Pies!

Locky

Got one of they piemakers from Aldi a few weeks back and it is honestly the bollocks. Never been so easy to make your own. We've tried steak, chicken curry, haggis and peppercorn, and cheese, leek and ham so far. Anyone got any other recipes I can chore?

56 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

what pastry do you use? and do you make your own or just buy it from the shops?

Just pre-rolled shortcrust from Tesco usually. There's probably better options out there but they come out lovely.

Auld Reekin'
8 minutes ago, Locky said:

Just pre-rolled shortcrust from Tesco usually. There's probably better options out there but they come out lovely.

Not meaning to be a smart-arse, but where does a piemaker come into things if you buy ready-made pastry? (Nothing wrong with that, as such, but almost all of it seems to contain palm-oil, which is best avoided for environmental and health reasons.)

What I'm really asking here is: what exactly is an Aldi piemaker and what does it do if it doesn't make the pastry?

19 minutes ago, Locky said:

to mix it up, try pizza dough. a little more difficult to roll but the lack of butter makes it healthier calorie wise and will give you something a little different

35 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Not meaning to be a smart-arse, but where does a piemaker come into things if you buy ready-made pastry? (Nothing wrong with that, as such, but almost all of it seems to contain palm-oil, which is best avoided for environmental and health reasons.)

What I'm really asking here is: what exactly is an Aldi piemaker and what does it do if it doesn't make the pastry?

It's basically a toastie maker with pie shaped moulds.

Nothing I enjoyed more on the back shift was going to the chippie for a pie supper, taking it back to the box sit on the desk with the supper and my mug of tea, look out the windae at my domain I wouldnae call the king my uncle.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Got one of they piemakers from Aldi a few weeks back and it is honestly the bollocks. Never been so easy to make your own. We've tried steak, chicken curry, haggis and peppercorn, and cheese, leek and ham so far. Anyone got any other recipes I can chore?

You're not limited to pies.  How about Scotch Eggs?  Wrap boiled eggs in sausage meat,coat with breadcrumbs and cook for about 10 minutes. You could probably cook wee Toad in the holes in the thing. Granted you'll have pie shaped Scotch Eggs and TITHs. 

Auld Reekin'
38 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

It's basically a toastie maker with pie shaped moulds.

:icon14:  Right, ta. I wouldn't bother with one myself, but then again the bursd is a bit of a dab hand when it comes to pastry.

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

to mix it up, try pizza dough. a little more difficult to roll but the lack of butter makes it healthier calorie wise and will give you something a little different

I like your thinking. Will defo give that a bash.

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

What shortcrust pastry !!:vangry:

go puff or go home 

Haven't been brave enough to **** around with puff yet. :lol: Shortcrust is just convenience. Get the impression puff could get messy.

3 hours ago, Steak said:

I was about to say you're going to turn into a pie but having watched the Ibrox celebration I think we're past that point

:rofl: wait til you see my Hampden celebrations.

3 hours ago, Meathook said:

You're not limited to pies.  How about Scotch Eggs?  Wrap boiled eggs in sausage meat,coat with breadcrumbs and cook for about 10 minutes. You could probably cook wee Toad in the holes in the thing. Granted you'll have pie shaped Scotch Eggs and TITHs. 

Ohh now that sounds good.

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, Steak said:

I was about to say you're going to turn into a pie but having watched the Ibrox celebration I think we're past that point

Homer and i love pies, ones at stenhouse are the best.

giphy (1).gif

Jarvispickle pies. 

Discovered these a wee while back at Stewarts Brewery in Loanhead.

They are outstanding.....like....cut off your own pinkie toe just to get one outstanding.

Edited by Der Kaiser

Black pudding and a whole egg.

Pre fry the black pudding in olive oil.

No more than 3 minutes.

Season with turmeric and basil.

Shape to have egg in middle.

Time it for soft yolk.

Butter (heavily( a roll .

How much for the pie thing?

manaliveits105

Just discovered Crombies beef and mutton pies - very nice - Bridies and other kind of pies are too 

they are closed for renovations till 24th March thankfully - great butchers 

Auld Reekin'
22 hours ago, Meathook said:

On that subject, a fantastic recipe for Scotch Eggs is to use a mixture of sausage meat, crumbled black-pudding, and crumbled haggis - so much tastier than with just sausage meat. :icon14:

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

Check out tilly butcher on Instagram, always doing mad pies! 

Mad cow pies...?  :huh2: :o :ermm:

Auld Reekin'
33 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Mince round is the dug's. 😋

There was an old Chic Murray gag about a man going into a butchers and asking if he could have "a mince round", but I don't want the JKB political-correctness police :ermm: on my case so I'll leave it there...   :rolleyes: :whistling:

9 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

There was an old Chic Murray gag about a man going into a butchers and asking if he could have "a mince round", but I don't want the JKB political-correctness police :ermm: on my case so I'll leave it there...   :rolleyes: :whistling:

🤣Go on, they'll no mind :whistling:

crunchy frog
On 14/03/2022 at 11:16, Locky said:

Nobody has mentioned the best pie of all yet.

Hair.

:oohmatron:

JudyJudyJudy
On 14/03/2022 at 13:39, Sharpie said:

Nothing I enjoyed more on the back shift was going to the chippie for a pie supper, taking it back to the box sit on the desk with the supper and my mug of tea, look out the windae at my domain I wouldnae call the king my uncle.

Awe . I had a great mince pie supper last week from the “ gorgie fry “ . Best chippy in Edinburgh . Loads of brown sauce on it too . Heaven 

On 14/03/2022 at 13:59, Meathook said:

Oh that sounds delicious 

On 14/03/2022 at 17:31, Harry Potter said:

Homer and i love pies, ones at stenhouse are the best.

giphy (1).gif

I like ‘ the pie maker “ at south bridge 

On 14/03/2022 at 19:39, Ked said:

Black pudding and a whole egg.

Pre fry the black pudding in olive oil.

No more than 3 minutes.

Season with turmeric and basil.

Shape to have egg in middle.

Time it for soft yolk.

Butter (heavily( a roll .

How much for the pie thing?

Sounds great too 

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Mince round is the dug's. 😋

I use to hate them when I was a kid . I’d ask my ma “ what’s for tea “ and she would tell me it was a mince round . I’d moan about it and she would tell me like it or lump it . Now I like buying one now and again as it reminds me of my mum  . Food always brings back happy memories for me 

4 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Nobody has mentioned the best pie of all yet.

Hair.

:oohmatron:

I prefer not to speak.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Locky said:

I prefer not to speak.

I prefer sausage rolls really 😂

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Awe . I had a great mince pie supper last week from the “ gorgie fry “ . Best chippy in Edinburgh . Loads of brown sauce on it too . Heaven 

Oh that sounds delicious 

I like ‘ the pie maker “ at south bridge 

Sounds great too 

I use to hate them when I was a kid . I’d ask my ma “ what’s for tea “ and she would tell me it was a mince round . I’d moan about it and she would tell me like it or lump it . Now I like buying one now and again as it reminds me of my mum  . Food always brings back happy memories for me 

It does indeed, bud. 🥲

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Disappointed no-one has mentioned cream yet?:greggy:

DA4745FF-E5A2-4F4E-A174-47BE3BDDA66E.png