Sorry guys, but I hope you don't end up with Holloway

Guest zeeko1

Guest zeeko1

Friendly Foxes fan here guys. Always kept an eye on things at Tynecastle as one of my brothers in law is a big Jambo (though he hasn't renewed his season ticket this year which is unheard of! Says he won't be back till the 'crackpot dictator' sells up). I know you're all desperate for a manager but IMHO Holloway ain't your man. Absolute disaster for us. Some will point the finger at our nutty owner (sound familiar?!) but Holloway has to carry the can for our unforgiveable slide into the League One. No disrespect intended but the fact he's touting himself for the Hearts job is an indication of how low his stock is down here. He ain't daft and will have seen that a lot of the previous targets have steered clear of the job so will have presented himself well to Romanov. I gather his limited coaching qualifications (anyone watching us last season would be entitled to ask if he had ANY coaching qualifications!) are likely to scupper his chances though which I think you guys will be thankful for in the long term.

TBH, things have been on the slide since O'Neill, but Holloway really was the worst of a grim bunch. Levein has since proved he maybe didn't get enough time here, but he seemed a bit out of his depth. His side was, shall we say, a bit 'industrial' on the eye. Maybury was a decent enough lad, but the big fella de Vries was a lazy so and so.

Whatever, I hope the search comes to an end soon. And don't worry, I won't make things any worse for you by coming up for a game. My brother-in-law has banned me from Hearts games as he reckons I'm a jinx. I've been to three games at Tynecastle with him: The first was a pre-season friendly way back in the early 80s when we beat you 3-2 (I remember a young John Robertson sticking away a penalty in the game), the second was few years later when you got knocked out one of the cups (League Cup I think) 2-0 by Montrose and, worst of all, I was at a game around Christmas time a few years back when Hibs won 3-0. Not much festive spirit in my sister's house that day :sad:

Morning zeeko1,

TBH i don`t think vlad will go for him as you said he`s been touting himself in the media, if we do get him what was his signings like

Zeeko,

Appreciate your thoughts.

What was the style of football that Holloway liked to play - was it HooF (like our neighbours down Leith)?

I doubt it will be him. In fact I have no idea, but probably more likely to be Csaba if its one of those two. Its been so long sice we had a manager i think im finding it hard to believe it will be anyone! However, just because he did badly at Leicester does that make him a bad manager? Didnt he do well at his other clubs? dont know a lot about the guy to be honest. Oh good luck for getting promoted again, its sad to see Leicester where they are now.

200milesfromgorgie

it seems that people are split between Csaba and Holloway. But the people who are against holloway seem to have a reason (mentalist or overrated manger etc). But when it comes to Csaba people just say they'd rather not have him.

I like Holloway alot, as a person. Makes me laugh everytime i see him on the telly or hear him on the wireless.

But my mind say Csaba will be better within this crazy hearts set up.

Chad Sexington

From reports coming out of Africa it looks like Csaba is our man anyway.

I voted for Holloway in the poll but I may be changing my mind on that one based on a few things I've read about him since.

The OP seems to back that up.

It would appear that Csaba is easily the more tactically astute of the two.

Shame though cos Holloway's press conferences would be hilarious.

:)

The Future's Maroon

His press conferences would be funny tho?!!!

200milesfromgorgie
From reports coming out of Africa it looks like Csaba is our man anyway.

I voted for Holloway in the poll but I may be changing my mind on that one based on a few things I've read about him since.

The OP seems to back that up.

It would appear that Csaba is easily the more tactically astute of the two.

Shame though cos Holloway's press conferences would be hilarious.

:)

maybe Ian Holloway would take another job within Hearts? Vlads jester?

The Future's Maroon
Makes me laugh everytime i see him on the telly or hear him on the wireless.
The old wireless eh, half the folk on here wont have a clue what you mean!! Ach, I'm getting old!

Chad Sexington
maybe Ian Holloway would take another job within Hearts? Vlads jester?

