100 years ago today, the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial was unveiled at Haymarket

Factuer Moi

The new monstrosity  being built in the coal yard has taken all the sun away from the memorial and made it into a wind tunnel . There were calls for thermals from some of the participants yesterday. We managed to tie up the wreaths yesterday but thankfully by the time November comes around the improvements applied for will be in place.

100yearsofMemorialservice.jpg

Factuer Moi
29 minutes ago, brownkg said:

The new monstrosity  being built in the coal yard has taken all the sun away from the memorial and made it into a wind tunnel . There were calls for thermals from some of the participants yesterday. We managed to tie up the wreaths yesterday but thankfully by the time November comes around the improvements applied for will be in place.

100yearsofMemorialservice.jpg

Not good

Incidentally the reason for choosing the 9th April was due to it being the anniversary of the battle of Arras(9/4/17).

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, brownkg said:

Incidentally the reason for choosing the 9th April was due to it being the anniversary of the battle of Arras(9/4/17).

Who narrated the video?

16 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Who narrated the video?

No idea but it may be the guy from "a war of two halves" ask a mutual friend who works in the museum he will know.

davemclaren
27 minutes ago, brownkg said:

No idea but it may be the guy from "a war of two halves" ask a mutual friend who works in the museum he will know.

👍

2 hours ago, Factuer Moi said:

Having watched the video my only beef would be that the ONLY service held at Tynecastle was the 2009 one. from 2010 they were held at Haymarket.
After the 2009 service a number of people came and commented to me that it should always be held at Tynecastle because everyone could hear and were dry.
The whole point of the memorial being at the busiest junction in Edinburgh was so many people would see it and hopefully reflect and that is why the services HAD to be held as close to the spot where the memorial was. I mean what is a half an hour of discomfort compared to what the people we are remembering went through? If they were "lucky" and survived they suffered 4 years of hell on earth'
I am glad we insisted on the services being held at Haymarket it was, and still is the correct and proper thing to do at the right place also. I am also glad the club have once again taken over the service it is an integral part of who we are and the planned landscaping will give the memorial some more gravitas as well as allowing the ability to secure the wreaths properly.