Brit Music Awards scrap gender specific awards

SwindonJambo

• SwindonJambo changed the title to Brit Music Awards scrap gender specific awards
18 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Oh FFS... World has gone (even) mad(der)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59372522.amp

Where will it stop???

It seemingly came after complaints from artists who identify as 'non binary'. 😳

Hopefully they will scrap all the Brit Awards completely.  Its nothing but a complete pile of shite where the record companies award their own acts, mostly the no-talent manufactured pop acts who are getting their couple of years of fame backed by a team of songwriters.

I would like to have seen this go the other way and have awards for everyone and every identity imaginable. 

"It's day 17 of the Brit Awards and the award for Best New group comprising of at least 2 Pangender people, 1 pre-op Non-Binary person and a Chick with a Dick goes to.........

Just now, frankblack said:

Hopefully they will scrap all the Brit Awards completely.  Its nothing but a complete pile of shite where the record companies award their own acts, mostly the no-talent manufactured pop acts who are getting their couple of years of fame backed by a team of songwriters.

That's been true for decades unfortunately and I agree. It's become far too corporate and controlled with little room for the artist who plays pubs and clubs and builds up a word of mouth following.

But on the story itself, I'm as pro equality as the next person. However male and female voices have completely different ranges and usually subject matter too. To lump them in together to me is just foolish.  

I don't watch the Brits so this doesn't concern me in the slightest and I can't and won't pretend to be offended or in favour of the action taken. 

35 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

That's been true for decades unfortunately and I agree. It's become far too corporate and controlled with little room for the artist who plays pubs and clubs and builds up a word of mouth following.

But on the story itself, I'm as pro equality as the next person. However male and female voices have completely different ranges and usually subject matter too. To lump them in together to me is just foolish.  

Its like the complete wallopers who want a female James Bond.

How thick can some people be - the character is written as a male and unlike Dr Who does not have an out to regenerate into another gender.

If you want a female James bond, then create a new female character.

Edited by frankblack

Music is universal.

You don't need "bloeks only" and "bursd only" categories; they don't mean anything when it comes to music.

Brit awards could just be saving money on the number of awards to hand out and cutting down the length of the ceremony itself. :look:

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

How thick can some people be - the character is written as a male and unlike Dr Who does not have an out to regenerate into another gender.

Totally with you on the latter point too. Equality yes, by all means but that does not mean the same thing as interchangeability and it takes a particularly fruit loopy walloper to believe it does.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Music is universal.

You don't need "bloeks only" and "bursd only" categories; they don't mean anything when it comes to music.

Brit awards could just be saving money on the number of awards to hand out and cutting down the length of the ceremony itself. :look:

Or do away with it altogether because it's a manipulated closed shop controlled by fat cat corporate interest, namely the big record companies.

41 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I would like to have seen this go the other way and have awards for everyone and every identity imaginable. 

"It's day 17 of the Brit Awards and the award for Best New group comprising of at least 2 Pangender people, 1 pre-op Non-Binary person and a Chick with a Dick goes to.........

😂😂

As I am neither a 13-year-old lassie nor employed in the London music industry, I don't give a shite about the Brits.

In the days of instant consumption, self-production/distribution and the internet, these award ceremonies are a joke. An ancient relic of the past.

Edited by Cade

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

As I am neither a 13-year-old lassie nor employed in the London music industry, I don't give a shite about the Brits.

In the days of instant consumption, self-production/distribution and the internet, these award ceremonies are a joke. An ancient relic of the past.

Its just another way to get their own acts records promoted pre and post the awards to boost sales, while the corporate execs have a jolly.

As mentioned above, anyone outside these companies doesn't get a sniff.

12 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

MOBO awards to go next for being utterly racist 

Considering that rock music came out of black southern blues and most of today's vocalists have a gospel edge, arguably it's obsolete (and arguably always has been)

I've always viewed the MOBOs as divisive, exclusionary and a bit of a joke.

The Brits has always been a mainstream bag of shite. Still it did give us The KLF with Extreme Noise Terror and this, so not completely without merit.

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

Bangkok flashback…..

Carl Fredrickson

Growing up in the 1970s in a mining community, I am honest enough to admit that I struggle with a lot of this stuff. 

I asked a young colleague at work to explain all the LBGT stuff to me but they couldnt give me a straight answer...

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

And there's the truth right there....👍

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Oh FFS... World has gone (even) mad(der)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59372522.amp

Where will it stop???

It seemingly came after complaints from artists who identify as 'non binary'. 😳

This isn’t just about music for me and I agree that these ‘awards’ are just an industry manipulation in the same vein as the Oscars.

It’s a bigger issue for me though. It’s yet another worrying sign of the desexing of the population.

To be honest I’m in my last few laps of this marathon so I guess I shouldn’t worry too much.

In saying that when my daughter gets a row from her line manager for saying good morning boys and girls at her nursery, I just shake my head and wonder how we’ve reached this point.

32 minutes ago, Zico said:

Sam Smith sounds pissed off that it’s shitey music didn’t get nominated. 

Haven't click on the link but that little weirdo was the first person that came to mind.

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

The Brits has always been a mainstream bag of shite. Still it did give us The KLF with Extreme Noise Terror and this, so not completely without merit.

Nearly 3 minutes in before I realised she was singing......

:ruiner:

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

100% agree. 
James Bond is a white male who grew up in Scotland. Not female, or black or American. 
Does that upset some folk? It does? Good!

GTF ya Trumpets!

