Xmas dinner

Greedy Jambo

What is your perfect xmas dinner?

personally, bread sauce and cranberry sauce can bolt, a decent gravy all day long. 

Parsnips... meh. 

3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

personally, bread sauce and cranberry sauce can bolt, a decent gravy all day long. 

Parsnips... meh. 

No pot noodles.

Fxxx the SPFL
7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Parsnips... meh. 

What about Turkey, roast tatties, sprouts, stuffing 😂 

Is Turkey better than Chicken though? We all get Turkey... but is it really better? i'm not so sure,

What about Yorkshire puddings? do they belong in an xmas dinner? probably not. 

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Turkey is shite.

Would rather have mince and tatties.

Had beef last year...

I'm going for a 5 Bird Roast this year, Turkey, pheasant, Chicken, Duck & Wild Wood Pidgeon.

Accompanied by deep fried Sprouts & French Fries.

Carl Fredrickson

Not a fan of turkey, much prefer chicken. Normally have a steak pie, tatties (roast & mash), veg, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. 

Getting a gammon this year and it will be cooked in a slow cooker with coca cola for a few hours, drained and then out back in with loads of honey and pineapple. Yumyum

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hope this isn't the 'What did you last Google' cross over post. 

No, that was last year. Haven't recovered yet.

Turkey is not good.  Sprouts are wonderful and deserve a thread of their own, imo.

A good filet is the choice here.

As long as there is a salmon starter, a good steak dish in the middle and a classic dessert, we’re sorted.

A good Spanish red is our wine.  And a few Torres 10.

Салатные палочки
34 minutes ago, Locky said:

Chinese. With all the trimmings.

I'm waiting for the year where we don't get invited somewhere and we can just get a Chinese on Christmas day. 

3 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I'm waiting for the year where we don't get invited somewhere and we can just get a Chinese on Christmas day. 

That was literally me with my ex. :lol: 

Every year I just wanted a Christmas doing **** all and get a Chinese and she'd drag me up to her Mum and Dads. Cow.

11 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I totally get that. 

I used to have to go to the other sides family's house on boxing day and STAY THE NIGHT!

Fecking gammon with peaches n shit, every year. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Turkey is pish, chicken is far too "everyday".

If you want fowl, go Goose.

The fat from it makes the best roasties in the universe.

I am partial to a huge rib roast of beef on Xmas day though. 

Major centrepiece.

The_razors_edge

I’m going Mexican this year - Fajitas, enchiladas, quesadillas, Mexican rice etc. Bring your own sombrero though 👍🏻

I will be attempting a Beef Wellington. 

Never done it before. Not even going to practice. Just going to follow Gordon Ramsays youtube video.

46 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I will be attempting a Beef Wellington. 

Never done it before. Not even going to practice. Just going to follow Gordon Ramsays youtube video.

Invest a tenner in a decent quick read digital meat thermometer. I’ve found top chefs videos always underestimate cooking time. Jamie Oliver being a particular culprit. 

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Invest a tenner in a decent quick read digital meat thermometer. I’ve found top chefs videos always underestimate cooking time. Jamie Oliver being a particular culprit. 

It's probably just more to do with the heat of your oven. 

My oven at 170 is more like 200. 

A Boy Named Crow

Decent seafood platter, must include rawns, scallops, oysters, lobster tails, calamari etc, prepared and served by a harbour front restaurant.

You can ram your winter Christmases up your Kevin Carter 😁

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Rawns. Sea what you did there? 

Personally don’t mind Xmas dinner with all the trimmings - but would settle for a decent meal of any sort tbh. Not fussed. 

Christmas always used to be the same bird done the same old boring way but in recent years, the introduction of a ham shank has made it a much more pleasurable experience.

For the sides, a heroic amount of roast potatoes cooked in the turkey fat, Sprouts but only cooked with chestnuts and bacon lardons (as per Greedy Jambos picture), pigs with blankets, stuffing.

Anything else is non essential.

31 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Christmas always used to be the same bird done the same old boring way but in recent years, the introduction of a ham shank has made it a much more pleasurable experience.

For the sides, a heroic amount of roast potatoes cooked in the turkey fat, Sprouts but only cooked with chestnuts and bacon lardons (as per Greedy Jambos picture), pigs with blankets, stuffing.

futurama___disgust_me_go_on.thumb.jpg.e1e5603f00e3c0c80d1b1bc279ec2282.jpg

A Boy Named Crow
2 hours ago, Costanza said:

There's nothing one can say to that first paragraph,  other than...

:oohmatron:

A Boy Named Crow
3 hours ago, Angry Haggis said:

Rawns. Sea what you did there? 

Personally don’t mind Xmas dinner with all the trimmings - but would settle for a decent meal of any sort tbh. Not fussed. 

Ha, dosey typing...

Dennis Reynolds

Not had turkey in years. Had lamb last year which was superb. Beef the year before I think. Wife has mentioned Venison so will pick that up this year I think!

13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm going all out this year like, splashing the cash...

344299-snowball-4x113ml-lemonade-advocat--lime.jpg

Had a couple of these last night and some hot mulled wine. Luvly jubbly. 

I love Xmas dinner, as long as it's a good quality turkey and not overcooked. And have to have all the trimmings.

We always have Xmas dinner at the in-laws, and I enjoy cooking so always do it (that, and the MIL tends to overcook meat...). We've got into the habit after the bad winter a few years ago of getting an extra turkey breast joint for the freezer at home "just in case". So me and my wife now have another Xmas dinner in Feb/Mar time as well. And very good it is then too.

Free range turkey from the next door farm deep fried in peanut oil in my Bayou Classic. Don't tell my cardiologist.

Aaaargh thought we had all angles covered ,? 

then you gits come come up with a curry idea, I’ve tried to talk about this ,hinting it sounds the way forward? Now I’m banned from food shopping until January,you lucky bar stewards , boo, just booo

22 hours ago, Tazio said:

This is a good shout.  Did beef wellie a couple of years ago, and the inner section was virtually dripping blood. Took the shine off it a bit as I pretty much nailed the rest of it!

3 hours ago, maggieb said:

Aaaargh thought we had all angles covered ,? 

then you gits come come up with a curry idea, I’ve tried to talk about this ,hinting it sounds the way forward? Now I’m banned from food shopping until January,you lucky bar stewards , boo, just booo

fun fact in japan it is now traditional to have a KFC for their christmas dinner

34 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I hope you wash yer hands after yer ham shank.

Don’t be daft.

The smell is better than having a Lifebouy on your Palmolive.

On 05/12/2021 at 08:20, Der Kaiser said:

futurama___disgust_me_go_on.thumb.jpg.e1e5603f00e3c0c80d1b1bc279ec2282.jpg

It's revitalised Xmas for me. Presenting that pink meat as long as it's not too dry, is a stand out addition to proceedings and everyone gobbles it down happily at the xmas table.

Apologies, have turned into Fat Harry White here (one for the teenagers there).