Stag dos

feedtheroman2

feedtheroman2

Anyone been on one recently or got any planned for next year?

Its my own do next April and im unsure yet where to go and how covid may dictate things. Just looking for suggestions and reviews on anyone whose been to the usual haunts -  Hamburg, Munich, Krakow, Prague, Riga etc.

Dennis Reynolds

I had mine in Hamburg and have been to a couple in Munich. Both amazing places but Hamburg wins because of the Reeperbahn. Some of the things I saw on the Reeperbahn.... 😱 

Amsterdam is good, if a bit more expensive but a cracking city and the locals are great.

If restrictions are still an issue, you could always rent out a big place up north. Fill it with bevvy and jobs a good'un. Or even head down to Newcastle/Liverpool.

Been to a couple . One of my nephews in Liverpool . Really great city , good nightlife . We enjoyed it . Other one was near Perth where we hired a big Yurt 🛖 for 10 of us . Just made  a massive meal and loads of bevvy . Was good too . 

Only been to Blackpool and Amsterdam for stag dos and going to Dublin next May for one. Mines was planned for Portugal but we cancelled our wedding, when we rearrange it I'll probably still stick with Portugal.

1 hour ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Its my own do next April and im unsure yet where to go and how covid may dictate things. Just looking for suggestions and reviews on anyone whose been to the usual haunts -  Hamburg, Munich, Krakow, Prague, Riga etc.

Krakow is great city and very inexpensive. Pints for 2 quid will no doubt be welcome on a stag do.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Krakow is great city and very inexpensive. Pints for 2 quid will no doubt be welcome on a stag do.

I agree.

Went there a couple of years ago and it was very good.

Very cheap.

10 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

If you are staying in the UK I would recommend York and Cardiff. Both great cities.

York has some lovely pubs.

SectionDJambo
23 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They certainly do.

My late nephew, who was born and brought up in York and worked in a pub, once told me that there are more pubs per square mile in York than anywhere else in the UK.

It is a great city and on the east coast railway line for handy travel for us who live in the Edinburgh area.

5 hours ago, LMc said:

I had mine in Hamburg and have been to a couple in Munich. Both amazing places but Hamburg wins because of the Reeperbahn. Some of the things I saw on the Reeperbahn.... 😱 

Amsterdam is good, if a bit more expensive but a cracking city and the locals are great.

If restrictions are still an issue, you could always rent out a big place up north. Fill it with bevvy and jobs a good'un. Or even head down to Newcastle/Liverpool.

My brothers stag do was in Hamburg. The first strip club we went to .....Oh...My....God!

Words cannot describe how good the stripper smelled for my first lap dance. She was also stunning......and her aroma is still the first thing I remember about her. As fresh a smell as you could imagine. Like a summer meadow in late afternoon, far from any city or town, with this cool breeze lightly drifting over the field of wildflowers. There's a river close by, you can just hear it babbling over some faint bird song far in the distance.

Best motor boat ever.

I've totally forgotten what this thread is about......

The location is pretty irrelevant on any stag do I’ve been on. The company makes the occasion imo. If you can’t enjoy yourself on a stag do then you’re in the wrong company. 

Edited by Dazo

25 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

My brothers stag do was in Hamburg. The first strip club we went to .....Oh...My....God!

Words cannot describe how good the stripper smelled for my first lap dance. She was also stunning......and her aroma is still the first thing I remember about her. As fresh a smell as you could imagine. Like a summer meadow in late afternoon, far from any city or town, with this cool breeze lightly drifting over the field of wildflowers. There's a river close by, you can just hear it babbling over some faint bird song far in the distance.

Best motor boat ever.

I've totally forgotten what this thread is about......

D5EFAD00-96F5-4D8D-8DA7-9D2FA284A3F4.jpeg

Went to a stag do many years ago in what I'm led to believe was Pat Stanton's pub in West Granton, Willie Muir(?). It was shite and a big fight kicked off but I went home with the girl from behind the bar. I actually knew her from primary school. She recognised me, she was the scruff kid when were all 10/11 years old. She grew into a real babe. And I went home with her :verysmug:

Edited by Marvin

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

My late nephew, who was born and brought up in York and worked in a pub, once told me that there are more pubs per square mile in York than anywhere else in the UK.

It is a great city and on the east coast railway line for handy travel for us who live in the Edinburgh area.

I really love it.

Been there about 6 times.

It doesn’t surprise me the statistic on the number of pubs.

As you say easy to get there with a regular train service.

Dennis Reynolds
6 hours ago, Dazo said:

The location is pretty irrelevant on any stag do I’ve been on. The company makes the occasion imo. If you can’t enjoy yourself on a stag do then you’re in the wrong company. 

