The next 4 league matches

jambo89

Leaving the Souttar circus to one side, The next 4 league matches could define our season. We have Celtic at home, a chance to close the gap to just 6 points which would be pretty incredible at this stage of the season (especially for a newly promoted team).

Then it's at home to Motherwell, our nearest rival for 3rd and only realistic rivals for the europa league spot.

Shortly after that, theres the 3 points we'll get from the filth at giro road.

Then we have rangers at Ibroke. They will have played Celtic by then and it could be a chance to go second in the league if results go our way. 

Could this be the best season we have since Burley?

The thing for me is for the first time in a long time it’s seems sustainable. Recruitment has been a major factor in our early season success, as long as we continue to recruit well we will see improvement season on season. 

This season, third is ours to lose. I think Aberdeen will be 4th but we are very much in the driving seat. 

Prediction - draw against Tim’s. Win against Motherwell and Hibs. Lose to huns. 

Just now, The Maroon Pound said:

1 game at a time, a week is a long time in football Who knows what tomorrow brings 

Absolutely - a tricky cup tie coming up focus on  that and then we plan for the next one.

The last thing we need is get ahead of ourselves 

10 minutes ago, heartandsoul said:

I think we should just take one game at a time and see where we end up.

8 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

1 game at a time, a week is a long time in football Who knows what tomorrow brings 

I often look at chunks of game.

But with a run like that, I think it's dangerous to look ahead thinking about the bigger picture.

1 game at a time is absolutely right. 

1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

I often look at chunks of game.

But with a run like that, I think it's dangerous to look ahead thinking about the bigger picture.

1 game at a time is absolutely right. 

That's probably a sensible approach, so doesn't apply to me.

Deep down, evey season I feel that 'this is our year'. Being a Hearts fan it never pans out that way. But if you donlt allow yourself to look ahead and dream, what else have you got!

1 minute ago, jambo89 said:

That's probably a sensible approach, so doesn't apply to me.

Deep down, evey season I feel that 'this is our year'. Being a Hearts fan it never pans out that way. But if you donlt allow yourself to look ahead and dream, what else have you got!

Lager?

AlphonseCapone

I don't want to be a downer but we'll get nowhere near Celtic. Tbh I think they'll win the league. 

L - Celtic

W - Motherwell 

D - Hibs 

L - Rangers 

In the grand scheme of things. That wouldn't be a disaster. 

53 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I don't want to be a downer but we'll get nowhere near Celtic. Tbh I think they'll win the league. 

L - Celtic

W - Motherwell 

D - Hibs 

L - Rangers 

It would keep us comfortably on target for 3rd place. It's an interesting period coming up. That's currently the 4 toughest opponents in the league for us. If anyone is going to take our 3rd place from us this is likely when they will need to make a dent in our points advantage.

Aberdeen have St Mirren, St Johnstone, Ross Co and Livingston (now or never for Aberdeen I would think!)

Hibs have us and Motherwell alongside Livingston and St Mirren. Hibs really need to be taking points from us and Motherwell to make a serious move on 4th and 3rd.

Motherwell have us, Hibs, St Mirren and Celtic. Not easy.

Going to be an interesting few weeks.

It depends what players we have available, and how we keep it together.  Consistency has been our biggest problem this season, and we go on little runs that come to a halt seemingly out of nowhere. 

Last time we played Motherwell, the same thing happened; we were all ahead of ourselves because we had won 3 in a row and just pumped Dundee United 5-2, 3 points in the bag before the game kicked off, etc. etc., and then we go and lose 2-0.

Celtic is a tough game, but I think we've got enough to keep them under wraps defensively, I just worry about what we've got up front.  If we could get a striker in, I'd feel a lot more comfortable going up against them and their huddy defenders.

Motherwell and Hibs are must wins; Motherwell as it's a "6 pointer" in the race for 3rd, and Hibs because it's Hibs.  The others, I just want us to actually try and win instead of trying not to lose.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

L - Celtic

W - Motherwell 

D - Hibs 

L - Rangers 

Agree with that mate, i also think Celtic will win the league. 

4 points from Motherwell and Hibs should be the minimum objective but i would love six points and i am always confident when we head to Easter Road.

I always feel confident against either arse cheek at Tynecastle but getting anything in Glasgow has to be seen as a bonus.

