Umbro new deal or not?

KyleLafferty

I believe the Umbro deal is up at the end of this season, we’ve been with them for what 6 years now? From what I can find it was deal worth £3 million(including bonuses) for the full deal. Also rangers and Celtic are getting £5million and £6million a year from Castore and Adidas.

Is it time for us to move on from them to

find better money? I think the kits have been good and bad. Away tops have been terrible recently, but the all black and inter tops have been brilliant.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Sooks

• dannymack

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I believe the Umbro deal is up at the end of this season, we’ve been with them for what 6 years now? From what I can find it was deal worth £3 million(including bonuses) for the full deal. Also rangers and Celtic are getting £5million and £6million a year from Castore and Adidas.

Is it time for us to move on from them to

find better money? I think the kits have been good and bad. Away tops have been terrible recently, but the all black and inter tops have been brilliant.

Whoever offers most

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Whoever offers most

Don't think its that simple, we ideally should look to partner with the manufacturer who offers the best value for money and quality. Grabbing the highest offer leads to the Castore's and Errea's of this world.

1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

Don't think its that simple, we ideally should look to partner with the manufacturer who offers the best value for money and quality. Grabbing the highest offer leads to the Castore's and Errea's of this world.

It's a logo on a t shirt, I couldn't care less if it has a Castore or Errea logo on it

3 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I'm sure we have another year left with Umbro.

Anywhere I can find it’s 2022 unless I’ve been a bit stupid. Still raising the point that we need bigger kit deals if possible. Getting europa would help that.

If we're getting ~1/2 of what the old firm are getting I'd say that's a cracking deal. They'll easily sell more than half the amount of shirts than we do, plus sky exposure every other weekend.

Just now, EH11 2NL said:

If we're getting ~1/2 of what the old firm are getting I'd say that's a cracking deal. They'll easily sell more than half the amount of shirts than we do, plus sky exposure every other weekend.

We aren’t I think 3million is the full price of the deal. Celtic and rangers are getting 25 and 30 million deals.

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's a logo on a t shirt, I couldn't care less if it has a Castore or Errea logo on it

It's a brand, which has a big impact on people's perception of it. Cheap brands with poor quality fit better with cheap clubs.

Umbro seems like a smart partnership, they are small enough to care about the detail.  Typically with the bigger brands they will just shove a badge on to 1 of 4 templates.

PhoenixHearts

If we had Adidas they'd just give us cheap off the peg teamwear like they did last time. There was one nice kit they did for us. One. Out of six. And it was still a template kit, just recoloured.

If we were lucky we'd maybe get the privilege of being 3rd rate Adidas team and we could use the "MiAdidas" service which provides a limited amount of customisable features on kits.

Put it this way, Bayern are the only club in Germany who get fully bespoke Adidas kits.

Everyone else gets teamwear. Even Benfica who are arguably the biggest team in Portugal and a far bigger club than us dont get bespoke Adidas kits.

The big dogs have tiers to their kit partnerships. Adidas have Bayern, Juventus, Real, Man utd up the very top, then on the next level down you have your bigger Europa league type clubs, then it keeps going down in levels with smaller clubs.

Adidas or Nike would not be good for us. We need to find a manufacturer who are big enough to give us a premium feeling but small enough to work directly with the club. This is why I think Umbro is our perfect match. Now if we wanted to renegotiate a better deal with Umbro, now we're talking.

adidas-teams-pyramid+%281%29.jpg

25 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Anywhere I can find it’s 2022 unless I’ve been a bit stupid. Still raising the point that we need bigger kit deals if possible. Getting europa would help that.

Screenshot_20220218-091752_Chrome.jpg

21 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

It's a brand, which has a big impact on people's perception of it. Cheap brands with poor quality fit better with cheap clubs.

It's a logo on a t shirt, **** people's perceptions!

4 minutes ago, McNelly15 said:

Where is that taken from?  I was assuming it was another year on the back of this. We announced a 3 year extension during the 2019/20 season which had the rest of the season to run. So that existing deal plus the extension should see it run out in 2023 I think https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/three-year-partnership-with-umbro

Whoever makes us a Peru/River Plate away kit will get my vote.

The info from Phoenix Hearts above is really interesting. 

I always wonder why there isn't more fan engagement in strip design, given tapping into that is more likely to sell more kits.

So essentially whoever gives us more control over our design gets my vote, unless it's Castore.

1 minute ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Where is that taken from?  I was assuming it was another year on the back of this. We announced a 3 year extension during the 2019/20 season which had the rest of the season to run. So that existing deal plus the extension should see it run out in 2023 I think https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/three-year-partnership-with-umbro

It's nonsense, we'd need to sell 40k tops at 50 quid each to bring in 2 million in sales, never mind manufacturing and logistical costs.

Under the floodlight
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's a logo on a t shirt, **** people's perceptions!

How's the business going Mr Ratner?

Fitzroy Pointon

The difference with the Old Firm deals, at least Celtic anyway, is that they are the higher end of the Adidas deals. They will get bespoke kits and have Adidas branding all over the stadium, including the seats. When we had Adidas, other than the 2014/15 kit, which I was surprised about, we wore bland, off-the-peg teamwear and training gear with nowhere near the amount of Adidas branding around the stadium. 

Umbro have always given us quality kits no matter the design. I feel Umbro and Hearts are a good fit and I would hope it continues. We don't want to end up with Castore or Hummel, with the lettering or chevrons falling off after a few washes like the last Hummel shirt we had. 

