Electric Car home charger install

SecN

Has anyone had a charging point installed at home for an electric vehicle?

Any recommendations on what brand or installer to consider?

I am aware that most of the government grants ceased in March this year. 

I got one put in around 7 years ago....when luckily I got a 100% grant..!

Get in touch with https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/

They were great to deal with, I got a Rolec unit installed by a company in Stirling....Jorro

Installing guys done a good job, very neat [im a spark by trade...]

Cost £595 and I managed to claim all of it back, but those days are gone now....you may get a set sum back - £300 or so..?

The units have came on since I got mine installed obviously.....through apps etc, mine is just a dumb charger

Zappi and wallbox are mentioned a lot on the forums...get in touch with EST and see what they say...

Check with your energy provider, they may well have both an EV tariff and deals on the supply and fit of the charger

I called an edinburgh installer this week. He reckons that if the fuse box/consumer unit and cabling needs upgraded that a 7KwH charger from their preferred brand and install is likely to be around £1400. 

He mentioned Zappi and said that they were stung with quality issues and will not touch them now. 

I was gonnae pay £500 for one, but they said you can't put a cable across a pavement. I'd have put it up over my hedge and down to m car. My hedge is 12 fit high so it would have kept it out the road. Or put down a heavy metal plate. :cheese:

Are all these boxes doing the same thing then or is there benefits to getting a particular brand. 

https://hypervolt.co.uk is what has been recommended. 

Does anyone ITK know if the grants can still be achieved even although we are a week or two passed the end of March?

Unfortunately both the OLEV (£350) and the extra Scottish grant (£250) have ended.

Edited by Max Power

6 minutes ago, SecN said:

Are all these boxes doing the same thing then or is there benefits to getting a particular brand. 

https://hypervolt.co.uk is what has been recommended. 

Does anyone ITK know if the grants can still be achieved even although we are a week or two passed the end of March?

Grants are pretty much done. UK grant finished at end of March. The EST grant has to be approved before installation (Scottish grant) but when I went to apply mid March they'd already run out of funds till end of March 

Got mine installed yesterday. Paid 1100 all in which I didn't think was too bad. Just got to wait a month for the car to be delivered now!! 

8 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

Got mine installed yesterday. Paid 1100 all in which I didn't think was too bad. Just got to wait a month for the car to be delivered now!! 

What brand and installer did you use?

My car is ETA July. Am I too early to be thinking about this?

28 minutes ago, SecN said:

What brand and installer did you use?

My car is ETA July. Am I too early to be thinking about this?

I used these guys. Local branch in Haddington. 

https://www.lemacpower.com/buy-now.shtml

Filled out the form, they arrived to assess my electric setup within a couple of days.  Some companies want you to take loads of photos of the setup but I couldn't be bothered with that to be honest! 

They contacted the electric authority, which took a couple of weeks and then they arranged my install within a week.  Absolute piece of cake. 

Not sure about whether different brands make a huge difference but they confirmed my model was compatible and its a 7kW unit.  Charging point is controlled via an app (which locks the charger and prevents others from using it). 

I wanted to get it done early as I thought demand would be rising due to petrol prices. Glad it's out the way and now the only thing I need to do is wait on the car. I don't think its too early if your car is coming in July hopefully... 

Brand they used is below. 

https://wallbox.com/en_uk/uk-pulsar-plus-type-2-5m-7-4kw-single-phase-installation-included

Edited by Aaron78

maroongoals

i got three eye watering prices, then got told about everwarm, they supplied and installed it for around 750. its a good unit too

I shouldn't be long until there's plenty of charging stations up and down the streets. A couple of years or 5.

Harry Potter
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I shouldn't be long until there's plenty of charging stations up and down the streets. A couple of years or 5.

One at the leisure centre 200 yards from me and one at the library 2 mins away..

Doubt i will get one though, initial cost a joke. could rent i suppose.

Batteries replaced every 3 years.

44 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

That's really not the case anymore. 

Average battery life is around 10 years nowadays with improvements continually being made. 

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

One at the leisure centre 200 yards from me and one at the library 2 mins away..

Doubt i will get one though, initial cost a joke. could rent i suppose.

8 years for the battery. And the car will hold is value longer. 

• 1 month later...

Any other local installers that are worth a shout?  I plan to look at getting a couple of quotes organised shortly. 

Hugh Phamism

I can recommend Voltix in Dunfermline. I got a 'Wallbox' unit installed last year and Voltix were excellent all throughout the process. 

I did have to get my main fuse upgraded to 100A, but SPN did this free. My installation was about GBP385, and the 7KW box itself was GBP589. I was lucky to get both the OLEV and EST grants, so the full installation only cost me about GBP300.

Be prepared for a lot of form filling and also a long wait for surveys, etc.

hughesie27

I think Tesla say that their batteries will be at least 70% efficient after 8 years.

10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Whats the longterm plan for folk who don't have a driveway?

Last time I was down south with work (Brentford) I noticed quite a few on street chargers with parking spaces dedicated to EV's

ev.JPG

hughesie27
18 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Last time I was down south with work (Brentford) I noticed quite a few on street chargers with parking spaces dedicated to EV's

ev.JPG

Right in shopping car parks etc but what about residential areas? 

56 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I guess charging points at their parking spaces or garage and at their work place parking.

For those who don't have a drive or any of the above, probably rapid charging when out and about or the on street charging from lamp posts and on street charging points.

hughesie27
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I guess charging points at their parking spaces or garage and at their work place parking.

For those who don't have a drive or any of the above, probably rapid charging when out and about or the on street charging from lamp posts and on street charging points.

I did think lampposts might get something added but would probably require completely new lampposts. Would need to avoid cables being trailed along pavements too.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

I think Tesla say that their batteries will be at least 70% efficient after 8 years.

I saw a program about electric cars a few months ago and for those people with houses but no driveway, i.e. on street parking there was a trial where a small channel had been cut in the pavement to allow for a cable to be pushed into it so it was not a trip hazard. Yes this required being able to park almost outside your house but it is a start

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I did think lampposts might get something added but would probably require completely new lampposts. Would need to avoid cables being trailed along pavements too.

There are streets in London where lampposts have plugs for electric cars.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Right in shopping car parks etc but what about residential areas? 

The picture I posted was from a residential street

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I’m sure I seen an article a while back about retrofitting lampposts with coin operated units.  Obviously not ideal but, from a local authority perspective it is their cheapest option and, of course you won’t have a dedicated (your own) lamppost and may have to park wherever you can.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Invest in extension cable companies, now. 

:profit:

you better hope that they dont quickly introduce wireless car charging