Jump to content

Shaun Murphy


Sooperstar

Recommended Posts

Exactly what I thought when I read it earlier. If the amateur can beat him so what. Just look at golf the amateurs need to qualify but if they do they are accepted 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a tit. It's sport, mate. Try winning your games if you want to earn more money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

Haha.  What an arsepiece.  Amateur golfers play and compete alongside professionals in major tournaments in perfect harmony.  The professional should be good enough to compete with and usually beat the amateur.  If he doesn't then it's his fault.

 

Justin Rose finished 4th in The Open as a 17 year old amateur.  Nobody complained.  

 

**** right off Murphy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

If Murphy had gone through 6-3 or 6-4 he would have played the familiar Mr Niceguy act and not mentioned any of this shite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Statts1976uk

Not directly related to the snooker player's outburst but I do remember watching something about a tennis player comparing his situation to one of a footballer.

 

He was saying that if a footballer got injured or loss of form then he's still getting paid as per his contract, all travel and medical bills taken care of, all training costs are paid for by his club etc. In his situation all these costs are generally met by him, he pays for his entourage's travel and accommodation, his staff are generally on a retainer plus a percentage of his earnings which has to be paid whether he wins the tournament or is out injured. This is all before the taxman comes a calling. The solo sportsperson has quite a lot of pressure on them to perform.

 

I do wonder what percentage of that event cheque that the actual sportsperson gets to see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
PortyJambo

If he'd said that before about amateur players, he might not have come across quite so bitter. But to only say it after getting beat shows him up just as a whiny, sore loser.

 

Sure before the game he was probably pleased that he was "only" playing an amateur, so more likely to win and collect a pay cheque. Didn't go to plan, did it, ya *****

 

Especially hypocritical when he entered a golf tournament as an amateur, would he have given up his spot so a professional could have a chance at earning his keep. Aye right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
CostaJambo
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

This man has earned at least 100k per year since 2005, not including his sponsorship, and is acting like he is living on the breadline.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/59392405

Had a quick look online to check his career earnings and it turns out his missus is a Chemistry professor, so together they are presumably not short of a bob or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites

neil robertson is backing SM

 

Australia's Neil Robertson, who faces amateur John Astley on Thursday, told BBC Radio 5 Live that he had sympathy with Murphy.

"I totally get where Shaun's coming from," said the defending champion.

"When you're playing one of the Chinese boys, some of them are amateurs, but some are as good as anybody in the top 50 in the world.

"Amateurs are under a completely different pressure where there's actually no pressure, because they're not competing for ranking points.

"They're basically on a free hit at a pro, so I completely agree with what Shaun's saying there, because it is very dangerous.

"You want to give people fair opportunity. What they do a lot of the time, if there's 128 players on the professional circuit and a couple drop out, they replace those spots with top-up places, from best-performing players.

"That's probably what would have happened on this occasion.

"Because Shaun's so highly ranked, he would have been playing a quite low-ranked pro, where he certainly wouldn't have lost.

"But on this occasion he's played someone very good."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874

It's his job as an experienced professional to have the right mind set.

 

Complaining that an amateur has less pressure on is ridiculous. 

 

If most of the amateurs are Chinese then he can complain about Chinese participation in snooker if he's brave enough. If he doesn't want Chinese money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

The shite about playing an amateur = the guy has no pressure and gets a free hit is irrelevant and has no credibility.  If he was playing a really low ranked professional with no expectations of winning,  the same dynamic would exist and apply.  It's childish excuse making.

 

It really is in poor taste to mention his profession in terms of putting food on the table.  Away and get sympathy from the many thousands of working people who are struggling to obtain enough paid works to actually put food on their family's table.  

 

Cretin.

Edited by Victorian
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Old Tolbooth

Never liked Shaun Murphy and never will, he's not even that well liked on the tour either, and this is from someone I know who was on the tour. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Haha.  What an arsepiece.  Amateur golfers play and compete alongside professionals in major tournaments in perfect harmony.  The professional should be good enough to compete with and usually beat the amateur.  If he doesn't then it's his fault.

 

Justin Rose finished 4th in The Open as a 17 year old amateur.  Nobody complained.  

 

**** right off Murphy.

This is the same Murphy who tried to qualify for the Open. Effectively snapping up a place from someone within the paid ranks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The shite about playing an amateur = the guy has no pressure and gets a free hit is irrelevant and has no credibility.  If he was playing a really low ranked professional with no expectations of winning,  the same dynamic would exist and apply.  It's childish excuse making.

 

It really is in poor taste to mention his profession in terms of putting food on the table.  Away and get sympathy from the many thousands of working people who are struggling to obtain enough paid works to actually put food on their family's table.  

 

Cretin.

just look at him he definately has no issue doing that

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he doesn't like it he can go and do something else and see what real pressure to put food on the table is like.

 

Same in regards to the post about tennis players, if they think it's better to be a professional footballer then go and be one. Nobody made them choose snooker or tennis as their profession.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Der Kaiser

Had to read this story twice as honestly thought it was a joke.

 

I might adopt this attitude with Fifa and my youngest son.

