Retired

Sharpie

Retired October 1991, thirty years since I got up to go to work, stopped it for golf and other entertainments. Eternally grateful to my father who from an early age pumped me to be a policeman for all the benefits, clothing (uniforms) regular pay, pension, no lay offs strikes etc. Early retirement, I was fifty six. My boss screwed up and tried to make me retire earlier than I wanted, and threatened to terminate me if I didn't, got to retire on the date stated instead of having to work to May 1992 to get the full pensions I have, and also got full salary and medical benefits until 1993. All because a stupid man made threats he could not justify. Sometimes lawyers are well worth consulting.

I've retired several times.  The first time was from IBM Canada, but then I got a job offer from Kodak Canada. After I retired from that job I got a job offer from Nissan Canada, then back to IBM for a few years, and finally with Aviva for the last three years.

When I left Aviva it had been 52 years since I left school, and I figured that enough is enough.  I still liked working, and was getting very good money, but the 60-minute commute twice per day made me jack it in.

Don't have a time in mind as such but just planning to trudge on on an open-ended basis while accumulating savings and pension contributions.  May decide to revert to part time hours at any point if something suitable appears.  May opt to drop deid before next payday.  

Greedy Jambo

I got a taste of Retirement when i was put on furlough for nearly 2 years. 

I loved it, but i can imagine that you'd start to get a bit bored after a while. 

Part-time work is the way to go, i think. 

17 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I got a taste of Retirement when i was put on furlough for nearly 2 years. 

I loved it, but i can imagine that you'd start to get a bit bored after a while. 

Part-time work is the way to go, i think. 

Have never suffered boredom. We had an excellent period of retirement, as stated earlier both loved golf, had a big beautiful house with a view of the local lake mountains and the golf course, in between times we travelled, sometimes with a group of our fellow golfers a bus trip to Reno or Vegas. After thirteen years we started to wonder about medical assistance, small town no hospital, fair distance to the nearest one, wife also was getting tired of looking after the big house, so we moved to our present home where I have been for sixteen years,it was a blessing we did because shortly after getting here I was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer. Surgery done at the local hospital which is a five minute drive from our home, as is the cancer clinic where I had chemo and radiation.

I have never considered a second job, I have good pensions, we made a few bucks on house sales, and my wife was an excellent money manager. Now in my lonely waning years I look back and we had many years where I paid back my wife for the many sacrifices she made for I and my career, our retirement together has been a wonderful experience and she was very satisfied with the life both our sacrifices presented. Again I thank my old Dad who because of a war and his service there lost his apprenticeship and suffered the loss by things that he knew a police career would save me from Thanks again Faither. 

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'll be required to work until I drop.

I'm curious to what it is you do Governor?

Retirement - I love it but I see people my age working with no possibility of packing in work any time soon all because they gave no thought to retirement when they were younger. They now cannot afford not to work when they should be enjoying an easy life while their health permits. 

I appreciate that when you are in your 20s, 30s and even 40s retirement will seem a lifetime away, but you can never start contributing to your pension too soon and when you take on your first mortgage stick to the final repayment date set by it no matter how many times you move. I appreciate that all this is sometimes easier said than done, but I don't know anyone who managed to do it that regrets it. 

48 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Yeah, i suppose if you've got plenty of dough, you can keep yourself busy. 

I think thats an important aspect in all sides of life. I certainly cannot complain about my past financial status. My wife and I both worked, we were lucky that we bought or built houses that increased in price dramatically. With career advancement came increased salaries, diligence in saving and spending done the rest. And we sure kept busy, happy, and contented. If you got it spend it, I make no apologies for having a good prosperous and happy life. I came from a hard working family and lived by their ethos, I wan't a top soccer or hockey player I was a working man who worked hard and with some ambition and a supporting partner made a good life for both of us.

2 minutes ago, henryheart said:

Retirement - I love it but I see people my age working with no possibility of packing in work any time soon all because they gave no thought to retirement when they were younger. They now cannot afford not to work when they should be enjoying an easy life while their health permits. 

