Laszlo Travels with Hearts Squad

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Laszlo-travels-with-Hearts-squad.4279514.jp

Laszlo travels with Hearts squad

Published Date: 11 July 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

CSABA LASZLO will fly to Belfast with Hearts on Monday to watch his prospective new squad in action against Glentoran, however, sport director Anatoli Korobochka and coach Angel Chervenkov are likely to take charge of the team for the evening.

The Tynecastle club are edging nearer appointing the Hungarian as their new manager after we exclusively revealed on our website yesterday that the Hungarian was in Edinburgh for contract talks.

He has already sought to address one misconception about himself, telling club staff last night to address him by his first name, Csaba, and not Laszlo, which is the family name.

The Ugandan Football Federation gave permission for their head coach to travel to Scotland and begin negotiations. Discussions were scheduled to continue today but an appointment is unlikely before Monday evening's engagement in Ulster. Hearts officials hope to announce Laszlo, 44, as their new figurehead by the middle of next week, provided contract terms and compensation for the Ugandan Federation can be agreed. No decision has been taken on his backroom staff but the club have confirmed an African assistant is not likely.

Korobochka, assisted by Chervenkov, will take command of the side against Glentoran before giving way to Laszlo next week. The former Ferencvaros coach watched Hearts train for the first time at Riccarton yesterday morning.

He met several first-team players and club staff before being transferred to Tynecastle for talks with Korobochka and Mindaugas Nikolicius, a financial official from Ukio Bankas Investment Group.

Laszlo emerged from the stadium office block via a back exit at 6.37pm following more than four hours of negotiations. He was driven off in the passenger seat of Korobochka's club Honda.

The Ugandan Federation, whilst reluctant to see their head coach depart, believe Hearts are in the process of recruiting a dedicated and astute manager.

"He brought more professionalism and consistency to the team here," said Lawrence Mulindwa, the association president.

"In our last campaign, we only missed out on qualifying for the Africa Cup of Nations in Ghana on goal difference.

"That was a big thing in this country. Laszlo has tried his level best, he has been co-operative and adaptable. Managing an African team is not easy because there are lots of issues you must overcome.

"If he can use that experience he can easily manage a team in northern Europe. All the facilities are there, he can get anything he wants. That is not the case in Uganda."

Charles Masembe, general secretary of the Ugandan Federation, said: "We know that he will leave but what can we do? He has done a very good job here and we wish him all the best in Scotland."

Hearts will have to pay out ?120,000 compensation should they appoint the former Ferencvaros coach, whose ?48,000-a-year contract with the Africans is not due to expire until the end of 2010. Laszlo was born in Odorhei, Romania, but has Hungarian citizenship. He speaks English, German, Hungarian and Romanian and will relocate to Scotland with his wife and two children.

A statement released by Hearts yesterday read: "Heart of Midlothian Football Club confirmed today that the club was in talks with Csaba Laszlo regarding the vacant managerial position at Tynecastle. Laszlo was granted permission to speak with Hearts by the Ugandan FA, as the Romanian-born coach is currently the Uganda national team manager."

If he comes, then all the best.

Maybe he'll be able to communicate properly with Dimitriu Copil and turn him into the Georghe Hagi he's supposed to be. :)

londonjambo

Interesting bit about the club saying its unlikely his assistant will be African. I got the impression from other threads that his assistant with Uganda - Jackson someone - was (a) African and (B) coming with him.

Sticking point ??

GC

Interesting bit about the club saying its unlikely his assistant will be African. I got the impression from other threads that his assistant with Uganda - Jackson someone - was (a) African and (B) coming with him.

Sticking point ??

GC

He would really need to have someone who knows the Scottish scene, surly?

Buffalo Bill

All the best to the guy.

I hope he kicks some serious Riccarton butt.

Buffalo Bill

All the best to the guy.

I hope he kicks some serious Riccarton butt.

Buffalo Bill

Yeah! *Throws BB a high-five while running around whooping HMFC*

:cool:

Guest GhostHunter

Sticking point ??

GC

Work Permit.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Sticking point ??

GC

Probably because he wouldn't qualify for a work permit.

londonjambo
He would really need to have someone who knows the Scottish scene, surly?

Not disagreeing Dave (though not sure they have to be surly to be fair - probably just disagreeable would be OK)

Just mentioning that it seems inconsistent with what we have read in other threads.

FWIW I think he's a good appointment - probably the best we could hope for in our present state.

GC

Buffalo Bill
Yeah! *Throws BB a high-five while running around whooping HMFC*

:cool:

"USA! USA!"

Buffalo Bill

Dirk Diggler

If after this, for whatever reason, He doesn't sign on the dotted line, I?d suggest we are in the shecht and will end up with Zygmanovich and Chervenkov.

I?m still mot convinced we?ll land him.

Not disagreeing Dave (though not sure they have to be surly to be fair - probably just disagreeable would be OK)

Just mentioning that it seems inconsistent with what we have read in other threads.

FWIW I think he's a good appointment - probably the best we could hope for in our present state.

GC

Let's hope so.

Dr. Bapswent
I'm not sure what he'll learn from a testimonial...

Positions they play in, players names.

Whether they are interested in impressing a prospective new boss....

wheatfield to sheffield

He has already sought to address one misconception about himself, telling club staff last night to address him by his first name, Csaba, and not Laszlo, which is the family name.

So, could any Hungarian Jambos advise us on how to pronounce that?

Sabba?

Shabba?

Chabba?

I'd go for Shabba, but then I don't speak Hungarian (I will not buy this record, it is scratched).

Rudolf's Mate

Get him in and get some of his tranfer targets in so we can see what he's capable of. Good luck to the guy. I really hope he does the business for everyones sake.