7 points would be superb from the next 4 matches

D - Celtic

W - Motherwell 

W - Hibs 

L - Rangers 

2 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

4 points from Motherwell and Hibs should be the minimum objective but i would love six points and i am always confident when we head to Easter Road.

I always feel confident against either arse cheek at Tynecastle but getting anything in Glasgow has to be seen as a bonus.

D - Celtic

W - Motherwell 

W - Hibs 

L - Rangers 

Think this would all but secure us 3rd place tbh. We will have played the old firm 3 times each and won't meet them until the split. The other teams around us still have to play them too so would open up a good 12 point gap imo

11 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

D - Celtic

W - Motherwell 

W - Hibs 

L - Rangers 

Snap yir hand off for that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We could lose all 4 and still easily qualify for Europe. Not season defining in the slightest.

If anyone else gets to 60 I would be surprised, beat 4 of the bottom 6, you only need 9 more points. Avoid defeat to Aberdeen and Hibs, draws are absolutely fine, you are home and dry.

I think we might just grab 2nd, think rangers form is gonna fall off and Celtic will overtake them. Just a feeling with rangers and Celtic seem to have strengthened and look a better team than rangers do by far. I think as long as we get a striker in that's decent enough we could.go.on a wee run here like at start of season. Auchinlecht are coming at perfect time to gain more confidence and momentum going into Celtic and Hibs games. The players seem to believe it so why shouldn't we. We are more than capable and.need to start believing it.

We need Beni back.

We need one of the best strikers we've ever signed.

Absolutely no word on anyone coming in.  Sell the Rat and spend every penny on a striker.

Robbie appears to be targeting that 3rd spot going by his last interview, not something any of us considered at the beginning of the season.

3rd is ours to Chuck away now.

DWWD . That is as close to a prediction that suits Me, will it happen i hope so. Although i would also like these WWWW

3 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Outside of the obvious 2nd place finnish 2005-06, we are in a better position, yes we had better players in that side ( apart from Craig Gordon ) . The club in general right now is stable has the right people at the helms, all in all this season is a stand out of intent. None of us expected or dreamed of the events of the 2005-06 season, we had some amount of people in charge over the season, everything was pie i nthe sky. It was also ****ing brilliant, winning the SC and a lofty 2nd in the league. This time round we are dilligently working away at competing with the Old Grannies, this is going to be done with a well thought out budget very talented spotters eyeing up targets. The 2005-06 side were very successful, they are the level we are aiming at right now. We are on course.

Vlad was years ahead of his days, we owe him so much for the vision he showed. Burley sunk his own ship over a misplaced word, his own ambitions to manage in the EPL were used as he wanted out. Not the case, was a misintepretation over a late arrival for a coffee. The what if factor is as great on that as it is of the 85-86 season. What if.

Edited by Factuer Moi

Whatever happens over those 4 matches, we have a committed, talented squad and if we don't get max points, it won't be down to lack of effort. 

Feels good watching these guys on the pitch. With the possibility of one or two decent signings, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season 

Not getting to far ahead of things focus on each match cause we could lose any of them to be honest ( don't think we will lose them all ).

I think getting between 7-9 points will be a good haul from that.

4 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Leaving the Souttar circus to one side, The next 4 league matches could define our season. We have Celtic at home, a chance to close the gap to just 6 points which would be pretty incredible at this stage of the season (especially for a newly promoted team).

Then it's at home to Motherwell, our nearest rival for 3rd and only realistic rivals for the europa league spot.

Shortly after that, theres the 3 points we'll get from the filth at giro road.

Then we have rangers at Ibroke. They will have played Celtic by then and it could be a chance to go second in the league if results go our way. 

Loving the optimism, but looking back at the last time we played each of them, 0 goals scored in every game. 

Think we will fare better this time around, possibly beat Motherwell and draw/win at ER but that's about all I think.

3 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

Loving the optimism, but looking back at the last time we played each of them, 0 goals scored in every game. 

Think we will fare better this time around, possibly beat Motherwell and draw/win at ER but that's about all I think.

You could look back slightly further when we beat celtic at Tynecastle and drew with Rangers at Ibrox. 4 points from 12 isn't a disaster by any means, but Celtic at Tynecastle is usually a tight game and with Sevco's new manger and look, who knows what we could get.

