Why are we (fans) so eager to ‘cash in’ on new players already?

Mr Sifter

Should we maintain a challenge as sure as eggs is eggs the OF and their media pals will lift up there skirts and flash our players
It’s what they do

Clearly an important part of our new recruitment policy is to create assets for the club as mentioned by Savage,  nothing wrong with buying younger players that will develop and create value for us vs old journeymen types,  or players that coast at Hearts and are happy just to collect a wage.  

I’m not sure I’ve seen Hearts fans actually want good our best players to leave but they might be recognising that the likes of Beni are so good that bids will come in at a level we want to accept,  incoming cash that is then reinvested to further improve our squad. 

The more successful our recruitment the more we’ll need to get used to this, it’s been few and far between these past few years.  It’s a double edged sword but a very welcome problem to have! 

I’m going to enjoy Beni, Devlin, Souttar etc while they are here but I’m realistic to know they won’t all see out their contracts, or in Souttars case might not sign an extension (but that’s her a separate debate).

7 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I’ve read it a few times on here, and seen the likes of TIMS and ALIR talk about it on Twitter. “Enjoy them while they’re here, they won’t be here long” and “at the end of the season we should be looking at £3 million for Beni”. 

Dunno if it’s a younger mans thinking, but this 45 year old is fed up reading it. When did we become like this? Willing to accept our best players will be off within months of joining? Christ, Devlin and Beni have played ONE game together and there are folk oot there in cyber space discussing how much we can get for them “when” they leave ffs!!

I’d rather enjoy watching them, and hope that they could become pivotal in us building a side that can achieve things. WE own the club, we aren’t in serious debt, and we don’t need to create this narritive that our best should be sold off ASAP. 

Maybe it’s just me, but what’s the point of hoping and dreaming of achieving things when many around you only want to talk about how much money we can bring in? It’s not the balance sheets that made me fall in love with Hearts…it’s the thought of having a successful team on the park that pulled me in as a bairn. I hope and pray that I never ever become one of these punters that immediately thinks pound signs when I see a decent player in maroon 🙄 We want to be a successful club…do any other successful clubs automatically think about transferring players out as soon as they’ve arrived? If the club is looking to progress, maybe we as a fan base should too?

I 100% agree with you.

However you will get the usual retorts about reinvest in new players etc. 

It's also difficult for a club like us to honour the wages that these top players can get elsewhere. 

Let's give the guys a season or two to try and win things before the rush to cash in. 

There is surely a happy medium in this. 🤔

joondalupjambo

If Beni and Cammy do turn out to be selling material then firstly they need to stay injury free, they have to maintain their form, they will know already what a step up is and where they would like to go and then their agent needs to find buyers.

I am confident that Devlin knows from his Aussie mentors that south rather than west is where the action and bigger money is.  Beni I think will travel further afield if he thinks it was right and worthwhile.   The days of the OF being first option is gone.  Any Championship club down south will outbid them at the drop of a hat and agents know that.  

34 minutes ago, section s heart said:

That seems to be Celtic's way of operating. They've brought in huge transfer income in recent years from the likes of Dembele, Édouard, Armstrong, Tierney, Van Dijk, Wanyama, Ajer, Frimpong, Christie, others(?), but during these last few years they've fallen a fair way in European terms, and are no longer a genuine CL outfit. Loadsamoney in the bank, but if I was one of their lot, I wouldn't be happy with the recruitment strategy. One of the reasons for their implosion last season seems to have been so many players wanting their big move to England, that the dressing room fell apart a bit. Rangers seem to be less about selling players on (aside from Morelos, who may not bring in a big fee), and won the league by miles on a much lower budget. 

Not the easiest strategy to manage. 

A big part of Celtic falling apart though (and sadly it won't last forever) is that they bring in that money and only REALLY reinvested it in the first team during Rodgers term. They've paid fees for players since sure but they also; Missed out on John McGinn when he was affordable, missed out on keeping Forster, didn't bring in a genuine replacement for Rodgers (that spell under Lennon & Kennedy really really damaged them) plus a list of other failures.