I have no problem with  a single best artist award - it's meant to be about music.  But as has been pointed out, it ain't.  Maybe I'm just getting old, but never has music seemed so ****ed.  Shows like the Brits and X Factor are to blame and mainstream audiences have swallowed it whole.  I absolutely hate it when audiences start to clap and cheer when a singer hits a high note.  For me, that's indicative of a total lack of understanding of what music is.  The likes of Simon Cowell refer to such moments in songs as 'money notes' as in 'You hit the money note, right there'.  

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Haken said:

I have no problem with  a single best artist award - it's meant to be about music.  But as has been pointed out, it ain't.  Maybe I'm just getting old, but never has music seemed so ****ed.  Shows like the Brits and X Factor are to blame and mainstream audiences have swallowed it whole.  I absolutely hate it when audiences start to clap and cheer when a singer hits a high note.  For me, that's indicative of a total lack of understanding of what music is.  The likes of Simon Cowell refer to such moments in songs as 'money notes' as in 'You hit the money note, right there'.  

Another thing is there any decent music these days , all I hear is shite 3rd rate fake Americqn r&b or whatever crap its called . Cowell is a and Sam Smith is an even bigger .

The gender politics is like a funnel. At the top you have what was considered the norm, men and women. Then further down you have trans people who want to be considered as their chosen gender. Fair enough I say. But now that isn’t enough so you have the non binary and gender fluid squad which is where I lose sympathy. So by their demands trans people now lose the ability to be seen as what they want to be. This is a very small tail wagging a very big dog. 

I P Knightley
15 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Growing up in the 1970s in a mining community, I am honest enough to admit that I struggle with a lot of this stuff. 

I asked a young colleague at work to explain all the LBGT stuff to me but they couldnt give me a straight answer...

:drummer:

You are appreciated, Carl :D

I don't think I've ever paid any attention to the Brit Awards but I thought, on reading the headlines, that this was a good move. If it's supposed to be an award for writing or performing a good song, then the song should be judged entirely on its own merits. If Stock Aitken and Waterman choose to have it performed by a bursds, then that's them choosing an instrument, just as they'd select keyboards over bagpipes. It's all about working out what works best to make the song sound better (or to make more sales).

But now I'm reading that it's all about virtue signalling, I'm prepared to switch back off and just listen to music I enjoy.

15 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Things went downhill when LGB expanded to LGBT then various others letters . It’s pathetic now . 

12 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

100% agree. 
James Bond is a white male who grew up in Scotland. Not female, or black or American. 
Does that upset some folk? It does? Good!

GTF ya Trumpets!

******Breaking news *****

James Bond was not a Real person ! However I I do agree that the writer invented HIM as a man . It’s his creation . 

54 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Another thing is there any decent music these days , all I hear is shite 3rd rate fake Americqn r&b or whatever crap its called . Cowell is a and Sam Smith is an even bigger .

There is loads of good music around, you just won't hear much of it on Radio 1 or at the Brit Awards.

Comes down to personal taste but I get loads of new music from 6Music and websites like The Quietus.

17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Apparently it is transphobic now for lesbians to not want to have sex with biological-men who self-define as being women.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57853385

:cornette_dog:

Yes this was a particularly awful story regarding creepy “ male lesbians “ forcing biological lesbians into sex with them . If they didn’t they would be viewed as transphobic . Gay men are also accused of being transphobic if they don’t fancy a trans man ! I was called transphobic on a gay Facebook page when I made a comment about an artcle from the USA where trans men wanted to participate in a “ men only “ camp 🏕 . Which included a club sauna etc . I said I “ don’t fancy lifting up a towel and seeing a Minge “ ! Incredibly a fair amount of gay men supported the concept of allowing trans men ( pre op or post op ) to this camp 🏕 

13 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Nearly 3 minutes in before I realised she was singing......

:ruiner:

Repeat watching is worth it.... just to get the intricacies of the music mash up of course.

To be fair i don;t split my music into genders so it makes sense to have one award to cover both (all?)

I suspect the event will become more a celebration of diversity rather than recognising good music however.

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Apparently it is transphobic now for lesbians to not want to have sex with biological-men who self-define as being women.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57853385

:cornette_dog:

We are moving to the stage where it should be divided into people with / or without a penis and that should do it .

Express that as a preference and have prisons , hospital wards and olympics based on that.

19 hours ago, Cade said:

But have you ever been one? :huh:  Just so's we know...  :whistling: :wink:

18 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

:clyay:

16 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Haven't click on the link but that little weirdo was the first person that came to mind.

At 6'1" & a bit, "they" are actually quite a big weirdo. 

The Brits are a big, stinking, pile of cack, so I couldn't care less what they do.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

To be fair i don;t split my music into genders so it makes sense to have one award to cover both (all?)

I suspect the event will become more a celebration of diversity rather than recognising good music however.

Similar for me. Music videos, on the other hand...

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Similar for me. Music videos, on the other hand...

.....and yet they banned the video for Smack My Bitch up which I felt was a hugely empowering moment for women.

Carl Fredrickson
32 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

It's all academic really, as Adele is quite clearly going to win everything for selling yet another ****load of sh!t records...

FTFY

joondalupjambo

Will be good for plumbers and builders when they change it all, the Awards will now need male, female, gender neutral, gender fluid, binary, non binary toilets built.  

20 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

As a 70's dinosaur can I say bollocks to all this.

No, no you can't say that.

However you can say -  reproductive organs for production and storage of gametes common to those born with XY chromosomes - to all that.

Just now, Beni said:

No, no you can't say that.

However you can say -  reproductive organs for production and storage of gametes common to those born with XY chromosomes - to all that.

Glad I'll be deed in a few decades...if I'm lucky!