Match Ratings. V St Johnstone.

upgotheheads

Barry McKay.................................................................................9,     Get him signed up for 4 years at least

Josh Ginelly..................................................................................8

GMS .............................................................................................6

Moore............................................................................................6

Everybody else ...........................................................................7

Gordon - 8 - not loads to do but couple of big saves in first half 

Souttar - 7 - one mistake but otherwise did fine

Halkett - 7 - one great block, one moment caught out. Overall decent

Kingsley - 7 - solid

Devlin - 8 - thought he was really good. Tackling, energy… the usual!

Haring - 7 - tidy

GMS - 5 - I’m a defender of GMS but thought he was anonymous 

McKay - 9 - MOTM a standout. Great having an exciting player like this again. 
Ginelly - 8 - Took goals well and lead line well.

Subs:

McAneff - 5 - did fine

Moore - 5 - did fine

Halliday - no time 

12 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Barry McKay.................................................................................9,     Get him signed up for 4 years at least

Josh Ginelly..................................................................................8

GMS .............................................................................................6

Moore............................................................................................6

Everybody else ...........................................................................7

6 for GMS. 😳

Gordon - 7 - Saves you’d expect him to make in the first half but he done well

Smith - 7 - Was disappointed not to see Atkinson start, but solid from Smith

Halkett - 6 - Didn’t do anything bad. Didn’t do anything great. Average.

Souttar - 6 - See Halkett

Kingsley - 7 - Some good stops and offered himself well for advance play.

Cochrane - 7 - Proving to be a solid player consistently now. Also showing some good vision with neat and tidy passing.

Devlin - 7 - Had a few off moments in the final third, but combative again in midfield and looked like he was back to one of his better performances after a few off ones

Haring - 8 - Excellent, didn’t put a foot wrong and helped control the game kn our favour

GMS - 2 - Terrible. Again. The guy has to do more. We need to move him on and get someone else in.

McKay - 9 - (MOTM) Just missing a goal for the perfect performance. Looking like the special player he can be tonight.

Ginnelly - 8 - Didn’t so much other than the goals, but took both excellently

SUBS 

Moore - 6 - Slotted in no problem, shows we won’t miss Souttar if he goes this window or gets dropped

McEneff - 5 - not really fair to put him as centre forward, very isolated so little chance to do much

Halliday - 5 - Little time to do anything. Weird substitution with him coming on for McKay, but I did say in the match day thread Neilson would try and shoe horn him in and so it proved.

The Mercer Takeover

Gordon 7 Nothing much to do
Smith 7 Solid but faded as game went on
Souttar 7 Boo
Halkett 7 Reasonably composed throughout
Kingsley 8 Quality player and good game
Cochrane 7 Physically strong
Devlin 8 Non-stop and should have scored
Haring 7 Composed and assured
GMS 4 Should have been hooked at half-time
McKay 9 Brilliant link up play but needs to score
Ginelly 8 Took goals well

McAneff  2 Nose bleed as centre forward
Moore 5 Slotted in fine
Halliday 2 Why

Gordon - 7

Soutar - 7 

Halkett - 7 

Kingsley - 7 

Smith - 7

Devlin - 8 

Haring - 7 

Cochrane - 7

GMS - 4  

McKay - 9  
Ginnelly - 8 

Edited by H2

2 minutes ago, H2 said:

Gordon - 7

Soutar - 7 

Halkett - 7 

Kingsley - 7 

Devlin - 8 

Haring - 7 

GMS - 4  

McKay - 9  
Ginnelly - 8 

I'd give Haring 8 too otherwise spot on.

Gordon. - 7.5. Usual solid display, not a lot to do apart from two routine saves (from his standard)

Smith. - 7.5. Competition for places and smith put in a solid claim to keep his RW slot. Bit of Cafu type play down that wing at times 

Soapy - Meh. Not bothering with a rating. 

Halkett. - 7. Steady performance 

Kingsley - 7  nice passing at times poor free kick first half for his standard.  

