Edinbrick

Carl Fredrickson

Carl Fredrickson

Any Lego fans on Kickback? My two kids are Lego daft which means that as a result, I have an interest too. 

We regularly went to Lego events before Covid and on 14th May the Edinburgh event returns for the first time since 2019. 

My 11 year old son has been selected as one of the displayers and I am so excited for him. 

Any Kickbackers going? 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Any Lego fans on Kickback? My two kids are Lego daft which means that as a result, I have an interest too. 

We regularly went to Lego events before Covid and on 14th May the Edinburgh event returns for the first time since 2019. 

My 11 year old son has been selected as one of the displayers and I am so excited for him. 

Any Kickbackers going? 

Sounds great, hope he enjoys it. I sat snd watched my boys build the Millennium Falcon a few years back, really enjoyed it. Only problem was, the wife sold it afterwards 😱😡

Got a friend who has cabinets across a whole wall of his lounge which is full of completed Lego.

I want to get this for my boys next, but 😬

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/mclaren-formula-1-race-car-42141

Carl Fredrickson

Lego has great resell value. BNIB retired sets can go for silly amounts. 

My house is has Lego in EVERY room. I saw the McLaren in the Lego shop on Saturday and it looked impressive. 

I love sitting building things with my kids. Both of them love building mocs (not official sets - like how I built Lego when I was wee) and my 6 year old daughter is slowly building a zoo. 

Great family time. 

luckyBatistuta

Lego has great resell value. BNIB retired sets can go for silly amounts. 

My house is has Lego in EVERY room. I saw the McLaren in the Lego shop on Saturday and it looked impressive. 

I love sitting building things with my kids. Both of them love building mocs (not official sets - like how I built Lego when I was wee) and my 6 year old daughter is slowly building a zoo. 

Great family time. 

My wife pretty much got our money back on the Millennium Falcon as we keep the packaging for everything we buy.

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

My wife pretty much got our money back on the Millennium Falcon as we keep the packaging for everything we buy.

Box and instructions help the price. I know some folk that buy 2 of the popular sets, one to keep and one to sell once they retire. My view is Lego should be played with and enjoyed but appreciate that there is a market that folk will pay over the odds for a retired set. 

I've been into LEGO my whole life.

Treated myself to the giant Star Wars sets of the Death Star II and Imperial Star Destroyer when I had plenty of disposable income.

Cost £350 each new. I still have the boxes and instructions stored away carefully.

They change hands for well upwards of a grand each these days.

I was going to get the Rebel Blockade Runner and the first giant Millennium Falcon sets too but redundancy put paid to that.

Should have spent some of the redundancy pay on them, looking back on it now.

Both sets were taken off the shelves not long after and the value skyrocketed.

:levein2:

mrmarkus1981_1

My brother, despite having a really good highly paid job in a nuclear power station, has a 'Lego wall' with individual compartments, in a spare bedroom. Selling 15g of L5 bricks (I made that up) in his spare time. In lockdown I've built three Porsche and I've got an unopened Ferrari to build. Good time passer

luckyBatistuta
48 minutes ago, Cade said:

I've been into LEGO my whole life.

Treated myself to the giant Star Wars sets of the Death Star II and Imperial Star Destroyer when I had plenty of disposable income.

Cost £350 each new. I still have the boxes and instructions stored away carefully.

They change hands for well upwards of a grand each these days.

I was going to get the Rebel Blockade Runner and the first giant Millennium Falcon sets too but redundancy put paid to that.

Should have spent some of the redundancy pay on them, looking back on it now.

Both sets were taken off the shelves not long after and the value skyrocketed.

:levein2:

You got to be kidding, it was the giant Millennium Falcon she sold😭

Carl Fredrickson
8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You got to be kidding, it was the giant Millennium Falcon she sold😭

Nòooooooooooooooooooo

That has got to hurt. 

Storage is the main issue with Lego if you don't want to sell it. My house is shrinking as a result of Lego. 

15 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Nòooooooooooooooooooo

That has got to hurt. 

Storage is the main issue with Lego if you don't want to sell it. My house is shrinking as a result of Lego. 

And mine is likely to collapse under the weight of the stuff in the loft. 

Nookie Bear

Kids are kind of into it but need to be persuaded to sit down and focus sometimes. 

However I do remember back in the day building Lego stands to go round my subbuteo pitch. 

