Most important/vital goal you have missed?

Muppetboy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Stu_HMFC

• martoon

• Muppetboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not many.

I do remember the home game v Bordeaux. Missed their first goal and thought the game was going to extra time. You can imagine my disappointment and confusion when the stadium emptied at the end.

4 minutes ago, Homme said:

Not many.

I do remember the home game v Bordeaux. Missed their first goal and thought the game was going to extra time. You can imagine my disappointment and confusion when the stadium emptied at the end.

😂

Last game I ever left early I missed the seventh against hamilton accies. It was Robbos 100th goal for hearts. Never left a game early since because of that. Lesson learned the hard way! 

Only time it’s ever happened to me was when I decided to tie my shoelaces right when Rudi was taking that free kick against St Mirren :vrface:

Missed dozens, especially against Hibs. Just can't sit there when we're losing against them. Ozturk probably being the worst but as long as Hearts score, it's totally immaterial whether I'm there to see it or not.

The 2 late goals against Rangers 1984. Was still in the ground but too many people near exits. The shock on the faces of the Rangers leaving the main stand was beautiful.

Missed Robbo's opener on Wayne Foster day.

Got to the top of that dirt track hill, squeezed on to the Dunbar end and discovered we were already 1-0 up.

Strange thing was that, at the moment Robbo scored and the Hearts support went wild, we must have been walking past the school and/or approaching the turnstiles. Iirc, you could even see the fans on the Dunbar end after you'd passed that building and their main stand entrance came into view.

But, we neither heard nor saw a thing. 

Yes, drink had been drunk, but not that much.

Still a mystery to me how we could be so close to ER but be oblivious to the fact Hearts had scored.

The Bannon Flick

Missed a very late equaliser at East End Park back in the 90's.

Hearts were murder that day, seem to recall it was extremely windy and freezing cold.

We were in the terrace opposite the main stand and were outside the ground behind the terracing at the away end when we heard the roar go up.

Had to wait until we were back in the car to find out Scott Crabbe had grabbed the goal to snatch a 1-1 draw.

Also, very nearly missed Colquhoun's goal in the Scottish Cup semi-final v Dundee Utd in 1986. Had been held up massively on the way to Hampden and had just found our spot on the terracing when JC smashed in what would turn out to be the one and only goal of the game.

Having re-read the post title, the goal we missed wasn't that vital or important tbh - but there you go 

Edited by The Bannon Flick

Fitzroy Pointon

Only one that springs to mind is the last minute penalty at Ibrox. Think it was 93/94 season and we were 2-1 down. Got onto the concourse and the shout went up but we couldn't get back up the stairs due to the crowd. 

Saw Willie Jamieson's last minute volley v. Celtic through that green mesh that was behind the goals when they knocked the terracing down. 

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Both Graeme Weir's goals.  Was already out the ground after Hibs 4th.

I stood up to leave when Hibs made it 4 but couldn't.

Praise be for the narrow passageways and exits of the old main. They were choc-a-bloc with fans desperate to leave.

Had to just stand there and er, continue suffering the humiliation of a 2-4 New Year defeat by Hibs at Tynecastle. 🤭

38 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Missed Suso getting the penalty in the cup final, luckily I managed to get back to my seat for the penalty. 

Very much this.  I was in the posh seats and there was a blockage at the door of the bar.

6 minutes ago, bairdy said:

Missed two of the goals at the 5-1 final.

At the loo both times.🤔

We have a winner! That’s heartbreaking!

I missed Rudi's opener in the 2-1 semi final win over Celtic in 2012. I was last in the queue at the refreshments stall and got served after the 2nd half started. Was just turning round when to go back down to my seat when Rudi scored. Although I didn't see it as there was far to many blocking my view, I still went absolutely mental jumping about everywhere on the concourse, the chips went flying but I didn't care. The refreshment staff looked at me as if I was deranged, again I didn't care.

The thing was I was at Hampden early that day and was sat outside reading a Sunday newspaper awaiting the turnstiles to open. Many fellow Hearts supporters walked past me asking how I could be so calm? I answered everyone of them the same. Don't worry we are winning today. It was just one of those times that I knew.

Jangling Jack
23 minutes ago, martoon said:

Missed Robbo's opener on Wayne Foster day.

Got to the top of that dirt track hill, squeezed on to the Dunbar end and discovered we were already 1-0 up.

Same. Stuck in a huge queue trying to get up the hill at that shithole. 

Was just about to leave the ground at Dens when Alan Lawrence equalised in the 90th minute to make it 3-3 (finished 4-4 and lost on pens for

those who don’t remember ) in the epic league cup game back in 95.

I had my back to the pitch as did masses of other JTs.  Managed to retake my place on the terracing and watch the remainder like

many others. 

I don’t think I’ve missed any of our goals but I was held up during the 4-3 cup final game against Rangers and only got in when we were 2-0 down.

However from what I saw of that game we won 3-2 🤷‍♂️

Bazzas right boot

Sow v Celtic but I had a function to attend so left early for that reason, rather than us getting beat... After the 4-4 game. 

Scotland 2 v Liechtenstein 1 was a game were I was on my way out then the whole stadium swayed back in. 

Carange that was.

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, martoon said:

I stood up to leave when Hibs made it 4 but couldn't.

Praise be for the narrow passageways and exits of the old main. They were choc-a-bloc with fans desperate to leave.

Had to just stand there and er, continue suffering the humiliation of a 2-4 New Year defeat by Hibs at Tynecastle. 🤭

Strange game that, we were very good. All over them. 

They scored 4 goals, it's a funny game. 

29 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Strange game that, we were very good. All over them. 

They scored 4 goals, it's a funny game. 

