VAR - How can we implement this in Scotland

vegas-voss

Ok the big TV leagues have great cameras with every angle going but in Scotland outside the main game that's on Sky when you see the highlights on TV they are barely able to show anything and clubs own cameras again are usually pretty poor so how much is needed to invest and get this up and running properly.

Seriously no idea if it's an easy solution or not to implement it.

Edited by vegas-voss

We hide behind the "Scottish teams can't afford it" rhetoric but it must be a possible option when you see a lot of the pub leagues around the world currently using it 🙄

Screenshot_20220202-095403_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220202-095412_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I understand it is getting brought in. Earliest would be after break for World Cup next season.

Refs and clubs want it so it is happening.

We would have been better off so far this season with it in place. If anything it gives refs back up to make a decision or not then hope VAR picks it up then they say the footage gave the decision. Last nights pen claims are a prime example.

Brighton Jambo

It’s embarrassing that we still don’t have it.  It needs to come in for the start of next season.  

Football has moved on but we haven’t, and as a result we as a club have less points that we otherwise would have, it’s that black and white.  

5 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Ok the big TV leagues have great cameras with every angle going but in Scotland outside the main game that's on Sky when you see the highlights on TV they are barely able to show anything and clubs own cameras again are usually pretty poor so how much is needed to invest and get this up and running properly.

I'd reinvent VAR as a budget model. String a wide angle Go-pro on 3 wires high up running the length of the pitch - one in the middle and 2 on the lines, have them linked to the chip in the ball so they keep in line - only the ball within the parameters of the pitch is "live". Build a computer generated image as they do with tennis rather than a film as such. Perhaps one or two of the cameras would need to be infra-red to capture people and the other ball. Job's a good 'un. 

What they've done so far is take the multi-camera setup that TV already had as the starting point. No need to do that.

Edited by Spellczech

40 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Given it will be the same corrupt arseholes making the decisions, will it really make a significant difference?

No. If Sevco and Septic can send delegations to the SFA after they imagine they have been ill-treated by refs (aye, right), imagine the pressure on VAR operations. We don't need this time-wasting mince which kills atmosphere and spontaneity and adds ridiculous amounts of injury time; we need better refs who are not intimidated by bigger clubs.

No idea how we get that, though.

3rd gen jambo
42 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Given it will be the same corrupt arseholes making the decisions, will it really make a significant difference?

Totally agree. VAR in Scotland will be bad refereeing decisions being judged by equally bad referees. 

Some cameras are better than no cameras I suppose for reviewing decisions. But as folk say its the officials operating them that will be the issue.

42 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I'd reinvent VAR as a budget model. String a wide angle Go-pro on 3 wires high up running the length of the pitch - one in the middle and 2 on the lines, have them linked to the chip in the ball so they keep in line - only the ball within the parameters of the pitch is "live". Build a computer generated image as they do with tennis rather than a film as such. Perhaps one or two of the cameras would need to be infra-red to capture people and the other ball. Job's a good 'un. 

What they've done so far is take the multi-camera setup that TV already had as the starting point. No need to do that

Intriguing concept and ont the Facebook it, with merit

Would we make sure though that the cameras don't swing excessively in the wind?

Or that when a horizontal one and vertical one meet, they don't crash into each other?

This is Scottish football.

Would certainly be a better use of the big screens at ER rather than the constant adverts every time the ball went out of play.

It was sickenely americanised last night. That would seriously piss me off looking at that every other week. 

16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Intriguing concept and ont the Facebook it, with merit

Would we make sure though that the cameras don't swing excessively in the wind?

Or that when a horizontal one and vertical one meet, they don't crash into each other?

This is Scottish football.

Yeah they'd have to be on some high tension wire but you have a bunch of stands around most grounds to secure any pylons to. They'd need a little robustness in case they took a whack from a ball. Also not sure how you deal with birds! (perhaps the power source could be combined with some sort of bird dissuasion! Haha I'm not suggesting it is all technically sound, merely basing my suggestion on idea that VAR was not created for football from a blank sheet but rather starting from the presumption of a shed-load of TV cameras already there...

Sawdust Caesar

Plenty refs use the excuse "I didn't see it so couldn't award a penalty/free kick or whatever" With VAR they wont be able to use that go to excuse anymore. If a ref denies a team a blatant penalty claim after reviewing VAR then he can be accused of cheating or incompetence, VAR would give them one less excuse to hide behind. I also think VAR may take the heat of them, especially in games v the OF, if they have to award a last minute penalty against one of them. I know some refs will have varying views on whether a penalty should or shouldn't have been awarded but if  non OF teams are repeatedly denied an obvious penalty against the OF after the ref has viewed VAR then those clubs will no doubt be 'seeking clarification from the SPFL' as to why they weren't awarded a penalty. I don't believe that all the refs in Scotland are fans of one of the OF and therefore biased against all the other teams, I think, as someone else said on here recently, most are scared to give something against the OF in case they get their windows tanned in or get assaulted in a supermarket queue, OF fans are like rats, you're never more than a 100 feet from one so most refs probably have neighbours that support the OF, especially through the west. Bring it in, I say. 

37 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Would certainly be a better use of the big screens at ER rather than the constant adverts every time the ball went out of play.

It was sickenely americanised last night. That would seriously piss me off looking at that every other week. 

Hibs are so classy advertising Dragon Soup or whatever it's called 🤣

2 hours ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

It was horrific.

I don't recall Ibrox or Celtic Park being that bad, albeit I haven't been at either for a while.