If I had a time machine I would go right back to that bedroom floor…

Carl Fredrickson
10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Kids are kind of into it but need to be persuaded to sit down and focus sometimes. 

However I do remember back in the day building Lego stands to go round my subbuteo pitch. 

If I had a time machine I would go right back to that bedroom floor…

That sounds very much like my bedroom when I was a kid! 

I have found Lego to be a great educational toy for my kids as they interact and work together on some builds, reading instructions when building kits and problem solving when building mocs (ie what piece do I need, how strong does this need to be etc). They are learning a lot while playing but not realising it. 

I enjoy building a set listening to music, nice relaxing way to spend an evening.

rossaldinho
56 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Nòooooooooooooooooooo

That has got to hurt. 

Storage is my issue as well. Got loads of stuff just now but nowhere to actually keep it when it's built! Girlfriend and I are only in a two bedroom flat but when we get a bigger place, it'll be tremendous! Only ones I've got out just now are the Boba Fett and Iron Man busts with loads of others wrapped up in cupboards. Hoping to pick up the bigger Star Wars, Marvel, and Harry Potter pieces as well.

Worst part is my missus has got me the McLaren F1 car for my 30th but won't get to open it until June - even worse the fact that I'm a massive McLaren fan! 😭

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

That sounds very much like my bedroom when I was a kid! 

I have found Lego to be a great educational toy for my kids as they interact and work together on some builds, reading instructions when building kits and problem solving when building mocs (ie what piece do I need, how strong does this need to be etc). They are learning a lot while playing but not realising it. 

I enjoy building a set listening to music, nice relaxing way to spend an evening.

Yeah it’s really good to see them engrossed in something once they get started. 

Always loved LEGO. Was one of the things my lad and I could do together. He's not really into football and I cant be arsed with Playstation etc. so LEGO was always good for us to spend quality father/son time together.

He's nearly 15 now and he doesnt look anywhere near it anymore so I just sold a whole load of LEGO for £500. Years worth of collecting which included the Star Wars Millennium Falcon with all the original boxes and many mini figures from Marvel, Ninjago, Star Wars etc. 

Reading this thread I think I may have undersold myself. No wonder it sold within a day of advertising it!

Doing the Land Rover at the moment, first time I've done a Technic set, bit of a step up from the wee one's sets, but nothing better than putting some chilled tunes on, making a brew and spending an hour or two building.

• 1 month later...
Carl Fredrickson

Under a week until the event and the wee man has finished his display. A final check on Friday when he is back at mine and then it is all go for Saturday. 

A sell out with all 1450 tickets sold. Will be a long day for him but he will love chatting with other builders/displayers. One of the other displayers entered a Lego build competition and he was a runner up and his display is going to be on show at the Lego HQ in Denmark. 

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Under a week until the event and the wee man has finished his display. A final check on Friday when he is back at mine and then it is all go for Saturday. 

A sell out with all 1450 tickets sold. Will be a long day for him but he will love chatting with other builders/displayers. One of the other displayers entered a Lego build competition and he was a runner up and his display is going to be on show at the Lego HQ in Denmark. 

Sounds like you are excited too. Lovely to read this thread actually.  Never really did any LEGO builts  but nice to see kids are interested in doing creative things like this than being glued to their phones or on Youtube. Hope  u and the kids have a great day at the event. 

Carl Fredrickson
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Sounds like you are excited too. Lovely to read this thread actually.  Never really did any LEGO builts  but nice to see kids are interested in doing creative things like this than being glued to their phones or on Youtube. Hope  u and the kids have a great day at the event. 

Thanks James, I think nerves and pride are my main emotions. Transporting big Lego builds can end in disaster. We have worked on how to move them from home to venue but it is a big challenge. 

Lego building has been a great educational thing for my kids. Following instructions when building sets and problem solving when they are trying to make mocs. They love going to displays and this has been great for their social skills as they are talking to adults. Both started on Lego quite young so eye to hand co-ordination has also been developed. 

I enjoy watching them build and play and as a parent it is one of the best toys. 

Just now, Cade said:

Magic, hope it goes well!!

:verysmug:

Thanks Cade, I hope so too. Being on the "other side of the table" will be an interesting experience for us. 

