How good is Devlin ?

NB GIN

13 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Didnt say anything  about titles. Just that Hearts shouldn't be worried about going to Ibrox.

Its the usual pish  8 games in. Stand corrected if wrong but he had to use the word 'dive' in an interview which suggests someone asked him about the winning of the second penalty.

Anyhoo, McKay should be able to give him good advice about playing at Ibrox.

Edited by Riccarton3

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• upgotheheads

• HeartsandonlyHearts

• GinRummy

Tom Hardy’s Dug
13 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Rather than dreading it, because of Devlin and the attitude of the whole squad, I bet they can't wait to get to ibrox.

First time we've been like that since 06/07 imo.

I can't wait either.  Counting down the days.

05/06?

By the way - a lot of people vastly overrating Ian Black on a couple of threads here.

Did a good job at a difficult time but he couldn’t lace the boots of or come close to Beni or Cammy. 

He played well for us for 6 months FFS.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

8 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

05/06?

By the way - a lot of people vastly overrating Ian Black on a couple of threads here.

Did a good job at a difficult time but he couldn’t lace the boots of or come close to Beni or Cammy. 

Given the importance of the day, he did have a some game in the cup final. Very disciplined performance.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

05/06?

Is that not longer than Cammy or Beni?

IB gave an outstanding 5-1 performance but it is difficult to compare him with the present duo - different times, different circumstances etc.

All I'll say is I was happy then (5-1) and I'm happy now.

Goldstone Wonder
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

05/06?

Couldn't agree more. 

On 04/10/2021 at 12:13, upgotheheads said:

In general we seem to want to walk the ball into the net rather than take snap shots.

I think we do want to walk the ball into the net. That's a Neilson thing. And very successful it is too. Last season's goal difference proves it. 

Takeshi kovac

Think this could be a defining season for us Jambos,  if we are in Europe next season I really hope Beni and Cammy are still pulling the strings in midfield. We can sell them for millions after a European run 😍

9 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

05/06?

If for nothing else,  Ian Black eliminated Thumb early in the 2012 final.  Never seen again.

upgotheheads
9 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

05/06?

I tend to agree, he never really fulfilled his potential and was inconsistent but he made up for that in the 2012 final , which was his best game for us.

He also figured prominently in this game.

Celtic 1 Hearts FC 2 Scottish Cup Semi Final 2012-13 - YouTube 

21 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

He's like one of those yappy wee dugs that wind up the big dugs at the park. Hes ****ing brilliant! 

Cracking description. 

I've watched Devlin the last two games, been absoloutely brilliant, looks like he loves it here, smiling a lot, but the boy can play, buzzbombs around the park, seems like he gets everywhere, wins tackles, wins headers, can pick a pass, looks superb to me.

A_A wehatethehibs
11 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

05/06?

One game is all that’s needed to become a beloved Hearts legend. Ian Black had that game.

The only regret is, that we could not go on to see the player he could’ve become that Sergio was moulding him into. We only saw it for 1 game, but that 1 game is enough for me. He played like a combination of Scholes, Xabi, Roy Keane, Souness, Pirlo all rolled into 1 player for that single 90 minutes of his career. And that 90 minutes is enough.  It is the iconic performance any Hearts fan has ever put in a Hearts shirt IMO. We were all Ian Black that day. Sunny day, Cruise control, Hibs baws absolutely burst. So he deserves to be overrated. As for Beni and cammy what the **** has either of them done yet? **** all. Good starts for the both of them but a long, long way for them to be mentioned in the same breath as Ian Black. Let alone talk of lacing boots. It’s his boots they couldn’t lace the man done permanent damage to Hibernian FC. Scars that will never heal.

Plenty time for these 2 new midfield lads to put their names up there with the midfield legends of this football club. But as of right now they’ve done the square root of **** all. I look forward to seeing what they can achieve on the big occasion should they manage to get there. 

