Taylor Hawkins

ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Terrible news, and completely unexpected. 

I've seen him numerous times and was a great drummer and entertainer who often swapped places with Dave Grohl on vocals.

No cause of death announced so far.

been here before

50 year old rock star who previously admitted he used "a lot of ****ing drugs" and that "I loved doing drugs" and had overdosed at least once, found unexpectedly unresponsive in a hotel room in Columbia.

I wonder what might have happened.

HamishMcGonagall

Foo Fighters were one of my favourite bands when I was in my late teens and I saw them at the Corn Exchange, SECC and T in the Park. I went off them as the years went by but this is really quite sad. He always seemed like such a nice guy.

He done a 'Drumming Masterclass' with Steve Lamacq on Radio 6 last year but it was filmed and put on the bbc iplayer. He talks about growing up, what songs he used to play along to, his nerves and insecurities at joining the Foo's and having to drum infront of Dave Grohl. I don't know if it's still there but worth a watch if it is.

Ron Burgundy
2 hours ago, been here before said:

50 year old rock star who previously admitted he used "a lot of ****ing drugs" and that "I loved doing drugs" and had overdosed at least once, found unexpectedly unresponsive in a hotel room in Columbia.

Covid 100 %.

22 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

50 is no age at all.

RIP.

Puts things into perspective when you realise Taylor was just a year older than me. 

I don't know what will happen now with the band.  Busy tour schedule including London, Manchester and I think Reading Festival amongst many others.

Its hard to think of a person to replace him.

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I don't know what will happen now with the band.  Busy tour schedule including London, Manchester and I think Reading Festival amongst many others.

I would give it a go...😁, seriously though, was never a great Foo's fan ( age thing) although I will say the drumming on the songs I have listened to is top notch. Also watched him being interviewed by Stewart Copeland and he came across as a really nice guy, 50 is no age RIP.

7 hours ago, been here before said:

Blunt, but very true. 👍

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

That young lassie who had a YouTube drum war with Grohl?

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Which kind of brings up what I’ve been trying to find a kind way to say. Please don’t make the guy’s death into another massive Dave Grohl media exercise. 

19 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I really hated that publicity machine around the kid.

Rupert Pupkin

I like Foo Fighters, but can’t say I was truly a fan… Sad new none the same,as it is still quite young. 😢😢

Is it wrong that when I heard the circumstances my first thought was Drugs..? 

31 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

I like Foo Fighters, but can’t say I was truly a fan… Sad new none the same,as it is still quite young. 😢😢

I am the same.

My first time to see them was going to be 2001 at the Corn Exchange but they cancelled after he had an overdose after their Reading Festival slot.

I was meant to see them before that but a mate let me down.

For me the FF's aren't my favourite band, they have a few really good songs and lot of bad ones. They are all very likeable as people though and always look like they are having fun - too many bands take themselves too seriously.

That said, their live gigs are on another level and are definitely up there with the best artists I've seen live. 

Greedy Jambo

I hope someone is on suicide watch for Dave Grohl now, jesus christ, the shit he'll be going through, first Cobain, now Hawkins. 

6 hours ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Me too, it had to be drugs.

They don’t ever learn though, do they?

I saw them at Wembley in (I think) 2009 and was just in awe. My early years of concert going had mostly been in the Odeon and Playhouse plus Glasgow Apollo, seeing the likes of Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Whitesnake as well as bands like Echo and the Bunnymen and Hanoi Rocks in smaller venues. Seeing the Foo Fighters in full flow was genuinely something  else. The energy, the tightness of the band and the sheer enjoyment was off the scale. 30000 people singing in unison and everybody having a fantastic time was just brilliant. It really felt like something special.

A few years later I went to see Taylor Hawkins and the Coat Tail Riders at Scala,a small club at Kings Cross. I didn't really know what to expect, but it turned out to be a really special night. It started off with Hawkins drumming and singing with his band, but then he started introducing guests: Chris Squire the bassist from Yes, then Rufus Taylor (son of Roger) on a huge drum kit. Then Roger Taylor himself and as if that wasn't good enough,  Brian May then came on stage! A proper supergroup, in a tiny club for £15 a ticket. It was an amazing night. 

I really rate Taylor Hawkins as a drummer and think he was a genuinely good bloke. I'll miss him and just feel grateful that I got to see him. RIP. 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Me too, it had to be drugs.

They don’t ever learn though, do they?

I think you should wait until saying such things. He was clean for years as far as we all know.  Sorry but that’s a well out of order comment until we know.

I’ve seen him play 4 times and love the guy. Believe it or not plenty folk 50 years old die of causes other than drugs unfortunately. 
disappointed in your comment 

Edited by 1971fozzy

10 hours ago, frankblack said:

Id be surprised if they continue. DG will be floored . I’m so gutted and saddened by this. Just so sad

Dean Winchester
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

I think you should wait until saying such things. He was clean for years as far as we all know.  Sorry but that’s a well out of order comment until we know.