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's nonsense, we'd need to sell 40k tops at 50 quid each to bring in 2 million in sales, never mind manufacturing and logistical costs.

Its not just tops though...full training kit etc

33 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Obviously the money is important but there seemed to be a few supply issues with Umbro.

Think that was just a one off with Covid, but I do agree that it wasn't ideal especially for a company as reputable as Umbro.

I've always liked Hearts being with Umbro so hope they stay on, and can't really see us getting much more than £2 million a season from another brand. Nike would be something totally different but sure it would just be bland teamwear stuff. Same with Adidas as we saw before, with the exception of the 14/15 home kit.

A return to Errea wouldn't be bad. Only know of Parma and QPR who they currently provide for but they've done some lovely tops for them recently. I've actually got a QPR top from a couple of seasons ago and its a cracking shirt.

Adidas and Umbro are the only decent kit manufacturers IMO. Imagine we ended up NB, Joma or even Kelme....

Either way, I'm in my mid 40's, so I won't be buying & wearing a football top.

Finishing 3rd would give the club a huge bonus all round.   prob worth an additional 2 million. This does not include and European games. I like umbro...very good quality stuff...i think we have 1 year to go.. 

A_A wehatethehibs

A decision for the bean counters and marketing gurus.

Adidas and Nike make the best looking kits usually but equally would not be massively interested in Hearts, so would be financially worse for us than Umbro.

However there’s other smaller brands for whom the Hearts contract would be a huge deal, so that would be financially better than Umbro, like a Castore but the risk is you have to go with their designs and can end up with pretty crappy looking kit like Rangers have this season with that ugly yellow writing 

Umbro to me always seem to me to be the middle ground of decent looking decent quality gear so imagine it would take something significant for us to swap away from them 

43 minutes ago, McNelly15 said:

With the club now stable, looking like it will be at the right end of the SPFL table (and not the Championship) and with renewed confidence with supporters/media/other sponsors then I would expect our next Umbro deal (if offered) to reflect that. 

If we consider that some of our shirts have sold out resulting in a re-order with the company (the black one and more recently the blue/black away kit) then there is evidence we are meeting sales targets. 

Would it be unreasonable to expect this to rise by at least 25% as a starting point (min £2.5mill). 

Hearts will never match an Old Firm deal but I think we provide value in other ways as a platform for positive partnership/marketing. Umbro will have benefitted in some way from their name associated with 2 charities in the last few years. 

I like the Umbro kits. The Umbro kits have been a far better quality than the Adidas and Puma ones that we have had in between. Macron and Joma look like cheap shit as well so i hope we avoid any rubbish like that.

27 minutes ago, Locky said:

Think that was just a one off with Covid, but I do agree that it wasn't ideal especially for a company as reputable as Umbro.

I've always liked Hearts being with Umbro so hope they stay on, and can't really see us getting much more than £2 million a season from another brand. Nike would be something totally different but sure it would just be bland teamwear stuff. Same with Adidas as we saw before, with the exception of the 14/15 home kit.

A return to Errea wouldn't be bad. Only know of Parma and QPR who they currently provide for but they've done some lovely tops for them recently. I've actually got a QPR top from a couple of seasons ago and its a cracking shirt.

Agree about the Hearts Adidas kits. Apart from the 14/15 strip (a rare top quality effort) the rest were really poor quality and resembled something bought off the rack in JD Sports.

30 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I like the Umbro kits. The Umbro kits have been a far better quality than the Adidas and Puma ones that we have had in between. Macron and Joma look like cheap shit as well so i hope we avoid any rubbish like that.

The Joma material that makes up kit is quite decent. My kid has a one, it's really not any worse than the Umbro. 

It's the designs that let them down.

5 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

The Joma material that makes up kit is quite decent. My kid has a one, it's really not any worse than the Umbro. 

It's the designs that let them down.

That is fair enough. The designs really are horrible though and the motif looks crap. 

Depends on who pays more tbh, I like Umbro though. The home tops (bar this season which still isn't awful imo) have all been stunners, the last away tops haven't been as good bar a couple of nice ones. The 2 most recent 3rd tops are up there with our best strips ever imo, & the navy blue one wasn't bad either. Plus the retro tops etc they've re-released have been great business, can tell they work a lot closer with hearts on the merchandising front than your big boys like Adidas/Nike who would just give us off the rack stuff.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Well yeah, if BNP-Hun Sport make an offer I'd be inclined to say no

Tbh.... 

:profit:

2 hours ago, McNelly15 said:

We can get 1.2 million from MND if we finish 3rd or higher 👍🏽

Mate, it's nonsense. I mean, ignoring the figures, look at the grammar. Where did you find it?

The Old Tolbooth

I vote for whoever can get us the shade of maroon kit we had when we played in the 96 League Cup final, that was a thing of beauty! 

Twenty years on: Is this the greatest League Cup final ever? | The Scotsman

I think we should stick with Umbro for good. They give us bespoke kits that the support likes. We wouldn’t get that with adidas or nike who i don't think are as good as umbro when it comes to football kits anyway. 20 year deal with umbro for 50million quid please Hearts. 

5 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

https://www.totalsportal.com/money/hearts-kit-contract-deal/amp/

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Mate, it's nonsense. I mean, ignoring the figures, look at the grammar. Where did you find it?

Had only looked it up to check amigo. Dont shoot the messenger!! 🤷🏻‍♂️