Derek Rutherford RIP

Papa

I regret to post the passing of Derek Rutherford. He played for Heart of Midlothian between 1964 and 1967. He was a centre half but also featured at right back and other positions across the back. He was a regular attender at Hearts games and paid his way along with other supporters. He was a guest of the club at the recent game against Livingston although he was extremely ill. The team cheered him with a great 3-0 victory in his last visit to Tynecastle. His 75th birthday would have been this Saturday and hopefully the club will be able to mark his passing in some small way. Derek was until this last 6 months an extremely fit guy who until the pandemic played walking football at least twice a week. He had lost none of his skill and reading of the game. A nicer person you would struggle to meet. He will be sorely missed by all who had the good fortune to know him.

D52241E3-8CE5-4BAD-B723-1AC89A51AFCB.jpeg

Sad news indeed. I remember Derek well. A good right back who didn’t get many chances in the first team due to Chris Shevlane and Danny Ferguson occupying the spot during these years.  RIP Derek.

I played with Derek at EOS level when he was in his mid 30s, playing part-time and working in civil engineering. He was still an excellent player who led by example, a quiet leader on the park who always encouraged the young guys in his team. An absolute gentleman. God bless you Derek.  

Das Viertel Hearts

A lovely thoughtful post.  And we all hope Hearts will remember Derek too.  Players who read the game are unique!! 👍

RIP Derek. I played at Preston Athletic when you were one of the coaches 25 years ago. I left half way through the season. The next season you asked if i wanted to go to Edinburgh United where you were then coaching. I am grateful to you for asking me to go and thinking i could do a job for you and regret to this day not taking you up on your offer. You were a great guy and a more down to earth, genuine person you will not meet. Forever in my thoughts. God bless 😥