The Hogfather

Best of luck to your laddie, I'm sure he'll absolutely smash it! Used to love playing with Lego when I was a bairn but I never had any of the sets, just a random collection of bricks and other pieces. Used to be able to make a pretty nifty Enterprise-D at one point :laugh: 

Carl Fredrickson
3 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

Best of luck to your laddie, I'm sure he'll absolutely smash it! Used to love playing with Lego when I was a bairn but I never had any of the sets, just a random collection of bricks and other pieces. Used to be able to make a pretty nifty Enterprise-D at one point :laugh: 

That was my youthful experience with Lego. I was the youngest of 5 and inherited a huge box of mixed stuff. All blocks or baseplates from memory. Nowadays we have all the parts that arent from sets sorted into colours and in drawers by colour and size. Must have saved my kids hours/days looking for parts.  My imagination as a kid was limited to making houses....

3 hours ago, Pap said:

My sister and i had lots of knights and castles lego. Some of the prices of it now, second hand is mental 😳

Prices are crazy. It is a toy that stands the test of time and retired sets can go for huge amounts. I know folk who buy sets specifically to keep and resell once retired. I wish I had the discipline to do so!

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks James, I think nerves and pride are my main emotions. Transporting big Lego builds can end in disaster. We have worked on how to move them from home to venue but it is a big challenge. 

Lego building has been a great educational thing for my kids. Following instructions when building sets and problem solving when they are trying to make mocs. They love going to displays and this has been great for their social skills as they are talking to adults. Both started on Lego quite young so eye to hand co-ordination has also been developed. 

I enjoy watching them build and play and as a parent it is one of the best toys. 

Thanks Cade, I hope so too. Being on the "other side of the table" will be an interesting experience for us. 

Sounds like it will be a great day. I was on a family weekend holiday and was in the company of my wee 10 years old nephew.  We went to a theme park with the all family and there was dinosaurs in one area of it , who moved and roared.  I said to him " oh looks theres dinosaurs , you love them".  He replied " Yeah I did when i was a kid"  :) My heart sank a wee bit as its so true they grow up really quick . 

Carl Fredrickson
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Sounds like it will be a great day. I was on a family weekend holiday and was in the company of my wee 10 years old nephew.  We went to a theme park with the all family and there was dinosaurs in one area of it , who moved and roared.  I said to him " oh looks theres dinosaurs , you love them".  He replied " Yeah I did when i was a kid"  :) My heart sank a wee bit as its so true they grow up really quick . 

Oh man that will break my heart. My son goes to high school after the summer and still loves dinosaurs (thanks to the Jurassic films which I really enjoy too). I had a chat with him Re going to high school and he will be into other things. He says he wants to keep his dinos as he makes stop motion films with them. I hope this is the case but I fear that pressure from friends may change his mind. 

JudyJudyJudy

Oh man that will break my heart. My son goes to high school after the summer and still loves dinosaurs (thanks to the Jurassic films which I really enjoy too). I had a chat with him Re going to high school and he will be into other things. He says he wants to keep his dinos as he makes stop motion films with them. I hope this is the case but I fear that pressure from friends may change his mind. 

Sorry didnt mean to be a Debbie Downer. :) it was just a little observation from my weekend. Hes still a sweet lad but just has different interests now that he is getting older.  He into games on his Iphone now and things like that. Loves playing football so thats great he has that interest for a variety of reasons. You move along with them when they change so its a very natural thing and its just life isn't it ? Your lad seems creative so he might find other creative outlets when he gets a little older? 

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Sorry didnt mean to be a Debbie Downer. :) it was just a little observation from my weekend. Hes still a sweet lad but just has different interests now that he is getting older.  He into games on his Iphone now and things like that. Loves playing football so thats great he has that interest for a variety of reasons. You move along with them when they change so its a very natural thing and its just life isn't it ? Your lad seems creative so he might find other creative outlets when he gets a little older? 

You may be many things but not a Debbie Downer on this thread :) I am sure Lego will keep his interest for years to come. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

You may be many things but not a Debbie Downer on this thread :) I am sure Lego will keep his interest for years to come. 

Cheers. yes it seems plenty adults like it too. Theres no age limit. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
5 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Hope you enjoy. We love our LEGO and recently finished building the  Titanic.  Would like to get a bit more creative and do our own builds in future.

Carl Fredrickson
45 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Hope you enjoy. We love our LEGO and recently finished building the  Titanic.  Would like to get a bit more creative and do our own builds in future.

I would have loved to build the Titanic but no space for it. I love the modular buildings and have a few. My son is the creative one. He gets inspiration from Lego events and watching Youtube. 