Chad Sexington

I'm actually starting to get a bit excited.

Is this normal?

Concerned Shakin Stevens fan

Edinburgh.

Much like Baps suggests, he will know very little about such big footballing names like Audrius Ksanavicius and Gary Glen.

Gets him in and around the team early and familiarises him with the squad.

IF he is the man, I hope he gets in and goes through them. A no nonsense approach is a necessity IMO.

Is this normal?

Edinburgh.

Thank crunchie it's Friday. :)

Gigolo-Aunt

??????????????????????????????

You should be very proud of yourself.

Have a lollypop.

200milesfromgorgie

Sabba?

Shabba?

Chabba?

I'd go for Shabba, but then I don't speak Hungarian (I will not buy this record, it is scratched).

i'll go for Sabba. as in SAR-BAR

Is this normal?

Edinburgh.

NO

Much like Baps suggests, he will know very little about such big footballing names like Audrius Ksanavicius and Gary Glen.

Gets him in and around the team early and familiarises him with the squad.

IF he is the man, I hope he gets in and goes through them. A no nonsense approach is a necessity IMO.

Done Deal :P

Sabba?

Shabba?

Chabba?

i'm not hungarian but had a mate who was and called csaba, hard to pronounce but it's somethiong along the lines of chooba or choobo.

??????????????????????????????

You should be very proud of yourself.

Have a lollypop.

You can't even spell lollipop.

:(

I know it's not a done deal but surely moving from a salary of ?48k to ?350k (or so) must be an incentive ?

Come on Csaba, you know you want to . . .

Walter Kidd

Is this normal?

Edinburgh.

Are you banging one out behind the green door?

Troubled Adam & the Ants fan.

Sabba?

Shabba?

Chabba?

The Cs is pronounced "Ch" (as in cherry)

The a with an accent that my keyboard doesn't have, is pronounced "aw" (as in jaw)

And the final a is a (as in bat)

Giving Chawba

marshallschunkychicken

I thought it was pronounced zabba.

And it will be, in my head, and in any conversations I have with people. However infuriating that may be for them. :)

Guest JamboRobbo

Where did all the "Banderson talks ****e", "don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth" etc etc posts dissapear to? :P

Gigolo-Aunt
You can't even spell lollipop.

:(

I cant spell lots of words.

I do know the importance of when a new manager meets the players though.

I cant stress how imprortant it is for him to speak to Berra (club captain)

I cant stress how imprortant it is for him it is to speak to the experienced players in the squad.

I cant stress how important it is for squad of players to know that a possible new manager is watching them.

I cant stress how important it is for him to see players which will fit in to the system HE wants to play.

I just cant stress how important it is.

Mind you, its only a testimonial eh?

??????????????

Tuba?

Now that is weird!

Hungarian is a weird language, close to finnish i think.

if it is pronounced Tuba then lets hope he's not the biggest trumpet we have had as a manager:p

Sabba?

Shabba?

Chabba?

Not Hungarian, but a quick search suggests the following:-

Cs = Ch as in church

a = o as in cot

b = b as in bad

L = L as in lip

? = a as in baa

sz = s as in say

? = a as in tall

Therefore Chobo Laaslaw would seem to be the way to pronounce it. Happy to be proved wrong though!

The a with an accent that my keyboard doesn't have, is pronounced "aw" (as in jaw)

Giving Chawba

Chawba?

Christ, he's in for a hard time.

marshallschunkychicken
Not Hungarian, but a quick search suggests the following:-

Cs = Ch as in church

a = o as in cot

b = b as in bad

L = L as in lip

? = a as in baa

sz = s as in say

? = a as in tall

Therefore Chobo Laaslaw would seem to be the way to pronounce it. Happy to be proved wrong though!

Did anyone else feel themselves moving closer and closer to their monitor while they were reading this? ;)

Guest JamboRobbo
Did anyone else feel themselves moving closer and closer to their monitor while they were reading this? ;)

:laugh: I thought it was one of those sight test thingys.

the voice from above

Giving Chawba

Hungry man here - the correct way to pronounce it is T-uuub-aaaaahhh.

;)

If he's travelling, he's signed imo.

It's a done deal, but nowhere near ?350,000pa. More like double what he was paid by the Ugandan FA. ?100,000pa.

Fat Striker
I HATE THOSE FRIGGIN' WORDS THIS SUMMER

:P

Agreed.

The scarf MUST be above the head.

* Though at a push I'd be willing to accept draped round the neck

;)

Jambof3tornado
He'll get to see how many airline meals Nade can eat on a 45 minute flight.

And my guess would be....................

ALL OF THEM!!!:dribble:

I HATE THOSE FRIGGIN' WORDS THIS SUMMER

:P

True.

*Dave hooks himself in the chops for annoying fellow KB'ers*

The Wicker Man

k-csaba csaba what ever will be will be.

I'm sure the BBC pronounced it as say-bah

I cant spell lots of words.

I do know the importance of when a new manager meets the players though.

I cant stress how imprortant it is for him to speak to Berra (club captain)

I cant stress how imprortant it is for him it is to speak to the experienced players in the squad.

I cant stress how important it is for squad of players to know that a possible new manager is watching them.

I cant stress how important it is for him to see players which will fit in to the system HE wants to play.

I just cant stress how important it is.

Mind you, its only a testimonial eh?

??????????????

That's a better reply than 'have a lollipop'.

I'd rather he was in the dugout for the match tbh, but if he's not penned his contract then that will not be happening. Quite a few players couldn't give a toss about Hearts and the sooner he weeds them out the better.

Archived