He could be our very own Mr Claypole. ;)

childrens70s_rentaghost_gal.jpg

monkfish1979
I know you're all desperate for a manager but IMHO Holloway ain't your man. Absolute disaster for us.

Word. Thought this as soon as his name popped up. I'd be 100% gutted if he was appointed. Amazing that some people on here were happy with the news that he'd been linked with us.

He could be our very own Mr Claypole. ;)

childrens70s_rentaghost_gal.jpg

TBH, I was looking forward to him & Vlad sticking it right up the OF in some of their combined post match rants.

Other than than that, a lot of people don't think much of the guy which is concerning.

The Old Tolbooth
Friendly Foxes fan here guys. Always kept an eye on things at Tynecastle as one of my brothers in law is a big Jambo (though he hasn't renewed his season ticket this year which is unheard of! Says he won't be back till the 'crackpot dictator' sells up). I know you're all desperate for a manager but IMHO Holloway ain't your man. Absolute disaster for us. Some will point the finger at our nutty owner (sound familiar?!) but Holloway has to carry the can for our unforgiveable slide into the League One. No disrespect intended but the fact he's touting himself for the Hearts job is an indication of how low his stock is down here. He ain't daft and will have seen that a lot of the previous targets have steered clear of the job so will have presented himself well to Romanov. I gather his limited coaching qualifications (anyone watching us last season would be entitled to ask if he had ANY coaching qualifications!) are likely to scupper his chances though which I think you guys will be thankful for in the long term.

TBH, things have been on the slide since O'Neill, but Holloway really was the worst of a grim bunch. Levein has since proved he maybe didn't get enough time here, but he seemed a bit out of his depth. His side was, shall we say, a bit 'industrial' on the eye. Maybury was a decent enough lad, but the big fella de Vries was a lazy so and so.

Whatever, I hope the search comes to an end soon. And don't worry, I won't make things any worse for you by coming up for a game. My brother-in-law has banned me from Hearts games as he reckons I'm a jinx. I've been to three games at Tynecastle with him: The first was a pre-season friendly way back in the early 80s when we beat you 3-2 (I remember a young John Robertson sticking away a penalty in the game), the second was few years later when you got knocked out one of the cups (League Cup I think) 2-0 by Montrose and, worst of all, I was at a game around Christmas time a few years back when Hibs won 3-0. Not much festive spirit in my sister's house that day :sad:

So what your saying apart from Holloway is pants is that your a total Jonah whenever you come to Tynie ;)

Guest zeeko1
Zeeko,

Appreciate your thoughts.

What was the style of football that Holloway liked to play - was it HooF (like our neighbours down Leith)?

To be quite honest at times you couldn't actually work out what 'style' his team was supposed to be playing! In terms of 'Hoof', Levein probably adopted the most blatant punt up the park to a big target man approach during his time at City and it's interesting to see he seems to have learned from that and tried to embrace a less painful to watch style with Dundee United. But then again the Championship is a hell of a competitive league and he wasn't the only guy who had some success in Scotland to fail (Jefferies, Williamson...). I know you guys probably revile him because of his Hibs background, but the one guy who cut his managerial teeth in Scotland who made a genuine impact in the Championship in recent years was Tony Mowbray. West Brom played the best football in the league by a mile and I was pleased they went up. There was talk when he was at Hibs that Leicester were interested in him but it never came to anything. I dearly wish it had...

To be fair, being a failure in the Championship isn't necessarily an indication that he'll be a failure in the SPL.

In fact, didn't Mark McGhee get two clubs relegated in that league?

To be fair, being a failure in the Championship isn't necessarily an indication that he'll be a failure in the SPL.

one season wonder , hope he falls on hisfat Selik erse

Guest zeeko1

He didn't start his managerial career in Scotland though. He's one of the most despised managers ever at Leicester (walked out on us after getting us relegated from the Premiership to take over at Wolves, the second time he'd done the dirty on a club. (Cheer up Mark McGhee...oh what can it mean... to a fat Scottish b*****d etc). The only club he got relegated from the Championship though was Brighton, who he got promoted the season before. Hard as it is to say anything good about him, his record overall is pretty good and I think he emerged a better man from a long spell out of the game prior to Motherwell appointing him. I was surprised but mildly impressed that he decided not to follow the money at Tynecastle.