Cochrane -7. Solid. 

GMS - 6.  Our poorest player. Anonymous at times. 

Haring -7.5. Really has stepped up to the plate after coming in for Beni. This run of games has done him wonders. Need to offer him a new deal. 

Devlin. 8. Was tremendous in the second half. What a wee player he is. Could have put Ginelly in for a hat tick but who can blame him for wanting a goal. 

Mackay - 9. MOM. Sublime passing, two assists and unlucky not to score. 

Gino - 9. Quiet first half, sublime second half. Took both goals well and put in a great shift. 

Subs:

Moore - 6. Slotted in nicely for Halkett. No change to the balance in defence. 

McNeff. 5. Never changed anything really. Not a striker. 

Halliday. - Brought on to see out the same. No time to earn a rating. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

7 minutes ago, H2 said:

Gordon - 7

Soutar - 7 

Halkett - 7 

Kingsley - 7 

Devlin - 8 

Haring - 7 

GMS - 4  

McKay - 9  
Ginnelly - 8 

Smith and Cochrane not worth a rating?

Gordon 10

Smith 10

Soutar  10

Halkett  10

Cochrane  10

Kingsley 10

Devlin   10

Haring  10

GMS     5

McKay   10
Ginnelly 10

Edited by Factuer Moi

Ginnelly 7

Devlin 8

Haring 7

Mckay 8

Gordon 6

GMS 2

rest 5 and 6

Fans who boooed Souttar - minus infinity

Edited by i8hibsh

I was there tonight but if truth be told the past 7 years I have been a pretty shit fan but **** me booing our own player during a game is a step too far even for me.

I understand the reasons but ffs what the **** do you think that will achieve. Do that against a decent team and we will lose.

Gordon 7 solid with a couple of good saves 

smith 7 is he ever below a 7 guy is so consistent 

Souttar 7 glad the booing didn’t affect him, still sits uneasy with me booing a player wearing maroon, I don’t mind the criticism on hear but not sure about in the stadium but each to there Kane 

Halkett  7 solid. Not sure why subbed? 

Kingsley 7 composed on the ball & like him & Cochrane down that side 

Cochrane 7 grew into the game, needs to start more 

Devlin  8 thought he was gonna get his goal in front of his family, what he lacks in technique he makes up in spade breaking up play & winning the midfield battle 

Haring  9 what a turnaround for him absolutely delighted looked out of it now it’s hard it’s drop him when Beni is fit 

GMS 5 can’t work out why it’s not working for him he’s got all the attributes but just maybe no the application 

McKay 10 flawless passing & when he gets at defenders he’s so hard to stop deserves a goal 
Ginnelly 7/8 two goals gives him an 8 took them well, still not sure of his best position though maybe he needs a run in one position 

Moore 5 solid when he came on 

McEneff 5 did well game was dead 

Halliday 3 no time 

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I was there tonight but if truth be told the past 7 years I have been a pretty shit fan but **** me booing our own player during a game is a step too far even for me.

I understand the reasons but ffs what the **** do you think that will achieve. Do that against a decent team and we will lose.

👍

well said mate. 

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

:spoton:

20 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Slagging off an old lady is more your style eh !

You have zero right to criticise any supporter. 

28 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Correct, I will keep my booing until he is in a rangers top.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Don’t often agree with you but yes total embarrassment 

Well said

it was embarrassing 

real “fans” wouldn’t boo a player playing for us 

45 minutes ago, One five said:

Correct, I will keep my booing until he is in a rangers top.

Agree - it is Such a stupid thing to do 

Edited by Jambo 4 Ever

30 minutes ago, The Kdogg said:

GMS did so little tonight he was probably colder than that night he was found in the river. 

I defended him a wee bit earlier on in the season but I’m close to scunnered by him now. 

GMS was terrible, looking at the BBC player ratings, the only Hearts players to score less than GMS were Halliday (who was barely on the pitch) and Souttar (presumably some of the boo boys scoring him 0).

Agree 100%, never been one to boo any Hearts players, what does that ever achieve other than make things worse?