On 04/10/2021 at 08:43, gashauskis9 said:

Aggression of Black, drive of Cameron and shitehousery of Naismith.  What a package 👍

Spot on.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

One game is all that’s needed to become a beloved Hearts legend. Ian Black had that game.

The only regret is, that we could not go on to see the player he could’ve become that Sergio was moulding him into. We only saw it for 1 game, but that 1 game is enough for me. He played like a combination of Scholes, Xabi, Roy Keane, Souness, Pirlo all rolled into 1 player for that single 90 minutes of his career. And that 90 minutes is enough.  It is the iconic performance any Hearts fan has ever put in a Hearts shirt IMO. We were all Ian Black that day. Sunny day, Cruise control, Hibs baws absolutely burst. So he deserves to be overrated. As for Beni and cammy what the **** has either of them done yet? **** all. Good starts for the both of them but a long, long way for them to be mentioned in the same breath as Ian Black. Let alone talk of lacing boots. It’s his boots they couldn’t lace the man done permanent damage to Hibernian FC. Scars that will never heal.

Plenty time for these 2 new midfield lads to put their names up there with the midfield legends of this football club. But as of right now they’ve done the square root of **** all. I look forward to seeing what they can achieve on the big occasion should they manage to get there. 

I dunno about 1 game. While we was bang average, if that, for most of his time here, he was excellent for that whole season and immense during the final. A big part of that I think should be attributed to Paulo. 

6 hours ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Think this could be a defining season for us Jambos,  if we are in Europe next season I really hope Beni and Cammy are still pulling the strings in midfield. We can sell them for millions after a European run 😍

Champions league run 😏

On 05/10/2021 at 17:55, Takeshi kovac said:

It'll be interesting to see how we do in the January window if we're still in touch of the top of the league. Winning the league for us will always probably be a pipe dream, but if we're there or there abouts surely we go for it in January given the automatic Champions league spot. That money would transform us for years. 

46 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

It'll be interesting to see how we do in the January window if we're still in touch of the top of the league. Winning the league for us will always probably be a pipe dream, but if we're there or there abouts surely we go for it in January given the automatic Champions league spot. That money would transform us for years. 

Another forward would be ideal similar to Liam. Don't think we need much but I would be happy with another striker. 

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Another forward would be ideal similar to Liam. Don't think we need much but I would be happy with another striker. 

Second that, one thing I like about this squad RN + Savage have assembled is we shouldn’t have to worry about players being played out of position to cover injuries too much, midfield & wings we have really good depth now, plus Haring can come in to cover CB if theres an injury crisis in that area, and we’ve 3 players that can play LWB if you include Halliday. The only areas that concern me at all are up top where we only really have Boyce & Gnando or we’d need play a winger up top & I’d like another RB to cover Smith too, ideally attack minded & more of a natural wing back.

August Landmesser
2 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

It's more important to keep this squad together in January - although another striker would be handy!

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

It's more important to keep this squad together in January - although another striker would be handy!

Yeah good point,  would be seriously disappointing to lose some of the newer guys so early. 

Until (if) we get a third striker in, we've got Gino, Woodburn and possibly Walker who could play there if required?  I think we're fairly well covered for now.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Dusty said:

Until (if) we get a third striker in, we've got Gino, Woodburn and possibly Walker who could play there if required?  I think we're fairly well covered for now.

I'm hoping we get to see Walker run out as a sub in Boyce's place for a bit at some point in the next month or two. I don't think he can hold up a whole match, but he's never lacked a nose for goal and the way we play with Boyce doesn't require him to be charging into the box and getting on the end of crosses all day.

Let's judge him at Xmas and not put too much pressure on the lad, I will be interested if he can stay calm at Ibrox and how he fares against Brown.

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

We won't lose Beni or Devlin early.

Their careers with us are in their infancy and they are on decent contracts. 

They will go eventually, but when we are ready to sell them and for good money. 

This is our strategy moving forward. 

That's good news.  Imo Beni, Devlin and possibly others would do well to stay with us for two seasons.  If they excel over that extended period, they will attract bigger clubs, better football and better money.

