Traffic this afternoon

132goals1958

132goals1958

Went for a short 8 mile round trip. Took me 3 hours. Apparently an incident on the bypass which caused chaos . 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Went for a short 8 mile round trip. Took me 3 hours. Apparently an incident on the bypass which caused chaos . 

It was a trailer from a lorry which caught fire.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

ArcticJambo

At ~6pm yesterday evening it took me 45 mins from the junction of the M8/M9 to Redford Barracks!  After 8hrs on the road it was the last thing I needed. Fortunately the A92 smash had cleared up by the time I passed just before.

Edited by ArcticJambo

It was a trailer virtually onto the off slip westbound at Calder junction.  If it had been taken about 30 yards onwards,  they could probably have opened the bypass much sooner after the fire.

132goals1958
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It was a trailer from a lorry which caught fire.

Heard the traffic alert on the radio about something no the A720 but never thought to connect the two.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Heard the traffic alert on the radio about something no the A720 but never thought to connect the two.

Passed over the bypass at about 10.45 and it looked quite bad but fortunately according to reports no one was injured.

Traffic today all over the west and south of the city has been incredible due to the bypass closure. It didn't seem to matter what route you took, there were just queues of traffic at a virtual standstill all over the place.

I went home utterly raging today after spending nearly two hours trying to get my lad to his music lesson. 

I ended up giving up and going home.  Decided to sell the car as it just isn’t worth the stress and hassle. Could have cycled with him to the lesson in half an hour. I’ll spend the money from the car on two really good e bikes for myself and the wife. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Carl Weathers

Just back from taking my wife to the airport. We left at around 5.45pm and the traffic was terrible on the bypass from Loanhead heading towards the airport. We managed to get off the bypass but all of the surrounding roads were gubbed as well. 

The bypass was still a shambles heading towards the airport around 7.30pm.

Punks No Deid

I left Loanhead for Livi, went Penicuik to Carnwath n then back along the Lang Whang - Only took me 95 mins 

5 minutes ago, Punks No Deid said:

I left Loanhead for Livi, went Penicuik to Carnwath n then back along the Lang Whang - Only took me 95 mins 

You would have avoided the chaos. 

Malinga the Swinga

In almost any other country, it would have been moved within an hour or so.

Our heroic Emergency services are advising that they can't approach trailer because it's still too dangerous, some 9 hours after the incident occurred.

Pathetic display from these people with no regard for either the motorists or those who live in the area.

The services really need to take a good look at themselves and get a grip.

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Our heroic Emergency services are advising that they can't approach trailer because it's still too dangerous, some 9 hours after the incident occurred.

Pathetic display from these people with no regard for either the motorists or those who live in the area.

This how the feck does it take all day ? 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

So you know the load the trailer was carrying? 

maroondevo52

Usually takes me 20 minutes to get to Bankhead to start my shift, took 3 hours this afternoon.

Went through to Glasgow to start my run, back at 7.30pm the queue from Bankhead was still all the way back to the Sheriff Hall, I take it they were re-surfacing the road.

Watched a few clowns going the wrong way up the slip roads.

Took my stepson to his computer ciding class in Morningside and took me 2 hours to get from Morningside to kirknewton.

Glad I don't live in Edinburgh anymore. I know today was exceptionally bad but there's always roadworks everywhere adding to journey times

I was waiting to get a bus fron Haymarket.   Took twice as long to get home and that was with me getting off and walking.

Later I had to drive my brother home across town.  Leaving at 7.30 Queensferry Road was still mental.  Despite taking some rat runs it still added half an hour to my normal time.

SectionDJambo

I set off from Newtongrange, to take my brother to the Western General, At noon. We got to the hospital at 3.15pm. It was the worst I've, personally, ever experienced on the bypass. When we were coming back, about an hour later, the traffic heading west was still being diverted off the bypass at Calder. The traffic was almost stationery all the way back to Sheriffhall, and probably beyond.

Incidents and accidents happen, but the length of time it took to even open up one lane to let people through after the fire was out wasn't a good look for the emergency services. Instead, we were left to work out a route for ourselves. Police controlled traffic movement beyond the diversion would have surely helped, but they probably don't have the numbers to have provided this. Judging by the tailback to Sheriffhall, vehicles were still being allowed to join the bypass, even though the Police must have known it would be a car park for hours. Certainly, radio alerts would have been made, but if you weren't listening to the radio and joined the bypass unaware, you were stuck.

It showed up the poor design and complete underestimation of future traffic levels by the bypass planners and builders. It hasn't helped that businesses and retail parks have been built next to it, attracting extra traffic. A cheap job with results like yesterday.

13 hours ago, 151 said:

Mrs got stuck in it, left Uni at 1330 got back home to Dundee at 1945. 

615 years?

59 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Thank **** I don't have to deal with that very often. The bypass is a prick. 

100% this. Not a road I hate more anywhere. Constant tailbacks with no apparent reason. 😡

132goals1958
36 minutes ago, Dazo said:

100% this. Not a road I hate more anywhere. Constant tailbacks with no apparent reason. 😡

Quite handy if you have a newspaper 📰 on you.