VAR

Alec Eiffel

Will make little difference if introduced in Scotland as has been demonstrated in England today definate sending offs and penalty decisions are over-rulrd.ignored by the referee/video officials.

In Scotland if referres are used to run the VAR bias decisions will continue to be  supported.

The wipe out of Newcastle's Fraser was a clear penalty in front of the referee but neither he nor VAR thought so.

August Landmesser

The negatives far out weigh the positives. VAR is entirely an invention of the TV football age, where decisions are subject to repeated and microscopic scrutiny on Monday Night Football or whatever. Recent VAR incidents have shown that incompetent officials will still make 'honest mistakes', but now all the joy, and spontaneity has been taken out of the game, and for what?

**** VAR.

4 OF refs on the pitch.

A couple more in the VAR room.

Nothing will change in Scotland. In fact, things will get worse as every other team will be brought up on every little thing whilst the ugly sisters sail off into the distance.

Failed miserably in England today where the VAR official refers the Andy Robertson tackle be reviewed, and is upgraded to ref, rightly so. Harry Kane's equally bad tackle is not referred for review.

Bewildering incompetence/inconsistent or just bent because one is the England captain

15 minutes ago, Cade said:

4 OF refs on the pitch.

Nothing will change in Scotland. In fact, things will get worse as every other team will be brought up on every little thing whilst the ugly sisters sail off into the distance.

unfortunately I think your right. Tonight’s games in the EPL were shocking. Shows it’s open to abuse which as we know to well will be the case up here. Just more arse cheek officials orchestrating the circus.

VAR in Scotland will be as selective as the Compliance Officer.

Those running the show have little interest in league fairness and the TV deal is very much Old Firm orientated so no chance of things improving.

Nothing may change but the fact there is footage available and continues to show bias towards the uglies it may make refs at least try and be less obvious. 

Even if it got the offside goal against us at parkhead it would be worth it. 

We all know the refs bli k as Robbie says but having it available to all for every top game has to highlight the bias even more. 

13 hours ago, Cade said:

4 OF refs on the pitch.

This is what I can see happening. Goal line technology, Yes. VAR, a big fat No. Our corrupt game will just get worse.

jambo-in-furness

At least MOTD are calling the referees for what they are,  especially the ones watching the VAR replays.

Can you see that up in Scotland,  nope, not a chance in hell.

avhudtheteeshirt

Loved the comment on Match of the Day, "Englishman gets let off, Scotsman get red card? It could end up needing a referendum"!!!!

VAR

Another way to rake in money from Sport, take away the emphasise on the lack of unbiased quality Match Officials  VAR is not the answer to Scottish footballs socially manipulated Referees etc , only encourages more debates and adds time to the match due to the amount of replays watched during a game.  Would it of given Us some breaks probably, it would give others a lot more though. A no for me until all is level and fair, even then it would be redundant. Be no need for it if we had the correct system to choose who becomes a graded Referee in Scotland. The West coast bias has run rife through the decades, when i say west coast i mean Referees who have an agenda against non OF clubs.

VAR is a waste of time. 

Mistakes are still being made.

Football, especially outwith top 5 leagues, don't have the money to throw it away on something that ain't working.

I'm actually quite surprised the bigots haven't teamed up on VAR and offered to pay for it . . . You know, for the good of the game and all that 😀

IveSeenTheLight

Not just in game scenarios, but I wouldn’t be surprised if VAR was used to send off key men before up coming games against the cheeks

SectionDJambo
3 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I'm actually quite surprised the bigots haven't teamed up on VAR and offered to pay for it . . . You know, for the good of the game and all that 😀

You mean to make sure that those pesky borderline decisions that go against them are evened out between them?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 hours ago, jambo-in-furness said:

At least MOTD are calling the referees for what they are,  especially the ones watching the VAR replays.

There will be a huge chance in hell if VAR is shown to favour one arse cheek over the other.

It won’t be perfect but it will increase scrutiny, pressure and transparency. 

The refs in Scotland want it - I think that says a lot. They want some of the arsehole arse cheek pressure off them.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

If we had changed the ****ing voting structure when we had the chance we could have insisted that VAR refs were, for example, English based.

We really were a set of pussies.

jambo-in-furness
32 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

There will be a huge chance in hell if VAR is shown to favour one arse cheek over the other.

It won’t be perfect but it will increase scrutiny, pressure and transparency. 

The refs in Scotland want it - I think that says a lot. They want some of the arsehole arse cheek pressure off them.

Saying they want it,  and wanting it could be entirely different.

imagine what people would think if they said they were against it.

15 hours ago, jambo-in-furness said:

Exactly, Shearer and Co ripping the refs a new ar5eh0le and rightly so!! 

I'm still unsure about whether introducing VAR would be a good thing. But the two decisions in the Spurs Liverpool game and the Fraser penalty incident in the Newcastle Man City game were not really about VAR - they were simply a case of dreadful decision-making by officials whether on the pitch or in a VAR studio. 

Ex member of the SaS

I would be OK with the current working of VAR but unless they are policed independently up here, I doubt it would make any difference.

PS: it would work ok in favour of the Glasgow teams when used against the rest.

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

23 hours ago, jambo-in-furness said:

Exactly this.

InternationalJambo

Completely understand the sentiment in regards to folk not wanting it cos it’ll be skewed one way regardless but anything to give us at least a chance of a fair shout in matches against the OF is welcomed in my view. They get away with such glaring errors that it’ll need to be brought to attention with VAR otherwise it’d be far too obvious. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

24 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

VAR will put more scrutiny and attention on the referees.

Questions like 'why are they all from the West' could start to be asked. 