I’m slightly concerned that Devlin might get carried away given the atmosphere at Ibrox. Someone needs to give him a good talking to about being competitive but not overly aggressive as you just know what will happen!!

14 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

I'm curious as to whether 2nd or 3rd is better. 3rd, assuming one of the top 2 wins the cup, is guaranteed Europa Conference League at the minimum. That's about 3 million quid. 

Does anyone know what 2nd place guarantees, assuming 1st and 2nd don't win the Cup? 

On 05/10/2021 at 09:31, Riccarton3 said:

Given the importance of the day, he did have a some game in the cup final. Very disciplined performance.

Disciplined? Was extremely lucky to be on the park after 10 mins

7 hours ago, Norm said:

I'm curious as to whether 2nd or 3rd is better. 3rd, assuming one of the top 2 wins the cup, is guaranteed Europa Conference League at the minimum. That's about 3 million quid. 

Does anyone know what 2nd place guarantees, assuming 1st and 2nd don't win the Cup? 

3rd is second qualifying round of the conference league. (2 rounds away from the group stages) 2nd is the second qualifying round of the champions league. (3 rounds away from the group stages)

I would think that the difference in money is significant.

Edit:  Just noticed that my info for the champions league is for this season so might not be correct. (facepalm)

Does the second qualifying round losers in the champions league not parachute into the diddy tournament anyway? Bottom line is that finishing second must be better than third for us.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

22 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I'm hoping we get to see Walker run out as a sub in Boyce's place for a bit at some point in the next month or two. I don't think he can hold up a whole match, but he's never lacked a nose for goal and the way we play with Boyce doesn't require him to be charging into the box and getting on the end of crosses all day.

Yes, totally agree.  I think he can play there, certainly to fill in or as sub.  He's got the ability.

• 4 months later...
Kalamazoo Jambo
On 03/10/2021 at 18:48, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Based on my initial observations, closer to (whisper it) Colin Cameron. Maybe not the same goal threat - but we’ll see.

I may regret this prediction :laugh:

Goal machine.

HeartsandonlyHearts
44 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Had a much better game today apart from his goal.

Someone on the game thread says he gets worse every game. It wasn’t me.

16 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Booked today for having the audacity to try a get a cross into the opposition box. Scottish football officials suck.

Think it was more the head to head stuff after the cross but when a player grabs you and pulls you towards them there ain’t much you can do but as usual the ref booked both players when really only the St.mirren player should have been booked 

1 minute ago, theshed said:

Think it was more the head to head stuff after the cross but when a player grabs you and pulls you towards them there ain’t much you can do but as usual the ref booked both players when really only the St.mirren player should have been booked 

Ref had a mare today. Clearly wanted to play with his cards a bit more.

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Had a much better game today apart from his goal.

This too. He spent the day being a pest around their box, and pulled defenders out of position to create space for Boyce (sigh) more than once.

HeartsandonlyHearts
2 hours ago, theshed said:

This is at least the third time he’s been grabbed by a player and not once a red card. Don’t see any opponent grabbing Halkett by the shirt or throat. His height definitely empowers opposition to think it’s ok to bully him.

12 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

This is at least the third time he’s been grabbed by a player and not once a red card. Don’t see any opponent grabbing Halkett by the shirt or throat. His height definitely empowers opposition to think it’s ok to bully him.

Maybe needs to lean into it more, ie go to ground.

Ref booking both was another cop out. Our refs are so shit. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
16 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Am I imagining it or did we used to be able to refer incidents that should be red cards to a compliance officer? 

Jambof3tornado
25 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Reminds me of Ian black

gives 100% but not all that good 

Niggly wee scrote every team needs.

Booked once again for being assaulted.

Tidy finish.

10 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Reminds me of Ian black

gives 100% but not all that good 

Used to say that about Gattuso...

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Am I imagining it or did we used to be able to refer incidents that should be red cards to a compliance officer? 

Certain clubs probably can. Some (us) cant.

It’s written in the bye laws.