you play for Hearts you're expected to win"

                                                                                     Neilson        😀

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

boag1874
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

I used to worry about his attitude both on and off the pitch. He was very much a hold what you’ve got manager but I think a lot of that stemmed from Levein and he was very flippant in his interviews. All of that has changed, yesterday alone shows what he’s all about, he wants and believes we can win every game and off the park he’s now turning into a very savvy manager. 
 

He’s not the only one though there’s a huge change throughout the club, we feel like a club who’s desire to win is the be all and end all, not like Ann’s early reign where we were a cuddly wee club who’s main focus was nice food at hospitality. 
 

For me 3 things fuelled this, 1) The departure of Levein he had far too much input and when Ann had too let him go the penny dropped about the on field results feeding the whole club. 2) The introduction of proper ambitious football people who don’t care too much for a nice sandwich in the lounge and 3) The demotion, the club rightly so took that personally and it’s a constant two finger salute to them all every time we win a game.

Great points particularly regarding demotion kicking us up the arse but it's also worth pointing out that while initially the major investment in the clubs infrastructure ie hospitality, corporate, non-matchday etc did sacrifice the focus on the "football department" for a few seasons, it's now paying off big time in terms of generating funds to help us grow the club as a whole. It's really exciting times on & off the pitch for Hearts right now

Edited by boag1874
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rogue Daddy

Easily Manager of the Year in my opinion. The uglies and their million £ players are expected to clean up season on season... but to come up from the Championship and seal 3rd BEFORE the split - not forgetting the Cup Final -  is a fantastic achievement. He's definitely over-achieved in my book (from what I was expecting), and I still think he's got more to come. Well done Robbie, you deserve all the praise coming your way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sirwalter
18 hours ago, leginten said:


Compare and contrast with his shrug of the shoulders and “the league was won” comment after the abject 2-0 derby defeat in front of 3,800 Hearts fans at Easter Road at the end of the first Championship season.

 

He wouldn’t come out with anything like that now. He knows that big clubs play to win all the time, and he wants us to have that mindset. No complacency, no let-up. He’s a much better manager now.

Actually he very well might. What a manager chooses to say after a loss and after a win tend to differ. Context is everything. Also on the earlier occasion Hearts' season was over: not this time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PapaShango

Neilson gets what Hearts are all about, make no mistake of that. Having been at the club as a player and now a manger he knows what winning a cup and doing well means to the fans. He also understands the FOH impact as well and what it means having the fans pump money into the club. He has done some job turning it round from the Brora shambles last year. I wanted him gone after that but delighted that he has proven me wrong big time. The turn around in our fortunes is some going and no one can deny what a great job he's done. Lifting the cup next month would surely be the icing on the cake for the likes of Robbie, Ann Budge, the FOH and every single fan who has went through a rollercoaster 10 years since we last did it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sirwalter
4 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Neilson gets what Hearts are all about, make no mistake of that. Having been at the club as a player and now a manger he knows what winning a cup and doing well means to the fans. He also understands the FOH impact as well and what it means having the fans pump money into the club. He has done some job turning it round from the Brora shambles last year. I wanted him gone after that but delighted that he has proven me wrong big time. The turn around in our fortunes is some going and no one can deny what a great job he's done. Lifting the cup next month would surely be the icing on the cake for the likes of Robbie, Ann Budge, the FOH and every single fan who has went through a rollercoaster 10 years since we last did it. 

For some that cake might be considered a humble pie - although assuredly one to be relished!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PapaShango
39 minutes ago, sirwalter said:

For some that cake might be considered a humble pie - although assuredly one to be relished!

Me included! I haven't looked forward to a cup final like this since 1998. No idea why but something tells me this group of players will leave everything out on the park on the 21st. Whether that is good enough or not remains to be seen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I have never doubted neilson in his first and second spells. Every manager has had a shocking result along the line and the calls for him to go after the Brora result show why our fans should never ever be given decisions to make on a managers job. Hearts man through and through and his ability as a manager have been made as clear as day. 


To be fair, most boards would have sacked him after the Brora result (or the complete failure to get a reaction from the players a few days later at home to QOTS) and I don’t know any fans that didn’t want him gone (not even sure there were any on here).   Likewise most boards would have sacked Fergie at Man Utd before he turned the corner.  
 

Managers generally don’t get enough time, although sometimes (like Levein) they get too long.  Looks like our board have got it right this time thankfully.  Can he take us to another level though?  Can anyone?  And what would that level be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:


To be fair, most boards would have sacked him after the Brora result (or the complete failure to get a reaction from the players a few days later at home to QOTS) and I don’t know any fans that didn’t want him gone (not even sure there were any on here).   Likewise most boards would have sacked Fergie at Man Utd before he turned the corner.  
 

Managers generally don’t get enough time, although sometimes (like Levein) they get too long.  Looks like our board have got it right this time thankfully.  Can he take us to another level though?  Can anyone?  And what would that level be?

The next level for us is to consistently take 3rd place, get European football and start to close the gap on the uglies.

 

Having the majority of our key players tied down and a European windfall coming our way should help us to consolidate our position as 3rd best, as we are in a position to strengthen our team rather than see it weakened by the loss of several key players, which is often what happens when a team has a good season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...