This is a great point tbf.

Went to Blackpool for mine... Brilliant time. We ended up in a strippers bar on a Saturday afternoon. Never forget.. At 430pm about 16 lads turned back on strippers so we could watch results coming in on tv

Pre covid I had 13 weddings in a year. (Between me and the wife's pals)

Been best man 3 times.

Ive done most of the usual places and my favourite by far is Prague. Although I would stress to stay away from the typical Brit abroad and tourist traps 

PRAGUE has it all. Equally good for a stag/lads weekend, as a couple or solo. It has a lot to offer in terms of things to do, the football and the ice hockey were great spectator experiences with food and drink delivered to your seats. Premium seats were a minimal amount more. It's the land of beer and you can do beer museums, city tours or even an escape room with actors (few scares to be had). The typical Irish pubs and sports bars in the square were £3-4 a drink but a mere block away a pint could be had for about 70p. (This was relatively recently too). The transport system is excellent and the metro trains run like clockwork.

Didn't want to post one lengthy post so here's a seperate post with general stag titbits

Don't overdo the daytime "activities" depends on your mates of course but I've not been on about a dozen stags of mixed groups. Generally everyone wanted to get bevvied. The thought of getting up the next day to do go-karting or paintball sounds like hell for most.

So instead Spectator sports work well. Football or ice hockey have been great. 

Maybe a wee tour of some sort, bus or boat if you want a general wee nosey at a place. If folk aren't into it, it means they can just chill.

Escape rooms once you get into them are great for groups too. You generally have a choice of themes so don't have to be scary.

My opinion on a few destinations:

prague (as above)

Krakow (great value, good for food drink and activities daytime. Nightlife a little less welcoming)

Hamburg (absolute carnage, if you want a party then Hamburg's the place. Really gets going midnight thru til 7am. So o e for the party animals but less interesting daytime)

Budapest (Hungarians are really friendly and it's great value)

Albufeira (actually one of my favourite stag do. If you have a more relaxed group you can lounge by the pool by day or take a tuk-tuk tour. The nightlife is split into old town and "the strip" so it's really convenient and not an issue for groups once you hit the pubs and clubs)

Berlin (the one to AVOID. I'm sure its a great city in many ways and football at the Olympic stadium was brilliant. However it's HUGE and spread out, an absolute ball ache for organising a group. Some areas for nightlife are seriously dodgy as well. We felt uneasy more than once and that was in a group. Lots of gangs openly dealing drugs outside the clubs etc) 

If I think of anything else I'll try post. stag does are a blast, I love seeing new city's and letting off some steam with the lads.  Make the most of it.

1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

Went to Blackpool for mine... Brilliant time. We ended up in a strippers bar on a Saturday afternoon. Never forget.. At 430pm about 16 lads turned back on strippers so we could watch results coming in on tv

🤣 

Samuel Camazzola
23 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

If you are looking at Munich and the dates in April accommodate, I can vouch for Springfest. https://www.thirstyswagman.com/german-beer-festivals/springfest-munich/

A smaller scale Oktoberfest. 👍 

Munich was a great city and would definitely return. 

In terms of overseas locations, I'd also recommend Riga but not sure how accessible from Scotland it is these days. I never got to it but they shooting ranges and dry bobsleigh runs which looked great. 

Madrid is a great place but for stag groups, I think holiday resorts are the best and most 'tolerant' for the nonsense they can bring. Benidorm and Lloret De Mar were good. Salou usually has a big university games event in the spring and attracts a lot of UK teams and groups so there are a lot of pubs and clubs geared up for them. Palma Nova/Magaluf were good but since I was last there for a stag in 2016, I believe the local government have changed things and legislation has been brought in to tighten up on what bars can and can't do to clean up the image. They did have an adult only hotel with its own waterpark inside. Avoid Santa Ponsa unless you want to feel you are part of a Celtic convention. 

Not from stag experience but from being on holiday, Albufeira in Portugal and Benalmadena on the Costa Del Sol have plenty to accommodate your trip. Easy to get to with plenty flight options, great weather all year and lots of pubs, bars and clubs. To break up the day, there's also lots of activities to choose from (if you didn't fancy sitting by a pool) 

For UK, had great stag trips to York, Cardiff, Whitley Bay and Aviemore. Would always opt for going abroad first though. 👍 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola
Autocorrect

If you want something in the UK then one of the best stags i've ever been on was at Rookin House Farm near Penrith in the lakes (https://rookinhouse.co.uk), we had about 25 of us there from friday night to sunday morning basically camping in the barn, paintball and go-carting on-site on the saturday, bring your own booze and food (you have a kitchen and BBQ area) all in it was something like £100 a head plus travel. 