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Well said

it was embarrassing 

real “fans” wouldn’t boo a player playing for us 

The fans booing may well of been walk ups, doubtful non Hearts fans would turn up to Boo Souttar.

Real fans is so annoying, be more specific please.

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

GMS 6?

49 minutes ago, Dsjambo said:

Agree 100%, never been one to boo any Hearts players, what does that ever achieve other than make things worse?

The ones who boo are too simple minded to realise this 

Gordon - 7 Couple of good saves but distribution was shocking.

Souttar - 7 Usual stroller. Booing didn’t affect him.

Halkett - 7 They started winning headers when he went off. Dominant.

Kingsley - 7 Solid.

Smith - 8 Our best player first half but tired second.

Haring - 8 Controlled midfield and played nice passes.

Devlin - 7 Full of energy and broke up play.

Cochrane - 7 Defensively sound as usual.

McKay - 8 Motm. Two assists and technically the most gifted player at the club.

Ginnelly - 8 Movement was brilliant and nice finishes.

GMS - 5 Absolutely honking. Heart of a chicken. 

Moore - 5 

McEneff - 5 

Halliday - 4

I'm not happy about Souttar going to Rangers, but I'll never boo Hearts or any player who wears our beloved Maroon. 

When he goes to Rangers I'll bring a megaphone.

Gordon 8 Brilliant save for Ciftci swerved  shot.   Clean sheet. 

Smith 7

Cocrane 7

Souttar 5

Halket 7

Kingsley 7

Haring 7

Devlin 8

McKay 10

Ginelly 9

GMS 6

Moore 7

McEneff 5

Haliday 5

GMS did well enough as part of the team going forward.    Didn't score his chance so doesn’t make him look good apparently.   I thought the team as a whole did good work with possession with the obvious standouts McKay, Ginnelly getting us three points.   Gordon saving the clean sheet.   We have key players in the team but can still strengthen the Forward area and bench.   Beni still to come back which is a lift. 

It was a good match but St Johnstone are not getting away from that relegation area easy.    They got off with a two nil score.   Could have been more.    No doubt they will make the playoff and survive.   

Edited by HMFC01

9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Ginnelly 7

Devlin 8

Haring 7

Mckay 8

Gordon 6

GMS 2

rest 5 and 6

Fans who boooed Souttar - minus infinity

It got a bit tedious and pathetic after 30 minutes of it. 

GMS was piss as per usual, he needs launched asap.

Fwiw I'd give Souttar 6/10 he did ok all things considered.

9 hours ago, campbell said:

Gordon 7 solid with a couple of good saves 

smith 7 is he ever below a 7 guy is so consistent 

Souttar 7 glad the booing didn’t affect him, still sits uneasy with me booing a player wearing maroon, I don’t mind the criticism on hear but not sure about in the stadium but each to there Kane 

Halkett  7 solid. Not sure why subbed? 

Kingsley 7 composed on the ball & like him & Cochrane down that side 

Cochrane 7 grew into the game, needs to start more 

Devlin  8 thought he was gonna get his goal in front of his family, what he lacks in technique he makes up in spade breaking up play & winning the midfield battle 

Haring  9 what a turnaround for him absolutely delighted looked out of it now it’s hard it’s drop him when Beni is fit 

GMS 5 can’t work out why it’s not working for him he’s got all the attributes but just maybe no the application 

McKay 10 flawless passing & when he gets at defenders he’s so hard to stop deserves a goal 
Ginnelly 7/8 two goals gives him an 8 took them well, still not sure of his best position though maybe he needs a run in one position 

Moore 5 solid when he came on 

McEneff 5 did well game was dead 

Halliday 3 no time 

Drop McKay down to a 8.5/9 as I felt it took him 10-15 mins to get going. At first he seemed to just receive the ball and stop while he looked for a pass. I felt there were times during that time he could have at least tries to run at them however after is first run with the ball where he went past around 4/5 of them from our own half his game changed massively. It seemed to wake him up and he realised he had the beating of them quite easily

I would consider dropping souttar to a 6.5 he had a poor start. Overhit balls and his mistake that almost Les to a goal where ciftci? Tried to sort of lob Gordon. Once Kane came on it caused him more problems leading to his yellow and soon after he pushed/nudged one of their players in the back and after the free kick was given seemed to complain to the ref rather than wall away.