It's often overlooked, by the Hibby in particular, that Hearts deserved a point that day. 

As you suggest, after they went 0-2 ahead we were all over them. The de Vries equaliser had inevitably written all over it and it looked like a Hearts winner would follow.

It was only in the last few minutes of the 90 that the game started to get played in our half. I remember being slightly disappointed that it was going to finish 2-2 but overall that a draw was probably fair.

The next 6 minutes was quite a roller coaster. 🎢

Edited by martoon

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Both Graeme Weir's goals.  Was already out the ground after Hibs 4th.

Snap! I was only 11 year old. Left with my dad, By the time we were back to the van it was 4.4 😂

Left the Aberdeen v Hearts game league cup a few season ago we then scored as soon as I left the gates at Wheatfield we tried getting back in with 100's of other fans, security trying to stop everyone running back up the stairs. Got back in watched extra time and pens from Z. 

Edit - That league cup semi v Motherwell at Easter Road in 2005. Think it was 2.0 to Motherwell with 5 to go we scored to make it 2.1 I was in the old east stand right next to Motherwell fans we left walking behind the stand got to last door off the stand before the exit  looked in seen the boy from Iceland making it 2.2 went back to our seats and conceded in the 120 min  

Edited by Stu_HMFC

37 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I don’t think I’ve missed any of our goals but I was held up during the 4-3 cup final game against Rangers and only got in when we were 2-0 down.

However from what I saw of that game we won 3-2 🤷‍♂️

Similar story for me up at Aberdeen in 1990.

Midweek LC tie, bus held up by roadworks, soaked climbing over the hill to the beach end and, by the time we got in, 0-2 down after 15 minutes.

Game over (0-3, ft) and a huge waste of time and money. Soaked again getting back to the bus and a long, miserable journey home.

I didn't join the calls for Doddie's head at the end but the anger and frustration I could understand.

Missed Bordeaux's opener and spent the rest of the match thinking we were still in the tie

Right until some ignorant buggers started filtering out before the final whistle and I demanded to know where the **** they thought they were going

Probably missed a few but not many important or memorable ones. There was an early kick off once and I thought it was half an hour later starting. Got in and Lee Wallace had put us ahead really early on. Can’t remember for the life of me who it was against. 

Actually another one like that I remember. Against rangers, I was pretty young. Got in a few minutes late with my uncles and Scott Crabbe had scored, finished 1-0. 

Edited by GinRummy

3 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Missed Bordeaux's opener and spent the rest of the match thinking we were still in the tie

Right until some ignorant buggers started filtering out before the final whistle and I demanded to know where the **** they thought they were going

It was some bloody goal! Albert Riera went on to play for Liverpool. Gordon could of done better 😋

millerjames398
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The 2 late goals against Rangers 1984. Was still in the ground but too many people near exits. The shock on the faces of the Rangers leaving the main stand was beautiful.

Robbos scissor kick 😍😁

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

It was some bloody goal! Albert Riera went on to play for Liverpool. Gordon could of done better 😋

I have seen it since, wasn't a bad strike.

Was heart broken when I found out we were out, utterly deflated.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Bumped into my uncle about an hour after that game and he thought we'd lost 0-2.

Took a bit of effort to convince him I wasn't winding him up. 

I was somewhere between the goals and the McLoed Street exit when we made it 1-2 so, fortunately, managed to see Robbo's equaliser.

But only just. Vaguely recall finding myself pretty much out of the stadium when the celebrations died down.

We didn't get a winner, did we? 😄

1 hour ago, bairdy said:

Missed two of the goals at the 5-1 final.

At the loo both times.🤔

My missus went to the loo just at the end of half time and missed Grainger’s goal. She was confused as hell when she got back to our seats, but was in time for the carnage of Gowser’s goal. 

Pasquale for King

I can’t remember being there but seeing as my old man stayed in the boozer until the last possible second I’m sure we would’ve missed the Derek Johnstone goal in the 1976 cup final that was scored before 3pm. 

Pasquale for King

One trip to Dunfermline we got the train, climbed up that hill, into the first boozer, had five quick pints, no food, walked down behind a guy with the biggest joint I’ve ever seen, spent the first half shouting a Barry Nicholson, he had left them that summer. 
Still not sure if I missed a goal or the final score 😆

2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Or leaving early 😂

I was at the Scotland v Isreal game a couple of weeks ago and one of the boys who comes to the games with us decided to leave early to get back to the train station early to miss the crowds..not only did he miss the winning goal, we all made it back to the train station before him :lol:

4 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

I was at the Scotland v Isreal game a couple of weeks ago and one of the boys who comes to the games with us decided to leave early to get back to the train station early to miss the crowds..not only did he miss the winning goal, we all made it back to the train station before him :lol:

Haha serves them right 

Was in the Gents at Parkhead  cup final 1998,missed the first couple of minutes when the tanoy announced “scorer for Hearts Colin Cameron”,nearly got messy.

William H. Bonney

I was late getting into parkhead in 98. Therefore I missed Cameron’s penalty. 
I was in lower b for the 4-4. Saw the 3rd goal as I was climbing the stairs. Celebrated the 4th in the tunnel to the concourse. 
Missed John colquhouns goal at hampden in 96 as I’d left at 0-4. 
Probably missed numerous others due to toilet breaks and leaving early. 

9 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Did he walk like ? Haha

2 hours ago, karipidis said:

Missed Suso getting the penalty in the cup final, luckily I managed to get back to my seat for the penalty. 

I got talking to someone I bumped into on the concourse at HT. Only realised the second half had started when I heard the commotion for the penalty. Plunged down the wrong set of stairs and found myself celebrating goals three and four with complete strangers. 

4-1 and game over by the time I got back to where I was supposed to be.