TV reception on the move/abroad….how?

highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

Hi,

As the title says.

Seeing as technology overtook me a few years back, I wanted to know how to watch uk tv on the move, I believe a Kindle fire stick (or the likes) might help.

A couple of scenarios such as:

I am able to connect to a decent Wi-fi signal.

I have a free public Wi-fi signal or, a public hotspot signal (I believe I need to pay a fee yes)

I have no wi-fi signal but, I have 4g with unlimited data on my phone.

any pointers would be appreciated 👍

highlandjambo3
15 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Freeview app on your phone. 

Ok……and can I watch this with 4g only and (should have made this clear), I don’t want to watch a wee screen….I want to view this on a full size tv.

Over the past couple of years we've been taking a firestick with us when away. This connects to the HDMI port of a tv and is loaded with apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime and IPTV, currently one provided through the services of a frequent poster on kb. Together with a VPN this gives us access to all the tv we would get at home and it's on the TV set. It does require WiFi though.

You’re probably better off creating a hotspot from your phone. That will give you “WiFi” for the t.v. / firestick, as long as you have 4g. 

5 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Ok……and can I watch this with 4g only and (should have made this clear), I don’t want to watch a wee screen….I want to view this on a full size tv.

4g only yes. 

You can cast to to larger screen. 

But, I have just discovered that the Freeview App just lists all the channels etc but you need the individual channels 'players' to play their content. 

i.e. You need i-player, STV player, All 4, etc on your phone. The Freeview app just makes it easier to see what you are missing on live TV.

If your phone has USB C then you could get a USB C to HDMI connector and connect your phone to the TV like that. No other equipment required. Or connect a laptop to the TV via HDMI and play the channels through that, with your laptop tethered to your phone.

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

If your phone has USB C then you could get a USB C to HDMI connector and connect your phone to the TV like that. No other equipment required. Or connect a laptop to the TV via HDMI and play the channels through that, with your laptop tethered to your phone.

Ah but...

Your phone must have video output through the charging socket (usb-c in my phone). My phone and tablet dont have video output, so cables were of no use and returned to Amazon.

12 hours ago, RobboM said:

Over the past couple of years we've been taking a firestick with us when away. This connects to the HDMI port of a tv and is loaded with apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime and IPTV, currently one provided through the services of a frequent poster on kb. Together with a VPN this gives us access to all the tv we would get at home and it's on the TV set. It does require WiFi though.

I'm in Portugal just now and this is exactly what I am doing. 👍

7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Ah but...

Your phone must have video output through the charging socket (usb-c in my phone). My phone and tablet dont have video output, so cables were of no use and returned to Amazon.

Ouch! I hadn't considered that

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Woooshhhh……

What are you all talking about?  I need pictures 😂😂

For watching on  full size TV

Either

1. Take a portable TV aerial.

2. Take chromecast or Amazon Firestick. 

If the above suit you, more details will be advised :lol: