Jump to content

Your favourite pudding/dessert


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

 

It's in her book 

The filthy minx :cat:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
5 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Same here, I actually tried making SAC once from memory, was OK but not as nice as the school stuff. There must've been loads of schools in Edinburgh with identical menus back in the day. Doughnut and jam sauce was probably 3rd favourite dessert at our primary.

 

At our primary a P7 "server" would go to the hatch and get a tray with food for 8 people and then serve 7 younger kids by dividing it out. With certain meals you could skim a fraction off each portion and end up with a massive helping for yourself. I remember once nobody else wanted cabbage (veggies were very much the devil's work to a kid in those days) so I got the whole tray of 8 servings to myself. **** knows how or why I managed to eat it all myself.

 

Back on topic - rhubarb crumble and custard for me, with an honourable mention for a proper cheesecake.

I hated that, doughnut with a vile red sauce.

Your school had the same set up as mine... Craiglockhart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
otterjohn
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

One of my favourite school dinner puddings. That and the the one with the caramel and chocolate sprinkles, or the stuff with syrupy cornflakes on top. All with custard, of course.

Did your school make chocolate custard

Link to post
Share on other sites
Rupert Pupkin

Syrup Sponge with Madagascan Vanilla custard... 😋😋😋

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
2 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Did your school make chocolate custard

I think I can remember it the odd time.  We definitely got pink raspberry(?) stuff which was nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Strawberries, black pepper a good dash of Jack Daniels and vanilla ice cream.

No feckin wonder your bahooky is blown apart.  🤷🏿‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

No feckin wonder your bahooky is blown apart.  🤷🏿‍♂️

 

It's delicious mon ami.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

 

It's delicious mon ami.

The pudding, or your bahooky?

 

:biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
highlandjambo3
47 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Strawberries, black pepper a good dash of Jack Daniels and vanilla ice cream.

Interesting…….I’ll need to give that a go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sitting in a Italian restaurant just now and can confidently say afogatto will be for dessert. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
otterjohn
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I think I can remember it the odd time.  We definitely got pink raspberry(?) stuff which was nice.

Blamanche

Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo

Not sure I can come up with a definitive answer but cherry cheesecake, or choclate cake are both well in the mix.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Japan Jambo
31 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

 

It's delicious mon ami.

 

sounds intriguing - I presume that would work well with a peaty whisky isn't of that JD rubbish?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Japan Jambo
19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m sitting in a Italian restaurant just now and can confidently say afogatto will be for dessert. 

 

:rofl: Mrs JJ has that for coffee and a Tiramisu  

Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
39 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

 

sounds intriguing - I presume that would work well with a peaty whisky isn't of that JD rubbish?

 

Only had it with JD in a cracking pub / restaurants called The Pheasant near Heathrow Airport. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JimKongUno
On 24/11/2021 at 17:22, otterjohn said:

Apple Strudel from German Market with Black Forest Cream

 

I think you could be onto something here, a proper German strudel is hard to beat on a winters night

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

 

:rofl: Mrs JJ has that for coffee and a Tiramisu  

Ice cream and espresso.  :sweeet:

 

Tiramisu.  :sweeet:

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
On 24/11/2021 at 18:02, Konrad von Carstein said:

Not that into puddings, prefer a cheeseboard, however, when I was a bairn school dinners often had something called  Swedish Apple Charlotte and another called caramel tart (millionaires shortbread in today's money)with custard, went mental for those... Nowadays STP with custard and/or vanilla ice cream or any crumble with the same accompaniment.

If you like cheese, then you have to buy these. Just polished the lot off in the last couple of days.

Cheese Selection…£9

Toasts…£2.50 a box

 

All at M&S

😋😋😋
 

 

B318D218-43ED-479B-AA54-22A3B796DF12.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta
Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Key Lime pie.

This for me

 

30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Ice cream and espresso.  :sweeet:

 

 

I do this all the time, superb

Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

If you like cheese, then you have to buy these. Just polished the lot off in the last couple of days.

Cheese Selection…£9

Toasts…£2.50 a box

 

All at M&S

😋😋😋

👍

We were talking about going to M&S for some "fancy"  bits and bobs for Xmas break... Cheese was mentioned :)

Will have a look.