If he gets to display at another event he is wanting to display moc scenes from each of the 6 Jurassic films. He is the creative one, I am the organiser/bank. 

Samuel Camazzola

There's a Lego event on at East Fortune in June although ticket prices will be a bit higher than this week's one. 

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

There's a Lego event on at East Fortune in June although ticket prices will be a bit higher than this week's one. 

That is Brawbricks. A two day event but it is my sons birthday on the Saturday so we couldnt display. Will pop along on the Saturday. If you are a member of National Museums of Scotland it is free entry. 

The tables have a lot more space around them as the display is in the hangers. A great event. 

Angry Haggis
9 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I have tickets and will be along, looking forward to it 👍

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I would have loved to build the Titanic but no space for it. I love the modular buildings and have a few. My son is the creative one. He gets inspiration from Lego events and watching Youtube. 

If he gets to display at another event he is wanting to display moc scenes from each of the 6 Jurassic films. He is the creative one, I am the organiser/bank. 

That sounds great. Titanic is put away right now with the idea that we’ll display her one day once we get our basement more organized!

Carl Fredrickson
49 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

I have tickets and will be along, looking forward to it 👍

If you see some Marvel mocs, make yourself known to us

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

That is Brawbricks. A two day event but it is my sons birthday on the Saturday so we couldnt display. Will pop along on the Saturday. If you are a member of National Museums of Scotland it is free entry. 

The tables have a lot more space around them as the display is in the hangers. A great event. 

👍 

Pans Jambo
On 09/05/2022 at 13:09, Carl Fredrickson said:

Brilliant. Love to hear how it goes. Dont be shy with the photos either!

Carl Fredrickson
3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Brilliant. Love to hear how it goes. Dont be shy with the photos either!

Pics will be posted!

Carl Fredrickson

What an amazing day at Edinbrick. My son is still high as a kite. Nearly 1500 visitors and loads of positive chat. Great experience for him and he has been invited to display at an event at Peterhead in July. Thanks to the Kickbacker who took time to chat with us. 

image.png.efbca49d2dc90c04cfa24b27ff69f36d.png

Some truly amazing displays which have inspired my son to do more and improve on what he has already built. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

What an amazing day at Edinbrick. My son is still high as a kite. Nearly 1500 visitors and loads of positive chat. Great experience for him and he has been invited to display at an event at Peterhead in July. Thanks to the Kickbacker who took time to chat with us. 

image.png.efbca49d2dc90c04cfa24b27ff69f36d.png

Some truly amazing displays which have inspired my son to do more and improve on what he has already built. 

Great to hear you and the family had a good day 

• 4 months later...
Carl Fredrickson

Didnt want to start a new thread but for any Lego fans who might be interested, there is another Lego show on this weekend at Summerlee museum at Coatbridge. 

My son has improved the builds he had at Edinbrick and as he has extra space at this display, he has made an extra exhibit. 

image.png.7917822e731e34b295413b7e0bd7aadb.png

https://culturenl.co.uk/museums/summerleewhatson/summerlee-museum-events/

Carl Fredrickson
10 hours ago, Statts1976uk said:

I was in the London Lego store today in Leicester Square, some amazing sets in there. Sorely tempted by the Airbus H175

I havent been in it since it reopened. Want to take my kids down to see it. 

Carl Fredrickson
5 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Took part in Lego comp in Goldbergs Tollcross circa 1970 did not win.  

The year I was born! I have very vivid memories of seeing Santa at Goldbergs. Would have loved to have went to the shop more often as it seemed exotic to someone who lives out in the sticks.

On 11/10/2022 at 08:35, Carl Fredrickson said:

I havent been in it since it reopened. Want to take my kids down to see it. 

I could have easily spent a fortune in there, my son did though!

I've got my eye on the H175 helicopter, I work with them in real life and would look good on my desk.

Carl Fredrickson
50 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

I could have easily spent a fortune in there, my son did though!

I've got my eye on the H175 helicopter, I work with them in real life and would look good on my desk.

WOW. That is the beauty of Lego - a lot of it imitates life. For example, I got the Office set this week and not only does it look similar to where I worked prior to working from home, some of the characters are similar too :)

Lego is very expensive and a lot of folk will be priced out of the new sets. I am fortunate that my son (who is the Lego fanatic) enjoys doing his own creations as much as sets.