I appreciate that when you are in your 20s, 30s and even 40s retirement will seem a lifetime away, but you can never start contributing to your pension too soon and when you take on your first mortgage stick to the final repayment date set by it no matter how many times you move. I appreciate that all this is sometimes easier said than done, but I don't know anyone who managed to do it that regrets it. 

Exactly!

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

I think thats an important aspect in all sides of life. I certainly cannot complain about my past financial status. My wife and I both worked, we were lucky that we bought or built houses that increased in price dramatically. With career advancement came increased salaries, diligence in saving and spending done the rest. And we sure kept busy, happy, and contented. If you got it spend it, I make no apologies for having a good prosperous and happy life. I came from a hard working family and lived by their ethos, I wan't a top soccer or hockey player I was a working man who worked hard and with some ambition and a supporting partner made a good life for both of us.

You've certainly had a good life, mate. 

Fair play to you. 

Carl Weathers

I'm 37, so I think I have 30 years left before I get a state pension. It would be fantastic to retire at 55 and play golf instead. Sadly I can't see that happening.

Jeffros Furios
39 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Spins waltzers and reads tarot cards .

I stopped working at 43. My wife was 42.

We weren’t sure what we were to do next, we had only a couple of vague plans.

We ended up living in four of the larger cities in Spain. Three months each in the first three then Barcelona for 11 months, which was fun, but too frenetic.

We then moved to France where we had a house already and have been there ever since.

Heading home to Edinburgh within the next 4 years, we reckon. 

been here before
10 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Ive heard tales he screams when he wants to go faster.

That might just be a hobby though.

I reckon I’ll have a fairly basic retirement but I’m ok with that as long as I can live with the necessary things in life. 
My thinking it’s all about life balance. My choice of job was never going to make me good money but the balance is I’ve always enjoyed work and it has at times taken me all over the world. Is it better to spend all your life in a job you don’t enjoy so you can have a comfortable retirement, potentially a short one if you’re unlucky health wise. Or a long career enjoying your job? By the time I retire I’ll have worked for almost 50 years, my retirement sure as hell won’t last that long. 
I understand not everyone is lucky enough to have a job they like but I have managed that and once you’re in that situation the idea of packing it in and going to a 9-5 to get a better pension doesn’t appeal. 

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Ahh they’re little *******s anyway, 😃

😀

To be honest, BJ, no regrets from me but a wee bit of a sad one for my dear wife.

42 minutes ago, Morgan said:

We ended up living in four of the larger cities in Spain. Three months each in the first three then Barcelona for 11 months, which was fun, but too frenetic.

We then moved to France where we had a house already and have been there ever since.

You win the lottery that you retired at 43? 

1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

I'm 37, so I think I have 30 years left before I get a state pension. It would be fantastic to retire at 55 and play golf instead. Sadly I can't see that happening.

I’ll be surprised if there is a state pension then Carl 

Just now, DarthVodka said:

I’ll be surprised if there is a state pension then Carl 

A lot of people seem to think the pension is the government being nice and giving you money when it’s actually them giving you your money back. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

A lot of people seem to think the pension is the government being nice and giving you money when it’s actually them giving you your money back. 

Exactly - soon enough they will just pocket it 

Dennis Reynolds

Another rollover on the euromillions so my retirement is put off untill next Tuesday.

When I inevitably don't win I plan to retire as soon as I can. That's still another 30 odd years I reckon but I don't want to be working in my late 60's. Have managed to build up a decent pot already but still a lot of work to do. Always had it instilled in me to put as much in as possible as soon as possible. Maximize what the company puts in as well. Thankfully my wife is the same.

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Talk shite on the internet, mostly.

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, Lord BJ said:
7 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Thought he was a purveyor of authentic Turkish cuisine. 

:lol:

There's an element of truth in both of these, tbf.

Damn my itinerant blood. :(

8 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Isn't it obvious. He commands Death stars. 

Jamstomorrow
49 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:lol:

There's an element of truth in both of these, tbf.