Its a question the club should already be asking very loudly. 

2 hours ago, D4nny_ said:

Let the viewers hear the refs like they do in rugby. That’ll show exactly how corrupt the game really is! 

Great shout.

I have always believed in this, too.

On 20/12/2021 at 15:55, John Findlay said:

Is not the answer until there is a complete overhaul of the system for picking Grade 1 referees here in Scotland.

There are no answers required whilst the football authorities rigidly support what the status quo is.

To fix something, you have to first acknowledge that it’s broken. That’s never going to happen

I bet there would be plenty of solid citizens in Glasgow and Lanarkshire who would volunteer to be VAR officials.

Another significant advantage for two clubs.

3 hours ago, D4nny_ said:

Let the viewers hear the refs like they do in rugby. That’ll show exactly how corrupt the game really is! 

Hibs v Aberdeen ...

Linesman to ref: "Did you see that deliberate kick?"

Ref to linesman: "Naw."

4th Official: "Neither did I"

Linesman: "But he hauled the player down then kicked him!"

Ref: "Play on"

Linesman: "Oh, alright then."

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

Hibs v Aberdeen ...

Linesman to ref: "Did you see that deliberate kick?"

Ref to linesman: "Naw."

4th Official: "Neither did I"

Linesman: "But he hauled the player down then kicked him!"

Ref: "Play on"

Linesman: "Oh, alright then."

Non stater when you put it like that :rofl: 

9 hours ago, D4nny_ said:

Yup.  Completely agree.

If VAR is introduced to Scotland, it will only be VAR lite; a couple of officials in a van parked outside the ground!  You can just imagine if they attempted to call a decision against one of the uglies parked outside!  There would be hordes running out the ground looking for the van.

In the EPL, they certainly do name the VAR officials.  Do you see that happening in Scotland?  I don't think so.

Seymour M Hersh

VAR is not the problem as everyone should (by this time know) it's filings are entirely down to the parameters the individual FA's set for it to be used and the people adjudication the videos. I would predict, if ever used in Scotland, that it would be an utter shit-fest because of the two reasons previously stated. 

Ex member of the SaS

How about a flag system like American football, the Manager has a yellow cloth and he throws it onto the pitch when every he wants VAR reviewed. There could be a limit to the number used in a game to stop frivolous use.

Malinga the Swinga

The use of VAR again ****ing up in England. No penalty for arsenal when obvious mistake by ref, then penalty for Man city when Silva already falling before anyone touches him.

It isn't VAR at fault, it's the pathetic officials who see what they want, when they want.

I can only see more decisions for old firm with the bias of our officials. 

VAR decisions today were terrible!

Ref should have booked Man City player for diving.  VAR gave him a penalty.  Still a clear dive and VAR has just told him to keep on doing it!

I have absolutely no doubt that Celtic will still get everything!😍

fabienleclerq

Silva was a penalty, the guy is still holding his shirt while using his other arm to say its not a pen! 

Odegaard I could see it being one but I think he actually stands on edersons foot, edersons possibly touched the ball too. 

56 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Silva was a penalty, the guy is still holding his shirt while using his other arm to say its not a pen! 

Odegaard I could see it being one but I think he actually stands on edersons foot, edersons possibly touched the ball too. 

Not arguing that he was holding his shirt.  I said it was a 'clear dive' and it was. 

If he had been holding his shirt properly he could have stopped him mid dive and stood him up again😍

We need to stop this nonsense of diving for minimal contact and VAR failed today.  Funnily enough, it reminded me of Shaun Maloney!!

Odegaard was a clear penalty as goalie has no contact with ball whatsoever, and Watford should have had one too

Opinions eh?😍

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, a11ank said:

Not arguing that he was holding his shirt.  I said it was a 'clear dive' and it was. 

If he had been holding his shirt properly he could have stopped him mid dive and stood him up again😍

We need to stop this nonsense of diving for minimal contact and VAR failed today.  Funnily enough, it reminded me of Shaun Maloney!!

Odegaard was a clear penalty as goalie has no contact with ball whatsoever, and Watford should have had one too

Opinions eh?😍

I suppose the issue is if silva doesn't go down he wouldn't of had a penalty,which obviously it was. So that again falls on the refs/var to give. 

Nelly Terraces

If people think VAR has been dealt with badly in England then wait to see how dire it will be in Scotland. Literally EVERY aspect of football is handled shambolically & amateurishly, including the standard of the officiating which is chronically below what it should be.

Essentially what you'll be doing is giving technology to idiots who don't know how to use it. It'll be a disaster & of course you can only ever see it benefitting 2 clubs as a bloke from.the West of Scotland sits in an office somewhere in Glasgow backing the bent & shit decisions given in their favour by one of his West of Scotland mates on the pitch. 

VAR can GTF.

If/when it's introduced here, it will only serve to benefit the OF. They'll both be wise to that. They'll be awarded penalties from corners and set pieces on a regular basis as their players will try and manipulate any possible contact. We already know the refs give them anything they can. 

As for yesterday, I actually thought both decisions were correct. It looked to me as if both players make contact with each other (with Ederson playing the ball) on the first and the second was clearly a foul as Silva had beat his man and was kicked and pulled. He sells it, but that doesn't stop it being a penalty.

Chillidigits

Sit down and ask yourself a question " Would I want to be a football referee" ?

I did it a couple of minutes ago . The answer was no.

Drew Wallace
1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

Sit down and ask yourself a question " Would I want to be a football referee" ?

I did it a couple of minutes ago . The answer was no.

Get  a  hefty wage for there toil take away any hassle me thinks