Reacher

cookieboy

Anyone else read all the books ? Tom Cruise should never have been cast in the movies. Just binge watced on Amazon Prime . absolutely brilliant 

20 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I thought the movies were okay.

It’s the old classic thing that the film producers hope that fans of the books wouldn’t pay close attention to the films but they would be fine for everyone else. 

The Real Maroonblood
44 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s the old classic thing that the film producers hope that fans of the books wouldn’t pay close attention to the films but they would be fine for everyone else. 

That sounds about right.

Read up to read sentinel (book 21) and absolutely love the books. The Cruise movies were OK but they were NOT Reacher movies.

the driving force behind Reacher is his size, his physicality and how folk don't realise he is an excellent detective, FFS the car chases were the worst part, Reacher is not much of a driver. 

1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

Anyone else read all the books ? Tom Cruise should never have been cast in the movies. Just binge watced on Amazon Prime . absolutely brilliant 

Watched first three episodes today, it’s great can’t wait to watch the rest tomorrow. 

I am sure I have read all the books, love them. I watched the movies but a previous poster stated the facts perfectly Tom Cruise is not the book physically  described and personality described  that Cruise portrays. I am a regular library user here and seek out Reacher books as a priority.

Liked the books but yeah, Cruise is not the actor to portray him. Nothing like the character.

Similar with Rebus. Both Hannah and Stott don't look anything like he does in the book but I did like their performances in the TV shows.

Read the first 5 or 6 books, I thought they got a bit samey after that, mind you, that was also around the time I changed the genre of books I read.

The films were good but casting Tom cruise (whi I really like as an actor) as a 6 and a half foot, 20 stone of solid muscle character was a bit off. As someone said above, as good as the films are, they aren't really jack reacher.

Read most of the books. Love them. Harmless entertainment and don’t take themselves to seriously.

Casting Cruise as Reacher was just ridiculous. I’ve only seen one Reacher film and I couldn’t compute in my mind the character Reacher in the books to what I was seeing on screen? They just didn’t marry up.

The films would have been better with someone like Gerrard Butler or Tom Hardy as Reacher.

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

I felt a bit like that for the Cowboy Bebop series on Netflix. I enjoyed it - it was fun, but the fans of the original anime series slated it to high heaven and that might have been one of the reasons it wasn't renewed. It can be a tough cookie to film a book/anime and please the consumers of the original as well as construct something that has its own unique feel and works well as a moving picture.

I thought Cruise did reasonably well as Reacher.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, superjack said:

Read the first 5 or 6 books, I thought they got a bit samey after that, mind you, that was also around the time I changed the genre of books I read.

The films were good but casting Tom cruise (whi I really like as an actor) as a 6 and a half foot, 20 stone of solid muscle character was a bit off. As someone said above, as good as the films are, they aren't really jack reacher.

Never read the books so I didn’t have any preconceived idea about how the character should be.

I suppose that’s a bonus.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Never read the books so I didn’t have any preconceived idea about how the character should be.

I suppose that’s a bonus.

Yup, me too. Perhaps that's why I thought Cruise wasn't too bad in the role.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

They’re novels. 

Does it matter. People really need to lighten up. Tom Cruise is a far better actor than the Lump of wood in this thing. I'm watching it, but can't really work out if it's pish pish or pish good.

Edited by ri Alban

I like Tom Cruise as an actor, in roles that are suitable to he. However the personae of Reacher is not like the Cruise  character in one film where he fights a bunch of guys from the bar. The  scene was just made for a large man teaching a bunch of goons a lesson, for me that scene was poorly cast, not well directed, and to a Reacher fan a distortion of the full Reacher character. 

Just watched the first episode, really enjoyed it. Luckily its a few years since I read the books so I'm only remembering the odd wee bit as it happens.

Also, this guy feels like reacher, correct size, bulk and personality.

Finished it tonight. Pretty good switch your brain off fun. A lot of awfy sair looking things in the fight scenes. 
Interesting technique for packing the boot of a car as well.  

26 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Finished it tonight. Pretty good switch your brain off fun. A lot of awfy sair looking things in the fight scenes. 
Interesting technique for packing the boot of a car as well.  

Nothing gets to me but when he packed the boot I winced.

17 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

CRUNCH 🤣

Just started his book The Sentinel, in the early pages he is described as 6'5" 250lbs does that match Tom Cruise. 

4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Just started his book The Sentinel, in the early pages he is described as 6'5" 250lbs does that match Tom Cruise. 

Certainly matches the actor playing him in the new tv series. The bloke is massive. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Certainly matches the actor playing him in the new tv series. The bloke is massive. 

I haven't seen the series offered here, would love to get it, is the title just Reacher or am I missing it somehow.

Just now, Sharpie said:

I haven't seen the series offered here, would love to get it, is the title just Reacher or am I missing it somehow.

It’s on Amazon Prime so will be a worldwide release but only for subscribers. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

It’s on Amazon Prime so will be a worldwide release but only for subscribers. 

Thanks I don't usually subscribe s if I last another as it is today ten birthdays I may get it free.

😇

Cairneyhill Jambo
56 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I was surprised the actor is actually only 6ft 2in. Certainly looks a lot bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished episode 4, really struggling with it now. Story is good but the acting is so wooden. Could have been filmed in a timber yard.

I find this quite common with a lot of American programmes.

• 1 year later...

The Reacher movies were OK but bore no relation to the books.  I wonder if the use of the name made it worth the money that went to the author...

TV series was a much closer adaptation. 

Edited by Spellczech

On 05/02/2022 at 11:06, Seaside jambo said:

I think Tom Cruise bought the film rites for the books so that’s why he’s in the films he just cast himself 

What a gigantic ego!

On 08/02/2022 at 21:27, Sharpie said:

One of the other things is that Reacher doesn't really like driving, it doesn't come naturally to him and he is absolutely maaaaaasive

So of course the Tom Cruise movie has him in a car chase where he outmanoeuvres them and cooly jumps out and blends into a crowd of bystanders 😂

10 hours ago, Spellczech said:

The Reacher movies were OK but bore no relation to the books.  I wonder if the use of the name made it worth the money that went to the author...

TV series was a much closer adaptation. 

The author was apparently involved in the movies, and praised Cruise in the role...I imagine the bag of money he got must have helped cement his opinion! Of course, he's now praising them for casting a bigger Reacher in the TV series, so he's clearly got another large amount of cash for the TV series...

I've read all the books (recent ones have been poor, as Lee Childs has passed the writing task on to his brother 🙄) so didn't like Cruise being cast in the movies although, if you could ignore that he wasn't really like the character, they were still decent to watch. The TV series Reacher is definitely more in keeping with how he's portrayed in the books, but the acting isn't always great. Still enjoyable though.