 

"Sorry but I'm not playing against you as you are not on my level.....plus you play with no pressure which means it's actually unfair on me. Any victory of yours would be shallow. Please put your controller down....but I'm happy for you to watch".

Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk

Bit of a sore loser me thinks. 
 

Probably dented pride losing to an amateur but the overall quality of snooker has risen dramatically over the years so not as bad a loss as it might previously have been. Think O’Sullivan lost to a amateur some point as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Bit of a sore loser me thinks. 
 

Probably dented pride losing to an amateur but the overall quality of snooker has risen dramatically over the years so not as bad a loss as it might previously have been. Think O’Sullivan lost to a amateur some point as well. 

 

James Cahill.  Stephen Hendry's estranged nephew.  Both Cahill and the boy who beat Murphy used to be on the pro tour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a loser.

 

Guarantee he wants a European super league style set up for snooker :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874
43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Is he getting his arse fed to him through a straw on any social media yet?  Hope so.

 

More so some informed sensible points about amateur sport and particularly where there is a mix of professional and amateur players which is common in emerging sports. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Echoes of Ronnie O'Sullivan saying every is shite out of the top 10, then gets pumped out in the 1st round of a tournament by a non-ranked player. Seems a lot of pros have little respect and act like entitled bawbags. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Echoes of Ronnie O'Sullivan saying every is shite out of the top 10, then gets pumped out in the 1st round of a tournament by a non-ranked player. Seems a lot of pros have little respect and act like entitled bawbags. 


There is a bit of that among elitist players. Years ago they changed the ranking system to try and make fairer on players who played smaller tournaments and things in the ranking charts and folks like Stephen Hendry and the other big players tried to have some sort of legacy clause inserted which guarantees them entry to major tournaments 🙈

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:


There is a bit of that among elitist players. Years ago they changed the ranking system to try and make fairer on players who played smaller tournaments and things in the ranking charts and folks like Stephen Hendry and the other big players tried to have some sort of legacy clause inserted which guarantees them entry to major tournaments 🙈

 

I think Hendry retired a soon as he dropped out of the top 16 which meant he would have to qualify for the World Championship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Robertson who was defending Murphy’s comments has been beaten by an amateur.

 

A slice of karma :lol:  

Edited by Chaps
Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
51 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Robertson who was defending Murphy’s comments has been beaten by an amateur.

 

A slice of karma :lol:  

 

I like Robertson but this indeed is a huge wedge of karma.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually quite like SM but there are not many sporting events that don't have a few diddies in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awbdy Oot
On 24/11/2021 at 09:19, Victorian said:

Haha.  What an arsepiece.  Amateur golfers play and compete alongside professionals in major tournaments in perfect harmony.  The professional should be good enough to compete with and usually beat the amateur.  If he doesn't then it's his fault.

 

Justin Rose finished 4th in The Open as a 17 year old amateur.  Nobody complained.  

 

**** right off Murphy.

 

Nobody complained about Rose because any prize money he might have won went to the next person, Amateurs in golf don't get prize money, or they would be professionals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
7 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

 

Nobody complained about Rose because any prize money he might have won went to the next person, Amateurs in golf don't get prize money, or they would be professionals.

 

Knew... everybody.  But yeah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awbdy Oot
50 minutes ago, Victorian said:

 

Knew... everybody.  But yeah.

 

Why mention it then? It's not comparable. Murphy is moaning that an amateur is depriving a professional of his living, that doesn't happen in golf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2021 at 10:08, Statts1976uk said:

Not directly related to the snooker player's outburst but I do remember watching something about a tennis player comparing his situation to one of a footballer.

 

He was saying that if a footballer got injured or loss of form then he's still getting paid as per his contract, all travel and medical bills taken care of, all training costs are paid for by his club etc. In his situation all these costs are generally met by him, he pays for his entourage's travel and accommodation, his staff are generally on a retainer plus a percentage of his earnings which has to be paid whether he wins the tournament or is out injured. This is all before the taxman comes a calling. The solo sportsperson has quite a lot of pressure on them to perform.

 

I do wonder what percentage of that event cheque that the actual sportsperson gets to see.

 

Totally get your point re tennis players. However just looking at him you can see that Murphy doesn't have a fitness coach or the like...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Statts1976uk
22 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

 

Totally get your point re tennis players. However just looking at him you can see that Murphy doesn't have a fitness coach or the like...

Haha very true! He'll still be having an agent, a coach, possibly a sports psychologist etc then his travel and accommodation costs and getting punted out in the first round means he probably will walk away with about £500 clear out of £3000 for two weeks work. He'll have to wait for another tournament to earn money outside of his sponsorship deals. It's probably sour grapes and frustration on his part.

 

I don't see the problem with amateurs playing in professional competitions, if they can prove they are up to the required standard to compete then why not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

Bit tosser with bells on. Always chipping in on the snooker with his advice even though he's won nothing. Good to see him getting his cumapance

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Bit tosser with bells on. Always chipping in on the snooker with his advice even though he's won nothing. Good to see him getting his cumapance

You do realise Murphy is a former world champion

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

You do realise Murphy is a former world champion

 

I can say anything as a World Champion myself. I'm Ronnie O'Sullivan 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...