English Non-League Football Players

Alec Eiffel

Watching the highlights from the FA Cup, it was noticeable that there are a few decent players with English Non-League clubs.  Is it poor scouting on behalf of Scottish clubs or are players from the large population centres of Greater London, Greater Manchester and the Midlands uninterested in leaving part-time football and a move out of their comfort zone?  

Might be the same reason that some players prefer playing part time in Scotland. Part time money supplementing a decent full time wage can be more than playing full time for one of the smaller clubs. 

League 2 and below down south is a weird thing...

Some obviously decent players but some absolute dross as well 

On the flip side there's been some reasonable spl players moved down and totally flopped.

I think your point about being part time and having other jobs probably makes a lot of sense for many of them.

Particularly for those in the affluent south, as they'll have other jobs, homes and families to support. Probably not worth the risk unless a big club came calling.

2 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Watching the highlights from the FA Cup, it was noticeable that there are a few decent players with English Non-League clubs.  Is it poor scouting on behalf of Scottish clubs or are players from the large population centres of Greater London, Greater Manchester and the Midlands uninterested in leaving part-time football and a move out of their comfort zone?  

I don't know, remember how shit Stockton was, now he's scoring for fun in League 1. Maybe the standard 2 levels down from there is low enough that fairly average players stand out?

Leveins Battalion

Kyle Wooton and Joe Sbarra are 2 far too good for that level,Hudlin at Solihull gets talked up but watched him lots of times and don’t see it.

1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

League 2 and below down south is a weird thing...

Some obviously decent players but some absolute dross as well 

On the flip side there's been some reasonable spl players moved down and totally flopped.

I think your point about being part time and having other jobs probably makes a lot of sense for many of them.

Particularly for those in the affluent south, as they'll have other jobs, homes and families to support. Probably not worth the risk unless a big club came calling.

Good assessment. 

And for every Jamie Vardy there are a hundred Cole Stockton’s. 

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Loads of quality players in Non League down here.

Clubs aren’t interested in Scotland though sadly.

Clearly clubs can profit from recruiting within Non League but turn their nose up at it. 

4 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Loads of quality players in Non League down here.

Clubs aren’t interested in Scotland though sadly.

Clearly clubs can profit from recruiting within Non League but turn their nose up at it. 

Not sure about "loads". Perhaps a handful and even then it would depend on their attitude etc

Still worth a look but would probably come under the 'project' umbrella.

And I assume you meant the players aren't interested in Scotland as it is up to them where they go. I am sure the clubs are interested in our money!

There are hundreds of non league players that on their day are as good as anyone. 

The main point is "on their day".  If you watch these guys play week in week out you see it a mile off, hence the reason they mostly stay non league. 

Consistency is key 👍

• 5 months later...
Jambo 4 Ever
On 09/12/2021 at 07:10, Leveins Battalion said:

Kyle Wooton and Joe Sbarra are 2 far too good for that level,Hudlin at Solihull gets talked up but watched him lots of times and don’t see it.

Should sign Kyle Hudlin and he can head a few goals in 

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

6 foot 9 😳

3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

No idea who he was so googled him and can see you are a tad late to that party....nexxxxt....

Nookie Bear

Every time i've watched english non-league football it's pretty clear that the standard is very poor in comparison to the SPL.

Maybe one or two stand out - yes, we all know Jamie Vardy - but gems will be hard to find.

On 09/12/2021 at 07:03, Smithee said:

I don't know, remember how shit Stockton was, now he's scoring for fun in League 1. Maybe the standard 2 levels down from there is low enough that fairly average players stand out?

That is it in a nut shell for me

Having watched the non league play offs I was pretty impressed with John McAtee at Grimsby. Midfielder who could pick a pass, looked comfortable on the ball and had an eye for goal. Difficult to gauge properly playing at that level but there are definitely players in the non league that are much better than that level.