Basically their board got so complacent in their position as the biggest & best team in Scotland that they just assumed 10iar was inevitable because Rangers were never catching them & as such they didn't need to worry about signing better players to replace Brown, Forrest etc who'd been there for years. Meanwhile Rangers very quietly improved year on year, backed their manager with cash & closed the gap, the writing was on the wall but they ignored it and paid the price, now they've got a full rebuild to navigate and it's showing.

We're not in the same position at Celtic where anything but 1st place in the league & European football past Christmas is a failure, we can't give Robbie an absolute war chest for transfers. If we can work on getting into European group stages even for 3/4 seasons then that may change, but unless we suddenly pull a "golden generation" of academy players out of thin air then to do that we need to bring in good, ambitious young players on a budget & hope that they play well. Then we can get them a big move (because if they’re genuinely the real deal then they’re not going to stay) for a healthy fee, then we can start offering more money and hopefully attract even better players.

Edited by boag1874

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Feel free to read my first paragraph again. I’m passing comment on a sentiment that others, alongside yourself, have expressed. It’s not solely about you toots, you’re not that important 😘😊👍🏼

Judging by the thread tho, it seems I’ve made a decent point. Quite a few agree with me. And some right good points have been made about it. Of course every player that walks through the door at Tynie should want to eventually reach a higher level than Hearts, but I don’t want to hear them say it from the word go though. And just as the players shouldn’t be talking that way, neither should the fans IMO. I’d argue that a player who talks about us as a stepping stone would be showing a lack of respect towards our club, so where does that leave the fans, who salivate over potential transfer fees literally minutes after players make decent debuts? What does THAT say about where the fans see us in the grand scheme of things? 

Between yourself taking umbrage, and someone else up the thread saying I should chill out and get in the real world, I cannie help but think you must’ve missed my point somewhere along the line. I’m perfectly chilled, I’d just prefer it if we focussed on winning things as opposed to balance sheets, that’s aw. After all, that’s what successful clubs (and their fans) do. 👍🏼

I apologise for my rather emotional response to the original post (a toxic mix of no sleep and an itchy trigger finger on the keyboard) 😀👍

21 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

I apologise for my rather emotional response to the original post (a toxic mix of no sleep and an itchy trigger finger on the keyboard) 😀👍

Not a problem Skippy, you’re a good egg 😊👍🏼

Agree with the OP.  I'd rather not hear the club publicly hoping to sell our best players or hear players talking about moving on to a bigger club. Even worse if it is a new signing just in the door or a young player after a couple of first team games. 

I understand that good players will want to play at the highest level they can and that Hearts (and Hearts supporters) will want to obtain the best transfer fees possible for players who do leave. 

However, I'd rather see Hearts best players playing for Hearts for as long as possible, hopefully as part of a good Hearts team challenging at the top of the league, making an impact in Europe, and winning something.  And ideally the occasional player moving on for a big fee when we have someone better ready to replace them.  

...And BTW I'm still raging that we sold Willie Wallace and Arthur Mann!  

12 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I’ve read it a few times on here, and seen the likes of TIMS and ALIR talk about it on Twitter. “Enjoy them while they’re here, they won’t be here long” and “at the end of the season we should be looking at £3 million for Beni”. 

Dunno if it’s a younger mans thinking, but this 45 year old is fed up reading it. When did we become like this? Willing to accept our best players will be off within months of joining? Christ, Devlin and Beni have played ONE game together and there are folk oot there in cyber space discussing how much we can get for them “when” they leave ffs!!

I’d rather enjoy watching them, and hope that they could become pivotal in us building a side that can achieve things. WE own the club, we aren’t in serious debt, and we don’t need to create this narritive that our best should be sold off ASAP. 

Maybe it’s just me, but what’s the point of hoping and dreaming of achieving things when many around you only want to talk about how much money we can bring in? It’s not the balance sheets that made me fall in love with Hearts…it’s the thought of having a successful team on the park that pulled me in as a bairn. I hope and pray that I never ever become one of these punters that immediately thinks pound signs when I see a decent player in maroon 🙄 We want to be a successful club…do any other successful clubs automatically think about transferring players out as soon as they’ve arrived? If the club is looking to progress, maybe we as a fan base should too?