Oh and Kingsley -10 that free kick straight into the wall. Get rid, why did he get an extension.

Only joking Kingsley was the pick of our 3 CHs last night

9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I felt the clapping that started to try and drown out the booing prolonged it. At least from hearts TV it seemed like after 5-10 mins it was about to die out apart from a much smaller number who booed him at the beginning.

9 hours ago, H2 said:

Gordon - 7

Soutar - 7 

Halkett - 7 

Kingsley - 7 

Smith - 7

Devlin - 8 

Haring - 7 

Cochrane - 7

GMS - 4  

McKay - 9  
Ginnelly - 8 

These are the correct scores. 👍

Just now, milky_26 said:

I felt the clapping that started to try and drown out the booing prolonged it. At least from hearts TV it seemed like after 5-10 mins it was about to die out apart from a much smaller number who booed him at the beginning.

Don’t know if you saw it on Hearts tv bit when Scott Wilson read out the teams before the game, it went Gordon (everybody clapped), Smith (everybody clapped), Kingsley (everybody clapped) Souttar (very loud boo’s from around the ground), then as the rest of the team was read out, nothing, no claps, cheers, zero. As if everybody just forgot after booing Souttar. Was quite funny. 

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Don’t know if you saw it on Hearts tv bit when Scott Wilson read out the teams before the game, it went Gordon (everybody clapped), Smith (everybody clapped), Kingsley (everybody clapped) Souttar (very loud boo’s from around the ground), then as the rest of the team was read out, nothing, no claps, cheers, zero. As if everybody just forgot after booing Souttar. Was quite funny. 

Missed that. I do hope that those fans who wanted to boo him have got it out their systems now and for whatever remaining games the plays for us is sort of ignored while the rest of the team is supported

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Missed that. I do hope that those fans who wanted to boo him have got it out their systems now and for whatever remaining games the plays for us is sort of ignored while the rest of the team is supported

The more games he plays the less people will react imo. Away games might be worse for him, quite a young more partizan support. I still think he’ll be gone quite soon though.

10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Did you witness any good points worthy of comment?

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Just shows how petty some of our fans are

they would rather boo a player playing for us instead of cheering others who also play for us. Very sad 

Ford Prentice

There's another thread where the booing debate is in full flow. Best discussed there.

A wee bit surprised by some of the praise for Haring. Didn't think he had his best game, a lot of passes went astray especially longer passes when he tried to switch play. Got stuck in though. Was actually wondering if he's worrying about his future and it's affecting his decision making.

Broxburn Jambo
15 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

For the first time ever I think, I am in total agreement with you

Gordon - 7 - Couple of saves but was quiet day for him really.

Smith - 8 - He plays the wing back role in such an unorthodox way, almost like he has a free role. Was popping up at left wing and all sorts and getting involved in the one touch triangle passes as much as our attackers were. Better footballer than he gets credit for.

Souttar - 6 - Passed the ball about, kept it simple. Loses a mark for looking like a fish out of water when he was asked to play as the central stopper when Halkett went off.

Halkett - 7 - Done his job and forced May and Ciftci to play further away from our goal so that they could be further away from him.

Kingsley - 7 - Just a talented footballer with composure and a professional attitude. Strolled it defensively and did Cochranes job for him at times.

Cochrane - 6 - I still have no idea if I want to keep this lad or not. He's clearly got a good attitude, works hard for the team and has some natural talent. At the same time he seems to be taking an age to come out of his shell, plays within himself and has a tendency to look for the safest pass as soon as he gets the ball.

