• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dobmisterdobster

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Vlad Magic

5 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy were great but Elite was absolutely amazing.

Never played Elite.  ☹️

7 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Elite was groundbreaking.

I got part 2 for the Amiga but there was loads of bugs in it.

I can't remember Elite on the Spectrum but a mate had it on the Acorn Electron which was the first/definitive version?

We used to go round to his house to play Brian Clough's Football Fortunes on it as well. Heady days.

Had the 128k+2 that came with the light gun and Operation Wolf, still sat in my folks' attic with at least a 100 games, will need to dig it out and see if I can get it working

fav game was quite easily Chuckie Egg 

5 hours ago, Costanza said:

I can't remember Elite on the Spectrum but a mate had it on the Acorn Electron which was the first/definitive version?

We used to go round to his house to play Brian Clough's Football Fortunes on it as well. Heady days.

Part computer game, part board game :lol:

I loved it.

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Part computer game, part board game :lol:

I loved it.

It was so addictive. Certainly better than watching one person playing Football Manager!

Thinking of football games on the Spectrum, there was Match Day 2 and seem to remember if you timed it correctly,  a chip at the edge of the box would hit the bar, then bounce off the keepers back and go in.

Was made by Ocean who also did classics like the Batman and Robocop tie ins, Rainbow islands and the Cheetah joystick ruiner, Daley Thompsons decathlon.

On 23/04/2022 at 17:32, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Or sell and cruise the world to Birmingham 😳BBC apple there too..man I am a hoarder 😔

I’ve still got an acorn atom at my folks, remember adding ram chips direct on the board to take it up to 12 k RAM. 

got it from the place in Stockbridge opposite accies, anyone mind the shops name?

Judge Fudge

Skool daze,Jet Pac, Spy Hunter and  Head Over Heels were fantastic games for the time. Remember editing all the players and teams on football manager. Robbo for Keegan etc.

The Dragon Reborn
4 hours ago, iantjambo said:

ZX81 was my first computer. The Spectrum was amazing though. Spy Hunter was the first game I ever played on it.

50 minutes ago, Judge Fudge said:

Skool daze,Jet Pac, Spy Hunter and  Head Over Heels were fantastic games for the time. Remember editing all the players and teams on football manager. Robbo for Keegan etc.

Spy Hunter! What a game. Absolutely impossible to transition into the wee boat without crashing though 🤬

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Match point and Match of the day. :thumbsup:

Christ, I've been trying to remember the tennis game I had for ages and that's it! 😁

25 minutes ago, The Dragon Reborn said:

Spy Hunter! What a game. Absolutely impossible to transition into the wee boat without crashing though 🤬

Oil, smoke or missiles 🤣

29 minutes ago, The Dragon Reborn said:

That was rage inducing :lol:

3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Oil, smoke or missiles 🤣

Oil slick in front of a motorbike was always a laugh :rofl:

4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Trans Am ?

Anybody remember that little beauty?

:scenes:Can even hear the beeps in my head right now. Loved Trans Am. Soooo basic but soooo good!

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Costanza said:

It was so addictive. Certainly better than watching one person playing Football Manager!

Thinking of football games on the Spectrum, there was Match Day 2 and seem to remember if you timed it correctly,  a chip at the edge of the box would hit the bar, then bounce off the keepers back and go in.

Was made by Ocean who also did classics like the Batman and Robocop tie ins, Rainbow islands and the Cheetah joystick ruiner, Daley Thompsons decathlon.

Match Day II, I remember sitting there thinking to myself "I just can't see how this could possibly be more realistic" 😆

I also mind being blown away when I got my +2, loaded up MDII and the music was on another level.

I loved Ocean games, they just seemed to be a more reliable bet

17 hours ago, iantjambo said:

ZX81 was my first computer. The Spectrum was amazing though. Spy Hunter was the first game I ever played on it.

And mine. Mind the games with high res graphics  :laugh2:

dobmisterdobster
9 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Double Dragon anyone?

Now that was a classic!!!

Renegade was the predecessor to Double Dragon. One of the best beat-em-ups on the Spectrum.

5 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Renegade was the predecessor to Double Dragon. One of the best beat-em-ups on the Spectrum.

It was. 

Was there also “Target Renegade” or is it the same game?

Just now, Vlad Magic said:

It was. 

Was there also “Target Renegade” or is it the same game?

Target Renegade was the sequel to Renegade I thought.

The amount of henchmen (and women) I killed with a knee to the crotch was frankly inhumane.

20 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Trans Am ?

Anybody remember that little beauty?

Absolute classic. As were most of the Ultimate games; Atic Atac, Jetpac, Sabre Wulf and the frankly revolutionary Knight Lore.