On 30/10/2021 at 21:32, Marvin said:

Went to a stag do many years ago in what I'm led to believe was Pat Stanton's pub in West Granton, Willie Muir(?). It was shite and a big fight kicked off but I went home with the girl from behind the bar. I actually knew her from primary school. She recognised me, she was the scruff kid when were all 10/11 years old. She grew into a real babe. And I went home with her :verysmug:

Sure there was a murder in that pub.   

Ashbourne Derbyshire: Pretty standard stag do. Lots of oldies so no strippers or knocking shops. Paintball, clay pigeon shooting and go carts. 6/10

Edinburgh: Pubic triangle. Clubs, bars, restaurant. Go carts during the day. 5/10

Norfolk Broads: 7 nights on a barge. Stopping off along the way for lunches and dinners. Ate on the boat as well a few times. Good laugh actually but not much to do apart from chug about. Ended up at Great Yarmouth. Good nightlife. Lots of slappers desperate for a shag whilst partners were offshore. 7/10

Albefuera: Strip is nuts. Lots of stag do hen do action. Cheap booze. Charles all over if that’s your thing. 7/10

Pitlochry: Standard fare again. White water rafting was good laugh. Good pubs and food. Bungee jumping. 6/10

Inverness: Paintball again. Nightclubs, bars, restaurants. That sort of fare. Bit boring. 6/10

Belfast: Cant remember much of this one. Carnage. Very expensive. Nearly got run over by a bus getting home. 8/10

On 31/10/2021 at 10:30, Alan_R said:

Pre covid I had 13 weddings in a year. (Between me and the wife's pals)

Been best man 3 times.

Ive done most of the usual places and my favourite by far is Prague. Although I would stress to stay away from the typical Brit abroad and tourist traps 

PRAGUE has it all. Equally good for a stag/lads weekend, as a couple or solo. It has a lot to offer in terms of things to do, the football and the ice hockey were great spectator experiences with food and drink delivered to your seats. Premium seats were a minimal amount more. It's the land of beer and you can do beer museums, city tours or even an escape room with actors (few scares to be had). The typical Irish pubs and sports bars in the square were £3-4 a drink but a mere block away a pint could be had for about 70p. (This was relatively recently too). The transport system is excellent and the metro trains run like clockwork.

On 31/10/2021 at 10:44, Alan_R said:

Didn't want to post one lengthy post so here's a seperate post with general stag titbits

Don't overdo the daytime "activities" depends on your mates of course but I've not been on about a dozen stags of mixed groups. Generally everyone wanted to get bevvied. The thought of getting up the next day to do go-karting or paintball sounds like hell for most.

So instead Spectator sports work well. Football or ice hockey have been great. 

Maybe a wee tour of some sort, bus or boat if you want a general wee nosey at a place. If folk aren't into it, it means they can just chill.

Escape rooms once you get into them are great for groups too. You generally have a choice of themes so don't have to be scary.

My opinion on a few destinations:

prague (as above)

Krakow (great value, good for food drink and activities daytime. Nightlife a little less welcoming)

Hamburg (absolute carnage, if you want a party then Hamburg's the place. Really gets going midnight thru til 7am. So o e for the party animals but less interesting daytime)

Budapest (Hungarians are really friendly and it's great value)

Albufeira (actually one of my favourite stag do. If you have a more relaxed group you can lounge by the pool by day or take a tuk-tuk tour. The nightlife is split into old town and "the strip" so it's really convenient and not an issue for groups once you hit the pubs and clubs)

Berlin (the one to AVOID. I'm sure its a great city in many ways and football at the Olympic stadium was brilliant. However it's HUGE and spread out, an absolute ball ache for organising a group. Some areas for nightlife are seriously dodgy as well. We felt uneasy more than once and that was in a group. Lots of gangs openly dealing drugs outside the clubs etc) 

If I think of anything else I'll try post. stag does are a blast, I love seeing new city's and letting off some steam with the lads.  Make the most of it.

Prague is a lovely city 

Always wanted to go Berlin ! 