I’ve seen him play 4 times and love the guy. Believe it or not plenty folk 50 years old die of causes other than drugs unfortunately. 
disappointed in your comment 

Unfortunately it wasn't a big jump. Now being reported that the initial toxicology report shows he had 10 different types of drugs in his system.

23 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Unfortunately it wasn't a big jump. Now being reported that the initial toxicology report shows he had 10 different types of drugs in his system.

BBC News just reported this also.  Can't find it on their website but the mirror is reporting it:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-taylor-hawkins-had-cocktail-26565499

Its deeply saddening that it ended this way given what happened 20 years ago and all he achieved since.

BBC story now on their website:

Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins had opioids, marijuana and other drugs in his system before he died, Colombian investigators say.

A toxicology report showed traces of 10 substances in his body, including anti-depressants.

The cause of death remains unknown and investigators did not say if the mix of drugs was a factor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60890202

Painkillers and anti depressants is hardly the same as a coke and booze fueled bender.  Many a poor soul has been lost to Doctors orders.

10 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

That’s awful. Sorry @Morgan I’m just gutted 

Not a problem, foz.

I perhaps jumped the gun a wee bit, it's my turn to apologise.

You had no need to say sorry, I deserved what you said.

👍

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Painkillers and anti depressants is hardly the same as a coke and booze fueled bender.  Many a poor soul has been lost to Doctors orders.

The article has about 10 substances mentioned.  Prince and Michael Jackson were on prescription drugs too, remember.

11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The article has about 10 substances mentioned.  Prince and Michael Jackson were on prescription drugs too, remember.

the initial statement from the colombian coroner stated around 10 substances including benzodiazepines, opioids and marijuana

I was a massive Foos fan for years and had the privilege of seeing them live, absolutely fantastic live act. They have been mostly shite for quite a few years now, ironically bringing Pat Smear back to add extra grunt and extra guitar actually made them sound less heavy and more generic. 

As a band though, playing live was what they were best at and they genuinely were one of the best live acts around.

Taylor had big shoes to fill in Grohl but he became one of the iconic drummers of his generation, he will be massively missed. The Foos will carry on, because they rake in millions touring but you have to wonder of part of their soul will die without him

They will carry on in some shape or form. The reason for this is EGO!!....playing is like a drug look at The Stones, Eagles ect they certainly don't need the money. Most of the big hitters just can't leave it alone, as sad as all of this is DG will perform again whether it's a revamped Foo's or just a solo career IMO.

3 hours ago, micole said:

They will carry on in some shape or form. The reason for this is EGO!!....playing is like a drug look at The Stones, Eagles ect they certainly don't need the money. Most of the big hitters just can't leave it alone, as sad as all of this is DG will perform again whether it's a revamped Foo's or just a solo career IMO.

Bit of a strange criticism that - people shouldn't do things they enjoy if they don't need the money.

3 hours ago, micole said:

It's also his job and he loves it. Why it's a problem that he continues performing at his age is beyond me. The stones are ancient and should retire.

26 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Bit of a strange criticism that - people shouldn't do things they enjoy if they don't need the money.

Woah!! hang on there champ....it was not meant as a criticism it was in response to people thinking he would not continue or find it difficult to do  so.  A lot of these " stars" are ego driven and need the  limelight ,no problem in that at all.

30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's also his job and he loves it. Why it's a problem that he continues performing at his age is beyond me. The stones are ancient and should retire.

And there is my point right there, yes the Stones are well passed there sell by date but it feeds there egos to keep in doing it, again as I have said no problem in that at all.

26 minutes ago, micole said:

Woah!! hang on there champ....it was not meant as a criticism it was in response to people thinking he would not continue or find it difficult to do  so.  A lot of these " stars" are ego driven and need the  limelight ,no problem in that at all.

Yeah, I'm sure Grohl will find a way to carry on in some way or another. They'll bring in another drummer who won't be an official member of the band.

been here before
25 minutes ago, micole said:

And there is my point right there, yes the Stones are well passed there sell by date but it feeds there egos to keep in doing it, again as I have said no problem in that at all.

Theres a few folk at my work who could have retired a while ago but still do a bit here and there because they love it.

Ive often thought of them as being driven to feed their massive egos right enough :rolleyes:

Edited by been here before

43 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Yeah, I'm sure Grohl will find a way to carry on in some way or another. They'll bring in another drummer who won't be an official member of the band.

i think they will have guest drummers for the tour they are in the middle of/starts this summer. after that i think they will find a full time drummer, it is not like they have never had lineup changes

Rock star dies due to drugs in Columbia. Shocked!

Shame the guy died but FFS, this narrative is as old as the hills!