US Tornados

JFK-1

Death toll rising, probably over 100 including a baby. Tornados are unusual this time of year, the tornado season is spring/summer. And clusters of tornados as this outbreak produced even rarer. Rarer this time of year that is.

A peculiar thing about it is that days producing tornados have become less frequent in recent decades. Around 100 days a year compared to around 150 days in the 1970's. But these 100 days produce more tornados because clusters of around 5 or 6 or more have become much more common. This outbreak created clusters that crossed 4 states in 4 hours and touched 6 states in total.

In Oklahoma I have noticed warnings seem to have become more frequent. The sirens go off, weather radios go off if you have one. They're loud, after some loud horrid screeching sound it's a robotic voice waking you up telling you the apocalypse is nigh and that's annoying in the middle of the night. Now it looks as if there may be no tornado season. All year round clusters.

dobmisterdobster

America has all these crazy natural disasters. Tornados in the Midwest, Hurricanes in the south and Earthquakes on the west coast.

The entire state of Florida is dissolving into the sea, as the bedrock is just Limestone. 

The entire west coast catches fire every summer.

Midwest is tornado alley, which with global warming will only get more intense and unpredictable.

California may slip into the sea if a giant earthquake hits.

North East blizzards will only keep getting worse.

And to top it all off, the titanic Yellowstone Caldera is filling, with parts of the national park rising by several centimetres per year. When that thing blows it'll be a global catastrophe.

Edited by Cade

56 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Meanwhile Alex Jones is blaming them on Biden's weather machines

And the westboro Baptist church are blaming homosexually. 

highlandjambo3

Unsurprisingly I’d imagine a fair few deaths were  “thrill jockeys” out filming the disaster at the time……..it’s what (some) Americans get a buzz from…….storm chasers is a program that springs to mind.

I watched a few interviews on the news last night, one woman heard the warnings but generally the follow up is less severe than this one.  It hit her house she was hugging her children and they were carried on the wind for a good distance before being dropped.Her house was demolished. She said warnings were regular occurrences and they took the normal actions but this incident was exceptional. What to me is difficult to appreciate that each vastly damaged property was only under siege for literally seconds but was totally demolished. I have never experienced anything even remotely compared to this, but I suspect even if I had not wanted to move, my wife would not have wanted to live in one of these high risk areas. To look at film of the devastation, and the totals of loss of life with such horror induced by nature, man, us, are still working at building bombs with greater power to cause greater property damage and loss of life.

Maybe the US (or affected states/counties) will impose proper building regulations.

You always see on the news that people take shelter in schools or local government offices, as those are substantial, brick-built structures.

Most houses in the USA are wooden frameworks with plasterboard walls.

Then they wonder why they keep getting turned into matchsticks every time there is a tornado or hurricane.

I mean, perhaps building everything out of bricks might help.

There's even a children's tale about three little pigs that might help.

dobmisterdobster
15 minutes ago, Cade said:

Maybe the US (or affected states/counties) will impose proper building regulations.

You always see on the news that people take shelter in schools or local government offices, as those are substantial, brick-built structures.

Then they wonder why they keep getting turned into matchsticks every time there is a tornado or hurricane.

Bricks are just as susceptible to damage from natural disasters, especially earthquakes.

Survivability is another reason. I would rather take my chances being buried under wooden debris than bricks.

Central Belt 1874
7 hours ago, Cade said:

Have a close look at the devastating pictures from Mayfield. Brick and steel structures demolished/flattened by these tornadoes.

I'm pretty sure I seen one of the states governors saying no building could have survived a direct hit. 

Edited by Central Belt 1874

2 hours ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Have a close look at the devastating pictures from Mayfield. Brick and steel structures demolished/flattened by these tornadoes.

I'm pretty sure I seen one of the states governors saying no building could have survived a direct hit. 

I saw a post on Twitter when they started saying that the speed of the wind at the top of the main tornado was the fastest ever recorded at over 280mph. That is impossible to comprehend. 

Nothing but an underground shelter will save you from the largest tornados. They will level a brick building like a typical house right down to the foundations. This is a force that strips the tarmac from roads as it travels. Unstoppable.

The first big one to hit Oklahoma after I came here hit the town of Moore on May 20, 2013 just a year after I arrived. It hit a school and this school was solidly built of concrete and steel. This is a before and after photo of the concrete and steel school.

moore-school-2013-tornado.jpg