A_A wehatethehibs

Not for me, the last 5 games through December going back to the Motherwell loss, outwith than the 2 games against the OF, they were more season defining:

St Mirren W

Livi W

Dundee W

Ross County W

St Johnstone W 

Win the bread and butter games youre expected to win, that’s the foundation for a good league season, always has been always will be. Forget games against Celtic etc, points are a bonus in those games, we’re massive underdogs. 

It’s the bad points dropped that damage you.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

1 hour ago, Boyces beard said:

D - Celtic

W - Motherwell 

W - Hibs 

L - Rangers 

Exactly what I think.  Anything better would be superb.

All five games to finish 2-0.

Hearts wins at Auchinleck, ER and vs. Motherwell.

Hearts defeats vs. and @ the old firm.

Not convinced we have a load of goals in us at the moment but we're sound at the back. Even without Souttar.

I think we could get something from the games against the Grue2 but, if not, winning the other three would be acceptable and leave us in a good position.

Sorry, league games only, apparently. Oh well.

Edited by martoon

Pasquale for King

Four wins is actually doable as neither of the uglies are any great shakes. If we are still as far in front of the rest by the time theses four are played we will be in great shape. 

I'd be happy with 4 points for drawing the next 4 .Anything above would be a bonus. 

3rd place can only be thrown away . Keeping a weeks holiday for a  European trip.

Bazzas right boot

We can almost cement 3rd if we got good results. 

No chance of 2nd tho. We'd need to go on a unbelievable run of wins and I can't see us doing that. 

Be delighted to be proven wrong. 

1 hour ago, daavojaay said:

I think we might just grab 2nd, think rangers form is gonna fall off and Celtic will overtake them. Just a feeling with rangers and Celtic seem to have strengthened and look a better team than rangers do by far. I think as long as we get a striker in that's decent enough we could.go.on a wee run here like at start of season. Auchinlecht are coming at perfect time to gain more confidence and momentum going into Celtic and Hibs games. The players seem to believe it so why shouldn't we. We are more than capable and.need to start believing it.

Auchinleck Talbot poses many tests for Us, for them it is the tie any football club would want in a cup game outwith the Oldies. We bring a loyal support who generaly behave away from home, also an atmosphere. As far as the level they play at, they are a good solid outfit who will be very hard to dismantle. They score a couple per game, the game is on their patch of grass.

I expect us to beat them , i see it being a bit more difficult than most would/do expect. I see us running out clear winners.

Edited by Factuer Moi

42 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Four wins is actually doable as neither of the uglies are any great shakes. If we are still as far in front of the rest by the time theses four are played we will be in great shape. 

I disagree with this tbh. I genuinely think Celtic are starting to look like a very good team. They're going to win the league and I expect the points gap between 1st and 2nd will be around 10-12points.

The next 4 games are a huge challenge for us, 6 points would be a great outcome and will stand is us in a very good position for the run in. The optimist in me says the 12 is doable though.

I’m always confident at home. Not over confident but it’s back to being a fortress thankfully.

im very much a one game at a time person. Too much can change to look at runs in this league.  Motherwell play Hibs soon so hopefully a draw. 

Going to Easter Road I’m always confident but like all games depends on any injuries / covid isolation etc etc. sure I read they are likely to be without the diving wig as Australia will be calling him ? That weakens them immediately. 

InternationalJambo
26 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

I disagree with this tbh. I genuinely think Celtic are starting to look like a very good team. They're going to win the league and I expect the points gap between 1st and 2nd will be around 10-12points.

The next 4 games are a huge challenge for us, 6 points would be a great outcome and will stand is us in a very good position for the run in. The optimist in me says the 12 is doable though.

Celtic are a good team for a total of around 60 minutes out of the 90. They have been the same all season, run out of steam for a third of each half. The way he is trying to play is far too taxing on ur typical Scottish player, and the market for technically good footballers that are athletes is rife, every club is looking for them. 

On the other hand Rangers have been able to grind out results without playing well at all, something Celtic have struggled with this season. They look poor without aribo though. 

I think next season may be different when Postecoglu has had another transfer window but I’d be amazed if the gap between the two of them is any more than 6 points. 

Anyway, on us, if we can keep the 8 point gap we have already after our next four games I’ll be delighted. 

Edited by InternationalJambo