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

👍

We were talking about going to M&S for some "fancy"  bits and bobs for Xmas break... Cheese was mentioned :)

Will have a look.

It’s really good, love my cheese. Too many of these packs have the bog standard cheddar, not this one. I was recommended it by a pal. Whilst I was at the checkout, the woman at the till held it up and asked if I’d had it, she then proceeded to have a When Harry Met Sally moment about my cheese🤣🤣🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns

Cheesecake is the one dessert I can never resist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Creme Brulee - is a thing of beauty, especially when done properly by someone (preferably French) who knows what they are doing

 

My gran's sherry trifle. I could, and have, eaten the entire bowl before. Simple, but brilliant. Found her recipe after she passed, still can't quite replicate it. 

Mention in dispatches for Black Forest Gateau...

Edited by trotter
Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It’s really good, love my cheese. Too many of these packs have the bog standard cheddar, not this one. I was recommended it by a pal. Whilst I was at the checkout, the woman at the till held it up and asked if I’d had it, she then proceeded to have a When Harry Met Sally moment about my cheese🤣🤣🤣

:lol:

Sounds good, what's the description on the box, will have a shufty for it.

We got a cheese from there "Epoiesse" a few times a bit like a camambert, utterly delicious :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:lol:

Sounds good, what's the description on the box, will have a shufty for it.

We got a cheese from there "Epoiesse" a few times a bit like a camambert, utterly delicious :)

Waitrose and Sainsbury’s do it too.

 

I could die a happy man if I were locked in…IJ Mellis

 

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/dairy-all-cheese/haute-fromagerie-cheese-selection-pack-400g

Link to post
Share on other sites
otterjohn

Crannachan is fantastic

My Son in Law got a great recipe from the lady that owns the 3 Chimneys restuarant on Skye 

I think he overdid the whisky and I felt pushed afterceatingbit but it was delicious with lots of clotted cream

This has turned into one of my favorite threads

Link to post
Share on other sites
otterjohn

We used to get something called Chiselcake at school for pudding 

I'm sure it was like a Chocolate Rice Crispie cake served with chocolate custard

I was lucky to go to Murrayburn Primary school in the early 60s

School dinners were made there.The food was fantastic.

I was (sob sob)the only kid in school entitled to free dinners.

The very kindly dinner lady used to look out for me at playtime with lots of leftovers.

Believe it or not she turned out to be one of my Mother in laws best pals and I made sure she was well looked after with family meals on a Sunday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Cheesecake is the one dessert I can never resist.

I feckin love you!

 

:yas: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2021 at 18:02, Konrad von Carstein said:

Not that into puddings, prefer a cheeseboard, however, when I was a bairn school dinners often had something called  Swedish Apple Charlotte and another called caramel tart (millionaires shortbread in today's money)with custard, went mental for those... Nowadays STP with custard and/or vanilla ice cream or any crumble with the same accompaniment.

 

It was called caramel cake and custard in my 1970's primary school days.

 

Adored it.

 

Although I haven't had that combo in the 41 years since. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, otterjohn said:

We used to get something called Chiselcake at school for pudding 

I'm sure it was like a Chocolate Rice Crispie cake served with chocolate custard

I was lucky to go to Murrayburn Primary school in the early 60s

School dinners were made there.The food was fantastic.

I was (sob sob)the only kid in school entitled to free dinners.

The very kindly dinner lady used to look out for me at playtime with lots of leftovers.

Believe it or not she turned out to be one of my Mother in laws best pals and I made sure she was well looked after with family meals on a Sunday.

 

Nice. 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein
7 minutes ago, martoon said:

 

It was called caramel cake and custard in my 1970's primary school days.

 

Adored it.

 

Although I haven't had that combo in the 41 years since. 

Same era...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, trotter said:

Creme Brulee - is a thing of beauty, especially when done properly by someone (preferably French) who knows what they are doing

 

My gran's sherry trifle. I could, and have, eaten the entire bowl before. Simple, but brilliant. Found her recipe after she passed, still can't quite replicate it. 

Mention in dispatches for Black Forest Gateau...

 

Agreed, beautiful dessert.

 

It's actually a piece of piss to make. Back in my chef-ing days I used to use Nick Nairn's recipe - https://www.grahamsfamilydairy.com/recipes/all-recipes/nick-nairn/creme-brulee

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...