Devlin - 7 - Usual, got stuck in, wound up the opposition, kept possession and played with a smile. Cammy has a talent for tackling (yes, that is a thing) and to me it looked like he was getting much more involved further up the park than usual which we hopefully see more of.

Haring - 8 - Much like Devlin, Big Pete was getting himself into the final third much more than usual. Passed the ball around really well and made life difficult for the opposition at both ends of the park. Needs someone to put a cross infront of him when he breaks into the box. Some lovely slide tackles as well which you don't see enough of these days.

McKay - 9 - Gets better every week. He gets some really awkward passes given to him, often they come to him from 5 yards away at hip height with a defender right next to him and he just brings it down and moves it on with two touches. Awareness, ball control, passing, vision, pace and effort all on show from him last night.

Ginnelly - 8 - Great turn of pace he's got, even over five yards he can leave opposition centre halves for dust. Gave us the option of the ball in behind which seems to suit McKay down to the ground. Very composed finishes especially for the first goal, took it like a striker.

Mackay-Steven - 5 - Invisible, looked like the only player in the squad who couldn't deal with tight marking and 50/50 challenges. Often when he puts in one of those performances he pops up with a goal but didn't happen on this occasion.

Subs - 

McEneff is never a centre forward in a million years and was hung out to dry a bit. 

Moore slotted in and did his job well.

Halliday didn't really have much to do, the laddies must look at him coming on when we're 2-0 up with 10 mins to go and wonder what the point of being here is.

11 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Gordon - 7 - Couple of saves but was quiet day for him really.

Smith - 8 - He plays the wing back role in such an unorthodox way, almost like he has a free role. Was popping up at left wing and all sorts and getting involved in the one touch triangle passes as much as our attackers were. Better footballer than he gets credit for.

Souttar - 6 - Passed the ball about, kept it simple. Loses a mark for looking like a fish out of water when he was asked to play as the central stopper when Halkett went off.

Halkett - 7 - Done his job and forced May and Ciftci to play further away from our goal so that they could be further away from him.

Kingsley - 7 - Just a talented footballer with composure and a professional attitude. Strolled it defensively and did Cochranes job for him at times.

Cochrane - 6 - I still have no idea if I want to keep this lad or not. He's clearly got a good attitude, works hard for the team and has some natural talent. At the same time he seems to be taking an age to come out of his shell, plays within himself and has a tendency to look for the safest pass as soon as he gets the ball.

Devlin - 7 - Usual, got stuck in, wound up the opposition, kept possession and played with a smile. Cammy has a talent for tackling (yes, that is a thing) and to me it looked like he was getting much more involved further up the park than usual which we hopefully see more of.

Haring - 8 - Much like Devlin, Big Pete was getting himself into the final third much more than usual. Passed the ball around really well and made life difficult for the opposition at both ends of the park. Needs someone to put a cross infront of him when he breaks into the box. Some lovely slide tackles as well which you don't see enough of these days.

McKay - 9 - Gets better every week. He gets some really awkward passes given to him, often they come to him from 5 yards away at hip height with a defender right next to him and he just brings it down and moves it on with two touches. Awareness, ball control, passing, vision, pace and effort all on show from him last night.

Ginnelly - 8 - Great turn of pace he's got, even over five yards he can leave opposition centre halves for dust. Gave us the option of the ball in behind which seems to suit McKay down to the ground. Very composed finishes especially for the first goal, took it like a striker.

Mackay-Steven - 5 - Invisible, looked like the only player in the squad who couldn't deal with tight marking and 50/50 challenges. Often when he puts in one of those performances he pops up with a goal but didn't happen on this occasion.

Subs - 

McEneff is never a centre forward in a million years and was hung out to dry a bit. 

Moore slotted in and did his job well.

Halliday didn't really have much to do, the laddies must look at him coming on when we're 2-0 up with 10 mins to go and wonder what the point of being here is.

Agree with most of that, especially the Cochrane comments. There's lots to like about him but I feel he plays the safe pass far too often rather than taking responsibility to go forward. Mind you his pass completion stats will be right up there! 😉