Jump to content

The best book ever written


rudi must stay

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Tazio

    7

  • JamesM48

    6

  • The Real Maroonblood

    5

  • EH11_2NL

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Konrad von Carstein

The bib...🙈

 

For unputdownableness, for me it was IT by Stephen King.

The best book series is Under the Eagles by Simon Scarrow.

 

Very subjective and I now have loads more books popping into my head...

Link to post
Share on other sites

“ in cold blood “ by Truman Capote . It was revolutionary for its time as it was basically a documentary but in book form. Its about two killers who murdered a family in Kansas and the repercussions from that . Capote Interviewed both killers in prison and probably over identified with this . A fantastic book . However there are so many others I also like . Particularly Patricia Highsmith , Ruth Rendell ( when she writes as Barbara Vine , Dorothy L Sayers , Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Thomas Harris 

Edited by JamesM48
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Bible by a country mile.

Best work of fantasy and fiction certainly

Link to post
Share on other sites
scott herbertson
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

“ in cold blood “ by Truman Capote . It was revolutionary for its time as it was basically a documentary but in book form. Its about two killers who murdered a family in Kansas and the repercussions from that . Capote Interviewed both killers in prison and probably over identified with this . A fantastic book . However there are so many others I also like . Particularly Patricia Highsmith , Ruth Rendell ( when she writes as Barbara Vine , Dorothy L Sayers , Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Thomas Harris 

 

 

You need to get on my website and start buying books there James - 1000s of mysteries 

 

image.jpeg.dd7812ada6b6966a2730f76b7a047001.jpeg

 

i like the Barbara Vines too - particularly A Dark Adapted Eye and Fatal Inversion

 

www.hadwebutknown.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
McGlynn The Money
3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

For me Roy Keane's The Second Half 

 

Watership Down or The Hobbit. Not at the same time, that would be ridiculous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pimp by Iceberg Slim. Objectively not sure it would be crowned the best book ever but it was a great read on a number of levels. 
 

Its about the life of a pimp  It’s semi autobiographical based on the authors life’s. It’s told in a very real way, with no judgements and it’s raw as hell. 
 

It also led me to find Donald Goines who also wrote some real hard hitting stuff, with dope fiend sticking out.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, stevie said:

David Niven’s “the moon’s a balloon” or “send on the empty horses”.

Never read it but I’ve heard it’s a great read.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, McGlynn The Money said:

 

Watership Down or The Hobbit. Not at the same time, that would be ridiculous.

Currently re reading Plague Dogs by Douglas Adams  great book

Link to post
Share on other sites

Papillon by Henri Charriere

 

It's exaggerated, and in places completely fabricated, but it's still a great read

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

“Como jugar futebol” by Del Usional and Ian Hibern

 

Not too bad.  Faded a lot in the second half, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

The God Delusion

Was hard going for me. Dawkins is superb but Christ (see what I did there?) he's hard to follow at times.

 

5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

For me Roy Keane's The Second Half 

I have NEVER read a decent sportsmans biography or autobiography. They are so samey.....'There was a game away to West Ham when I .....bollox....bollox...bollox....'

Link to post
Share on other sites
inspector
3 hours ago, stevie said:

David Niven’s “the moon’s a balloon” or “send on the empty horses”.

Just started reading TMAB again. Really funny

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, inspector said:

Just started reading TMAB again. Really funny


love his books,have you read “bring on the empty horses”?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wont say best books ever written but the 5 books I have enjoyed the most.

Stalin by Simon Sebag Montifiore

A mind boggling insight into the murder and chaos of his reign.

Most of which it seems was fuelled by vodka.

It just blows your mind the numbers involved.

 

One flew over the cuckoo's nest by Ken Kesey .

Not sure I'd have got it in quite the same way without having watched the film

The Godfather by Mario Puzo 

The book goes into much more detail and is as good as the film

 

Acid House Stories and Maribou Stork.

I know he is a Hibs so and so but his early stuff was great to read .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Was hard going for me. Dawkins is superb but Christ (see what I did there?) he's hard to follow at times.

 

I have NEVER read a decent sportsmans biography or autobiography. They are so samey.....'There was a game away to West Ham when I .....bollox....bollox...bollox....'

Andre Agassi was a great read.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Papillon by Henri Charriere

 

It's exaggerated, and in places completely fabricated, but it's still a great read

 

I bought it last year and still not opened it.

(I'm a shit reader)

Was recommended this book 40 years ago, one day I will start it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I bought it last year and still not opened it.

(I'm a shit reader)

Was recommended this book 40 years ago, one day I will start it.

I’m similar.

There are lots of books I would love to read but I don’t have the patience for reading.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Sense Of Freedom by Jimmy Boyle is a belter. Read it a few times. How he never died with all the beatings is a mystery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, Spitonastranger said:

Last exit to Brooklyn, still gives me the fear 


Read it a long time ago, it was brilliant and brutal. You can tell the influence it had on Trainspotting too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

A Sense Of Freedom by Jimmy Boyle is a belter. Read it a few times. How he never died with all the beatings is a mystery. 

He was an absolute scumbag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists or The Gaffer: The Trials and Tribulations of a Football Manager by Neil Warnock.

 

I can never quite decide.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Savage Vince
1 hour ago, Zico said:

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. The madness of war was never funnier. 

 

It's a work of genius. You'd run out of your own burning house with it in your hand and Sick Puppy by Carl Hiassen in the other. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He was an absolute scumbag.

No denying he was a wrong 'un. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Spitonastranger
59 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:


Read it a long time ago, it was brilliant and brutal. You can tell the influence it had on Trainspotting too.

Film matched it which was some going. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No such thing as the best book ever of course. 
But if there was there’s a fair chance it’s The Grapes Of Wrath. 
Or if you want to mess with your head The Tin Drum by Gunther Grass is decent nomination. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zico said:

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. The madness of war was never funnier. 

I met him once, lovely man, and incredible to hear him read bits of the book in his own voice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh

Unable to offer up a best ever book but these are still some of my very favourite reads.

330919._SY75_.jpg

887348._SY75_.jpg

th-5.jpeg

th-7.jpeg

th-6.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Savage Vince
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He was an absolute scumbag.

 

Still is. He didn't move to Marrakesh for the beaches. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

 

Still is. He didn't move to Marrakesh for the beaches. 

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

 

It's a work of genius. You'd run out of your own burning house with it in your hand and Sick Puppy by Carl Hiassen in the other. 

Funny, grim, deep, it’s so perfectly balanced. Slaughterhouse 5 a good companion but more horrifying and out there due to Vonnegut’s experience. I can’t imagine how to articulate what they experienced but they did it in the most incredible way. Apocalypse Now the filmed version of them both I think. All genuine art. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I met him once, lovely man, and incredible to hear him read bits of the book in his own voice. 

Wow. That is something I’d have loved to experience. I genuinely wouldn’t know what to say to him that wouldn’t sound asinine - it’s my favourite book etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a huge Stephen King fan so love most of his books but my favourite is Swan Song by Dean Koontz 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...