2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Ashbourne Derbyshire: Pretty standard stag do. Lots of oldies so no strippers or knocking shops. Paintball, clay pigeon shooting and go carts. 6/10

Edinburgh: Pubic triangle. Clubs, bars, restaurant. Go carts during the day. 5/10

Norfolk Broads: 7 nights on a barge. Stopping off along the way for lunches and dinners. Ate on the boat as well a few times. Good laugh actually but not much to do apart from chug about. Ended up at Great Yarmouth. Good nightlife. Lots of slappers desperate for a shag whilst partners were offshore. 7/10

Albefuera: Strip is nuts. Lots of stag do hen do action. Cheap booze. Charles all over if that’s your thing. 7/10

Pitlochry: Standard fare again. White water rafting was good laugh. Good pubs and food. Bungee jumping. 6/10

Inverness: Paintball again. Nightclubs, bars, restaurants. That sort of fare. Bit boring. 6/10

Belfast: Cant remember much of this one. Carnage. Very expensive. Nearly got run over by a bus getting home. 8/10

Lol you’ve certainly been about lol 😂 Norfolk sounds classy !!’ 

30 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Prague is a lovely city 

Always wanted to go Berlin ! 

I went on a stag do to Berlin the week before I went to Prague to watch Hearts.

Berlin is far better in every way IMO. Loved it. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Lol you’ve certainly been about lol 😂 Norfolk sounds classy !!’ 

Was a weird stag do. Getting plastered on the boat the mooring up for the night playing cards was decent. Most stag dos you don’t really get a chance to have a good chat with those attending. 

Great Yarmouth with the greatest of respect to anyone who lives there is a bit of a shit hole. However it’s a lively shit hole. We all agreed the nightclub was outstanding. Not just because the bursds were predators. Played some good tunes, looked amazing and drinks were cheap!

We only crashed the boat twice. Not bad considering.

16 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Was a weird stag do. Getting plastered on the boat the mooring up for the night playing cards was decent. Most stag dos you don’t really get a chance to have a good chat with those attending. 

Great Yarmouth with the greatest of respect to anyone who lives there is a bit of a shit hole. However it’s a lively shit hole. We all agreed the nightclub was outstanding. Not just because the bursds were predators. Played some good tunes, looked amazing and drinks were cheap!

We only crashed the boat twice. Not bad considering.

Yes I’ve been on a barge holiday too . We did the Stowerton  ring ! Great time . Some of the crew did take the boating lark to a serious degree though. Desperate to change the things ( can’t remember the name of them ) etc 

4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

leo-attention.gif.0ce3511895638d486139175b7e3a6438.gif

8 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I went on a stag do to Berlin the week before I went to Prague to watch Hearts.

Berlin is far better in every way IMO. Loved it. 

Curious as my opinion couldn't be more different.

-Berlin is more expensive

-Harder to navigate

-So vast and spread out to the point of inconvenience

-feels less safe (imo)

-I know this will be low down on list of stag priorities but Prague is a far nicer looking city as well.

What did you find better? 

8 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Curious as my opinion couldn't be more different.

-Berlin is more expensive

-Harder to navigate

-So vast and spread out to the point of inconvenience

-feels less safe (imo)

-I know this will be low down on list of stag priorities but Prague is a far nicer looking city as well.

What did you find better? 

We stayed fairly local to our hotel which was fairly near the zoo. Pubs were fantastic and locals were friendly in my experience. Didn't find it that expensive.

I found Prague especially Wenceslas Square tacky and dodgy as feck. Loads of characters who I suspect were not native to Prague trying to sell you drugs and some dirty hoor tried to dip my pockets when she sidled up to me looking for business. ( I wasn't 😄).

Selkirk_Jambo
11 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

We stayed fairly local to our hotel which was fairly near the zoo. Pubs were fantastic and locals were friendly in my experience. Didn't find it that expensive.

I found Prague especially Wenceslas Square tacky and dodgy as feck. Loads of characters who I suspect were not native to Prague trying to sell you drugs and some dirty hoor tried to dip my pockets when she sidled up to me looking for business. ( I wasn't 😄).

A mate of mine here in Berlin got taken for almost 2 grand in a strip club in Prague. Got utterly pissed and the stripper just kept charging his card for dances and champagne. He only noticed the next morning and had to come back early cause he was tapped 😂

Prague used to be amazing but the prices have skyrocketed. I'm not sure it's any cheaper than Berlin to be honest, at least for beer and food. Berlin is pretty down and dirty but that's part of the charm. Poor but sexy and all that. 

4 hours ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

A mate of mine here in Berlin got taken for almost 2 grand in a strip club in Prague. Got utterly pissed and the stripper just kept charging his card for dances and champagne. He only noticed the next morning and had to come back early cause he was tapped 😂

Same happened to my brother some years ago, I shouldn't laugh but feck it 🤣

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

What are the chances of a foreign stag do this year then folks?

Give me some hope please!

If you're a Kurdish refugee who has lived here for years then contact the Home Office. Chances will look pretty pretty pretty pretty good.

Edited by Der Kaiser