Vyacheslav HLEB - remember him

Alec Eiffel

Anyone remember the furore around whether he was coming or not.  In 2007 he moved from MTZ-RIPO to Kaunus for a supposed move to Hearts but it never happened.  The younger brother of Arsenal's Aleks. 

He finished playing last year with Arsenal of Belarus.

5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Did we ever find out if he was actually any good?

Doesn’t matter, he will always be a Hearts legend. 🇱🇻

I don't think he ever went to Kaunas. MTZ-Ripo was Romanov's other club so we could have had him for free, or dirt cheap from them if we wanted. I used to sign him all the time on FM07 for that reason.

Certainly been about looking at his CV, albeit the most exotic names he played for is a lower league German team, and a Chinese club pre-money days. He did make 45 caps for Belarus though.

Wasn't there also rumours of him signing his brother at some point too? Albeit a bit pie in the sky considering he played in Champions League finals for Arsenal and Barcelona round about that time. 

7 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Anyone remember the furore around whether he was coming or not.  In 2007 he moved from MTZ-RIPO to Kaunus for a supposed move to Hearts but it never happened.  The younger brother of Arsenal's Aleks. 

Does that mean he's not coming?

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I seem to remember a story about him being pissed on a train. Or am I suffering from false memory syndrome? 

If you are, so am I (and I'm neither drunk nor drunk on a train).   :icon14:   

rudiatemyhamster

Pretty sure the Old Firm conspired to block his work permit.  Meanwhile they continue sign players across the world with impunity.

Remember we signed that Copil for like 100K was meant to be a superstar and on some list of 50 next up and coming footballers, I think he ended up going back to Romania  without Hearts even knowing 😂

Fitzroy Pointon

The days after we won the cup against Gretna, the Sun had a back page story that we were lining up an £8m bid for Eidur Gudjonssen :laugh:. He then signed for Barcelona. 

9 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

The days after we won the cup against Gretna, the Sun had a back page story that we were lining up an £8m bid for Eidur Gudjonssen :laugh:. He then signed for Barcelona. 

The amount of names of player and managers linked to Hearts at the time were crazy. 

4 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Remember we signed that Copil for like 100K was meant to be a superstar and on some list of 50 next up and coming footballers, I think he ended up going back to Romania  without Hearts even knowing 😂

And then we had Kostadinov and were very headily excited by his prospects too. Those were the days...

The case that still annoys me was Gogea (not a clue how to spell or pronounce it). Not good enough for a work permit, yet shortly after comes on as a sub at Hampden and runs the Scottish defence a merry dance and is clearly a level above any of the Scottish players. 
This would be about the time Rod Petrie was deciding on players getting the permits. And also around the time of Jason Scotland’s permit being delayed, to Hibs advantage. 

37 minutes ago, redjambo said:

And then we had Kostadinov and were very headily excited by his prospects too. Those were the days...

That was the other name I was looking for the two of them were meant to be huge in the future 

12 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

The amount of names of player and managers linked to Hearts at the time were crazy. 

Sir Bobby Robson.  :notworthy:

13 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

44 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Sir Bobby Robson.  :notworthy:

Claudio ranieri as well.

And, apparently, ruud gullit. 

Edited by superjack

On 28/12/2021 at 12:26, iantjambo said:

Did we ever find out if he was actually any good?

He was always worth getting on Football Manager, at least in the 06-08 versions.

Did anyone remember the Arsenal v Barcelona Champions League final, where Arsenal lost one-nil. In the post-match interview Thierry Henry absolutely laid into (his older brother) Hleb for the lack of service. Given the moment, the size of the prize - I always remember that one as being a wee bit below the belt. Maybe his younger brother was scared that Ibrahim Tall would give him a similar bollocking.

Come to think of it, where is Ibrahim Tall?

Ahhh how nostalgic..the Hleb saga must have banged on for about 3 or 4 seasons in a row? No? every window we seemed to be linked to him, I actually thought it was bound to happen at some point (the sucker that I was) but the question is was he actually any good? I remember that he was a striker and that's about it much like Garry O'Connor thing it was never going to be.

:sadrobbo:

6 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I'm still raging we never signed Gogita Gogua in 2007 as well, just thought I would get that off my chest.

I mentioned it earlier. Deal scuppered by Rod Petrie who wouldn’t give him a permit. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

I mentioned it earlier. Deal scuppered by Rod Petrie who wouldn’t give him a permit. 

We could have been the perfect match 😭

3616715B-F11E-4F59-B18A-450C7FFFED35.jpeg

Edited by GlasgoJambo
Still playing

20 hours ago, redjambo said:

Branimir Kostadinov is still playing with Ludogorets B in the Bulgarian 2nd tier.  Only managed one Bulgarian U21 cap.

10 hours ago, Deodato said:

Did anyone remember the Arsenal v Barcelona Champions League final, where Arsenal lost one-nil. In the post-match interview Thierry Henry absolutely laid into (his older brother) Hleb for the lack of service. Given the moment, the size of the prize - I always remember that one as being a wee bit below the belt. Maybe his younger brother was scared that Ibrahim Tall would give him a similar bollocking.

Come to think of it, where is Ibrahim Tall?

Retired last summer it seems.

7B292B1A-AFFC-4CC7-8D75-39E8EA424CAF.png

8 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Retired last summer it seems.

7B292B1A-AFFC-4CC7-8D75-39E8EA424CAF.png

Always thought Tall was a decent player...I hope Kostadinov's brother did a career in PR as he was great at it! 

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Always thought Tall was a decent player...I hope Kostadinov's brother did a career in PR as he was great at it! 

Annoying little *****?

43 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

That at least had some reason as DoF because of Fireworks Phil? 😀

Hi, D.  👍

Long time no speak, how’re you doing over there?

Happy New Year when it comes.

On 28/12/2021 at 07:18, Alec Eiffel said:

Just a rumour.

Certain kbers on here got overly excited with Copil, Kostadinov, Rapnik? etc only to go soft rather quickly.

Edited by Lfhearts

jamboinglasgow
On 29/12/2021 at 13:25, Tazio said:

The case that still annoys me was Gogea (not a clue how to spell or pronounce it). Not good enough for a work permit, yet shortly after comes on as a sub at Hampden and runs the Scottish defence a merry dance and is clearly a level above any of the Scottish players. 
This would be about the time Rod Petrie was deciding on players getting the permits. And also around the time of Jason Scotland’s permit being delayed, to Hibs advantage. 

It was such a bad system for work permits. If Rod Petrie was part of the decision making process then that is shameful. One of the reasons why the SFA (or at least the regulatory side of it) should be independent.