Eggs

Tazio

Brilliant food form. Delicious and versatile. Scrambled, boiled, poached, fried, omelettes. I love them and because of that always buy the best quality ones I can get with lovely rich golden yolks. 
However I can’t eat a fried egg roll as the texture is all wrong, a scrambled egg on a soft roll with loads of black pepper though is a splendid thing. 
Egg haters are just weirdos with no redeeming features. 
That is all. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Tazio

• Konrad von Carstein

• milky_26

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Brilliant food form. Delicious and versatile. Scrambled, boiled, poached, fried, omelettes. I love them and because of that always buy the best quality ones I can get with lovely rich golden yolks. 
However I can’t eat a fried egg roll as the texture is all wrong, a scrambled egg on a soft roll with loads of black pepper though is a splendid thing. 
That is all. 

Don't mind a fried egg roll, preferably with bacon also. My working class credentials are in danger though, as these days I'm quite partial to an Eggs Benedict with some decent ham. 

6 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Don't mind a fried egg roll, preferably with bacon also. My working class credentials are in danger though, as these days I'm quite partial to an Eggs Benedict with some decent ham. 

bacon and egg in a crusty roll with a bit of french butter (bit of brown sauce) or eggs benedict; both great choices 👍 also recommend a nice bit of scrambled egg on an everything bagel with some of those wee sweet tomatoes.

The White Cockade

runny fried egg, haggis slice and tattie scone

breakfast of the Gods

partial to scrambled egg and black pepper bap as well

Never been known to turn down a cheese and onion omelette and

a good scotch egg is a thing of beauty

Edited by The White Cockade

Sausage and fried egg double.

Scrambled egg on toast.

Fried egg and chips

Fried egg on waffle or tattie scone

Poached egg on toast.

Mark's and Spencer's scotch egg .

The yolks still runny.

Egg should never have tomatoe sauce brown sauce or any sauce near it.

And beans next to egg should result in the birch.

not had french toast in a while. also someone i work with said last christmas she made french toast but in the beaten eggs she put some baileys and it was good, something i will need to try at some point

12 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The sauce must not go anywhere near the eggs.

Disagree, a drizzle of siracha over scrambled eggs is devine not to mention eggs Benedict and the silver spoons eggs in red wine sauce recipe!

Edited by Ribble

joondalupjambo

Egg in cup with soldiers.

Knob of butter, salt and pepper in bottom of cup.  Add three or four chopped boiled eggs, slightly runny, stir, bit more salt, stir again.

Use soldiers to dip in cup as required.

Edited by joondalupjambo

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

I think I'm being converted with the spicy sauce option, JJ.

Sriracha is a good shout. Had a Portuguese pal that had something like Tabasco that he put on a fried egg, went great in one of those papo seco rolls. 

Konrad von Carstein
39 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Scrambled eggs, warmed tinned kippers and brown sourdough toast is delicious. 

The other day I had a green chilli omelette with chips. Superb.

Anyone who puts any kind of sauce near their scrambled eggs is a deviant.

After your revalationary post about marmite peanut butter, this is getting tried....

#legend

Konrad von Carstein
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

This is a decent shakshouka recipe. I’d add Harissa as well to the tomatoes. 
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/shakshuka/

First time I saw this was on an Ottolenghi (sp) programme, big in Israel (as I'm sure you know) we love it. 

Also been known to have a version made with left over Indian curry or chilli for breakfast....

I kept chickens until very recently and their eggs were outstanding 

Carrick Knowe has become like a haven for foxes and I can’t let em roam like I used to so I’ve had to rehome them.

I’ll miss em

I’ll miss those eggs

Always pay a wee bit more for proper free range folks. Its worth it

2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

First time I saw this was on an Ottolenghi (sp) programme, big in Israel (as I'm sure you know) we love it. 

Also been known to have a version made with left over Indian curry or chilli for breakfast....

Shakshouka is like all Middle Eastern foods claimed by most countries. Morocco claims it, Israel is obsessed with claiming it, and the Lebanese say it is definitely theirs but they claim every good Middle Eastern food is from there. 

The Mighty Thor

Huevos Rotos - fried potato and chorizo with broken fried egg 😍

Eggs benedict with either Stornoway black pudding or a haggis slice instead of the ham. Artery clogging-tastic

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Huevos Rotos - fried potato and chorizo with broken fried egg 😍

Eggs benedict with either Stornoway black pudding or a haggis slice instead of the ham. Artery clogging-tastic

Similarly, huevos rancheros !

The perfect hangover cure !

Egg is one of the great super  foods . Mainly have it poached but now am hungry for French toast since someone mentioned it ! I don’t have bread though ! Arghh 

Салатные палочки

I love eggs. She hates the smell of eggs so I like to make boiled eggs in the mornings, chop them up in the cup with a bit of butter, salt and pepper and leave it sitting in the cup for a few mins for the smell to radiate around the house. 

If you're frying, is it over easy or sunny side up? I cant stand eggs fried on one side and that snotty white they have on top. Have to be fried on both sides. 

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

If you're frying, is it over easy or sunny side up? I cant stand eggs fried on one side and that snotty white they have on top. Have to be fried on both sides. 

Sunny side up but you need to splash the yolk with the hot oil in the pan. But the yolk needs to be runny. A hard yolk is a sin. 

Konrad von Carstein

Made a bee line for the French toast while in the Dominican....was sickly sweet, the Yanks fekkin loved it aong with bacon and syrup :Icky:

55 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Egg in cup with soldiers.

Knob of butter, salt and pepper in bottom of cup.  Add three or four chopped boiled eggs, slightly runny, stir, bit more salt, stir again.

Use soldiers to dip in cup as required.

Does that actually work with soldiers? Sounds to thick for the soldiers.