Cracking OP Sifter and agree 100% I am the same age as you practically and the only time in the past we discussed Hearts players values is if we got a sniff that someone was interested in them.

Now we sign somone and he has a price on him within a week - mental

How can we expect the club of having any kind of ambition to accumulate a team that can challenge when our fans are practically pimping out our players within a pico-second of joining us. Of course ultimately we will sell good players to bigger teams but let’s at least keep them for a season or two and encourage them to aim for moves to big premiership teams after a few years of bossing a league as apposed to leaving early to league 1 or the championship for her haw before climbing to the better leagues for big money.

Reckon it’s understandable. It’s not that people want our players to be sold, they just want it not to be on the cheap for once. Who is the last proper asset we sold for decent money? I reckon it was when Hartley went to Celtic in 2007. Since then we have seen a fair few highly rated players move on for little return.

wattie exploited

keep our good p[ayers as long as we can its about time we had a good team to watch and so far the football has been great and long may it continue !!!!!!!!  :rifle:

The last time we had a great team is when Burley was in charge  so lets try and keep this team together  come on the Jambo.s !!!!!!!    :jambobanana:

Edited by wattie exploited

I think all our fans want the best for the club, we all want to keep good players.

Most are realistic though, gone are the days where players stay ten years at a club. Players know they can make far better money elsewhere so with good recruitment and selling at the right time the club can benefit aswell as the players. 

We then reinvest in the team and long term afford better players. 

29 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I think all our fans want the best for the club, we all want to keep good players.

Most are realistic though, gone are the days where players stay ten years at a club. Players know they can make far better money elsewhere so with good recruitment and selling at the right time the club can benefit aswell as the players. 

We then reinvest in the team and long term afford better players. 

Typically the trend is more money teams make the more they waste.  Celtic have followed the model of buy cheap, sell on for profit but are currently in an absolute shambles.  For a club of our stature in world football its always hard to retain good players but even harder to sign good ones so in response the OP i think I would prefer 2-3 years of success, fun and memories and then guys like Beni leaving on a free than I would cashing in early.

1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

Typically the trend is more money teams make the more they waste.  Celtic have followed the model of buy cheap, sell on for profit but are currently in an absolute shambles.  For a club of our stature in world football its always hard to retain good players but even harder to sign good ones so in response the OP i think I would prefer 2-3 years of success, fun and memories and then guys like Beni leaving on a free than I would cashing in early.

Wouldn't work like that though, it's not like it's a choose one or the other scenario. I think we need to be clever about it, get them playing well and see where we go then ultimately sell at the right time to benefit Hearts. 

Celtic are a shambles because they changed things on and off the field in key positions and got it badly wrong. 

If Beni plays the way he has over the whole season then we won't keep him long as teams will be offering good money. It's just a fact of football these days. Then we reinvest and hope we get it right again. 

As long as we’re not selling to the OF I am happy to have us sell an asset for proper big money every season, assuming of course that the cash goes straight back into the squad.

I really enjoy the This Is My Story podcast. It's a great Hearts podcast. But Beni had played like two games for us and the lads were saying he would be away in January. Depressing as ****!

Why say that?

Aye, we will lose Beni. Course we will. But I would like to have Beni for a couple of seasons and then he can go on and do his thing. I just hate thinking that we can only keep a class player for six months. It's a shite way of thinking.

No offence to the TIMS lads.

Edited by No Idle Talk

...andFulton'sBaggio

I totally agree. We should be billing this as a great opportunity for players to stay with us for two or three seasons with the challenge being to win the league. The problem with selling players on for a profit is that the market dictates that once you sell a player for 3million, it's difficult to buy a player in of equivalent or better quality for the same fee. Players of that so-called value who are known quantities and would be willing to move to us would be on a different career trajectory. They may be stepping down a level (not always a good thing). Or they may be valued in the English leagues and be far inferior to a player playing in Scotland and valued at the same amount. It's a tricky one, but I'd far prefer for us to try to keep a squad together for two or three seasons rather than sell at the first opportunity, especially as we have monthly donations coming in and are for more financially secure than we ever have been.

I'm not eager to see players leaving.  But we are a selling club and have not being doing that. Extra money could help our scouts massively in the quest for more quality.