Another guy who DID start off in Scotland was Paul Sturrock, who initially did very well with Plymouth but has been a bit up and down since then.

200milesfromgorgie
one season wonder , hope he falls on hisfat Selik erse

funny how he's already got a 'H' in his name :P

He didn't start his managerial career in Scotland though. He's one of the most despised managers ever at Leicester (walked out on us after getting us relegated from the Premiership to take over at Wolves, the second time he'd done the dirty on a club. (Cheer up Mark McGhee...oh what can it mean... to a fat Scottish b*****d etc). The only club he got relegated from the Championship though was Brighton, who he got promoted the season before. Hard as it is to say anything good about him, his record overall is pretty good and I think he emerged a better man from a long spell out of the game prior to Motherwell appointing him. I was surprised but mildly impressed that he decided not to follow the money at Tynecastle.

Another guy who DID start off in Scotland was Paul Sturrock, who initially did very well with Plymouth but has been a bit up and down since then.

Did McGhee not begin his managerial career at Millwall? I can't remember if he ever managed up here before taking over at Motherwell.

FWIW I don't particularly want Holloway as a manager, the SFA would crucify him if he came out with the same press conferences as he did down South. Despite the exerience of British football, he has exerience of relegation with a club and I don't think we should be looking at managers who have taken clubs down.

$ilvery_Moon

Paul Sturrock has done a great job everywhere he has been since Plymouth. He made Southampton a small fortune despite only being given a few months in charge. He signed Crouch and Kenwyne Jones who they made multiple millions on in selling.

He won promotion at Wednesday in his first season in charge. The season before that they were very close to relegation to the bottom tier. He then kept them up despite having a pitifully small budget and was sacked ridiculously unfairly by ex-chairman Dave Allen early the following season. This despite making them over ?2 million on Madjid Bougherra, being out of the bottom 3 and in the midst of a horrendous injury crisis.

He then went to Swindon where he won them promotion from League 2. Again at the first time of asking. They then stayed up comfortably and finished mid-table the season after that.

He's now back at Plymouth who he helped to transform from a League 2 side to the Championship club they are today. He'll have a big job next season though because Plymouth are very much a selling club. He lost Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, Barry Hayles, Akos Buszaky and Dan Gosling last season. He'll possibly lose more this summer. I'll be surprised if they can keep hold of that Hungarian winger Halmosi. He looks a very good player.

Paul Sturrock is a very under-rated manager in my opinion.

Guest zeeko1

Glad to see you didn't end up with Holloway. What's the general feeling on the new guy then? Bit of an unknown quantity it would appear. I spoke to my brother-in-law on the phone earlier as I thought he'd be a bit cheerier now that the managerial saga is finally at an end. He's not impressed tho. Reckons he's just another yes man and says he's got no plans to renew his season ticket. I guess time will tell eh?

Anyway, that's me away on my summer hols. Cheers for your replies. I'll keep an eye on things down Tynecastle way...here's hoping the new fella is still in charge when I get back ;)

Glad to see you didn't end up with Holloway. What's the general feeling on the new guy then? Bit of an unknown quantity it would appear. I spoke to my brother-in-law on the phone earlier as I thought he'd be a bit cheerier now that the managerial saga is finally at an end. He's not impressed tho. Reckons he's just another yes man and says he's got no plans to renew his season ticket. I guess time will tell eh?

Anyway, that's me away on my summer hols. Cheers for your replies. I'll keep an eye on things down Tynecastle way...here's hoping the new fella is still in charge when I get back ;)

We're all sitting naked with an orange in our mouths.

We're all sitting naked with an orange in our mouths.

Are your stockings in the wash mate ?

Are your stockings in the wash mate ?

Yip, had a wee accident after watching the press conference.

:rolleyes:

Archived