I always remember mashed egg in a cup with a bit salt and pepper.

Love Eggs Benedict, but there's nothing worse if you order it on holiday for breakfast and cut into the poached egg with a knife...and no yoke pours out to mingle with the hollandaise. Totally ruins the day.

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Marmite PB on toast for supper. Lamb vindaloo for dinner.

Covid and flu jabs today.

Tomorrow could be fun....

Marmite PB for lunch/snack mid-day, pork sausage and "tater-tots" for tea...Covid booster & flu ja yesterday...

Tomorrow will be shit...still working :(

Fried eggs end up with burnt crispy edges and an unset top because people use far too much heat.

Do it low and slow, effectively poaching the egg in hot oil. Baste the top towards the end of cooking.

Keep the yolk semi runny.

:greggy:

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I was at uni in the States for a while and the Shermans used to use the fizzy drink dispenser in the cafeteria at breakfast. I'm with the Iranians now.

Totally unrelated, but our first All Inclusive holiday when my daughter was around 3 yo we got down for breakfast and saw the chilled juice dispensers with the arms swilling it around...cue the ex Mrs JvC and me being buzzed on Rose wine at nine o'clock  in the morning  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Totally unrelated, but our first All Inclusive holiday when my daughter was around 3 yo we got down for breakfast and saw the chilled juice dispensers with the arms swilling it around...cue the ex Mrs JvC and me being buzzed on Rose wine at nine o'clock  in the morning  :lol:

My sort of breakfast, KvC.

👍

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Shakshouka is also a worthwhile use of the humble egg. Sets you up very nicely for the day ahead. 

If you’ve not tried this then please do so. Absolutely delicious and so easy to do.

A Syrian friend introduced me to this. Really good way to start the day 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Tazio said:

That is all. 

If only you'd mentioned a month back I could have supplied you with free "Happy Eggs"/"Golden Yolks" etc etc.

Due to some eff up by the guy booking them in at work the Coop had to hand out 18k (what it cost them) of eggs for nowt.

You've no idea how many eggs I ate in the space of a month, we had them, friends, family and neighbours had them and I even handed 4 boxes into my local to hand out (48 cartons of 12).

The full Coop warehouse was stinking of eggy farts for weeks.

Fried / scrambled egg rolls: the perfect hangover cure.  I love them all other ways too, apart from raw. They're one of my favourite foods and ingredients.

Салатные палочки

How do folk make their scrambled eggs? 

I crack 2-3 into a bowl, add cracked sea salt and pepper and a splash of milk then melt butter in a pot and in it goes. I know some people add cream and some nothing at all. 

Put it on two heavily buttered crispy rolls and jobs a good'n. I'm actually up with the wee one and now I'm in the mood for some on buttery toast 😋 

6 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I crack 2-3 into a bowl, add cracked sea salt and pepper and a splash of milk then melt butter in a pot and in it goes. I know some people add cream and some nothing at all. 

Put it on two heavily buttered crispy rolls and jobs a good'n. I'm actually up with the wee one and now I'm in the mood for some on buttery toast 😋 

Too fussy. Cook them classic French style. Melt a knob of butter in a pan. When it’s foaming add two unbroken eggs, no whisking. Stir them continually with a wooden spoon until they’re totally broken up. Keep stirring. When they’re starting to look a bit cooked, take them off the heat. This is when you add salt and pepper as salt toughens the eggs if you put it in early. Also another knob of butter . Back onto heat and keep stirring until they’re the right texture and cooked.  
This way they’re a lot smoother and less lumpy. Also very rich and luxurious tasting. It’s all about the hard stirring. 

Mum used to make egg in a cup when I'd been feeling iffy. Boil the eggs, bit on the soft side, butter some bread and cut into small pieces, chuck it all in a mug and cover in salt and stir away. Simple and delicious, still have now when under the weather. 

5 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Cream or natural yoghurt instead of milk. Cooked half on the hob/ half off. 

joondalupjambo
8 hours ago, Pap said:

Does that actually work with soldiers? Sounds to thick for the soldiers.

I always remember mashed egg in a cup with a bit salt and pepper.

Yeah as long as the egg is a wee bit runny and chopped up well and you use a good toasted soldier then the egg sticks to it.  It might take a few goes to master it but since I started as a 3 year old, and still having them sixty years later works for me😀👍

9 hours ago, sassenach said:

Microwave an egg in a ramekin with a bit of butter for 30 seconds.  Then place inside a bun.

Hey presto - instant munchies food when you've come in pished.

image.png.6fe19fa76a2b87353f9855f29efa071d.png

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

That is all. 

Love eggs, boiled, scrambelled, poached, fried . full of protein.

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Tazio said:

Too fussy. Cook them classic French style. Melt a knob of butter in a pan. When it’s foaming add two unbroken eggs, no whisking. Stir them continually with a wooden spoon until they’re totally broken up. Keep stirring. When they’re starting to look a bit cooked, take them off the heat. This is when you add salt and pepper as salt toughens the eggs if you put it in early. Also another knob of butter . Back onto heat and keep stirring until they’re the right texture and cooked.  
This way they’re a lot smoother and less lumpy. Also very rich and luxurious tasting. It’s all about the hard stirring. 

That's kind of how I do mine. Splash of double cream if I've got any in the fridge. 

Salt and pepper added after cooking. 

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah as long as the egg is a wee bit runny and chopped up well and you use a good toasted soldier then the egg sticks to it.  It might take a few goes to master it but since I started as a 3 year old, and still having them sixty years later works for me😀👍

:laugh: Sound. Enjoy mate👍

highlandjambo3

I often boil a couple of eggs then wrap them in a few of layers of tissue then tinfoil.  Pop off for a cycle and stop for a bite to eat…..eggs are usually still hot/warm………love it.