8 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

The only way it would work in Scotland is if the refs reviewing Var were from other Countries.

Can you imagine someone like Don Robertson having Nick Walsh or Bobby Madden reviewing his dodgey decisions against us? They would agree with him and say nothing to see play on.

bobby bombscare

The way it should be applied:
Work with another refereeing body that already has VAR in use. Use that to train up the refs and then have them in a central location, watching for misjudgements in all games. Potentially even look at getting IMPARTIAL refs from oversees to do the VAR side of the refereeing? Thus preventing Scottish referees bias playing a part in big decisions. 

How it would actually be applied:
Spend all the money getting it set up and then allow Willie Collum and his cronies to just fire on like they no what they're doing. Ohh and of course VAR only intervenes when it works in favour of the Old Firm! 

All jokes aside, the problem with VAR is that you are still relying on COMPITENT refs on the pitch, on the sidelines and controlling the VAR. Scottish football has plenty competent refs, but unfortunately they aren't from the west of Scotland so they don't get a sniff. As long as we have the current crop of premier league refs, there is absolutely no point bringing in VAR. Also, the corruption in Scottish football is probably 90% of the reason VAR has been resisted so much! 

3 hours ago, kirkierobroy said:

No. If Sevco and Septic can send delegations to the SFA after they imagine they have been ill-treated by refs (aye, right), imagine the pressure on VAR operations. We don't need this time-wasting mince which kills atmosphere and spontaneity and adds ridiculous amounts of injury time; we need better refs who are not intimidated by bigger clubs.

No idea how we get that, though.

I completely agree with you.  I don't want VAR.  I want honest and competent officials.

Thing is, we're never EVER getting that.  So I want VAR.

Then the issue is the officials, who are the problem in the first place, will be running it.  Can you honestly say we'd get those penalties last night with Robertson on the pitch and, say, John Beaton on VAR?  Perhaps would depend how close we were getting to the OF, I'd guess...

We're in a different position to many countries.  England for example wanted VAR to make football more precise and basically sterilise the crap out of it and make it shinier.  We want it cos we can't trust our own officials.  

Both very sad situations.

Not for me.

We all know who it'll benefit and they already get all the benefits of the doubt.

The biased refereeing won't change unless we get rid of the biased referees and that won't be happening anytime soon

My solution would be to team up with the English Championship and use a centralised location to include the SPFL and use those referees as the Video Assistant.

The thought of the VAR sitting watching a monitor at Ibrox doesn't really appeal to me.

We need it ASAP but can you imagine the amount of times it's used ? The refs are at a piss poor standard as it is in Scotland, It will make no difference having another BENT ref in a office watching the game and making the decisions even if its on camera or not.

I could picture Don Robertson getting a call in his ear by Collum you need to re watch this, It was foul on Simms in the box by Stevenson goes over to the monitor and then watches another 3 Minutes back to find a potential offside or a tug by a Hearts player to over ride the pen.  (  I've see this once or twice before, A player could be checked for being offside he's on then they check a potential foul on the build up what wasn't even the issue in the first place )

Or the SFA comes out and says yes we have VAR but it's only for games at Hampden and the Old Firm being involved. 

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I completely agree with you.  I don't want VAR.  I want honest and competent officials.

Thing is, we're never EVER getting that.  So I want VAR.

Then the issue is the officials, who are the problem in the first place, will be running it.  Can you honestly say we'd get those penalties last night with Robertson on the pitch and, say, John Beaton on VAR?  Perhaps would depend how close we were getting to the OF, I'd guess...

We're in a different position to many countries.  England for example wanted VAR to make football more precise and basically sterilise the crap out of it and make it shinier.  We want it cos we can't trust our own officials.  

Both very sad situations.

Thing is, if blatant calls are being turned down by VAR, then it shines the light even brighter on the corruption.

I reckon the refs want it to take the heat off of them and perhaps, with that in the background, they may just become better refs.

With all the media hype around our game, and by that I mean the OF "bantz", VAR gives the ref an out. Takes the pressure off to an extent.

Shit, I'd want VAR just for the dodgy offside calls 

joondalupjambo
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

What is the cost.This seems to be something that always gets banded about as a reason for VAR not being implemented

No idea but if Scotland qualify for the next WC then the large amount of money the SFA get from that can subsidise it's implementation.   Remembering that this would be income the SFA were not expecting it currently counting on.  My fear is that the SFA and the club's will keep moaning about funding just to delay it coming in.

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, Paolo said:

And there's the rub. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

24 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

No idea but if Scotland qualify for the next WC then the large amount of money the SFA get from that can subsidise it's implementation.   Remembering that this would be income the SFA were not expecting it currently counting on.  My fear is that the SFA and the club's will keep moaning about funding just to delay it coming in.

SFA last of the dinosaurs

33 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

What is the cost.This seems to be something that always gets banded about as a reason for VAR not being implemented

Around £300,000 - £700,000

Edited by Factuer Moi

6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Total or per ground ?

Not really sure, hawk eye was kicking about, at the time it was around £15,000 per ground. I think, not 100 per cent. I estimated it , so it could be £1M per ground.

Not helpful at all. Someone else will take over. Point out the actual facts you are seeking.

Edited by Factuer Moi

I think they will bring it in reluctantly.......does not serve the incompetent set up that already exists. You can bet your bottom dollar the Old Firm will have a massive say if VAR does come in. As I have said before the game up here is knackered, we will never get impartially....😧