Damn my itinerant blood. :(

Well there is an illusion shattered.    I had you marked down as a rich woman's plaything!  

My wife and I were creeping up to retirement age when we bought a business looking after other people's cats.  We made a great success of it pre-covid but it's been 15 years now and getting near time to sell up.

Our big issue is what to do next.

Jamstomorrow
1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

My wife and I were creeping up to retirement age when we bought a business looking after other people's cats.  We made a great success of it pre-covid but it's been 15 years now and getting near time to sell up.

Our big issue is what to do next.

Just enjoy retirement sir.

Problem for me is the private pension increases on a very juicy basis for every year I carry on. But you can't spend it when you're gone! Could go at 55 but targetting 60. Wife is 10 years younger and already telling her how I'll be travelling the world for a bit until she retires. 😁

10 hours ago, Morgan said:

Lucky *******.

Think the secret to life is not absolutely hating what you do for a Living. Considering what I do is my ultimate passion I think I’ll keep on doing it until I drop. 

John Findlay

Think I will retire from the railway at 60. Then do what my dad did, and become a lollipop man for the beer tokens.

Actually met and got speaking the number 5 rated tour guide in the uk and number 2 rated in Scotland. He started up his business when he was 70 and is now 80 years and still going strong. Asked him why his answer “**** spending all day at home with my wife. I’ll work till I drop”😂👍

Gentleman and sharp as a tack and fit as a fiddle. Drinks and smokes as well. 

13 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Actually met and got speaking the number 5 rated tour guide in the uk and number 2 rated in Scotland. He started up his business when he was 70 and is now 80 years and still going strong. Asked him why his answer “**** spending all day at home with my wife. I’ll work till I drop”😂👍

Gentleman and sharp as a tack and fit as a fiddle. Drinks and smokes as well. 

Not old Mr Usher by any chance? 

I’m 44 and should be retired by the time I’m 55 although might go to 57. Have been saving in my DC pension since I started full-time work and have the contributions maxed out now. I’m lucky that I’m well paid but it’s just a job and there are loads of things I’d rather be doing so the sooner I’m finished the better. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Think the secret to life is not absolutely hating what you do for a Living. Considering what I do is my ultimate passion I think I’ll keep on doing it until I drop. 

Yes I agree . Imagine waking up each working day resenting and hating your work. No thanks 

32 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Retired at 60. Was always my intention but luckily I worked for over 30 years for a company with a FS pension / GPP pension. 

My wife finished work 6 months after me also with a decent pension.

Sound pensions advice also allows us to be financially comfortable. 

We now live in Dunblane, walk our dogs and enjoy the rural lifestyle. 

Our three children are all in good jobs so that is great.

We have been fortunate and I never forget that.

That sounds lovely 😊 👍 never say “ fortunate “ as it seems you both planned and worked at it to achieve the place you are in now . 

Retired/stopped working aged 51, didn't have much of a choice due to my health and the lack of suitable jobs at the time, I applied for most of the limited jobs which came up, but after being rejected time and time and time again, I just called it a day and stopped looking, work wise.

That was 9 years ago and for all of that time, I've bought and sold bits and bobs on the internet, pocket money mostly, but the beauty is that I can do as little or as much as I want, I can stop and take a break whenever I want to, hell I can even just down tools for the day and sit outside in the sun if I want to, because I'm at nobody's beck & call (expect for Mrs JJ 😄)

Boredom, christ sometimes I don't have enough hours in the day, got so many jobs around the house to do and for myself, but the secret is (works for me) never finish them all, always leave some jobs to do, because that way you'll always have something to do, if you really get bored or you just want to be left in peace.

No got much money but I'm as happy as larry, money ain't everything, my health is much more important imo, well it is to me.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I know what you're saying James but there are many people who are forced to work well beyond 60 because they have no choice. We were fortunate in that respect and yes we did plan it this way.

In no way do I want to come across as condescending; that would never be my intention. I'm not saying this very well but what I mean was at least we had a choice.

Of course there are many who work on because they love what they do 

Yes I’ve seen men working on building sites who look in their 60s . That’s not right