I always remember that me and a few mates ended up wrecking 2 buttons on the keyboard play Daley Thompson decathlon. We would select to keys next to each other and use a golf ball, quickly rolling it left and right. Worked a treat until O and the P keys were wrecked.

Lord Montpelier
3 hours ago, Costanza said:

Target Renegade was the sequel to Renegade I thought.

The amount of henchmen (and women) I killed with a knee to the crotch was frankly inhumane.

Renegade and Target Renegade were classics of their time. 

Captain Slog
5 hours ago, Cade said:

Barbarian+cover+art.jpg

Yes, that is Wolf from Gladiators on the box art.

And Page 3 girl Maria Whittaker.

:yas:

There was a poster too I recall, cant recall if it was in the box or out a magazine like crash.

See the source image

On 25/04/2022 at 01:45, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

100% I spent months playing Elite. What a game that was.

Kalamazoo Jambo
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

100% I spent months playing Elite. What a game that was.

I lost an entire summer to that game.

On 25/04/2022 at 14:13, Vlad Magic said:

Beach Head

What a game on the Spectrum.

bloody awesome game. Loved it.

another few games I played a lot were

Paperboy, Ant Attack, Knight Lore.

also I mind buying Eastenders. Thee worst game in history 🤣🤣🤣

Captain Slog

The quill, i originally played a text only game called the boggit - then there was the quill, where you could write your own adventure games.

Spectrum is the reason i found my wife, i eventually played an online text only game called Achaea, met her in twenty years o plying it online, deepest game in existence.

On 23/04/2022 at 14:09, frankblack said:

The Speccy 48k started me off on what turned out to be a career in computing.  Initially playing the games until I got curious and started to learn to program.

Still have a Speccy +3 in my atic (the one with the 3" disc drive).  I moved from Speccys to Amigas, which should have been the big thing instead of PCs but Commodore messed things up - unreliable hardware and a failure to grasp the opportunity.

I had an Amiga 1200, loved it but it's Xerox who should have been the big thing. Windows, icons, menus, pointers were all invented by Xerox.

"Microsoft founder Bill Gates has said that the Xerox graphical interface influenced both Microsoft and Apple. Steve Jobs of Apple said that “Xerox could have owned the entire computer industry, could have been the IBM of the nineties, could have been the Microsoft of the nineties."[

2 hours ago, graygo said:

I had an Amiga 1200, loved it but it's Xerox who should have been the big thing. Windows, icons, menus, pointers were all invented by Xerox.

"Microsoft founder Bill Gates has said that the Xerox graphical interface influenced both Microsoft and Apple. Steve Jobs of Apple said that “Xerox could have owned the entire computer industry, could have been the IBM of the nineties, could have been the Microsoft of the nineties."[

Yes, they had that and failed to get it trademarked to protect their IP.  Apple swept in and nicked it.

However, they didn't actually build a machine at a standard/price point to ever make a serious impact on the home or business markets.

IBM made a similar error in allowing Microsoft to enter the PC market with MS DOS.  They didn't protect their own product as they failed to see the gap they created for Microsoft.

So, potentially Apple and Microsoft could have been stifled at their beginning had Xerox and IBM protected and invested in their products.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Yes, they had that and failed to get it trademarked to protect their IP.  Apple swept in and nicked it.

However, they didn't actually build a machine at a standard/price point to ever make a serious impact on the home or business markets.

IBM made a similar error in allowing Microsoft to enter the PC market with MS DOS.  They didn't protect their own product as they failed to see the gap they created for Microsoft.

So, potentially Apple and Microsoft could have been stifled at their beginning had Xerox and IBM protected and invested in their products.

I worked with Xerox years ago and the apathy shown by the company around things like that was a big talking point. Your right about not producing something at a price ordinary people could afford even though they had what we would recognise as a PC 10 years before Apple or IBM. Our office actually had a Xerox computer back in the 80's that was way ahead of anything I'd seen before.

They also let Hewlett Packard corner the market in laser printers despite actually inventing them.

21 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It doesn't matter who did it first. It matters who does it best. 

Well that's generally going to be who did it last is it not?

53 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It doesn't matter who did it first. It matters who does it best. 

Not if those companies had protected their intellectual property then Microsoft, Apple etc would not have become the big players.

Unknown user
8 hours ago, frankblack said:

I've read that when Microsoft were given the contract to write DOS they were paid per line of code, so it was in their best interests to be unwieldy and as large as possible. Don't know if it's true though.

dobmisterdobster
27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not if those companies had protected their intellectual property then Microsoft, Apple etc would not have become the big players.

I don't know if you can patent a graphical user interface or a mouse.